The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Is this really a no no?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by PatVapes, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    So I hate this 80/20 e-juice and I decided to take my Joyetech out since the coil on my other vape burnt yet again last night :mad: and I was wondering if it really is a bad idea to use that juice with this tiny coil.

98FF7D52-D07C-4A6F-B960-417BAA33327A.jpeg

Honestly I just feel like playing until I get my new rta.

2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    80% VG?

You could thin it with just a bit of water (preferably distilled).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  3. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    It’s 80vg and 20pg yeah. I don’t have any distilled water :( would it change the flavor?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Dunno about Peru, but you can buy a gallon bottle of distilled water in any supermarket here for about $1.00.

Flavor change should be minimal. 5% distilled water makes a huge difference to the viscosity of high-VG juice.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    When thinning VG with water, 1ml of water will result in the same viscosity reduction as 4ml of PG. I mix 100ml 90 VG with 10 ml water and the viscosity of the final product is nearly the same as 60VG 40PG.

Taste depends upon the quality of your local water. I'd buy a gallon for about a buck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. raqball

raqball Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Adding anything will change the original flavor. By how much and if it will even be noticeable is debatable...

You can also buy PG (here in the US at least) at many places over the counter or online. Your local vape shop may also keep it in stock, especially if they make their own brand of juice..

I vape 70 / 30 and never have wicking issues. Just be aware the higher PG the more throat hit you'll get from the juice... You might want to adjust wattage accordingly..

Adding a bit of distilled water may be your best bet for thinning though as already recommended..

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doffy

Doffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    it'll dilute the flavour a little, but you might not notice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Thank you for your replies guys! So I went for it and tried the juice just as it was, and oddly enough, it tastes way better on my little pen than it does on my Reuleaux :?:

• Like Like x 5
  9. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    You can just try with tap water, to see if it'll help wicking. No need to make a trip to buy a gallon. You inhale tons of tap water vapor every time you shower, so a mil won't hurt you. Distilled has no minerals, though, so it won't affect your coils. So if i were you, I'd just experiment first with tap water, to see if it's something you want to do long term. I've done it. Maybe your $3 coil won't last quite as long, but....
    And it depends on the dropper, but I found you'd be pretty close if you estimate 35-50 drops of water per ml.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jwaterski

Jwaterski Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2013
    OKC, OK
    If it taste better using the lower wattage, higher resistance of the pen, there's you answer to the burned out coils. That juice and your preference, don't sub ohm well.. when you get your new tank and start building, keep the ohms relatively high and watts low (I would try .8 and up to 1.5 or so ohms, and 8.5 to 15 or so watts) you might be a tootle puffer and just don't know it yet!!

• Like Like x 5
  11. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    I was just about to ask about ohms. How do I do that with coils for an rta? Do I have to ask the shop for sometging specific?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jwaterski

Jwaterski Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2013
    OKC, OK
    They can do it, or you can learn to build.. if you learn to build, you give yourself more freedom to experiment and find what you like. A few precautions, and it's safe enough. Your mod should read ohms accurately enough.

• Like Like x 2
  13. FΛDED

FΛDED Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 30, 2017
    Austin, Texas
    Try using a needle/clothes pin and poke holes in the coil head so that more juice gets to the coils. I don't vape coil heads but it was a trick we used at a shop I worked at if wicking and thick juices gave us a problem. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Yeah, I found that a hypo works great, if you have one. A poke in each side hole a poking the inside from the top and fluff that cotton up. Sure rather fuss with a gurgle. Priming hits work on most of my coils also. I also like to break the vacuum but I don't think that the Zenith allows for that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Are you watching YouTube videos on building?

• Like Like x 1
  16. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Yes, after watching a few I think I’m gonna stick to buying pre built. I don’t think I’ll be able to find the wire here :(

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  17. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Do I remember correctly that you're getting a rebuildable tank from a vape shop? If the shop sells rebuildable tanks, they should also have (or be able to get) wire.

Oh, and once you get a build you're happy with, you can use it for a long time. When it gets gunky, you pull out the wicking, dry-burn & rinse the coil, and install new wicking. The coil itself doesn't need to be changed out very often.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    That’s right, I’ll ask them when I go to buy the tank. I want to make a smart purchase so I’ll continue looking for other tank options while I keep on testing my drop in coils.

I think I’m okay with installing the pre built coils and wick, but I don’t know if I want to actually make my own coils. I don’t want my mod to explode on my face or something :( lol

• Like Like x 2
  19. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Have someone mail you some, a spool can last a long time

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Just do a little "upgrade" on the profile pic and @Baditude will probably send you a few thousand feet of various guages to try.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.