Is Provape in danger of becoming like Blackberry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Single 0.5 coil in a genesis all day every day. With my GKMF22 I can run duals or even quads I suppose, but duals is all that's really practical and not exactly needed on a daily basis.

No provari can run my preferred atty, period. That's a huge detractor.

I'm also not sure where 1 ohm is considered a safe standard, did I miss the email.

Maurice

Last edited:
A lot of people think the provari offers everything they need and is a good value for it's price. Those same people will continue to purchase them.
I don't have the time nor desire to build coils. $200 is not a huge sum though people act like it's expensive. My aspire bvc is easy and performs exceptionally well on my provari. I will continue to be a customer.

protocol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
Wisconsin, U.S.
Baditude said:
I'm not subscribed to any reviewer. I bet most people who watch e-cig reviewers aren't subscribed, either.

then look at the "views" number. Rip has two to three times as many views.

like I said, I enjoy watching both, but the poster that said Phil is more popuar was just wrong.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Multiple coils are totally different in their power requirement. You may be vaping on a .5 ohm quad coil set up at 50watts but thats not exactly true. Your actually vaping on 4 2 ohm coils at 12.5 watts each. I laugh at all the proclaimed sub ohmers that aren't really sub ohmers once you break down the specs of a build. In simplest terms those running multiple coils are just vaping more than one atty at a time. A true sub ohm coil is almost unvapeable and carries a lot of risk. One being that current can jump a gap instantly creating a dead short even if the coil stays intact (and shocking the vaper). I don't see many people vaping sub ohm single coil set ups.

While you're correct with the multi-coil thing, everything else "sure is news to me."

I use mechs. I like my dual coil builds measuring around .4Ω, and my single coil builds around .5Ω - .6Ω.

The single coil is warmer and hits full and quick like a strong cigarette. It's my ADV. The dual coil is denser and vapes more like a pipe to me. No cloud chasing going on over here.

Vaping "multiple atties at the same time" in a dual coil or larger setup is something that needs power. People like it, I like it. It's not an imagined difference or snake oil to vape multi-coil setups. Why is sub-ohming a dual coil "fake" to you and bringing you to laughter? The total load is sub-ohm, is it not?

Is this the new scoff to expect from Provari people? "I'm vaping my Kayfun at 12.5W, and each of your four coils are only getting 12.5W just like me!!! You're a fake sub-ohmer! Hahahahaha"

Well dude, buy four Provari's, stick 'em all in your mouth at the same time, and vape that. Ho ho ho...

Also, a growing number of "more accessible" toppers are coming out that benefit from and need higher wattage. Kayfun dual airflow V2, Joyetech Delta, Vaping Donuts for RDAs. It goes without saying that other major manufacturers like Aspire, Kanger, and Innokin will quickly follow suit with toppers and multi-coil setups taking advantage of and requiring higher wattage. Why? Because clearly the norm is now 30W... even on cheap entry level APVs.

Regardless, the Provari 2.5 and P3 users will not even be able to tryout these new generation toppers. What a bummer.

Kind of like a Blackberry owner looking over the shoulder of somebody having fun downloading stuff from the Appstore years ago. Missing out on something, eh?

What the provari 2.5 and v3 can do is more than enough for most single and dual coil set ups on the market right now

"On the market right now" - Come state this again 3-6 months from now.

and when you take those devices along with the safe build recommendations into account 20w is pushing the upper edge of those recommendations since the safe standard seems to be 1ohm or greater.
The upper edge is 1Ω? On todays high drain hybrid battery chemistry? Please...

Also, see above again about the "multiple atty/sticking four Provari's into your mouth at the same time thingy" and the power required for that.

The fact that they took the initiative to create a self diagnostic system

The self diagnostic system is pretty gimmicky and superfluous. Not that I take issue with it or anything. It's probably about as awesome as being able to load your own picture on an Evic Supreme screen. Whooopdeedoo.

and bring out a stronger , more reliable connector format than the current 510 actually puts them ahead in the market as far as innovation goes. I for one am tired of replacing attys and mods because the 510 threads give out and will be getting a V3 just because of the stronger connector format. 510 is fine for egos and small tanks/drippers but leaves a lot to be desired in the reliability/durability department.

In the 80's Betamax was clearly better than VHS... better doesn't win in these scenarios. Not that Provape is "licensing" the connector format or anything. I agree it would be nice for APVs and Mechs to ditch the 510 connection, but until tiny cigalikes and egos disappear it's not likely to ever happen. The connection point is going to remain that small. Honestly the strongest hope is the 20x1 threading if anything might "stick" for the advanced mod market.

Enjoy the zero toppers in existence that use this new Provari connector. I'm "sure" all the major manufacturers will jump right on it. How many people hopped on the Z2 threading standard eh? Provari would have actually been smarter to use the Z2 or 20x1 threading... but nope.

They also for some reason decided it was infinitely wise to go against the clear majority and make their mod 23mm instead of 22mm, you know, so 99% of toppers made will never match up flush. :facepalm:

I don't like comparing mods to cars or other such things... but I really can draw a little bit of a "Blackberry" comparison:

Blackberry: "iPhones are for kids. We cater to the professional businessman. Our customer base will always be there for us."

Sigh...

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
...In the 80's Betamax was clearly better than VHS... better doesn't win in these scenarios. Not that Provape is "licensing" the connector format or anything. I agree it would be nice for APVs and Mechs to ditch the 510 connection, but until tiny cigalikes and egos disappear it's not likely to ever happen. The connection point is going to remain that small. Honestly the strongest hope is the 20x1 threading if anything might "stick" for the advanced mod market.

Enjoy the zero toppers in existence that use this new Provari connector. I'm "sure" all the major manufacturers will jump right on it. How many people hopped on the Z2 threading standard eh? Provari would have actually been smarter to use the Z2 or 20x1 threading... but nope.

They also for some reason decided it was infinitely wise to go against the clear majority and make their mod 23mm instead of 22mm, you know, so 99% of toppers made will never match up flush. :facepalm:

20x1 would have been nice, but only because my favorite topper is the Heron atty, but let's be honest; Zen could never push out enough mods for the Z2 standard to take over. It was a hybrid connection for the ZAtty only, more or less. Just out of curiosity, has anyone confirmed that the Z2 and P3 threads are different?

As for the 23mm thing, if ProVape made their mod 22mm, there wouldn't be enough room for the batteries. Not and keep the wall thickness the same bulletproof design of the 2.5. I expect we'll see an OEM (and aftermarket) threaded ring that reduces 23mm (exact measurement 22.7mm) down to 22mm. Regardless, the .3 overhang of the standard cap will be almost unnoticeable.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
My Korean phone is still regulated by the fcc unlike all the Chinese mods being made. Did I call evolv Chinese made crap? No I called innokin crap because they are. And just like your entitled to you opinion about provape I have my opinions on innokin. Down regulating is more important to me then 30+watts and I'm in the majority of provari users. My Russian probably can't even wick up to 30watts and I don't drip. So please tell me why the hell I would need a 30watt device?

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

I have found most innokin products to be very reliable. Constructed well, no threading issues etc.. Their MVP 2 is one of the best selling mods on the market for a reason. Yes, a few models had some known issues, but they were fixed later on. Oh, the SVD 2 also has down stepping...just saying

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Watt regulation is a lot easier than volt regulation, one less variable to worry about to acheive the desired vape quality. Provape agrees with this.

Huh? And it only took them forever to catch up with the rest of the market with that agreeing thing?

Nothing wrong with Voltage regulation, just not as precise .

Just how precise do we need to be here? My 1.0 ohm coil measured 1.0 ohms when I started using it two weeks ago. Last weekend it still measured 1.0 ohms. Guess what? Still measures 1.0 ohms. VW is a solution largely in search of a problem.

What really p***** me off is that dealer-only availability. I find it disturbing to think that a manufacturer is trying to force its original clients through one more layer of profit takers.

I don't think that was the intent, but ProVape handled it badly and this is the end result. The limited dealer distribution as round one is nothing more than field testing for the P3. ProVape would have been better off just keeping their mouth shut about this part of the release program rather than blowing any kind of horn about it, leaving web only buyers feeling shafted in the process.

protocol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
Wisconsin, U.S.
PLANofMAN said:

As for the 23mm thing, if ProVape made their mod 22mm, there wouldn't be enough room for the batteries. Not and keep the wall thickness the same bulletproof design of the 2.5.

please, 18xxx batteries are... 18mm.

I have a 22mm Vanilla that is thick as a tank. the first thing you notice is the heft and thickness. I've dropped it multiple times on hard ground.

fwiw- if Provape isn't successful with this device--and look at the lack of enthusiasm and criticism thus far--it will be because of fans telling them to ignore criticism, not the people who are genuinely concerned about this 20w limit. (ie, the same fans who said variable wattage wasn't important)

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
In the 80's Betamax was clearly better than VHS... better doesn't win in these scenarios. Not that Provape is "licensing" the connector format or anything. I agree it would be nice for APVs and Mechs to ditch the 510 connection, but until tiny cigalikes and egos disappear it's not likely to ever happen. The connection point is going to remain that small. Honestly the strongest hope is the 20x1 threading if anything might "stick" for the advanced mod market.

Wondered when you would bring your very special brand of 'sneering' to this thread - for someone that doesn't own or want a Provari you sure post a lot in Provari threads.

Actually Beta ended up lasting longer than VHS - as a professional format.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND

please, 18xxx batteries are... 18mm.

I have a 22mm Vanilla that is thick as a tank. the first thing you notice is the heft and thickness. I've dropped it multiple times on hard ground.

fwiw- if Provape isn't successful with this device--and look at the lack of enthusiasm and criticism thus far--it will be because of fans telling them to ignore criticism, not the people who are genuinely concerned about this 20w limit. (ie, the same fans who said variable wattage wasn't important)

Not about the size of the batteries though, it's about the tube wall thickness.
This device isn't aimed at people that are concerned about the 20 watt limit.

You don't want - don't buy - how easy is that?

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Wondered when you would bring your very special brand of 'sneering' to this thread - for someone that doesn't own or want a Provari you sure post a lot in Provari threads.
I aim to please. :D

Actually Beta ended up lasting longer than VHS - as a professional format.

dirkhead_zps29e33b99.png

Not about the size of the batteries though, it's about the tube wall thickness.

You had that Vulcan mind meld with the Provape engineer, eh?

Dirkengineer_zpse87d3839.png

I kind of understand you coming to that conclusion as a Provari fan, after all the Provari does have a bullet proof standard to meet, but you'd think the "rocket scientists" could figure it out. I'm having difficulty accepting that it's 23mm for steel thickness necessity, rather than an aesthetic decision. (most likely)

This device isn't aimed at people that are concerned about the 20 watt limit.

Obviously.

What this means to Provari's position in the future market is what is being discussed. Specifically relating it to the downfall of the once almighty Blackberry. I thought the OP's post was insightful as a self-proclaimed "diehard/fanboy" and owner of Provari's going back to V1. Though on a massively smaller scale, it is easy to find parallels in the niche corner Provari is painting itself into for the next few years now that we know what the P3 specs are.

Thread title: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-provape-danger-becoming-like-blackberry.html

You don't want - don't buy - how easy is that?

Super easy. Easier than ever before. That's not good for Provape, now is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread