Is that a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Ok I guess u guys will tell me that there are no rules and as long as like it and enjoy vaping it will be ok and all that....

But....I vape very airy mtl and sometimes do restricted dl with the same atty a hellvape md and I like that vaping style a lot...
Anyways will it be wierd to try a Clapton 30ga/40ga 8wrap ni80???? It ohms at 1.8or something....but does it matter it ohms that high?Since I am not using any mech mod...
I know they say to direct lung they use low ohms builds...but is this a thing from the old days ? And maybe cause dl attys with large amount of airflow need a thick wire at many watts to balance the high airflow???

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I think that it all depends on how warm you like a vape to be @Superuser187, as that's going to be cooler than what you've been using.

But it's worth a try at least once, at least you learn something.

Yeah I was using a twisted 28ga ni80 wire before 0.6ohms I think was 5.5wraps or something and was nice vape but a little warmer than what I wanted...I was vaping it at 25watt..... Now I tried the Clapton I mention here but it was prebuild...
The package was saying 1ohm 30/40 GA ni80 but it was 8wraps and it's wierd cause all vape apps and steam engine didn't show those specs lol
Anyways I removed one wrap and now it's 1.3ohm in both my mods and it's 7wraps or something....
I vape it at 20 watts and it's very cool vape....
I was gonna try it but the ohms seemed wierd in the steamel engine and vapetool app....
Ahhhh anyyyways hahahah

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I know they say to direct lung they use low ohms builds

Never heard that before. If you mean sub-ohm when you say low ohms, I can tell you that I vape above 1 ohm for DL all the time. In fact, right now I'm DL vaping a 1.68 ohm NiCr80 build using boring round wire, no fancy claptons or anything of the sort.

Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Never heard that before. If you mean sub-ohm when you say low ohms, I can tell you that I vape above 1 ohm for DL all the time. In fact, right now I'm DL vaping a 1.68 ohm NiCr80 build using boring round wire, no fancy claptons or anything of the sort.

Ok thanks....I just see what is mention on the internet but ofc many things are totally wrong....and i am not talking about comments of people but from sites about vaping and stuff...
    That's why I ask here cause I know u guys will tell me facts...
    I will just ignore what I read hahah
    I know anyways I should try and see myself if it's for me to use this build but i was a little bored to experiment ATM and wanted to see if it would be wierd to even try it.....seems its ok and now I vape it it's nice cool vape :D

Reactions: Mordacai

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Yeah honestly so far I wasn't looking at ohms I just was trying to get more wire to touch the cotton....and that's why I didnt wanted to try Clapton's...and even the twisted I had previously was kinda wierd for me....like some exotic huge coils I see that they are Soo complex but I don't know...why have so much mass of wire that is not touching the cotton....they look pretty tho all those wierd exotic coils hahah
    My next build gonna be many wraps and simple round wire for sure...easier to clean also i guess...
    I wanted to try stuff but I think I will go back to my simple wire

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    My best build gonna be many wraps and simple round wire for sure...easier to clean also i guess...
    I wanted to try stuff but I think I will go back to my simple wire

It's all up to you. Lots of people use claptons, large and small claptons. They say you get better flavor.

I personally don't like a lot of flavor and I don't like to more money or more time than I have to just to get nicotine, so round wire builds are the best option for me.

But claptons may be best for someone else.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Anyways I removed one wrap and now it's 1.3ohm in both my mods and it's 7wraps or something....
    With any coil I usually experiment with the wattage, too cool vape- turn up, too warm- go down. Nice and warm but getting dry hits because juice doesn't wick fast enough- dilute juice with distilled water, or use thinner juice. Changing inner diameter of the coil also affects the vape.

I'd also try a different tank if I was you, not because your hellvape md is bad but to have a comparison. Same juice, same wick, same coil, but a different tank, can give you a totally different experience

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    if @UncleJunkle says that round wire is not really a flavor enhancing option

But @UncleJunkle didn't say exactly that :D...so feel free to try round wire.

Flavor comes from many different things including size of coil in relation to the chamber size and to the air inlet size, coil placement, etc, etc, etc. Tank atties are complex in this regard. Every atty will require different things in order to maximize flavor from it.

These things don't affect me personally since I'm not a flavor chaser, but they do affect a lot of other vapers. And it seems to me that most of the flavor chasers seem to be RDA users, so that's something to consider as a flavor chaser.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    However, if @UncleJunkle says that round wire is not really a flavor enhancing option, it won't happen any soon, as I'm personally crazy about getting the best flavor possible. I don't mind smaller clouds just flavor is the thing I'm after
    I made my on simple round wire coils for an RTA and it had great flavor (but that RTA is just great for flavor anyway) I have two of them Silverplay) Built the second one with a 0.9 ohm clapton (MTL style coil)... opened the airflow a bit more and loved it. Truth is, they both taste great (but are also prone to leaking,,, very tricky to wick, different than most RTAs) Anyway, I also used the same claptons in my dual coil RDA and they worked great. Just like all rebuildables, other factors like coil placement, airflow, wattage used, and so on affect flavor... woops, just noticed UJ posted something similar ;)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yeah I was using a twisted 28ga ni80 wire before 0.6ohms I think was 5.5wraps or something and was nice vape but a little warmer than what I wanted...I was vaping it at 25watt..... Now I tried the Clapton I mention here but it was prebuild...
    The package was saying 1ohm 30/40 GA ni80 but it was 8wraps and it's wierd cause all vape apps and steam engine didn't show those specs lol
    I was gonna try it but the ohms seemed wierd in the steamel engine and vapetool app....
    Ahhhh anyyyways hahahah

I never worry about my coil's resistance unless I'm using it on a mech/unregulated mod. What I do worry about is its heat capacity versus its surface area. Using Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
    here's the results of your two coils:

2*28 ni80 twisted
    twisted.jpg

and your 30/40 ni80 clapton:
    clapton.jpg

The lower the Heat Capacity is, the cooler it will be. That's shown here by your cooler Clapton coil having over half the heat capacity of your Twisted coil. Heat Capacity is related to the Mass of a coil, along with other factors.

The next thing to look at is Surface Area. The higher this number is, the better for flavour. And in this regard your Clapton coil wins again.

Because I prefer a cooler vape and lots of flavour - my coils are always a balancing act between keeping the heat capacity and mass low, while having plenty of surface area. Flat wire and MTL claptons are my first choice.

All I'd suggest is to try different things until you find out what works for you, and how you vape. And ignore whatever wattage the calculators give you - start lowish and work your way up until you're happy.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Just vape it. If it feels right, it’s right for you.

That's the best answer yet @Plumes.91.

As you never know what works best for every RBA until you actually try different builds and find the goldilocks build.

Not too hot, not too cool. But just right.

And with the surface area @AngeNZ, one thing that makes it even better is to have more in contact with the wick.

And Flat wire is good for that, but don't go below 0.2mm thickness and into ribbon wire territory. As working with ribbon wire is like working with soggy angel hair pasta.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I never worry about my coil's resistance unless I'm using it on a mech/unregulated mod. What I do worry about is its heat capacity versus its surface area. Using Wire wizard | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
    here's the results of your two coils:

2*28 ni80 twisted
    View attachment 914843

and your 30/40 ni80 clapton:
    View attachment 914845
    The lower the Heat Capacity is, the cooler it will be. That's shown here by your cooler Clapton coil having over half the heat capacity of your Twisted coil. Heat Capacity is related to the Mass of a coil, along with other factors.

The next thing to look at is Surface Area. The higher this number is, the better for flavour. And in this regard your Clapton coil wins again.

Because I prefer a cooler vape and lots of flavour - my coils are always a balancing act between keeping the heat capacity and mass low, while having plenty of surface area. Flat wire and MTL claptons are my first choice.

All I'd suggest is to try different things until you find out what works for you, and how you vape. And ignore whatever wattage the calculators give you - start lowish and work your way up until you're happy.

YASSSSSS I am at that point also i was like f it.....i am gonna be checking only heat and surface area for cooler vape and vapor production.....i only noticed how much better surface area from 2.5mm to 3mm inner diameter can give...ok thats how i will roll from now on....

they see meeee rooolllin hey haaaaaaatin

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Since I ballsed my last post, I'll try again ;)

And Flat wire is good for that, but don't go below 0.2mm thickness and into ribbon wire territory. As working with ribbon wire is like working with soggy angel hair pasta.

Above 0.1mm in thickness is fine to coil with, you can get a 1.0mm x 0.14mm flat wire from FT. It coiled just as easily as my usual 0.5 x 0.2mm wire.

$2.28 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Ribbon Heating Wire - 0.14mm*1.0mm flat size / 30ft (10m) at FastTech - Free Shipping

$2.31 Authentic MKWS Kanthal A1 Ribbon Heating Wire - 0.14mm*1.0mm flat size / 30ft (10m) at FastTech - Free Shipping

It's the equivalent of 26g in round wire in regards to mass and heat capacity, yet has the surface area of 23g round wire

• Winner
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread