Issues with DIY (Liquid Barn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeryth

Oct 20, 2018
Hi so I'm a new vaper and I tried getting into DIY with Liquid Barn and I'm having issues. Before trying DIY I vaped 6mg and 12mg retail e-juice and it was a great experience. I wanted to try DIY to save money but the liquid I've made is so disgusting it makes me sick.

So I ordered 6mg Basic eliquid from Liquid Barn along with 5 flavors. Strawberry, banana, cappuccino, white chocolate peppermint, and vanilla mint. I have tried similar flavors before. I mixed the flavors with the e-liquid using their recommended percentages and the nicotine was so harsh that it tore my throat up. So I learned about steeping and breathing. After doing that, the vape is much less harsh, but the flavor is still disgusting. Each flavor in itself seems fine but all my juices are over-powered by this nasty, underlying, almost cigarette .... taste.

I've made new coils and wicks each time I switched between the juices and it's always the same. The most obvious culprit is bad nicotine. But I'm not sure because I can't find a single bad word about Liquid Barn anywhere I look. Plus it's Fall, the weather is nice and cool and the shipping was very fast too. I used the Basic eliquid as soon as I got it (it was crystal clear, by the way) and have been keeping all my juices in a cool, dark place.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had bad experiences with this company. Do they sell crap nicotine or did I just get unlucky? Or do you think it's a different problem altogether? Thanks.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi so I'm a new vaper and I tried getting into DIY with Liquid Barn and I'm having issues. Before trying DIY I vaped 6mg and 12mg retail e-juice and it was a great experience. I wanted to try DIY to save money but the liquid I've made is so disgusting it makes me sick.

So I ordered 6mg Basic Eliquid from Liquid Barn along with 5 flavors. Strawberry, banana, cappuccino, white chocolate peppermint, and vanilla mint. I have tried similar flavors before. I mixed the flavors with the e-liquid using their recommended percentages and the nicotine was so harsh that it tore my throat up. So I learned about steeping and breathing. After doing that, the vape is much less harsh, but the flavor is still disgusting. Each flavor in itself seems fine but all my juices are over-powered by this nasty, underlying, almost cigarette .... taste.

I've made new coils and wicks each time I switched between the juices and it's always the same. The most obvious culprit is bad nicotine. But I'm not sure because I can't find a single bad word about Liquid Barn anywhere I look. Plus it's Fall, the weather is nice and cool and the shipping was very fast too. I used the Basic Eliquid as soon as I got it (it was crystal clear, by the way) and have been keeping all my juices in a cool, dark place.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had bad experiences with this company. Do they sell crap nicotine or did I just get unlucky? Or do you think it's a different problem altogether? Thanks.

Hi and Welcome,
Have you tried vaping the 6mg/ml liquid "neat". Just by it's self?
What brand of flavour did you buy and at what percentages did you mix?
What equipment are you using? (mod/topper/resistance/watts)

Cheers
I

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Do they sell crap nicotine or did I just get unlucky? Or do you think it's a different problem altogether? Thanks.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Sorry to hear your problems about nicotine. We all have different tastes, suggest you experiment with other vendors and nic type alternatives.
Could read:
Freebase vs. Salt Nicotine: What's the difference?
Juices with Salts Thoughts?
Nicotine Strengths In Refill Liquid
The Sweet Spot: How Much Nicotine do You Need/Want in Your Vape?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

So I ordered 6mg Basic Eliquid from Liquid Barn along with 5 flavors. Strawberry, banana, cappuccino, white chocolate peppermint, and vanilla mint. I have tried similar flavors before. I mixed the flavors with the e-liquid using their recommended percentages and the nicotine was so harsh that it tore my throat up. So I learned about steeping and breathing. After doing that, the vape is much less harsh, but the flavor is still disgusting. Each flavor in itself seems fine but all my juices are over-powered by this nasty, underlying, almost cigarette .... taste.

I've made new coils and wicks each time I switched between the juices and it's always the same. The most obvious culprit is bad nicotine. But I'm not sure because I can't find a single bad word about Liquid Barn anywhere I look. Plus it's Fall, the weather is nice and cool and the shipping was very fast too. I used the Basic Eliquid as soon as I got it (it was crystal clear, by the way) and have been keeping all my juices in a cool, dark place.

Welcome to ecf.

First, I would try what @Izan has suggested. What he means by neat for trying just the nic is to make up a bottle(small) like you were going to add flavoring but don't. This is called unflavored nic base. Try a few mls in a tank. You will know instantly if it is the nic or not.

If it is not the nic, then maybe the % you are using for the flavoring is too high. I have found that most recommended starting points are just too high and can be very harsh or result in little to no taste at all.

I try and start new flavor at around 2-2.5% and try it first. Only need to make a very small test sample like a 5 - 10 ml bottle or so. This would give you enough to have a tank full.

Also, most flavors need what is called steeping time. This is where the flavors develop into what they are meant to be. Remember these flavorings are chemicals that need time to blend together to create the delicious vaping flavoring. I have a thought that may be the problem, is that you are trying to vape these immediately after making and yes, it will taste pretty bad.

Come back and ask questions if you have them. Remember no question is considered dumb. How else are we to learn?

eta. You could also contact Liquid Barn and tell them of your problems. They will most likely send a replacement.

:)

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    A lot of recipes and starting points seem to still be flavored for tiny vapes. With even a medium output device overflavoring can be a like an impenetrable dark wall. Most of my successes in DIY have related to light flavoring.

Further, high flavoring disproportionally increases coil gunking, like the flavoring tends to seperate and burn rather than be completely carried away with the base. You may now have a bad coil. Also variation of the juice from what you are accustomed may change needed settings.

Always mix your nicotine base and flavorings before dispensing. If mixing juice by shaking, leave room in the bottle to make it work much better.

As to flavors themselves, one good flavor out of 5 tried might be above average for randomly chosen ones i.e. not based on reviews etc.

• Agree
    Reactions: Izan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread