Lecture from my boyfriend, pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Ok, so I've been telling my non-smoker boyfriend how he should be proud of me not smoking cancer sticks anymore, and he just told me that the nicotine I'm still inhaling affects brain and that I'm still addicted to that hand to mouth movement so I haven't really quit and that I should switch to nicotine gums and then quit Grr. I'm addicted to vaping and literally never take it out of my mouth. But. The only reason I switched to vaping is not because I wanted to quit, but because I knew I was badly damaging my health with analogs. I don't want to quit vaping. I tried gums many times, but the longest I've gone analog free with them was half a day. I was just wondering, do any of you plan on quitting after some time of using your PVs? I think I will try 0 nic juice after a while, just to see how it goes and then maybe I'll quit vaping as well. At the moment, I enjoy it way too much, but I do have some worries about a long term effect of inhaling nicotine.

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
boyfriends/girlfriends can a pain be in general :) can't say that really because i've never had a boyfriend but i would assume.... allot of people don't really understand pv's so more then likely your probably just gonna have to deal with his ignorance on the matter or try and educate him about it wich he probably won't care to learn about it... just be happy that you found an alternative and tell him to be happy that you don't taste like an ashtray :) you are still the woman in the relationship you have more control even if most guys don't care to admit that...

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans

Debian Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2011
VA
XoomFAQ.com
If I was you BF I would be more concerned with your username! :p

He should be "happy" you have a hand and mouth "addiction" issue. As far as "addiction" goes. i guess I am addicted to sugar, caffeine, nicotine, and sex . In the grand scheme of life? Who cares. There are far far worse things to be addicted to.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Nicotine per se is not substantially addictive; as found in cigarettes, the MAO-inhibitors (anti-depressants) - nicotine combo is the reason behind smokes being 'that' addictive. Then again, there are many other aspects behind tobacco cigarettes being addictive. This will even vary from person to person.

While you have "technically" become a NON-SMOKER, it could be said that you haven't entirely quit the behavioral aspect and nicotine. This is not DEADLY and functional. You could gradually reduce your nic intake as in a NRT fashion, and eventually vape 0 nic. While this is probably "politically correct", nicotine is not really any worse than caffeine, so it is a personal choice.
Moving to nicotine pharma products is NOT a sensible option. And while your boyfriend speaks out of ignorance, he may be worried for your health and you should bear in mind that there is an instinctive tendency to react this (stupid) way. You should inform him that your nicotine intake is as bad as his coffee... You could even do some research on this together...
Then again, vaping is obviously MUCH SAFER than traditional smoking and totally safe for the ones sorrounding you, but the long term effects are not determined yet. This may be a good reason to quit vaping eventually if you want to stay on the totally safe road. Flavorings (mostly) may not be totally safe. However, it is logical to assume that this safer alternative to smoking is pretty much safe.
Many, if not most, of us did not want to quit in the first place and have become 'vapers for good', so to speak. Spend some time reading and studying this together with your boyfriend; make doctors or professionals (who are 'updated' that is...) let him know about this facts... You boyfriend will eventually understand.

Welcome.

You will find a lot of useful information in this very forum... Threads; links; research; etc. Browse through it!

"Ad astra per nidor"

PS: Is your avatar's pic "the real you"? Just curious...!

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Nicotine per se is not substantially addictive; as found in cigarettes, the MAO-inhibitors (anti-depressants) - nicotine combo is the reason behind smokes being 'that' addictive. Then again, there are many other aspects behind tobacco cigarettes being addictive. This will even vary from person to person.

While you have "technically" become a NON-SMOKER, it could be said that you haven't entirely quit the behavioral aspect and nicotine. This is not DEADLY and functional. You could gradually reduce your nic intake as in a NRT fashion, and eventually vape 0 nic. While this is probably "politically correct", nicotine is not really any worse than caffeine, so it is a personal choice.
Moving to nicotine pharma products is NOT a sensible option. And while your boyfriend speaks out of ignorance, he may be worried for your health and you should bear in mind that there is an instinctive tendency to react this (stupid) way. You should inform him that your nicotine intake is as bad as his coffee... You could even do some research on this together...
Then again, vaping is obviously MUCH SAFER than traditional smoking and totally safe for the ones sorrounding you, but the long term effects are not determined yet. This may be a good reason to quit vaping eventually if you want to stay on the totally safe road. Flavorings (mostly) may not be totally safe. However, it is logical to assume that this safer alternative to smoking is pretty much safe.
Many, if not most, of us did not want to quit in the first place and have become 'vapers for good', so to speak. Spend some time reading and studying this together with your boyfriend; make doctors or professionals (who are 'updated' that is...) let him know about this facts... You boyfriend will eventually understand.

Welcome.

You will find a lot of useful information in this very forum... Threads; links; research; etc. Browse through it!

"Ad astra per nidor"

PS: Is your avatar's pic "the real you"? Just curious...!

Thanks for the advice. And no, haha. I got the pic from google as I don't have any pics of me smoking, yuk. This is me though. :)

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
Thanks for the advice. And no, haha. I got the pic from google as I don't have any pics of me smoking, yuk. This is me though. :)
false advertising :p don't count on your boyfriend understanding eventually though my girl still doesn't understand she's just happy that i don't smell like smoke anymore...

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Stand your ground unfaithful. Don't let him tell you anything about vaping. He never smoked so he wouldn't understand. If he doesn't like it, there is always more fish in the sea. After 21 years of marriage, I would dare my husband to tell me to quit something that I enjoy. He wouldn't see the light of day after that.

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
Stand your ground unfaithful. Don't let him tell you anything about vaping. He never smoked so he wouldn't understand. If he doesn't like it, there is always more fish in the sea. After 21 years of marriage, I would dare my husband to tell me to quit something that I enjoy. He wouldn't see the light of day after that.
exactly why i said for her to remember shes the woman :)... evil i tell you!!..... love your sig by the way:)

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Actually, I made a mistake in my first post. My boyfriend is an ex-smoker. He quit using nicotine gum more than a month ago. He was a was a heavy smoker and smoked for years. He quit before using gums, but went back to smoking 8 months later. Lets see how long he'll last this time, pfft. We both decided to quit that time, and bought a pack of nicotine gums, it worked for him, because he tried it before, but I just couldn't do it and bought a pack of analogs the same day and smoked until I found out about PVs.

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
Actually, I made a mistake in my first post. My boyfriend is an ex-smoker. He quit using nicotine gum more than a month ago. He was a was a heavy smoker and smoked for years. He quit before using gums, but went back to smoking 8 months later. Lets see how long he'll last this time, pfft. We both decided to quit that time, and bought a pack of nicotine gums, it worked for him, because he tried it before, but I just couldn't do it and bought a pack of analogs the same day and smoked until I found out about PVs.
nicotine gum works great for some people and not others, same with the patch. my step dad swears by it.. when he actually tries to quit. he hates the gum though. i used gum one of the first times i quit and it worked great. untill some unforseen cicumstances that made me want to smoke again. the thing with pv's. for me atleast, was that im not in it to quit smoking im in it for an alternative. the gum and the patch are made to step down so that you quit, a pv is made so that you have something healthier to do. i rarely crave a cigarette anymore but when i do i grab my pv and vape like crazy other then a few slip ups, other then that i just vape because i enjoy it and i don't want cravings to pop up. with gum or the patch you don't have that. you quit and your off the "cycle" of the product but something pops up and you want to smoke, more then likely you go buy a pack or a single stick depending on where your at and your back on it like it was just another failed attempt.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires

Well, basically it is the same thing; you should get informed and talk to him about the fact nicotine is not 'entirely' bad, and if you wish you can reduce this gradually until you are nic-free. From that point you could continue vaping zero nic or even quit vaping altogether. Your choice. Your boyfriend should respect this. Nevertheless, the fact he is an ex-smoker may translate into a more "hostile" context... Meaning, it is very typical of ex-smokers to become anti-smokers and as such, they are very likely to be totally non supportive with your new hobby/ habit. While this may be harsh you should try to persuade him in a friendly way, which may be more effective. Maybe he is not entirely aware of the "objectivity" to this. It is very likely for ex-smokers to become biased and to be fundamentalistic about this.

Good Luck... You may need it!

PS: The photo is cool. Looks very sophisticated and 'cinematographic'... =)

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places

If gum worked for him, then great but it didn't for you. Vaping works so stick with it no matter what he complains about (actually it sounds like he is jealous of you).

My parents quit with patches, I couldn't. I still smoked with them on. I tried gum and the patch together...still no good, and still smoked. Vaping works...we all can attest to that.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
I can see how someone who quit with gum would get weird around someone who quit with a PV, especially a significant other or spouse. The PV is a barrier that gets attention from the user.

Hopefully you can talk it out and reassure him that you are just doing what works for you to quit smoking. I doubt his argument is really about nicotine and your brain and hand-to-mouth action, he probably feels isolated when you are vaping. I think we've all dealt with non-smokers who were willing to stand next to us while we smoked, just because they didn't want to be left alone; as well as ex-smoker friends who couldn't stand to be near us because it was too much of a temptation to go back to smoking.

CBB

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pennsylvania
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't want to smoke vaping is going to be a part of your life now, if he doesn't like it you aren't married tell him to hit the bricks, he may come to see things your way.

Yes nicotine affects your brain, it keeps you sane, how many of us have wanted to rip someone's head off for breathing too loud when we tried to go cold turkey.

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
Maybe you're more addicted to the action than the nicotine. Dear bf needs to remember everyone is different. My hubby uses the e-cig too but he's more hooked on the nic and for me its the act of that I enjoy. I barely touched mine yesterday just didn't feel like it. I don't think hubby could do that or at least not without someone's head rolling...lol

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't want to smoke vaping is going to be a part of your life now, if he doesn't like it you aren't married tell him to hit the bricks, he may come to see things your way.

Yes nicotine affects your brain, it keeps you sane, how many of us have wanted to rip someone's head off for breathing too loud when we tried to go cold turkey.

lol that's the cold blooded aproach, can't tell someone to get out of your life over something so trivial. if the significant other can't really deal with it to the point where they would leave then ya sure but that's a very extreme and ridiculous situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread