Is Provari worth it? How big a premium must I pay for the very best equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Target

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
East TN
Ezkill, you indicate the Ego C and Provari are different as night and day? That is good to know because the Ego C Twist is what got me interested in upgrading. The difference IMO between the regular Ego 3.7 volt batts and the twist is incredible. I just checke the USPS site and mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Cannot wait to see what the "next level" is like. I have a box of Boge 3.0 ohm SR cartos included and will go with these first. I like the LR boge on my twist, looking forward to higher voltage on the Provari with the SR. My taste buds are already watering:vapor:

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Im not a Provari user (prefer bottomfeeders) but so many people spend so much money on there way up to higher end mods myself included. The majority of us are going to eventualy end up with a high end mod so why not just take the step instead of wasteing the money on everything between. And the nice thing with the high end mods is you can usualy sell them quickly and for close to what you paid for them on the classies.

I can see a problem going that route though.(Jumping to any high end mod right off the bat) I started with an eGo, used it for 15 months and loved it. Then I got a REO Grand and adored it. Then I wanted a VV device and bought a LavaTube. I liked the vape with it and that hooked me on VV. I was close to buying a Provari when I realized that I truly loathed tanks and much, much preferred a bottom feeder. So I bought a couple of VV Woodvilles and couldn't be happier. Then when I figured out that changing to a different battery on a Grand could also give a stellar vape well, my Grand now gets as much if not more use than my VV woodvilles. Starting out with a Provari for me personally would have been a waste of money once I figured out I hated tanks. I'm one of those that believe you really have to do the drive for yourself to figure out where you want to pull off the road and enjoy the view so to speak.

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
It really is a world of difference.

For instance right now I'm vaping a juice called Hype from Alien Visions. Between 3.7 and 5.0 volts I'm getting a distinct vape every .1 increment. It's a peach and cantaloupe juice and at every voltage it's a new sensation. Once you get to about 4.6 volts on it the vape gets really warm and that changes the flavor even more drastically.

Very very noticeable difference.

But again....had I never gone down the ProVari route I probably would have been totally happy with the EGO-C's for the long run.

Whatever keeps you off analogs...

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I think its a good buy even for a beginner. The Provari is worth the money because even if you decide you don't like it the provaris have very good resale value so you have very little to loose as long as you take care of your device

Here's why I doubt I'll ever own a Provari. For me, adjusting voltage is like salting your food. You do it to taste. I don't need to measure anything other than how I like it. Neither the voltage or the ohms tell me anything about whether I like it or not. I don't want to have to fiddle with a menu. Just give me a knob that I can find without looking. The knob position is a close enough measure to tell whether anything's acting wonky. On anything I've used more than a day or two, I know about how long the batteries will last as well.

On Target

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
East TN
Well, I could not wait until after work - went home at lunch to get my new Provari out of the mailbox. Put both batteries in the charger and they were apparently shipped charged because both had a full charge in about 30 minutes or less. Tried the boge SR carto with BWB Casablanca - excellent vapor production and a noticable increase in flavor and TH at the same voltage as my twist (4.2) on a LR boge. Increased the voltage to 4.8 (SR carto), a bit too strong for my taste but 4.6 is the sweet spot with this juice. I have not had much time to play around and experiment yet but my first impressions are:

Excellent build quality
Not as big as I thought it would be
A bit heavy, but not too much so - feels good and well balanced in your hand
Menu navigation is a lot of button pushes but surprisingly easy easy to navigate
Excellent vapor production and the 0.1 volt increments DO make a difference at each increment (I have to admit I was sceptical)

So far, so good. Would I recommend this to a beginner as their first PV? No. Do I think this will replace my ego Twists? No. Do I think this will become my primary PV? Absolutely. I am impressed with this tool so far and no doubt "Made in America" exudes quality here. This fact alone is worth paying more IMO. I am an outdoorsman and spend a good bit of time on the lake fishing and no way am I going to risk having this excellent tool fall overboard. For this reason alone, I will always have my trusty Twists to rely upon.

I would recommend to the OP to start out with an ego set up (based solely on my experience, there are other brands out there that I have not tried and probably just as good in the same price range) and then after a few weeks, make the upgrade if that is what you want to do. The primary objective with vaping in the first place is to get us off the analogs and whatever does that, mission accomplished.

My two Lincolns worth.

EGO-maniac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
St. Cloud, FL
Well, I could not wait until after work - went home at lunch to get my new Provari out of the mailbox. Put both batteries in the charger and they were apparently shipped charged because both had a full charge in about 30 minutes or less. Tried the boge SR carto with BWB Casablanca - excellent vapor production and a noticable increase in flavor and TH at the same voltage as my twist (4.2) on a LR boge. Increased the voltage to 4.8 (SR carto), a bit too strong for my taste but 4.6 is the sweet spot with this juice. I have not had much time to play around and experiment yet but my first impressions are:

Excellent build quality
Not as big as I thought it would be
A bit heavy, but not too much so - feels good and well balanced in your hand
Menu navigation is a lot of button pushes but surprisingly easy easy to navigate
Excellent vapor production and the 0.1 volt increments DO make a difference at each increment (I have to admit I was sceptical)

So far, so good. Would I recommend this to a beginner as their first PV? No. Do I think this will replace my ego Twists? No. Do I think this will become my primary PV? Absolutely. I am impressed with this tool so far and no doubt "Made in America" exudes quality here. This fact alone is worth paying more IMO. I am an outdoorsman and spend a good bit of time on the lake fishing and no way am I going to risk having this excellent tool fall overboard. For this reason alone, I will always have my trusty Twists to rely upon.

I would recommend to the OP to start out with an ego set up (based solely on my experience, there are other brands out there that I have not tried and probably just as good in the same price range) and then after a few weeks, make the upgrade if that is what you want to do. The primary objective with vaping in the first place is to get us off the analogs and whatever does that, mission accomplished.

My two Lincolns worth.

Agree with the Provari and ego statements.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
V2 of the provari is put out to replace V1 . The reason was so the provari could use LR cartomizers and atomizers etc . V2 can be set as low as 2.9 volts where V1 could only go as low as 3.3 volts . Why because so much is available in LR and dual coil . Why because they are trying to give you more power by lowering the resistance . I think too much is being put out as LR causing more and more battery problems . I bought a tankomizer and with the cartomizers I had for it I could not use it on a V1 provari without burning it that is how low it was . Ego where not designed for that much current . Lately there is the ego twist but can it really handle the extra current and heat ? I am not so sure . If you take a puff wait a while before taking another puff and do what you can to keep it cool I guess you will be OK or you can buy a good mod that can take the higher current and not over heat if you puff on it a little harder and one that will last . So it is up to you if you want a disposable ecig or a mod that will last .

On Target

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
East TN
V2 of the provari is put out to replace V1 . The reason was so the provari could use LR cartomizers and atomizers etc . V2 can be set as low as 2.9 volts where V1 could only go as low as 3.3 volts . Why because so much is available in LR and dual coil . Why because they are trying to give you more power by lowering the resistance . I think too much is being put out as LR causing more and more battery problems . I bought a tankomizer and with the cartomizers I had for it I could not use it on a V1 provari without burning it that is how low it was . Ego where not designed for that much current . Lately there is the ego twist but can it really handle the extra current and heat ? I am not so sure . If you take a puff wait a while before taking another puff and do what you can to keep it cool I guess you will be OK or you can buy a good mod that can take the higher current and not over heat if you puff on it a little harder and one that will last . So it is up to you if you want a disposable ecig or a mod that will last .

Good points. The twist will not handle as many amps as the Provari V2, I am sure (2.5? not sure). Another thing I have noticed this afternoon is that I have to take some "primer" puffs on the Twist to get the vapor, flavor, TH combination that is satisfying. But, it can be accomplished with LR atty's, cartos, Ego Vision Clearomizers, etc.

With the Provari, these primer puffs are not necessary. Take one puff, inhale and that is it. Much more power, vapor, flavor, TH etc. I suspect I will waste less juice since I am puffing less and inhaling more.

The ego Twists are not in the same catetgory as the Provari and I did not mean to imply they are. I only want to say that IMO, one needs a backup that will not require a great deal of money to replace should it become lost, stolen, fallen overboard, etc. and still get the job done adequately. The Twist meets this requirement for me - YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread