Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
OK so...

Im planning on getting a mod soon ( just because ) so is there a guide somewhere that explains the advantages of variable voltages? Cant seem to find one on my own. All I can find is people posting how great it is hehe.

Also, if one uses a variable voltage, should I still use LR atomizers?

Lastly, I am planning on getting the ProVari.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
LR atty's are intended to mimick the vape you'd get at higher voltages but on standard voltage devices. There's no real advantage to using an LR on a VV mod. The advantage to VV is that you can pretty much use any resistance atty you've got to get the perfect vape. Just adjust the voltage to match the atty and juice you've got.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
VV gives you a much larger range in choices for carto and atty types. If it exists and you have the right threads or adapters, you can screw it on and use it :)

VV lets you extend the life of cartos. As they age, it's common for the resistance to rise. With fixed batteries, people attempt to clean and revive them, with VV, just crank it up a little...keep enjoying until the thing stops working.

VV lets you fine tune the temperature of your atomizer, allowing you to discover different layers of flavor and throat hit with your different liquids. You'll quickly discover that each liquid performs better at different temperatures.

VV, if it is regulated/boosted can help ensure that as your battery gets low, the actual voltage it outputs is consistent throughout the charge cycle. In contrast, with an unregulated PV the voltage gradually drops over time, even though there might still be enough fire in the battery to drive the atomizer.

Higher resistance atomizers are recommended if your VV device can achieve voltages in the 5 to 6 volt range. The reason for this is because you get a much larger curve of control within the 'current limit' of your given PV. For instance...if you have a 3 Ohm atomizer on a PV with a 3 amp limit that is capable of delivering up to 6 volts, in theory you could achieve up to 18 watts of power before hitting the 3 amp limit of your device! In contrast, if you had a 1.25 Ohm atomizer, with a 3 amp limit, you'd only be able to achieve around 11.25 watts at the 3 amp current limit, at around 3.75 volts.

Some people still like LR atomizers on a VV device at lower voltages as they feel it hits their max temp a little 'faster', but be aware that you won't have nearly as much control. As in the example above, a 1.25 Ohm atty would only give you from 3.2volts or so up to around 4 volts before you hit pretty dangerous 'currents' for most batteries out there that you'd seriously want to carry around with you. As a safety feature, many nicer PVs will actually shut themselves down (Provari) or stop upping the voltage (Darwin) if a current between 2.5amps (ProVari) and 3amps (Darwin) is hit...in order to protect against 'catastrophic battery failure'.

So, with higher resistance atties, the 'curve' of adjustment is far greater...instead of a 3v range you can have up to 6, or even 7 volts as a curve to play around with in your search for the perfect hit!

Also, by going with higher ohm atties, it's possible to balance things out so you're running at much higher temperatures (lower current) with slower battery drain. You might get a significant boost to your vape time off of a single battery charge.

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Also, there something called variable power, as found in the Darwin.

VP allows you to dial in a 'power setting'. In considering Ohms Law, this 'represents' the Watt variable.

Once you set the power, a computer in the Darwin tracks the resistance of the atomizer, keeps the amperage at safe levels, and regulates the voltage at what ever level is required to maintain that steady power setting. The resolution that the Darwin can adjust the voltage is quite fine...so it does a good job of hitting sweet spots even in LR atties.

With the Darwin, you can put in a power setting...change cartos, and it really doesn't matter what Ohm it is. It'll do its best to adjust everything automatically to achieve your favorite power setting.

The Darwin is really easy to use and has a great form factor.
It fits the hand well, and pockets well depending on what carto/atty/tank type you screw on it.

It has built in Li-Poly batteries that are very light can crank out up to 12 volts (within a 3 amp current limit). They are rated at 1600mah, 12v, thousands of charge cycles, and best of all, you don't have to take them out and fiddle around to charge them, or swap them around, etc.

Compare Li-Poly batteries like these to an 18650 Li-Ion High Drain.
1. They are lighter
2. Longer Lasting: Many more charge cycles (Thousands instead of hundreds).
3. Don't have to take them out every day to charge them.
4. Can vape while charging.
5. Up to 12 volts output.

Just plug the Darwin in via mini-usb and top it off every day or two at bed time. It holds enough charge to go all day even for heavy vapors, and it can go as long as two days if you don't use dual or triple coil cartos.

It's really light considering how powerful it is (and compared to other big battery mods). The arm on it allows for nearly 180 degrees of variance in what direction you point the atty while you hold it. Works great in either hand, and makes a very steady tank platform if you set the arm in the 90ish degree range.

It has a 2 year warranty on the mod. 1 Year on the batteries.
Once the battery warranty is out, it only cost $25 to have a new set installed. Fear not on the batteries though, they are top notch...unless you get a rare dud, they're going to last you between 2 and 3 years no problem (these things have been used in cell phones and laptops for years now).

I've been using one around 9 months now...not a single problem with it. Love it!

The Vari is very nice too! I'll let Vari enthusiasts tell you all about it :)

Last edited:

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
+1 on the Darwin, I love mine. The real advantage to having VV or VP is to be able to get the best flavor and throat hit from the juice you are using. Have you ever put fresh batteries in and noticed that a juice tastes better for a little while? Have you ever noticed that a juice wasn't as good when the battery ran down or right after pulling them out of the charger? Those experiences were what prompted me to go the VP route. Also, with a higher end unit like the Provari or Darwin will maintain steady power through the entire battery cycle, instead of starting out hot and cooling off as the batteries wear down.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Having owned a Darwin since April, the internal battery is a very good feature. Have never ran out of power. I just plug on the charger when I go to bed and have a fully charged Darwin the next morning...consistantly have been getting 2 days of vaping when I do not charge each night....just saying....
The drawback to the Darwin for me is the built in battery. I don't want to be out and about and out of power. That was the final decision point that made me decide to try the ProVari.

As soon as I pay for XMas. Kids first, my addictions second.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Having owned a Darwin since April, the internal battery is a very good feature. Have never ran out of power. I just plug on the charger when I go to bed and have a fully charged Darwin the next morning...consistantly have been getting 2 days of vaping when I do not charge each night....just saying....

How many charge cycles is the battery rated at?
    Can you replace the bat yourself, or do you have to do without your PV for two weeks? How much does it cost to replace the battery?

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 9, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm not sure about the number of cycles it's rated for but think cell phone. It uses the same technology and how many times do we have to replace the battery in our cell phone? Seems like something people worry about for no reason to me. Also the Darwin has been out for some time now, how many battery issues have we read about?

The battery is warranted for 1 year so it if fails before that it's covered, after that it's $20 or $25 I forget which for it to be replaced.

It's not meant to be user replaced but if I had one out of warranty I would do it myself, in warranty I'd send it in.

Credo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2011
    MS
    How many charge cycles is the battery rated at?
    Can you replace the bat yourself, or do you have to do without your PV for two weeks? How much does it cost to replace the battery?

Thousands of charge cycles. Such batteries typically have a 2 to 3 year lifespan with daily charging until they stop taking a 'full charge', and can still 'work' for much longer but just don't 'fully charge' anymore. I.E. I have a laptop with this type batteries, at year 5 they still work, but only give me half the charge they did for the first 3 years.

The Darwin doesn't fully discharge the batteries so they should stay good and strong for years.

Under the warranty battery replacement is free for up to one year. After that, the last price I've heard about is $25.

Once the entire 2 year warranty is up for the unit itself, changing the batteries in these yourself isn't impossible. Just be careful, and solder a new set in.

Last edited:

Wharf Rat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fresno, Ca
    www.gratefulvaper.com
    Both the Provari and the Darwin a wonderful devices. I think you should also consider the Buzz Pro Buzz Pro - notcigs.com. Like the vari, it is a fully protested and regulated device. It throttles back when amps are pushed to high.

The minuses compared to the Provari~

It doesn't have a LCD.

The pluses compared to the Provari~

It handles LR.

I has 'buck circuitry' which gives close to double batt times (12-16 hrs)

15 watts max power.

Smaller and lighter.

And the big difference is the Wheel (we're all familiar with a BIC lighter haha). There is no need to press a button multiple times to get to a menu then press multiple times to get to you voltage........ you just turn a wheel. There are 3 marks that represent 3.5 - 4.4 -5.1. You just bump the dial up or down a bit to get to your sweet spot.

With all most all of us we play with voltage (on board with the Darwin and Provari, screw on $10 meter with the Buzz Pro). After a about a week of playing, we know what 'heat' we want and will move a bit from there depending on mood and or juice. I know with the vari you have to look, but if you ask the Darwin or Buzz users, we don't need to look at the voltage/wattage is, we can bump the wheel to right where we like it.

And at $30 to $50 less than the Provari It is an expectational value. I have an original Buzz the is 1 1/2 years old and a couple of nicks from being brand new.

Baldr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    I've shopped a lot, and I'm planning on getting a Buzz Pro. The same company also makes the Infinity Pro, which has essentially the same feature set a little cheaper. The main difference is that the Infinity Pro is a little skinnier, a little longer, and uses different batteries that won't last quite as long.

Part of my decision on the Buzz Pro was just deciding that whatever I was going to get had to have variable voltage. That narrows the field a lot.

This thread had a big effect on my decision that I wanted VV. Essentially, it's a poll asking what peoples favorite voltage is - their sweet spot. The vast majority voted in the 4.25 to 5.0 range. 4.5v got the most votes.

In order to vape in that range, with the exception of 5.0, you have to have a VV mod. For 5.0 there are a few regulated mods. I don't know what my sweet spot will be, but it's statistically likely that I'll be in that 4.25 to 5.0 range, too, once I have that option.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/notcigs/109206-what-your-sweet-spot-poll.html

So I decided that if I'm going to spend the money on a nice mod, I wanted VV.

After that, price, looks, reputation, etc come into play, and I've picked out the Buzz Pro. Provari got a lot of consideration, but it's a bit more expensive, and I'm not sure I like having the LED screen. Darwin was far too much of a "Star Trek" look for me, very expensive, and I didn't like the idea that I couldn't swap out batteries without mailing it to the dealer. I didn't care for that swing-arm kind of thing, either.

The bigger batteries, and the general look/feel, made me pick the Buzz Pro over the Infinity Pro.

I also considered some lower end box mod types. In particular, the VV box mod from Madvapes, which you can get assembled, or as a kit. I may end up with one of those along the way, because I expect that after I have a Buzz Pro, I'm going to want a backup.

Overall, I don't care for the look of the box mods. The wooden ones look better, and Reo is going to have a VV version before long. I expect those to be very popular, but since I can't get one yet, I haven't really put much thought into them. I don't know when they'll be available, or how much they will be.

Last edited:

MaxUT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 4, 2009
    Ogden, UT, US
    I've had a Buzz Pro since August and haven't felt the need to get anything else. It runs a decently long time on a battery set, about 10 hrs of fairly heavy vaping. It's very easy to adjust, with no need to look at the adjustment wheel... you just nudge it up or down until you hit the sweet spot for your current atty/carto and juice combination.

There are a couple of things I would change if I could:
    - The adjustment wheel turns a bit too freely and may move when you pick it up or place it in your pocket. I haven't heard anyone else complain about it, so maybe mine isn't typical.
    - The activation button is very small in diameter and not as comfortable as the one on the Provari. It is however easy to push, I'm used to it and don't notice a problem in daily use.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread