JUUL Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copperhead

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
CT
When I saw this ruling this morning the first thing I thought of was this place. Hard to believe it's been almost 12? years since I participated on this forum. I go back to the early cartridges days of burning foam and leaks galore. IIRC I first started vaping around 10/2010 to try and quit my 30+ year, 1 pack+ a day cigarette habit. Despite the hassle from back then, I managed to stop smoking day 1 of getting my first vape and ended up totally kicking the nicotine habit when I quit vaping about 5 months later. There's no question in my mine that these things changed my life and my health. I seriously doubt I could have given up smoking without it.

Fast forward to today. I've casually followed the developments, acceptance and the news around vaping over the years. I remember my disgust at the powers that be insisting that the only reason for flavored liquid was to attract children. I saw my prediction of vaping NOT becoming a widely accepted alternative many thought it would. Given all that, I must say it was quite disappointing to hear of todays ruling. I'm a personal responsibly guy, so when I see the uninformed "leaders" dictating what the free, informed people of this country can do or not do, it pisses me off.

I understand that vaping has evolved and some now just have replaced it as a different or new habit. I also don't pretend to think that vaping is totally safe. All I know is I used it as a tool to rid myself of a know bad unhealthy habit with goal being to eventually quit that too. I'm not sure what course/stand this forum has taken in the past decade. I don't plan to stick around and honestly only opened this one thread. But today reminded me of it, so I thought it would be a good time to once again thank this place for changing my life. Good luck to all of you.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    , I managed to stop smoking day 1 of getting my first vape and ended up totally kicking the nicotine habit when I quit vaping about 5 months later.
    Two birds, one stone.. Congrats for the switch and the quit.

Welcome back to ECF, Copperhead.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2015
    new york
    It's been a while since I've last been on this forum.

I still vape, and I still vape my favorite tasty flavors, like custards, even though it's completely illegal in my state and has been for a while now. Nothing can stop me from doing as I please.

I don't use Juuls and I've actually never even tried a Juul before, but this is just another step in the war against all things vape.

I'll now get back to enjoying my illegal Killer Kustard and I'd also like to give a big middle finger to these clowns, lunatics and anti-American thugs that are handing out free crack pipes while banning vapes.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Like many of the former smokers here, I started at an early age. Where was all the outcry back then? Nobody gave a crap really. Yes, there were and still are laws regarding underage smoking but did anyone see the government actually stepping in to combat this? No and it's the same now. The tobacco companies pay huge amounts of money to the government to keep their products on the market. Products that were known to cause serious health issues and death many years before I ever picked up my first cigarette. Vaping is a major threat to tobacco profits. It's that simple. I've written many emails to senators and even the former president stating these facts. We all know what happens to letters and emails to government officials but, hey I tried.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Well sure - follow the money...

Many states have settlement agreements with 'big tobacco' that they then went and took out LOAN's on based on tobacco profits.

Tobacco profits dry up and they can't pay the loans.

Every state has HUGE "sin taxes" on alcohol and tobacco products. Simply dry up their use and the amount of tax $$$ they collect drys up.

(the state I live in voted in a %60 tobacco/vape tax)

HOWEVER: with the above said, with 6-24mg freebase I NEVER got a "nicotine rush" like I do with 6-50mg nicotine salts. The stuff is/was designed to be absorbed into your body at a higher rate then the old freebase was.

While I'd personally rather have children vaping high nicotine products then smoking I believe the entire children vaping thing was not a issue until salts were invented as freebase could never give kids the "nicotine rush" that they are looking for.

g.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    freebase could never give kids the "nicotine rush" that they are looking for.
    I don't think that's correct. You have a nicotine tolerance. Hand someone who has never used nicotine a tootle-puffing device with 18 mg freebase liquid in it, have them take one hit, and see what their reaction is. My wife has never used nicotine in any form and did exactly that when I first started vaping -- because my vape smelled so good. :laugh:

The whole freebase vs. salts thing is quite perplexing. I'm old enough to remember when the ANTZ were all over BT for adding ammonia, which would convert some of the naturally occurring salts in tobacco into the supposedly far more addictive freebase form of nicotine. That said, Juul's nic-salt patent does claim that certain salts produce a faster rise in plasma nic levels than freebase. Are they right? Who knows. I tried a Juul when they first came out, kinda hoping it would reproduce that first cig of the morning feeling. Didn't work, at least not for me.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I don't think that's correct. You have a nicotine tolerance. Hand someone who has never used nicotine a tootle-puffing device with 18 mg freebase liquid in it, have them take one hit, and see what their reaction is. My wife has never used nicotine in any form and did exactly that when I first started vaping -- because my vape smelled so good. :laugh:

The whole freebase vs. salts thing is quite perplexing. I'm old enough to remember when the ANTZ were all over BT for adding ammonia, which would convert some of the naturally occurring salts in tobacco into the supposedly far more addictive freebase form of nicotine. That said, Juul's nic-salt patent does claim that certain salts produce a faster rise in plasma nic levels than freebase. Are they right? Who knows. I tried a Juul when they first came out, kinda hoping it would reproduce that first cig of the morning feeling. Didn't work, at least not for me.

Myself and others have used both at the same MG level. The salts will produce a rush while the freebase will not.

It never was about the "flavors". Hell back in the day us preteenagers did not try smoking because of the taste of cigars or cigarettes we wanted to experience the "rush".

I'd agree that someone with no tolerance could/would/might experience the same thing with freebase.

g.

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 29, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I started vaping in 2010 as a way to cut down cigarettes. Juul allowed to me completely quit cigarettes and it's been four years now and stopped cigarettes the day I started Juul. I really hate to see them go, they worked for me and I'm sure there are others out their with similar stories. I'll have to start my quest to find an ejuice that actually tastes like Juul Virginia tobacco again to start refilling. I've tried a ton, but none seem to really be a match.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread