Lava Tube: Better and cheaper than the Provari (video opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Guess what....you do not have to wait 7 months, as they are already speaking out. Look around and see the posts. I looked while researching the LT and these posters have a LT. Not taking sides here, just saying what owners of the LT have already said.

1. Fake batteries
2. Switch died in less than 24 hours.
3. Tube coating not consistant.
4. Atomizer connector not straight.
5. Works great.
6. Love it.
And more.
Not Bashing, just stating what owners of the LT have said.

Also noted that you can also read posts where owners of the ProVari, Buzz Pro, and etc. also have had issues...

I like you John, always have..but what monopoly? there is buzz joker vv monkeyboxx way too many vv to name...premium price for premium product is the american way..my provari has been ran over by a 8000 pound hydrolic bucket truck and only has a pen dent in the finish, which is chrome by the way which has wear scratches in it but is still fully intact....had it for 7 monthes and it still works as good as the day I got it..I wanna hear from the LT owners in 7 monthes of heavy vaping in an outdoor manual labor job.... and that my friend is what you pay for.....

Last edited:

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
First rule of Raod Racing.

#1 - What is Behind you Doesn't Matter.

I take it that you lean more towards the Provari than the Lavatube?

Faced with the option, I bought the Provari for the battery reason above. The multi-button menu of the LT is attractive, though. Having to use Morse Code to adjust anything on the Provari is not the best experience, but in reality, I use a tank and don't really adjust the voltage all that often. For drippers who switch juices all day, that must get old.

In general, though, this is an age-old discussion of quality of products that predates ecigs. Cheaper usually means lower quality, but oftentimes not so much lower that people don't want it. Furthermore, the mass production eventually leads to better efficiency, which can then let a product "put some of the quality back in" at the lower price. Also, especially with technology, people don't care as much about longevity, because by the time it breaks, something better has come out anyway. I'd rather have a $500 computer from today than a $5000 one from 10 years ago.

Not saying that the LT is the golden example that will bring VV to the masses, but it's a step in the right direction. ;)

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
Yes, that does pretty much sum up my opinion but not quite - I think you took some liberties with what I actually said. Not trying to sell anyone anything, just stating my opinion. I think I brought up some points that have not been considered before. I never said anyone was an idiot for buying one.

If you guys are fans of the Provari that's fine. You don't have to get all bent out of shape with me because I have things against it but those are your opinions I guess. I'll still sleep well at night.

Refer to post 46 http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...than-provari-video-opinion-5.html#post4789170 You did infact say we are dumber for buying a provari.

Sorry you can't afford one but don't hate on those that can :2cool:

Mr. P

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Ga.
I purchased a LT from Volcano and it died on me within an hour of using it. I called Volcano and they asked me what batteries I used and I told them the AW IMR (authentic) 18650's that I have been using for about 4 months. They then told me that the AW IMR's are not authorized as they would burn up the LT, well on thier website they state that those are the preferred batts for the LT. Now they are giving me a hard time on the warranty. The LT is pretty shotty and the customer service is not much better.

So is the Lavatube cheaper? Yes, cheaper in price, quality, craftsmanship and in every other way. Is it better? NO!!!

Last edited:

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hrmm, yeah, they don't actually say 'AW' anywhere, but they do plainly say "IMR High Drain 18650". That's lame if they stick to that. I've returned stuff to them before, though, and didn't have issues.

Wow, though, I didn't realize they were selling the non-kit version so cheap. So, if you want a black 18650 VV mod:

Black Chrome ProVari, 18650 Extension Cap, Blue Digital Display: $218.90
Lavatube: $69.99

So actually less than 1/3 of the price...

Mr. P

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Ga.
they don't actually say 'AW' anywhere, but they do plainly say "IMR High Drain 18650". That's lame if they stick to that. ...

Are there any other IMR HIGH DRAIN 18650's other then the AW? If there are I haven't seen them. I think it is pretty lame when thier site says that then they try to say you used the wrong batts and try to not honor the warranty.

They even asked if I used batts which have the safety feature built in because if I did it voids the warranty.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I purchased a LT from Volcano and it died on me within an hour of using it. I called Volcano and they asked me what batteries I used and I told them the AW IMR (authentic) 18650's that I have been using for about 4 months. They then told me that the AW IMR's are not authorized as they would burn up the LT, well on thier website they state that those are the preferred batts for the LT. Now they are giving me a hard time on the warranty. The LT is pretty shotty and the customer service is not much better.

So is the Lavatube cheaper? Yes, cheaper in price, quality, craftsmanship and in every other way. Is it better? NO!!!

Not trying to defend Volcano or the Lavatube.

But Volcano has had a hectic last two days after it was found that some of the Batteries that were shipped with the Lavatube turned out to be Knock-Offs.

Give them a little more time than usual because I'm sure they are Swamped with RMA's.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Are there any other IMR HIGH DRAIN 18650's other then the AW? If there are I haven't seen them. I think it is pretty lame when thier site says that then they try to say you used the wrong batts and try to not honor the warranty.

Not that I'm aware of.

But like I said, Volcano shipped a bunch of Lavatube with Knock-off AW IMR's so Everyone has scrambled to removed "AW" from their web sites.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/mods-discussion/249432-lava-tube-battery-scam.html

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
that's weird because when I bought mine I could swear there was a picture of aw imrs on the website that's why I didn't buy any batteries because I already had a set, oh well these button tops seem to be working fine but I'll buy a pair of theirs when they get them back in sock so I don't void the warranty

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
that's weird because when I bought mine I could swear there was a picture of aw imrs on the website that's why I didn't buy any batteries because I already had a set, oh well these button tops seem to be working fine but I'll buy a pair of theirs when they get them back in sock so I don't void the warranty

Actualy I don't think it is weird at all.

Because I have had my eye on a couple of other sites besides Volcano that sells the Lavatube aka Knight Rider, ThunderVolt, etc, and one by one they have ALL pulled the pictures of AW IMR Batteries from the product desc.

Probably vendors are trying to figure out if they have Real AW IMR's or not. Just like members here on the ECF.

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Did the pictures have the 'AW' logo? Obviously, the ones pictured are trying to look like AWs, but just wondering if there are actual fakes out there, or just some that are misleadingly similar in appearance.

Legit AW picture
1314148533158414842659.jpeg

Volcano picture
awbattery3.jpg

I resized it, but Original Image Here

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Did the pictures have the 'AW' logo? Obviously, the ones pictured are trying to look like AWs, but just wondering if there are actual fakes out there, or just some that are misleadingly similar in appearance.

Legit AW picture
1314148533158414842659.jpeg

Volcano picture
awbattery3.jpg

I resized it, but Original Image Here

I think it gets down to what the Description said of what you were getting when you bought a Lavatube.

That and if the Batteries people got are not protected, which I don't think AW IMR Batteries are, is it considered to be a "Safe Chemistry" Battery.

I know that some of the other sites used to say "AW IMR 18650" Batteries. And now they just say 18650 Batteries.

Seems like there is a lot of confussion out there right.

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
I think availability will be the biggest seller in Europe,unless I am mistaken you cannot buy any similar type devices from any European Vendors ie Provari I-pro or Buzz pro !!! they all have to be bought from the USA
I have priced the Provari this week and with shipping it actually came out at 200€ and that does not include any customs or import duty you may have to pay !! I really like the look of the Provari and the other two I mentioned,but it makes no sense at all when I can buy the Lavatube in Europe for 50€ + 6€ shipping !!!
PS If anyone is aware of a European Vendor that sells the other devices I would love to know :)
ProVape

I think enjuice is the only Uk based vendor selling the provari. I could be wrong, but I haven't yet seen another vendor with these on sale.

I-pro or buzz pro? Not seen them, sorry :(

Scotay87

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2011
Pacific North West

They even asked if I used batts which have the safety feature built in because if I did it voids the warranty.

Avid and Electronicstix sell an IMR 18650... The ones from Electronicstixs sells do fit and work I have some and tried them... Avid not sure since I don't have any...

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
Avid and Electronicstix sell an IMR 18650... The ones from Electronicstixs sells do fit and work I have some and tried them... Avid not sure since I don't have any...

Avid sells the bdl imr (orange) flat tops. They are not horrible but they do no perform quite as well as my AW. They still vape well though.

sobero4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
All I have to say is that the lava tube has not been out long enough to say whether or not the durability and functionality of the unit can even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Provari. If the lava tube does stand the test of time through the kind of use and abuse comparable to what many users have put their provaris through, it still lacks a few features the provari possesses. For the price though, I must say it APPEARS to be an exceptional mod...again, time will tell

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
All I have to say is that the lava tube has not been out long enough to say whether or not the durability and functionality of the unit can even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Provari. If the lava tube does stand the test of time through the kind of use and abuse comparable to what many users have put their provaris through, it still lacks a few features the provari possesses. For the price though, I must say it APPEARS to be an exceptional mod...again, time will tell

I think this is a Very good point.

I used to be one of those people who Rushed out and bought the Latest and Greatest hot New PV or Carto. I got burned too many times with Poor Quality or Funky Manufacturing. Kinda felt like a Beta Tester.

Now I like to sit back and let others buy the New Products and see just how well they work. The Lavatube is a Perfect example of this.

I'll probably buy one, a Mini-Lavatube that is, down the road as a Backup/Travel Unit to my Provari. Down the road when all the Battery and Quality issue get ironed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread