Is Provape in danger of becoming like Blackberry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roflwaffles

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2014
United States
The amount of elitism and snobbishness coming out of this thread is silly.

Apparently anyone who wants to use 30 watts is a a kid who is missing the point of vaping and uses derogatory language that no one has used since 2000. And apparently wanting 30 watts (an industry standard at this point) is the same as wanting to be in a cloud competition and using 100 watts.

Get off your high horse, people. Your condescension does nothing to make this conversation as mature as you claim the Provari user-base to be.

graffiti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2014
CT
Dirk you so funny. I wish I could come up with material like that.

Make fun of me for working around the stupid language filter on this forum (which is ridiculous since this is a forum ostensibly for adults, or do bad words hurt your feelings? We all agree that nicotine should be limited to those over 18 right?) if you want, but my point still stands.

I also like how you completely glossed over my point. Provape is limiting its market. Maybe that's the point, I have no way of knowing and neither does anyone else.

I won't give them my money because they don't want it. They don't offer anything that does what I want. Would I rather buy from Pro Vape? Certainly. But since they think the way I vape is unsafe or something (this is coming from the plant tour vid that Busardo did) they won't sell to me. If I'd been limited to clearos I'd have been back on cigarettes moths ago.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
It's only okay to be 'elitist' and 'condescending' if you vape over 20 watts.
I find the amount of high wattage 'Nazis' far outnumber the Provari 'Nazis' these days.

As has been stated about 1000 times in various threads - 30 watts may be 'industry standard' according to your rules but the bulk of vapers on the planet still use Ego type devices.

Just because the P3 doesn't appeal to you guys it doesn't mean it's 'low powered' or 'outdated' - or that it won't sell.

Provari isn't limiting it's market either - they have their own target audience - not sub ohmers, who are actually still in the minority.

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
...Provari isn't limiting it's market either - they have their own target audience - not sub ohmers, who are actually still in the minority.

Well, they are eliminating the sub-ohm users (no, I don't understand them either) along with the vapers who prefer box mods, and those that prefer a very small eGo type unit, and those that prefer an easier to use interface (no silly menus), and those who like having 4 or 5 mods to switch between without a mortgage.

A car company can produce a 2 seater convertible with a small 4 cylinder, an reach a niche market, but if it's their only offering will be rapidly be overtaken by their competition. One size doesn't fit all, and shrinking you market is bad for business.

Moaufan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
Richland, Ga. USA
I wouldn't compare provape to rolex and evolv to Samsung.The one thing not mentioned is the VW on the P3 which most every Provari owners states VV is the only setting they would use. I'm sure that thinking will change fast. The Innokin SVD 2 will be out soon using the Evolv DNA 20 chip and will be priced under $100.00 and it too has reverse battery protection. Innokin has also set up a USA center for repairs and replacements.

I never have and never will use VW on any of the 6 VV/VW mods I own. Been using VV since my first spinner. I use the same toppers and the same resistant coils on all of my mods and still don't use the set it and forget it VW function. If the truth be known most that use that argument don't just set it and forget it either. I adjust my voltage to suite my mood. Sometimes I want a cool vape and other times I want a warm vape. If vapors fatigue is a factor and the juice needs a little boost I adjust. The set it and forget it just doesn't fly with me!

chadsmo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
BC Canada
Different strokes for different folks.

They're going for the Provari market - it's done alright so far, despite all the other mods that have arrived since 2010.

I think there is a big difference now though. When the Provari and 2.5 both came out they were actually high powered regulated devices. Last year in June I got a Nivel mod that went to 15 watts , which at the time was considered high power right along side the 2.5 Provari. Now 30 watts is the new 15 watts. Not because everyone needs 30 watts but because that's what the standard low end for regulated vaping has gone to.

There are tons of 50 watt OKR box mods out too. On that subject , I just ordered the parts to make my own. After all the shipping etc it's going to cost me around 60$ to build a dual 18650 box that goes to 50 watts.

Then there's the Raptor stuff that is 120 watts.

Most of these DNA 30 / OKR 50 watt / Raptor 120 watt mods are under 225$ some are over.

Provape is releasing a mod with a fraction of the power , which means less usability and variety , for more money. It just doesn't make any sense.

Tangaroav

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
QC & FL
Watt regulation is a lot easier than volt regulation, one less variable to worry about to acheive the desired vape quality. Provape agrees with this.

Nothing wrong with Voltage regulation, just not as precise .

What really p***** me off is that dealer-only availability. I find it disturbing to think that a manufacturer is trying to force its original clients through one more layer of profit takers.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
I think there is a big difference now though. When the Provari and 2.5 both came out they were actually high powered regulated devices. Last year in June I got a Nivel mod that went to 15 watts , which at the time was considered high power right along side the 2.5 Provari. Now 30 watts is the new 15 watts. Not because everyone needs 30 watts but because that's what the standard low end for regulated vaping has gone to.

There are tons of 50 watt OKR box mods out too. On that subject , I just ordered the parts to make my own. After all the shipping etc it's going to cost me around 60$ to build a dual 18650 box that goes to 50 watts.

Then there's the Raptor stuff that is 120 watts.

Most of these DNA 30 / OKR 50 watt / Raptor 120 watt mods are under 225$ some are over.

Provape is releasing a mod with a fraction of the power , which means less usability and variety , for more money. It just doesn't make any sense.

I do understand what you're saying, a lot of us Provari codgers are happy with 20 watts - I personally achieved vaping nirvana with my Provari 2.5 last year so my quest is over.

Don't get me wrong - I do own higher output devices. I just don't tend to get past 15 or 16 watts with them.

You should pick up an SX350 chip - I've made a couple of mods using this chip in the past couple of months and the quality of Vape from them is up there with my Provari - never bothered with the 60 watts though - I'd collapse.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Watt regulation is a lot easier than volt regulation, one less variable to worry about to acheive the desired vape quality.

Actually, assuming you're speaking about the end-user, voltage regulation is a lot better because there's no delay. Most VW devices I've tried have at least a 1/2 second delay while it measures the atty resistance (it needs to heat the coil as resistance changes at different temperatures), before it sets the voltage and fires. I wonder how ProVape are solving that delay issue. I forgot to test that the other day, so I'll go back to my local shop and test the VW delay.

Nothing wrong with Voltage regulation, just not as precise .

I don't get that comment. VV and VW are equally precise.

What really p***** me off is that dealer-only availability. I find it disturbing to think that a manufacturer is trying to force its original clients through one more layer of profit takers.

I know a lot of people are upset about the dealer-only issue, but most people don't understand business. Most manufacturers do not compete with their retailers, as their retailers are their bread and butter. Often that means the manufacturer sells online at MSRP, but retailers offer discounted prices. Think about how many manufacturers never sell direct to the public.

In this case, ProVape is not outsourcing their product to a large Chinese factory that can scale production as needed. They're making it themselves, and can only make so many at a time. It would be unfair to their retailers if they beat them to the punch and sold online to customers that would have otherwise purchased at the retailer. ProVape is simply delaying selling online until the retail orders are fulfilled. Simple supply & demand.

chadsmo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
BC Canada
You should pick up an SX350 chip - I've made a couple of mods using this chip in the past couple of months and the quality of Vape from them is up there with my Provari - never bothered with the 60 watts though - I'd collapse.

The OKR chip is 10$ and I like that it doesn't have a screen or anything and you don't need to install buttons to adjust wattage.

Tangaroav

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
QC & FL
Actually, assuming you're speaking about the end-user, voltage regulation is a lot better because there's no delay. Most VW devices I've tried have at least a 1/2 second delay while it measures the atty resistance (it needs to heat the coil as resistance changes at different temperatures), before it sets the voltage and fires. I wonder how ProVape are solving that delay issue. I forgot to test that the other day, so I'll go back to my local shop and test the VW delay.

I think you will find this 'delay' really insignificant and will find the quality of the vape much easier to maintain.

I don't get that comment. VV and VW are equally precise.

I was talking about constant vaping quality regardless of the other factors as you mentionned above.

I know a lot of people are upset about the dealer-only issue, but most people don't understand business. Most manufacturers do not compete with their retailers, as their retailers are their bread and butter. Often that means the manufacturer sells online at MSRP, but retailers offer discounted prices. Think about how many manufacturers never sell direct to the public.

In this case, ProVape is not outsourcing their product to a large Chinese factory that can scale production as needed. They're making it themselves, and can only make so many at a time. It would be unfair to their retailers if they beat them to the punch and sold online to customers that would have otherwise purchased at the retailer. ProVape is simply delaying selling online until the retail orders are fulfilled. Simple supply & demand.

You understand why all the early-adopters that are left-out dry, although THEY made Provape what it is, are p***** off. Do you also think it is normal that a company does not show loyalty to its customer in the name of greater market penetration and profit.

I personnaly think that their existing customers could instead have been given some kind of priority . This would have really help maintain Provape's image as a customer oriented company instead of what we now see.

Last edited:

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
I tend to vape around the 30 watt range, for me that's a 0.5ish ohm coil. (Starts out a bit high, moves through 30 watts then falls off acceptable right at 3.7 volts 26.33 watts is meh).

A provari new or old can't win that market over, they are giving up potential sales in a time when it would be fantastic to provide the community with a reliable and safe device. Capability to go to 30 watts would pull in many vaping enthusiasts that vape as I do. In many cases entering the 30 watt world would save a few folks from being idiots with their mechanicals.

I do have to agree the single button interface is a bit of a chore considering the number of functions available...seems antiquated and overly laborious to me, I seriously think I might be able to throw a coil together in the time it takes to fiddle through adjustments on the single button interface, that's how I feel anyway.

I recommend provari to friends who just can't be bothered with building stuff, otherwise, I'll suggest a high end mechanical mod and topper.

Maurice

This has been a pretty interesting thread, and there have been some great points made. I think some people need to calm down... But who am I to judge.

That being said, the PV 2.5 was my first mod off the ego stuff. I loved it at the time, but back then I didn't even know what the protank 2 that came included was, or how it worked. I went through the normal gamut of new tanks and everything, still loved it. My first rebuildable was a kayfun, and it opened my eyes to a new world. Before then, I was on and off of the analogs, basically vaping when my gf was around.

However, now that I am building my own coils, using RDAs, RTAs, etc i will not buy the P3. Like some other posters have said, I want a regulated mod that will do everything I ask of it, including the occasional .3 ohm dripper when I want to. Spending 200+ on a mod that can really only run single coils doesn't really make sense to me at this point in time. For someone using a clearomizer or a kayfun they'd be better off buying an MVP... Sure you can't run it over with a car but I take care of my mods.

Again, I have nothing against provape, they make a great product. I just think with the facilities and user base they have, they could make a mod that I really would pay 200 bucks for that would do everything I want it to, as well as being solidly reliable with the great customer service they already offer.

Just my two cents.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
About the only thing I could compare a Provari to a Blackberry is ... Toughness.

My BB was tougher than an army of iPhones ... seriously, I tossed it, kicked it, dropped it, ... pretty much abused it on a daily basis for 4 years ... thing never missed a beat.
My Provari reminds me about that tough old phone.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
did you even check before replying?

PBusardo's number of suscribers is 77,434.

Rip Trippers' number of suscribers is 154,953

nothing against Phil (or Rip), but at least look before commenting.
I'm not subscribed to any reviewer. I bet most people who watch e-cig reviewers aren't subscribed, either.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
In all this power/sub ohm argument people seem to forget its the heat we are needing for what we want. Just like in car stereos the lower the ohm rating the more power it takes to drive that speaker at the volume level you want. With single coils the lower the ohm the less heat you get per watt. Sure it may heat up faster but it peaks at a lower max temp which is why higher power is needed to maintain that heat level.

Multiple coils are totally different in their power requirement. You may be vaping on a .5 ohm quad coil set up at 50watts but thats not exactly true. Your actually vaping on 4 2 ohm coils at 12.5 watts each. I laugh at all the proclaimed sub ohmers that aren't really sub ohmers once you break down the specs of a build. In simplest terms those running multiple coils are just vaping more than one atty at a time. A true sub ohm coil is almost unvapeable and carries a lot of risk. One being that current can jump a gap instantly creating a dead short even if the coil stays intact (and shocking the vaper). I don't see many people vaping sub ohm single coil set ups.

What the provari 2.5 and v3 can do is more than enough for most single and dual coil set ups on the market right now and when you take those devices along with the safe build recommendations into account 20w is pushing the upper edge of those recommendations since the safe standard seems to be 1ohm or greater.

The fact that they took the initiative to create a self diagnostic system and bring out a stronger , more reliable connector format than the current 510 actually puts them ahead in the market as far as innovation goes. I for one am tired of replacing attys and mods because the 510 threads give out and will be getting a V3 just because of the stronger connector format. 510 is fine for egos and small tanks/drippers but leaves a lot to be desired in the reliability/durability department.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread