Lava Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

quisp65

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2012
San Diego
I bought the 1.5t and wish I would of bought a 1.0 original version. Something very seldom mentioned is that the 1.5 versions use pulse width modulation (PWM) that make the coil a bit hotter than the original lavatube that is a constant voltage device. If your going from an ego device where you have a lot of LR single coil cartos, you may find the lavatube 1.5t produces too hot of a vapor even at 3.0 volts to continue using your old LR cartos.

It is constantly mentioned that the 1.5 version can run a larger range of dual coils, but it should also be mentioned that it might run a lower range of single coils.

Last edited:
I had lavatube 1.0 as my first vv mod, it worked in the beginning quite well but now only thing i can get 4.6v is 3ohm single coils and when battery charge drops below 3.8 it just shuts down or reboots to 3.0v and this happens with almost every other carto or atty i have tried at 4.2v. First i thought it was my ultrafire 18650 but since i got aw imr's and those do same thing, it must be something with chip, maybe some juice got there or those few hits it got when i have dropped it but its now mostly my spare device. Still like it tho, easy to use and hold, goes from 3v to 6v but it just not accurate, voltage drop on load is quite big.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
No electrical device will deliver the same voltage under a load. So it doesn't matter who makes the unit, if you set it to max it won't deliver the max. Setting to 6.0 will never deliver 6.0.

This is true. However when you set some devices to 6V, they'll deliver 5.8V. Others will deliver 5.2V. Some will deliver 5.8V with a fresh charge and 5.2V when the battery is depleted. Some will deliver 5.8V until the battery is dead.

The biggest flaw in the Ver 1 Lavatube isn't the amp limit, it's the drop in voltage that happens when the battery starts to get seriously drained. It's pretty insignificant at 3.7V or more, but when the battery gets below that voltage, it begins to get noticeable and requires an adjustment in the voltage setting to compensate.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I've had both the LT v1 mini and the newer v1.5 (or v2, depending on where you look): they're good devices for the price, especially the v1.5.

only be aware that some 18650 batteries do not fit completely in the tube, especially higher capacity batteries with raised (positive) pin and/or PCB protection circuit. '18650' should mean 18mm diameter by 65mm length, but nowadays many 18650's are actually longer than that.

hence for those longer 18650's the bottom cap will only barely screw on... it works, especially if you replace the spring with a flatter one (anything metallic will do), but it's not what I'd call a firm installation :)

other than that, I think you'll be pleased with the LT.

I think I'm going to buy the Lava Tube Variable Voltage MOD Kit has anyone tried this? Is it good or bad? I've looked around at different models and this fits my price range.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I've had the 1.5t for a few weeks, running the panasonic batteries and am finding an extremely short battery life. It isn't even lasting a whole day with the 18650. All my previous mods would last at least a day, I am guessing something to do with the pwm??

It will depend on the voltages you are vaping at and resistance of the cartos to how long it will hold a charge. If you run it at 3.7 volt like your other mods it will last about the same.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Confirmed. Not a night/day difference, but some.

I think it's got more to do with the efficiency of the PWM... to make an unfair comparison, Provape states its PWM to sport a 95% efficiency... I'd say the LT 1.5T PWM to be less efficient.

in fact the very same batteries last longer for me with the provari v2, but I'm comparing two very different price points here...

I've had the 1.5t for a few weeks, running the panasonic batteries and am finding an extremely short battery life. It isn't even lasting a whole day with the 18650. All my previous mods would last at least a day, I am guessing something to do with the pwm??

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
The OP already got a Vtube. Delivered today and he's a happy camper. The Vtube is made by LRider, unlike the LT v3, of which there is no such thing, really. At any rate, the build quality of the LRiders is better than the knockoffs, including the mythical v3 with its mythical 4amps that, BTW, is so mythical vaporbeast doesn't dare even advertise it anymore. So, for anyone considering a LT, just get the stainless or chrome Vtube for the same price as the mythical v3. Apolloecigs.com. Discount code Vtube30. Unless you love dual coil LR cartos, you won't miss a thing and you won't have to worry about the zombie shutoff either.

As a new user myself, I think the lavatube a great introduction to variable voltage at an affordable price. The Provari may be in my future, but the distant one, whilst I save :?: and learn more about the mechanical side of things. I get great vapor production and flavour on mine using a Vivi Nova and right now I can't imagine how it gets any better than this! Good luck with your choice.

houndazs

Jun 19, 2012
Texas
I think i have the LT V1. I got ripped when i purchased from a vendor about 1.5 weeks ago. I don't like the noticable difference in the vaping when the battery gets low. i notice it at about 3.8v with a DCC @3.0ohm. I think i may buy the 3.0 LT mod but from what sailorman says, it's not really a 3.0 its more like a 1.5 remake? I think either way i will be happier with the PWM of the "3.0." I can just give this old 1.0 to the wife and/or keep it as a spare. I am new to the vaping scene and have not had an analog in 1.5 weeks! Started on the Volt V1 808 and very quicly got the Vari Mod (VV?). I love it with the 6ml tank and carto combo! My wife can keep the 808 lol!

I figured if i don't like the "3.0" LT i will go with the PV as 2 of the guys here at work have them and say they are really nice. One of the guys have about 15 different e-cig's and says the PV is the last. Im a geek and like my electronic toys and have never really been a "name brand" kind of guy. Ill let you know my thoughts when i get the LT 3.0 next week.

Last edited:

asha23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
London
These things are horrible I've had four of these all replacements for broken parts from crooked atomizers to bottom cap comming off and button sticking. The lavatube is cheap for a reason my best advice is to save your money for either a provari or a darwin and you will not be dissapointed

I have had zero problems with my V1 LavaTube. If you want one, why not get one?

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
true as a principle, but with some PV's the difference between set V and delivered V - under load - is actually negligible (a Provari, for instance); with most other devices the difference in voltage under load will be noticeable.

Lavatubes, even the newer version(s), unfortunately fall in the latter category: under load they deliver less V than you've set.

That's not much of a problem in practice, you can still use them by just pumping up the V setting a little bit more, but it speaks volumes about the quality of their electronics...

No electrical device will deliver the same voltage under a load. So it doesn't matter who makes the unit, if you set it to max it won't deliver the max. Setting to 6.0 will never deliver 6.0.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
i'm quite torn between a lavatube or a provari as a new user. i've heard good and bad things from both...and prob need more research on both. sigh

either one will do fine as a PV for most people; if you've never used a variable voltage device (they're pretty big, and the provari also quite heavy) you might start with the lavatube and see how it feels in your hands in everyday life, w/o spending too much money.

if on the other hand you're already accustomed with VV devices, and can afford to spend some money, I'd skip directly to the provari: it's built like a tank, and it's got extremely accurate/reliable electronics.

best option would be to borrow either one from a friend, and see how it feels for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread