Joytech eVic combusted in my pocket, what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
Here's my story, and I hope someone can give me some advice as I am a newbie to the vaping world.

So 5 days ago, my girlfriend and I went into a nearby vape store so she could buy me my birthday present...which was a new vape setup so I could begin my journey to quitting analog cigs, which my gf has been hollering at me about for the past year.

I ended up getting the joyetech evic and for the past 4 days, everything has been smooth sailing and i really enjoyed the device for the time that it worked.

Come today, we were sitting in a movie theater and all of a sudden i felt a hot stinging sensation on my leg. I put my hand in my pocket to see ... was going on, and the culprit was my eVic. I guess for the entire duration of the movie it was firing and got so hot that it malfunctioned and I ended up getting liquid all over the inside of my pants. When i took the evic out of my pocket, it was so hot that i could not touch it with my bare hands. I quickly took it apart and let it rest.

Afterward when i got home, I plugged it in and all it says on the screen is "PROBLEM! PLEASE PLUG IN USB TO CHARGE". So when I do that, the screen doesnt change, it just stays there and quickly heats up again even if i dont have the tank screwed in or any cartomizer in. When i do screw in the tank, all i hear is the unit firing like im actually taking a drag from the thing, without even pressing the button.

The eVic has a built in 10 second protection that doesnt let you vape for more than that duration, so how did this happen? Is it defective?

I plan on demanding a refund from the store i bought it from, hopefully they take it because they told me they do not have a return policy.

Or am i SOL here? the entire setup cost me ~ 200 bucks

Any insight is appreciated

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I guess they forgot to tell you that the evic is by far the most delicate/temperamental mod out there. Great while it works perfectly. Crank it in your pocket or drop it, and it falls apart. I have three evics and have had to repair them four times. I've had to learn to solder. If they do take it back, which I doubt, as I've been turned down twice by vendors, then great. If they don't, you can replace the head for about $50. Shop around. The whole evic kit is $75 on Fasttech. Also, get some different batteries. The pink ones they come with have scared me since I got them. Try the Panny 2900 or the CGR18650CH. The new ones have two screws in the head that will keep the top on. The old ones have to epoxied in place. Never put an evic in your pocket. Lost one last week, after fixing and epoxying. I don't have the "new" one.

You can't get a better display in an APV, which I have always loved about the evic. The usb/computer connection is like no other. But the evic is limited to only 5 volts, so this is a problem even with a 3.0 standard carto sometimes for me. I would love to dress mine up with the bOd by Leo or the Kir Fanis evic (telescoping tubes), but you can't get them anywhere. I'll always have a soft spot for my evic's, but eventually, I've moved on, and rarely keep them in rotation, and now NEVER take them out of the house. Look at the Sigelei's, the iTaste's, the Vamo, or even the higher end Provari. You always need a backup anyway. Good luck to you. There are many threads on the Forum's about the evic, and they are well loved....did I mention delicate? Power up and Vape On!

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
if my shop does not take the evic back, then i am going to dispute the charge on my credit card. I asked the guy who helped me if they take returns, he said no...BUT they "might" make exchange if its defective. So I have to call them tomorrow and explain what happen with my eVic. I wish i had just gone with a provari and not with some made in china nonsense that blew up in my pocket. Im chinese myself and should have trusted my gut instinct not to trust anything made in china...lol

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
With ANY push button model, pockets, especially jeans/trousers pockets are not the best idea anyway. With your next one at least keep it in a shirt pocket, or better still get a lanyard or a hard side carrying case for it to avoid the scalding pocket problem in the future.

Or turn the evic off when not using it. Sorry to say, but this sounds like user error, and is not likely refundable/replaceable.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
i dont think its user error considering it has a built in 10s protection. Even IF lets just say my pants were pressing on the button, why would it let me keep firing for 30 minutes.

I understand. But the vendor will likely take that position. It's not like it was sitting in a box and combusted. Who really knows what happened inside that pocket? Batteries and heat are a bad combination. These high drain batts have to be treated with great care. I'm so very sorry this happened to you. Similar things have happened to me. I do know how you feel.

hadouken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Cali
Good luck at the shop. Let us know what happens. None of use were at the theater or in your pocket, so we can't really tell what happened.

Based on your message and your join date, I'm guessing you're a new vaper? Make sure you turn any of your mods off or lock them (mechanicals) before putting in your bag, your pocket, etc. Sure, it has a 10 second cut off, but why risk it firing in your pocket?

Also, I'm not a battery expert, but if that battery has been over-discharged, it may be fried. That evic battery is replaceable. My guess is that the shop will try a new battery first.

If you end up looking for another device, check out vamos. I'm not gonna trash the evic, there are enough threads for that.

Ref Minor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
UK
Sounds like very poor customer service to me. How can a shop not have a return policy for defective items like a mod, I can understand a clearo (unless DOA). In the UK we have the Sale of Goods Act Law that states an item must be fit for the purpose that it is sold. Hell, even FastTech offer a 6 month warranty on mods.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Pull the battery. Check battery voltage with a multimeter. If battery is below 3.2v, trash it. Replace battery with a reputable one.

I would assume that if liquid got everywhere, and that includes possibly inside the control head, the logic-level firing button may have juice that completes the circuit, and this could cause you constant activation issue. Seems iffy, but it's a guess as to what the malfunction is. If, after contact with your vendor, you feel the desire to attempt to repair the control head, do this; with the head completely removed from tube and nothing attached, dunk the whole head in isopropyl alcohol. Agitate the bath. Remove from alcohol. Blow out with canned air, such as is used to clean computer keyboards. Let this thing sit for hours until alcohol evaporates completely. Completely, I said. Then, re-assemble with a fresh-charged battery. You may bring it back to life.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Honestly, I cannot stand the eVic. Waaaay too much that can go wrong, fast. Its shoddy aluminum body feels cheap. One fall, and you're out $100.

I work in a vape store and know the products we sell inside and out, but the eVic is a hard sell. Usually the only way we sell eVics is when someone comes in and specifically asks for an eVic. Do you know how hard it is to push a sale of an eVic onto a new vaper, even if they're interested in mods?

I tried to play with one for a day and the menu infuriated me. Yes, user error on my end 100%, but that's the thing... Why should it be this difficult to operate an e-cig? Yes, yes, I know the answer. "Learn". And I usually do. But in this case, I just wash my hands of the whole eVic thing. It's a temperamental and delicate flower, and definitely the wrong choice for a mod if people want simple and effective. Get a Vamo or an SVD in that case...

Just too many useless bells and whistles on an eVic. All of which can/will crap out on you at the drop of a hat.

Maligator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Liberal Hell, MA
Another thing that could have happened that would not have been the fault of the eVic is this:

Let's say the firing button was continually pressed intermittently for a period of time. So it get's pressed for say 8sec and heats up good. Then you move or the button is released momentarily stopping the 10sec timer. Soon after that the button gets depressed again and the coils start heating up before they fully cooled. Maybe this happened several times. The eVic never sees it as a >10sec firing and keeps heating until failure.

I know it's never fun to admit that something could have been our own fault (I am certainly guilty of this) but it is a possibility. I agree with the other posters who have suggested not storing it in pants or turning it off prior to doing so.

If you need a new head, valuevapor has them for $45. You may even be able to use the code "vic" for a $15 discount. Or, but the whole starter kit for $60 using that code and have an extra set of tubes and batt if the one that was in yours when this happened wasn't damaged.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Now, if we can stop the Bashing and keep on track with offering help.

Like/don't like - Not relevant. Figuring out what happened and coming up with a viable solution is.

First thing to look at would be the e-liquid device.
Sounds to me like it started leaking.
Leaking could lead to liquid getting into the control head. Even happens on a Provari from time to time.

My suggestion would be to take it back to the B&M. Tell them it stopped working and will not charge.

eVic HAS A WARRANTY

*** Word to the wise - Never explain anything. Act/be clueless as to why it isn't working - you are not a technician.

And for the neg. people - mine are both daily use, banged around and dropped and work just fine. 7 months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread