Is Provari worth it? How big a premium must I pay for the very best equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDude

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2012
Texas
The issue here is innovation. Some are justifiably satisfied with the status quo, and I mean no disrespect to those that are happy with what they are using, I am as well, but a LOT of us are always in search of the holy grail and are greatly intrigued with advances in technology and sincere craftsmanship.

I am too, but I see more innovation happening in juices and cartos and attys.

Secondly, as a new vaper, I would definitely recommend using as much cash as possible exploring juices. For me at least, it took a couple of months to know what I really like and hate, and had to do that on my own. No amount of reviews could tell me what would truly taste like crap or not. Needless to say, it got expensive :)

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois

Secondly, as a new vaper, I would definitely recommend using as much cash as possible exploring juices. For me at least, it took a couple of months to know what I really like and hate, and had to do that on my own. No amount of reviews could tell me what would truly taste like crap or not. Needless to say, it got expensive :)

I couldn't agree more. None of this is worth anything if we can't find juices we like and that satisfy us. This is another one of the endless searches.

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore

E-Juice definitely needs to be explored and if you rather spend all of your vaping funds on it rather then a mod (or two) then great. Nobody should knock you for it. I definitely purchased a ton of juice before I purchased a mod. I found about 10 juices i really liked and went from there. I probably tried juice from over 90% of the reputable juice makers talked about on these forums. Hell, i probably have over 75 bottles of juice stashed away that I will probably never vape again. I usually dedicate about 50 bucks every month to trying new juice but that doesn't mean I wont purchase a ecig that is going to allow me to enjoy those juices more. Whether you spend 75 bucks or 300 bucks, a decent VV mod will likely improve your vaping experience in more ways than one.

i do agree with your analysis though.we are currently seeing more inovation with juices and attachments.

Last edited:

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
The Provari can do the same thing as all of the beginner PVs and it can also do more. I will recommend it because the OP obviously wants it and It will save them on buying some cheaper options and then also buying the Provari later which is just what I ended up doing. I sold the 3 I bought first because they were just not as good of a vape as my Provari. Anyone can say that other PVs are just as good and I can say that in my experience the Provari was the best. I tried pen styles, a V Mod 2.0 and a Rio grand. I will never be happy with 3.7 volts or even 4.2 volts again after using the Provari. I drop it every day and still it never fails me. I had to buy a leather sleeve for it because of all the scratches but it always works when I pick it back up. Also after using a self feed tank I could never go back to squanking. I hated having to pay attention to when to feed the bottom feeders. The reason we are telling the OP to go for it is because many of us tried lower cost PVs even though we wanted a Provari just to avoid the price tag but ended up buying one anyway in the end. That is what will likely happen to the OP.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
I have many mods and the best one I have is the provari . The others are good and I am sure there are a lot of other good mods out there . I like my egos and as to the price point , the ego is a battery which will wear out and need to be replaced . When the battery in my provari wears out I will replace it at about 1/3 of the cost of buying a new ego . Eventually I will be able to justify the cost but in the mean time I am enjoying my provari and all of it wonderful features . For me it just feels right and don't regret buying it in any way .

Northernshrink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Bracebridge Ont Canada
Im not a Provari user (prefer bottomfeeders) but so many people spend so much money on there way up to higher end Mods myself included. The majority of us are going to eventualy end up with a high end mod so why not just take the step instead of wasteing the money on everything between. And the nice thing with the high end mods is you can usualy sell them quickly and for close to what you paid for them on the classies.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
.,... It's about advising someone that that has just entered the world of vaping that the only way to do this right is with a Provari. EGO Twist set up with Charger, juice and atty being around $60 right is all you need to vape.

You nailed this. The "way to do this right" is to use what you like. I love my Provari, and I also love my Twist which costs me less than $25. The flawed logic is in believing there is a Right Way". The best thing we can do is let everybody enjoy his/her own journey, and stop trying to teleport them to OUR desired destination.

The Provari may or may not be "worth the money you spend for it". only the one spending the money can determine that. :)

Last edited:

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
I would rather spend $150 on juices and stocking up on good cartos, than pay that for a mod. These are the things that I can never have enough of. I don't see the big deal with devices. There's variation, but nothing truly genre/mind blowing. I can be happy with many of them. Ymmv.

LOL! Okay, you make a very good point, & truth is I got a bit overly excited going over that thread. That thing rang the bell of something I'd been rolling around in my head a couple weeks though, & I'd been wondering how long it would take someone to build it. I'm a son of a gun, it'd already been done! Woohooo! Almost felt like a prayer had been answered or something ....

Anyway KDude you're right, we've all got to set our priorities according to our Real-World circumstances and for me the reality will preclude such an investment in the foreseeable future. My late father would have likened it to spending my last $5 on a $5 billfold so I'd have something to put my money in. :D

But maybe one day, huh? Anyhow, happy vaping! :vapor:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
As much as I love my Provari.. I don't think I would have known what to do with it if I would have bought it the first week I started vaping (actually it wasn't available back then) and had I bought one right out of the gate, I certainly wouldn't have been able to appreciate it as much as I do. Maybe it just takes me longer to "get" it than it does others. That said, now that I have it.. I couldn't care less if it's outdated in a couple years.. we're not talking thousands of dollars here, we're talking $159. I've had it 6 months and it's still considered "top of the line" and I've definately got my months worth out of it (for myself). It does exactly what I want a vaping device to do... there are no silly, useless bells and whistles, just straight forward, simple usable options that I actually use. I enjoy my simple, inexpensive vv madvapes box just as much as I do my Provari. I wouldn't want to be without either one!

Last edited:

On Target

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
East TN
To the OP, I have been vaping since mid April of this year and started out with the gas station cig look alikes. That lasted less than a week and I upgraded to the ego tank style. About a month later, the e-go C twist VV's came along. BIG difference and I will always have a VV from this point forward. I agree with other posters on this thread that you will need a backup. I have 2 twists and 3 regular ego batteries. Started using clearomizers and boge cartos last month and prefer these over the ego tank due primarily to all the problems with leaking and so on with the e-go tanks. Just this week I ordered a provari but has not arrived yet. I did not really want to spend this much money but feel like, why not - most every mod out there is compared to the provari so I went ahead and took the plunge. I told myself, I probably will end up buying one later if I did not like a lavatube type or any of the other less expensive mods. Maybe this is true, maybe not but it was not very hard to convince myself. I love my ego C twists and do not plan on discarding them any time soon. These will remain a solid backup until something better in the relatively inexpensive category comes along. Who knows, I may not like the provari at all and have to sell it!!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There are preferences and there are many PV's available on the market. Many of them are well made for the money. The Provari is one that is definitely well made and the features work as advertised.

I balked on buying a Provari until I realized that a Provari cost about as much as I used to spend on cigarettes in a month. Between my wife and I, we bought 5 to 6 cartons at about $35 each. We were buying a Provari EVERY month. Once I thought about it those terms, the Provari didn't seem so expensive.

It's made of stainless steel and that means the threads will last for a long time. The workmanship is excellent and it's a high tech precision device. The electronics work well and deliver exactly the voltage that you dial. You can check it with an inline digital voltmeter and you will read the same voltage under load that you dialed in. It will be the same with a 3 ohm or a 2 ohm carto. The electronics deliver 3.5 amps of current, one of the highest available, so you can vape dual coils if you wish, although most Provari users vape a 3 ohm carto at a higher voltage.

It comes with a 1 year warranty and you can get repair service from Provape for a reasonable price. Updates are available, also. Right now, you can get your V1 upgraded to a V2 for $20. A Chinese manufactured device is repair by replacement after the warranty.

I'm a fan, but I realize that there's lots of options out there that are also good devices. Quality costs more.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
People in this thread have made some great points but I can't say I agree with them all based on personal experience.

Not being able to appreciate a high end device after a week of vaping - I can't say I agree. I appreciated it enough after 5 days of vaping that I ordered a second one. It doesn't take a vaping expert to experience the clear contrast side by side. More vapor, more flavor, warm vapor(if you like) and throat hit. Find the excel chart on here with the range of voltages used by different resistance coils and experiment. The difference to me next to the EGO-C I used for the first 3-4 days was night and day. The EGO-C is not bad and many people will be happy using them for years and years. My parents for example don't want anything else. The EGO-C is all they ever want to use.

This second point is a personal opinion and reflects my personal experience. I'm wary of devices that I put near my body or face that have the potential to explode. The Provari had the right safety features for me personally so it was another reason to pick one up. There is a really good post about safety in this forum done by a moderator with a lot of useful information. Here are some points from his post ( http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...61-exploding-mods-update-february-2012-a.html) :

Current advice

So that is the basic information we have at this date. As a result, the following advice can be given at this time:
For ultimate safety, use a single-battery mod.
For high-voltage, use a single-battery mod with a booster circuit of some kind.
No APV with full electronic control has been implicated so far, so statistically these appear safe. You might want to play safe, though, and consider one with gas vents.
Use the best and most expensive batteries you can get. It doesn't seem worth it to economise on batteries. Our opinion is that, at this time, the AW IMR 'red' cell has the best reputation. It is a lithium-manganese 'safer chemistry' cell that does not need the integral protection circuit a Li-ion cell needs. Although these have never been known to explode, no lithium battery, ultimately, is absolutely safe: they will certainly meltdown with plenty of heat and flame if abused; and if they were sealed into a perfectly gastight container, and then made to fail, an explosion might result under those particular conditions.
We know that using a two-battery metal tubemod is intrinsically more dangerous because these are where the explosions are.

I won't repost the whole thing here because I've included a link to the post. It's a good read. It also mirrors my own experience in the RC world. The two times I've seen other peoples batteries go nuclear the reasons have been the exact same as in this post. Stacked batteries of low quality (Granted in the RC world LiPo batteries were being used which are slightly different).

I'm not suggesting other mods are unsafe. NOT AT ALL. I'm just saying I prefer a single battery mod.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
For some reason I can't add an edit to my previous post.

Anyway, in another thread on this forum I asked a question about the battery feeling warm through the tube of the ProVari being normal. That's my paranoia coming through from watching a LiPo battery go nuclear in a RC Chopper that was just taking off. This heat thing only happend once. I can't seem to replicate it again and obviously it wasn't hot enough that the ProVari safety was tripped with an error code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread