Status
Not open for further replies.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
I've got the new chrome v2 from CCV through a tube swap, and so far, really liking this device. Also Pbusardo did a quick comparison of the new chrome v2 from young june compared to the l-rider chrome v2 for anybody who's confused, check it out. Also, he showed the scope readings of a 1.5dc set at 4.5v, and showed the young june fired at a Vavg of 4.5 while the l-rider fired only at 4.04v. Can't wait for the full review with all the numbers, as it looks like young june changed out their pwm for the new version, it's definitely not the same as before as the on time for that 4.5v setting was like 93% or something like that, and on the 1.5t it definitely had a bit of voltage drop under that kind of load, where this thing was spot on...

I was out to lunch on my last response to your comments. I was thinking of the max volts the V1.5 could handle on a 1.5ohm coil when in fact you are right. When set at 4.5v the YJ V1.5 3amp PV will only put out 3.6v. according to Busardo's review. A PBusardo Review - (not really a) LavaTube 1.5 - Vaporus - YouTube

Given your observation and Busardo's numbers it would appear the Chrome YJ PV he was comparing is a 4amp unit.

Errol

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Errol,

I own both the Young-June v1.5t in black and the v2.0 in chrome, and my anecdotal experience is that they seem to provide roughly the same vape at 4.5 volts (using single-coils of at least 2.5 ohms resistance).

So, even if the average voltage of the v1.5t set to 4.5 volts is only 3.6 volts, does it not makes sense that the vape "feels" like 4.5 volts because the 'voltage-on pulses' of the PWM at that setting are considerably higher than 4.5V?

By the way, the single most obvious difference to me between the v1.5t and the v2.0 is not in quality of the vape or even the different top caps (flush 510 versus ego-style 510). The immediately obvious difference is in the weight of each device. Loaded with the same 18650 battery, the v1.5t weighs 3.3 ounces, while the chrome-plated-brass v2.0 weighs in a hefty 5.2 ounces. Huge difference in how it feels to hold them. I like both, actually---the deft lightness of the black v1.5t, and the solid mass of the chrome v2.0.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Errol,

I own both the Young-June v1.5t in black and the v2.0 in chrome, and my anecdotal experience is that they seem to provide roughly the same vape at 4.5 volts (using single-coils of at least 2.5 ohms resistance).

So, even if the average voltage of the v1.5t set to 4.5 volts is only 3.6 volts, does it not makes sense that the vape "feels" like 4.5 volts because the 'voltage-on pulses' of the PWM at that setting are considerably higher than 4.5V?

By the way, the single most obvious difference to me between the v1.5t and the v2.0 is not in quality of the vape or even the different top caps (flush 510 versus ego-style 510). The immediately obvious difference is in the weight of each device. Loaded with the same 18650 battery, the v1.5t weighs 3.3 ounces, while the chrome-plated-brass v2.0 weighs in a hefty 5.2 ounces. Huge difference in how it feels to hold them. I like both, actually---the deft lightness of the black v1.5t, and the solid mass of the chrome v2.0.

Any VV unit I'm aware of will vape a single coil 2.5ohms carto at 4.5v, that's only 1.8amp and 8watts.

The 3.6v is the average and the pulses are so rapid (I'm guessing milliseconds) that one is not going to feel the highs anymore than they are going to feel the lows on any VV unit other than perhaps the Vmax.

Errol

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Any VV unit I'm aware of will vape a single coil 2.5ohms carto at 4.5v, that's only 1.8amp and 8watts.

Errol, you're obviously correct. My example was ill-chosen, since any halfway decent VV can crank out 1.8 amps and 8 watts without breaking a sweat.

On the other hand, as to your second assertion:

The 3.6v is the average and the pulses are so rapid (I'm guessing milliseconds) that one is not going to feel the highs anymore than they are going to feel the lows on any VV unit other than perhaps the Vmax.

I flat-out disagree, and I know for certain that many others do too, among them Phil Busardo (not that he's an expert, but he is a competent end user) who says at the 14:30 mark in the linked video when showing his oscilloscope graphs of the v1.5t's pulsed width modulation that "the reading that you're getting in this Vaverage [3.73V] is a little bit deceiving, because it feels like more."

I'll also refer you to ECF member Blitzer, in his thread New Lavatube Tech Stuff, where he describes the implementation and effects of PWM in the Lavatube v1.5t. In trying to make what had been a long and very technical post more understandable for the ordinary v1.5t user, he writes:

That's what our lavatubes are doing. High voltages, on and off very quickly. It feels to the vaping person like it's really kicking... I can really feel the difference between a LT at 3.7 volts, and a regular ecig at 3.7 volts. Even at 3.2 volts, the LT hits harder, and with more vapor. Hope this makes more sense. I still have all the math, to prove it to anyone curious though.

Link to that thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...iscussion/303410-new-lavatube-tech-stuff.html

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Bunnyboy,

Shek has left almost identical posts in various Lavatube threads on ECF. He shouts fraud, knockoff, fake, and swears he has proof, but I don't see any. Really, I don't know what to make of the guy. He comes off as a shill for L-Rider, which doesn't help his case. Seems that there's some bad blood between L-Rider/J-Lin and Uniq/Young June, but I'm not privy to any insider info.

If you believe Shek, get an L-Rider Lavatube v1.0, a Lambo v2.0, or wait for L-Rider's next version (v3.0) to be released. Or just buy a Provari. LOL.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Bunnyboy,

Shek has left almost identical posts in various Lavatube threads on ECF. He shouts fraud, knockoff, fake, and swears he has proof, but I don't see any. Really, I don't know what to make of the guy. He comes off as a shill for L-Rider, which doesn't help his case. Seems that there's some bad blood between L-Rider/J-Lin and Uniq/Young June, but I'm not privy to any insider info.

If you believe Shek, get an L-Rider Lavatube v1.0, a Lambo v2.0, or wait for L-Rider's next version (v3.0) to be released. Or just buy a Provari. LOL.

Good summation on that particular poster. It's true they had problems with the Young June 1.5 PV but AFIK they have replaced the defective units. The other problem was vendor advertising V1.5 3amp units as 4amp capable. Not sure whose problem that was, the factory, the factory rep or the vendors, I lean toward the reps falsifying the specs, but most of the vendors that I'm aware of have corrected the false representation.

Errol

Last edited:

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Errol, you're obviously correct. My example was ill-chosen, since any halfway decent VV can crank out 1.8 amps and 8 watts without breaking a sweat.

On the other hand, as to your second assertion:

I flat-out disagree, and I know for certain that many others do too, among them Phil Busardo (not that he's an expert, but he is a competent end user) who says at the 14:30 mark in the linked video when showing his oscilloscope graphs of the v1.5t's pulsed width modulation that "the reading that you're getting in this Vaverage [3.73V] is a little bit deceiving, because it feels like more."

I'll also refer you to ECF member Blitzer, in his thread New Lavatube Tech Stuff, where he describes the implementation and effects of PWM in the Lavatube v1.5t. In trying to make what had been a long and very technical post more understandable for the ordinary v1.5t user, he writes:

Link to that thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...iscussion/303410-new-lavatube-tech-stuff.html

I'll bow to your research efforts and findings. I'll pay closer attention but up till now I haven't been able to tell the difference but that could be because most of my vaping is in the 5v range and adjust up or down a couple of points to find my zone.

Errol

occultangle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'll bow to your research efforts and findings. I'll pay closer attention but up till now I haven't been able to tell the difference but that could be because most of my vaping is in the 5v range and adjust up or down a couple of points to find my zone.

Errol

Yeah, it's a lot more noticeable at lower voltages. I never had much high ohm stuff because I was using eGo Twists, but I have a bunch of 2.5 ohm Vivi Nova heads that I liked to run at 4.4~4.8 volts, but on the 1.5 Lavatube I start getting burnt hits over 4 volts. So I'm going to get more things with higher resistance and it should start to level out.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Errol,

I want to be sure you know that I meant no offense by my disagreement about the effects of PWM. I like your posting very much. In fact, I expect to be in agreement with you about most things and was surprised to find us holding divergent views on this one thing.

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA

The 3.6v is the average and the pulses are so rapid (I'm guessing milliseconds)

Errol

I'm not sure what the boost chips are clocked at in Lavatubes, but I'm pretty sure that both the Murata and TI VV regulator chips I have are clocked at 150KHz.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Errol,

I want to be sure you know that I meant no offense by my disagreement about the effects of PWM. I like your posting very much. In fact, I expect to be in agreement with you about most things and was surprised to find us holding divergent views on this one thing.

I try to always respect an honest disagreement and sometimes they help me to better understand some things I didn't fully understand or had misinterpreted.

Lots of room to learn and grow and mutual respect is always helpful.

Errol

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
I'm not sure what the boost chips are clocked at in Lavatubes, but I'm pretty sure that both the Murata and TI VV regulator chips I have are clocked at 150KHz.

I just ordered an inexpensive scope to check some VV units I have. I'm a total novice in that area so possibly I will know what you are talking about after I've worked with it a bit. :)

Errol

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
just ordered some Lavatube v 2.0 samples from China, claiming original. It has the red power button.
Asked the seller for the amp limit, and this is his answer:

Ours limit Amp is about 4.6A , when the amp reach 4.6A , the device will cut down .

Can this be true?

I would say the odds are stacked heavily against that. LavaTube is coming out with a new model to be released in the near future. Volcano will be releasing one at 3amps. Would certainly be interesting if true though.

Do you have the ability (test equipment) to test them for amp limits? Be interested to hear from you when they come in.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...8-how-about-some-new-lavatube-discussion.html

Errol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread