Status
Not open for further replies.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
So, I'm NOT trying to fear monger here. Just wanting to suggest the start of a discussion on battery tracability and safety for us consumers.

Or maybe that should have been the start of a new thread :p

Maximilllian the Seldom Serious
I'm sure it has been done but I think it's time to do it again. Maybe starting with what makes a battery appropriate for LR vaping and with ones aren't.

L7D4N

Ice Cream!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'm sure it has been done but I think it's time to do it again. Maybe starting with what makes a battery appropriate for LR vaping and with ones aren't.

I agree. Let me know if you need any help pulling all of the documentation together.

I honestly hope people who purchased these batteries reads this thread. Today is the first day I have not used the LT batteries I had, and I've been using an AW IC 2200 protected battery with the cap not screwed on all the way. It makes me even more nervous, because with the AW 2200mAh battery, I went about 9 hours before it hit 3.5v (where I stop using batteries to prevent over-discharge) and I pulled it out of rotation. With the LT batteries I used, I went almost three days, further confirming these to be behaving like unprotected li-ions with (maybe) a higher mAh rating/capacity...?

:(

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Thank you , I really appreciate it!

I put in a ticket about 20 hours ago, and haven't had a response as of yet. I'm still not sure what's going on, but I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I am doing my best to refrain from updating the ticket again, as Customer Support usually answers tickets by age, and updating again will reset the time counter. I'll throw an update in here as soon as I hear something.

That's really odd. I got my notification back from them in an hour or two. It almost sounds like it didn't go through.

L7D4N

Ice Cream!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Dallas, Texas
See, Mike's post says we can ship them to Volcano now, and they'll send out the replacements when they arrive. This would cut down a week or so for me getting them.

And to the phone I go...

UPDATE: Looks like they are swamped, I get a voicemail system when calling their line. I'll just wait it out, seems it's going to be a week or more before they have them in stock.

Last edited:

Mr. White

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
IL
There seems to be a bit of confusion/over-reaction/justifiable concern in this thread. Honestly I don't know what to think. I am basically being told that even though the website I bought from says they are safe IMR batteries, that they really not may be and that is a problem. I would like to believe that these vendors are being truthful with us. Am I to believe that AW is the ONLY safe IMR battery out there? I do find that a little hard to believe. I tend to think that there could be an issue with ANY battery we use, AW or not. I think with the extra protection the lavatube provides, most likely we are gonna be okay, but I know there is always a chance of something going wrong. Personally I think we kinda take that risk anytime we use a mod. We can take every precaution in the world, but there is still no guarantee of a freak accident happening. Did I not read in this thread that there have even been AW batteries that have exploded? I don't know the details but believe I read that earlier in this thread.

So basically I just wonder how much of this is over-reaction and how much is justifiable concern? With the millions of batteries sold and used, how many accidents have there been? I know there have been at least one that I have heard of.... but again I am no expert. Is this a case like the H1N1 virus, where few people actually got it, but everyone was scared and over-reacted? I am not trying to downplay the seriousness of unprotected batteries, I know there is a real danger, but really how often are batteries exploding in mods? Not being an ......, I have not been around the community much this past year and I would really like to know if I need to be worried...

I'll agree with you that there is a lot of confusion on this thread.

First, IMR is a battery chemistry--AW is a brand.

IMR batts are Li-Mn, they are not Li-on. They are "safe chemistry" they don't have a protection circuit.

While no battery is completely safe--and yes, there have been documented cases of AW IMRs going off--they are extremely rare, and they are not as volatile as a Li-on cell when they melt down.

If the Flat Tops that were being sold as IMR--read safe chemistry--are NOT IMR cells and are NOT protected Li-On cells, that makes the chances of one going off much, much greater. When you put it in a VV device, even one with a safeguard, you are greatly increasing the chances that it will over-discharge, which could lead to a catastrophic failure.

Without a protection circuit or safe chemistry, the only thing standing between you and a battery melt down is the circuitry in the mod, and that is not anywhere close to enough protection--IMHO.

As noted before, there is a wealth of information here about batteries, and I think you would be well served to read some of it, particularly before you pick up that mod, hold it next to your face and press the button.

Here is a link with a lot of useful information for everyone. Ironically enough, it is indeed about a AW IMR cell going off. Please understand that this is a fantastically rare event, and the discharge is not as violent as an unprotected Li-On cell going off. It has lots of information that will help in the discussion.

I suggest you read it. I also suggest everyone stop using those Flat Tops unless someone can confirm that they are either IMR or have a protection circuit.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/190146-pictures-serious-battery-failure-imr-18650-a.html

Last week I was looking at getting a Lava Tube and wondered where they found Red Flat Top AW IMRs. Turns out they didn't.

frazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
See, Mike's post says we can ship them to Volcano now, and they'll send out the replacements when they arrive. This would cut down a week or so for me getting them.

And to the phone I go...

UPDATE: Looks like they are swamped, I get a voicemail system when calling their line. I'll just wait it out, seems it's going to be a week or more before they have them in stock.

I think i am just going to go the store credit route. I ordered 2 from Ikenvape (10 bucks a piece, plus veterans dicount) and they shipped today. I haven't even gotten to use my LaveTube yet... mine shipped the day the anouncement was released..

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
I'll agree with you that there is a lot of confusion on this thread.

First, IMR is a battery chemistry--AW is a brand.

IMR batts are Li-Mn, they are not Li-on. They are "safe chemistry" they don't have a protection circuit.

While no battery is completely safe--and yes, there have been documented cases of AW IMRs going off--they are extremely rare, and they are not as volatile as a Li-on cell when they melt down.

If the Flat Tops that were being sold as IMR--read safe chemistry--are NOT IMR cells and are NOT protected Li-On cells, that makes the chances of one going off much, much greater. When you put it in a VV device, even one with a safeguard, you are greatly increasing the chances that it will over-discharge, which could lead to a catastrophic failure.

Without a protection circuit or safe chemistry, the only thing standing between you and a battery melt down is the circuitry in the mod, and that is not anywhere close to enough protection--IMHO.

As noted before, there is a wealth of information here about batteries, and I think you would be well served to read some of it, particularly before you pick up that mod, hold it next to your face and press the button.

Here is a link with a lot of useful information for everyone. Ironically enough, it is indeed about a AW IMR cell going off. Please understand that this is a fantastically rare event, and the discharge is not as violent as an unprotected Li-On cell going off. It has lots of information that will help in the discussion.

I suggest you read it. I also suggest everyone stop using those Flat Tops unless someone can confirm that they are either IMR or have a protection circuit.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/190146-pictures-serious-battery-failure-imr-18650-a.html

Last week I was looking at getting a Lava Tube and wondered where they found Red Flat Top AW IMRs. Turns out they didn't.

Thanks for the info, I have already began to read thru it, but right off the bat the fact that the pic is of an AW battery, kind of makes my point that really, none of these batteries are necessarily "safe" and freak accidents can happen at any time. The question I was asking was if I get these batteries, and they say they are IMR, then really how am I supposed to know otherwise? Funny thing is that I am thinking someone ended up contacting smart-vapes because they have now changed the picture of the battery to show that it is an IMR, but the pic they posted is of a 14650(?) not an 18650. Here is the link again: IMR 18650 Batts | Sweet-Vapes E-Liquid I mean, the batteries I ordered were not from Volcano, so we may be talking about separate batteries, but I tried to find the batteries that closest resembled the ones that Volcano recommended when I bought the unit. I guess in my case I am just going to have to try the batteries when they get here. I am not extremely worried at this point. I am going to try and trust the vendor. I will let you all know what happens when they come in and if there is any kind of markings on them to indicate what kind of batteries they are... But thanks again for the info, I am gonna read all I can on the subject in the next few days...

L7D4N

Ice Cream!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I was just contacted by Volcano, and they will be accepting the return shipment of the counterfeit AW batteries on an immediate basis, but their ETA for the genuine batteries could be up to three weeks. This is understandable, as I am sure they are purchasing in large quantities and it's the holiday season.

The store credit route may be the best option, as it'll allow you to either save them until they release the batteries on the site, and just purchase them this way, or get something else you need. I have an IMR coming (not sure when, no delivery confirmation) and I have some AW 2200mAh protected batteries I can use in the meantime. I'll be sending mine in tomorrow though, and I'll wait until they receive them to get the replacements sent out.

popeye79

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2011
WA, USA
Ok, I've read some on this and other treads, seen pictures... now I'm scared.

I purchased a lavatuve, and just got it today.

This is my first mod, I've been a bloog and janty ego user for a year now, but wanted to upgrade (and damn glad I did, this thing works great).

But Now I feel really scared. Is this thing going to explode in my face?

I feel like I was cheated (never mind that I didn't recieve my extra cartos I ordered). Why is the company still sending these out, KNOWING that they are selling knockoff, unsafe batteries?

Can someone point me in the right direction to purchase trusted, tried and true, AW IMR Li-Mn rechargable batteries?

I just want to vape in peace, not fear. Please help.

sobero4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
As a provari user, i was excited to hear about a company creating something of similar features at an affordable price (but by no means am i saying this thing will ever compete with the provari imo). I collect mods, and i do believe this is a mod to have in a collector's arsenal, but I just can't see myself buying one now due to the battery issue. Again, imo I feel flat top batteries are inferior to button top batteries. I have had too many IMR batteries leak, rust, or become rendered nonfunctional through previous use of them on other set voltage devices. In turn, the idea of putting them in a VV device that will obviously put more strain on the battery concerns me immensely. The battery issue is a deal-breaker for me. Perhaps they will release a V2 to correct this flaw (a critical flaw imo).

landscaper

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2011
Atlanta
As a provari user, i was excited to hear about a company creating something of similar features at an affordable price (but by no means am i saying this thing will ever compete with the provari imo). I collect mods, and i do believe this is a mod to have in a collector's arsenal, but I just can't see myself buying one now due to the battery issue. Again, imo I feel flat top batteries are inferior to button top batteries. I have had too many IMR batteries leak, rust, or become rendered nonfunctional through previous use of them on other set voltage devices. In turn, the idea of putting them in a VV device that will obviously put more strain on the battery concerns me immensely. The battery issue is a deal-breaker for me. Perhaps they will release a V2 to correct this flaw (a critical flaw imo).

If you look around in other threads you will see that the battery in the provari can be used in the LT. So no issue.

Dave

landscaper

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2011
Atlanta
I have also read and seen photos that the vent hole is extremely small. To go on, the vent hole is said to not travel all the way through the end cap, rendering the safety feature either useless or shoddy at best.

The vent hole issue was on a few tester models and I believe some of the early units but it was quickly fixed. My hole on my LT does indeed go all the way through. Again no issue.

Dave

frazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
The vent hole issue was on a few tester models and I believe some of the early units but it was quickly fixed. My hole on my LT does indeed go all the way through. Again no issue.

Dave

For mine, blowing through the hole on the bottom does let air pass, but since the bottom plastic part has a hole that is separate from the one in the aluminum part of the inside cap, the two do not line up.. i.e. looking through you can not see through the hole.. but air does pass.

BK_Malik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Please stop the panic...

Lavatubes don't require flat top batteries, button top AW IMRs fit perfectly. Get a battery refund and buy your button tops somewhere else. I've been using mine with button tops since day one (I didn't buy the kit) and have had zero problems. I did sand off the stupid ridges on the battery cap though lol.

Coat Pics.jpg

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN

This is a battery issue not a mod issue, the mod is fine. Unknown batteries were sold with the mod and that's the issue. AW IMR Button top have been tested by many and work just fine in the mod and there are many places to get them. They've been used in the Provari which also has a booster circuit since it's release with no reported issues that I'm aware of. I've been using AW both protected and IMR for over a year and I've never had an issue nor have I had to replace one.

The vent hole issue was on the tester units and maybe the first couple that shipped but that's been corrected.

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Ok, I've read some on this and other treads, seen pictures... now I'm scared.

I purchased a lavatuve, and just got it today.

This is my first mod, I've been a bloog and janty ego user for a year now, but wanted to upgrade (and damn glad I did, this thing works great).

But Now I feel really scared. Is this thing going to explode in my face?

I feel like I was cheated (never mind that I didn't recieve my extra cartos I ordered). Why is the company still sending these out, KNOWING that they are selling knockoff, unsafe batteries?

Can someone point me in the right direction to purchase trusted, tried and true, AW IMR Li-Mn rechargable batteries?

I just want to vape in peace, not fear. Please help.

They've stopped sending the batteries in question out and have stated they will be carrying AW IMR Button Top.

If you don't want to wait for them to get them in there are several trusted places to get them. Here's a few

AW IMR18650 1600mAh LiMN rechargeable lithium battery

AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 12* - Page 68

Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products.

AW Rechargeable Batteries | AW High Drain Batteries | Best 18650 Batteries

AW IMR 18650

AW IMR 18650 Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread