Is it safe to Vape indoors around my kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

expat007

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2012
What day is it
The amount of exhaled nicotine is so minute that the chances of it harming your child is nil. If a parrot can sit around a vapor all day and not accumulate nicotine in its blood, your child isn't going to. If you're worried about the respiratory health of your child, forget about vaping. Move somewhere where there is no traffic. Keep them far, far away from coal fired power plants, school busses, enclosed office spaces, oil refineries, chemical plants, highways and parking lots. Keep them out of your garage and buy a 100% electric car. Do not allow them to ride their bicycles outside withing 500 yards of any automobile and especially a truck or bus.

Indoor air pollution, even in a school classroom, is proven to be an issue. So, home school them, keep them away from shopping malls and, to be on the safe side, confine them in a hermetically sealed bubble. A day outside in a typical neighborhood will expose them to far more air pollution than a day inside a reasonably ventilated house with a vaper.

Last edited:

mikkey9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
Chesterfield, England
The amount of exhaled nicotine is so minute that the chances of it harming your child is nil. If a parrot can sit around a vapor all day and not accumulate nicotine in its blood, your child isn't going to. If you're worried about the respiratory health of your child, forget about vaping. Move somewhere where there is no traffic. Keep them far, far away from coal fired power plants, school busses, enclosed office spaces, oil refineries, chemical plants, highways and parking lots. Keep them out of your garage and buy a 100% electric car. Do not allow them to ride their bicycles outside withing 500 yards of any automobile and especially a truck or bus.

Indoor air pollution, even in a school classroom, is proven to be an issue. So, home school them, keep them away from shopping malls and, to be on the safe side, confine them in a hermetically sealed bubble. A day outside in a typical neighborhood will expose them to far more air pollution than a day inside a reasonably ventilated house with a vaper.

Whilst i agree with everything you say in your post, is the fact that kids are exposed to hundreds of toxic substances every day of their lives really a good enough excuse to deliberately expose them to another (possible) one?

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
is the fact that kids are exposed to hundreds of toxic substances every day of their lives really a good enough excuse

While I agree that it is a reasonable choice not to vape around children, I don't see that post as an "excuse", but rather as a judgement of ratios. Along the lines of "drop in the ocean" if you will. From such perspective, it makes perfect sense.

expat007

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2012
What day is it
Whilst i agree with everything you say in your post, is the fact that kids are exposed to hundreds of toxic substances every day of their lives really a good enough excuse to deliberately expose them to another (possible) one?

It's not an excuse. It's a matter of proportionality. Have you checked out what's in the food your kids are eating lately? Unless they're restricted to nothing but certified organic food and purified water, the chances are that virtually everything they consume carries a risk that's higher by orders of magnitude than the miniscule amount of nicotine present in exhaled vapor. Studies also have shown that a child exposed to panoramic or bitewing xrays before the age of 10 are 500 times more likely to contract brain cancer.

BTW, the amount of nicotine in exhaled vapor is something on the order of 0.1% by weight. That's 1/1000 of the weight of the expelled vapor. How much does vapor even weigh? How much reaches your child? How much is inhaled by your child if it does reach him? Having said that, I would definitely advise against exhaling vapor while you're lip-locked on your kid.

It just seems to me that this whole issue is like worrying about a rain cloud while your kid is dog paddling for his life in the middle of the ocean.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
Nicotine is in lots of veggies and you still feed your kids veggies don't you? Monkey see monkey do is a factor if you ask me but if you think your kids don't know you vape just because you do it outside I would be willing to bet that they do. I tell my kids that they shouldn't vape when they grow up just like I teach them gun safety because we have guns in our house. You can't protect your kids from everything but you can educate them as best you can. The rest is up to them as adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread