Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
...Clones are stealing.
Do I own them? Yes.
Do I use them? You bet.
But do I promote them? Heck no.

^This is what irks me a li'l as well. I don't condone clones, b'coz if that's the only thing one could afford, to remain off cigarettes, so be it. The aim is to vape and not smoke. But, going ahead and singing praises of it... furthermore, bashing the authentic... name calling the designer &/or the users of the genuine product... that's unwarranted imho. buy it ~pls; use it ~pls; love it ~pls; but kindly don't start a communion of anti-original.

Good Morning my friends!

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
No it isn't. Preach elsewhere.

I clearly stated how, and where, I fall on both sides of the coin, and am therefore not "preaching".
If you truly think that pro-authentic/anti-clone discussion isn't within the realm of "on topic" in a thread titled KAYFUN LITE, then it is YOU who needs to be elsewhere...
If this was a thread titled KAYFUN LITE STYLE ATOMIZERS, we'd be having a different conversation.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
I have to agree I saw no preaching at all. Facts were stated. I don't own a clone, never have wanted a clone, nor would I ever buy a clone. I feel people should be rewarded for hard work and for using high quality materials. I never thought it was so common place in vaping. I don't see much quality in a product where you need to remove machine oil, metal shavings, and using less than the best grades of steel.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Seems the fair thing would be to protect the designers/authenticators for some period of time like we do with patent laws. Allow them to reap the rewards of their risk and investment. But they cannot be protected forever. That's not good practice either. Can you imagine if there were still only one computer brand? How long should they be protected? Hard to answer that. Truthfully though, I don't see how we can protect authenticators anyway with so many foreign interests that do not respect laws. There is no easy solution or any solution for that matter. Those who authenticate and those who pay full ride are basically paying for others to partake in the fruits of their labor. At least for some period of time.

Reactions: LoriP1702

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I sort of agree with the clone of the V4 while I sit here happily vaping my original and have been for a month. Rewicked 3 times recoiled once and never a problem not one. It's kind of weird when I read the clone thread, can't get the oil taste out, leaks, falls apart when I remove the air screw, plastic tank doesn't fit. Seems like for $30 you are buying a life long project of trying to get it to work like a real one. I really like mine and I think if I try to get a knock off again of the KFL it will be a Lemo. The V4 is really expensive and kind of hard to come by but it is so worth it. Hopefully another long, long lasting device. I got a Kanger Sub and for $45 you get a subohm with a head, a regular with a 1.2 head and a rebuildable very Kayfun like. So 3 tanks in one. The V4 works so well with Kanthal I think I am just going to leave mine like that. Superior quality and the tightness I had when opening and closing the JC is working it's way out. It is by far the best tank I own.

Last edited:

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Seems the fair thing would be to protect the designers/authenticators for some period of time like we do with patent laws. Allow them to reap the rewards of their risk and investment. But they cannot be protected forever. That's not good practice either. Can you imagine if there were still only one computer brand? How long should they be protected? Hard to answer that. Truthfully though, I don't see how we can protect authenticators anyway with so many foreign interests that do not respect laws. There is no easy solution or any solution for that matter. Those who authenticate and those who pay full ride are basically paying for others to partake in the fruits of their labor. At least for some period of time.

Exactly.
And to add to that, I see a lot of people bash Authentic Creators for having "over-complicated designs that are too difficult to use or afford." But I think the more complicated the design, the more chance of the clone failing...and I feel very right about that.
Even when the designs aren't complicated, the quality of authentic materials is what seems to be out of reach for the Cloners...and honestly, that scares the ba-jeezus out of me. I don't want to use mystery metals or lesser grade materials, and risk doing the same damage (or more) that smoking cigarettes did!
I understand that "scoring a deal" is the most important thing for a lot of people, but at what cost? I'd rather trade more money, for a device made of trustworthy materials, that will work...
And that's not an elitist thing (for those who think I'm preaching)...it's just a safety thing. What's the point in vaping if I'm using things that could hurt me? I may as well be smoking again!
From my perspective, any ex-smoker can afford authentic vaping devices...not only based on the money they're not throwing away on tobacco products, but also for the health concerns regarding clones and their materials.
I want everyone to stay off traditional tobacco products. Period. But if they're gonna trade those for vape gear that is (possibly) worse for them, well...that's a moral and ethical gray zone that I can't find my way through.

Last edited:

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I'd rather save money. The well made clones are just as good and safe as the authentic ones. But at the right price. I LOVE clones!

See and that's why I straddle the fence a little bit...
I own three EHPro KFL V2's...and they've worked great for me! They don't work as perfectly as the authentic, but close enough that they've fooled many people. I can't speak as to the quality of their materials, but the pieces aren't magnetic, and I haven't seen any rust.
I just wish there was more legitimacy from the better clone companies, in regards to materials. A lot of the time, you'll find that a clone has slight changes in the design, that add or detract from the performance, but aren't machining flaws.
Example: My EHPro KFL V2's had a captive O-ring in the top cap, which was something people had complained about with the authentic. I had many friends chasing their chimney O-rings around when they'd re-fill...
And that's awesome! If the clone makers are going to include their own ideas, and not just try to make a 1:1 copy, I lean towards supporting that...because at least they're trying to do some part of something original...

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'd rather save money. The well made clones are just as good and safe as the authentic ones. But at the right price. I LOVE clones!

Everyone likes to save money. But is shoplifting a way to do it? Not suggesting buying a clone is shoplifting but rather using an extreme to make a point. The definition of stealing is up for interpretation.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I can afford authentics but I will not pay what they want for these. I don't care how much research and crap they put into these it doesn't justify their high prices they are charging.

How do you know that? Do you know what they invested? Do you know how much they sell? Do you know what an appropriate level of "reward" is for them? Just askin'.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
How do you know that? Do you know what they invested? Do you know how much they sell? Do you know what an appropriate level of "reward" is for them? Just askin'.

I don't know and I don't care. They could sell a lot more and make more if they sold them at a reasonable price. When I was a business owner I made a lot more money selling my products for a good price to prevent my customers from buying a cheaper product elsewhere.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I don't know and I don't care. They could sell a lot more and make more if they sold them at a reasonable price. When I was a business owner I made a lot more money selling my products for a good price to prevent my customers from buying a cheaper product elsewhere.

You seem to be very knowledgeable of the atomizer market.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I'll tell you about one. Gilead Pharmaceuticals came up with a life saving miracle drug for Hep C which could possibly irradicate the disease that affects over 2 mil in the US alone in about 3 years. They charge $1000 a pill for it. It takes either 12 or 24 weeks to work depending on the type you have. So that is either $84000 or $168000 depending. It costs them $250 to make. they can't make a generic since it is protected. The govt allows this and many insurance companies are refusing to pay for it. This is also not fair to let people die because of the money they want to make on it. Just thought I would throw that in sometimes R&D is a ripoff reason.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I just don't know why people have to talk bad about clones. Clones are out there because the authentic ones cost too much.

While I can see your logic, I think there is an even deeper root to the reason...and I said it in an earlier post...
Quite like the knock-off handbag market, the vape gear clone market exists because of the status symbol mindset...or at least started that way.
People want to be able to say they have the best stuff, or at least appear like they do...
Granted, there's the affordability thing too...and there's also the fact that when something works really well, everyone wants to have that thing, or copy its method of performance. But I honestly believe the majority of clones are made/purchased, just so folks can "keep up with the Joneses" by having "the same stuff"...because, let's face it...the majority of vapers are still on eGo type devices...most are ex-smokers, but a disturbingly large (and growing) number of vapers never were smokers...
Those are the ones who scare me the most. They're just jumping on the train, because they wanna blow big clouds, or because their friends all vape. Or they want to "fit in", which honestly, many smokers did in the beginning too.
We here, on the ECF are not representative of the majority of vapers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaoself

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'll tell you about one. Gilead Pharmaceuticals came up with a life saving miracle drug for Hep C which could possibly irradicate the disease that affects over 2 mil in the US alone in about 3 years. They charge $1000 a pill for it. It takes either 12 or 24 weeks to work depending on the type you have. So that is either $84000 or $168000 depending. It costs them $250 to make. they can't make a generic since it is protected. The govt allows this and many insurance companies are refusing to pay for it. This is also not fair to let people die because of the money they want to make on it. Just thought I would throw that in sometimes R&D is a ripoff reason.

Don't know about this particular case, but many/most big pharmaceutical breakthroughs cost literally billions of dollars to develop.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I just don't know why people have to talk bad about clones. Clones are out there because the authentic ones cost too much.

And clones exist only because someone else did all the work. Goes both directions.

BTW...I own a couple of clones (not Kayfuns). I'm just playing Devil's advocate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread