Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Hey all,

Is it just me, or are we all getting inconsistent draw from different types of atties from vendors?

For example...I like a tight draw...like an analog draw...something that makes you feel like you're vaping on something (not a wet sock) but more of a feeling of suction when you're taking a vape.

Some 510's have a very airy type draw and you don't feel the vape at all when taking a pull, it's almost like sucking on air and a lot of airflow is going through the atty. You don't get much throat hit with these types of loose draws.

Some people arent sure what i mean, but the best way to describe it is a "tight" draw is like sucking on a wet sock, and a very lose draw feels like you're just sucking air and almost feels as if there is no atty there, no resistance.

What i do know is that adapters can impact your draw...if you're using a 901 with a 510 adapter..the draw might be a lot harder when using an adapter for 510, compared to when using a 901 atty LR with a 901 battery connector. The adapter restricts airflow so sometimes it feels like you're toking on a closed straw, but yet you still get the vapor and throat hit. I'm starting to think it's just me thats realizing this because I havent heard many discussions about draw and airflow. I think they vary from atty to atty, and adapter to adapter..but is anyone experiencing different types of draws when they vape ? Whether it be a regular 510 battery,ego, or box mod, or custom mod such as the Phid, and journeyman ?

I do realize that certain mods restrict airflow because there is a needle or something "like" a needle feed system in the battery connector hole which restricts flow and makes it harder to draw...

but which do you guys prefer? and do you know of any vendors, or types of atties that produce a tight vs. loose draw ?

Or am I losing my mind and everyone else finds that the draw is the same on all atty types?

Lets discuss?

I'm currently using a 901 with 510 adapter and I get a tight draw, like an analog...no airflow, and it makes for more vapor and more TH, but you don't feel the TH until your lips leave the tip because of the tightness of the draw.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Good post and excellent question JuniorNA.

When I recieved my Riva 510's, the draw was noticeably lighter and airier than the Egos I have. Couldn't get the vapor or TH I needed. I prefer a tighter draw.

I switched the attys out with Genuine Joy attys and everything is good. I don't know if that is typical of Riva attys or if was just the luck of the draw (pun). The Riva attys were physically different in that they have a 1/4 inch gold band that extends up from the threaded end.

The Rivas also registered a slightly higher resistance than the Ego attys. 2.5 ohms compared to 2.4 ohms. I have a 2.6 ohm ego atty that produces less vapor and TH, but the draw is normal.

So, in my limited experience, a small difference in ohms resistance can also make a big difference in performance. 2.4 ohms or less is acceptable. 2.5 ohms and above is not, even on a RoughStack.

Genuine Ego attys seem to be fairly consistent in draw. The two Rivas were consistently light and airy. Needless to say I have not ordered any more Genuine Riva attys.

I too am curious if anyone else has had the same type experience with different brands.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
It's weird how everyone's experience may vary. For me, when the draw is too tight...I feel very cloudy and I get light headed ...and it feels like i'm sucking a golf ball through a garden hose (we've all heard that one)...but I get this weird feeling of light headedness, like after trying to blow up a balloon...and when there is no draw, very loose....i feel nothing. It just feels like i'm sucking on a straw. What i can say is that it's def the PV as well. I'm using a phidias wooden mod and the connector is deep so the draw if very airy, that same 510 LR atty on an ego will pull and vape nicely, then be very airy on the phidas.

Also, 901 with an adapter for 510 fitting seem to clear up the airy draw since the adapter holes are covered, but sometimes the draw is too hard. The 901 only has one airhole and that can get clogged with juice, so once that is clogged, you're literally sucking on a pen....so i think the 901 has less room for error.

Bottom line is , when using my regular ego/tornado...i experience the same draw on all my 901/510 LR SLB or Joye atties, then when using custom mods, the draws vary...and i get very lght headed if i'm sucking on a hard draw all day

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Great thread...! I have experienced that TH and amount of vapor is not directly related to how tight or airy the draw is but only indirectly; circumstancially. I think that if vapor production is not affected by different circumstancial conditions, such as liquid in the air canal, which really are the main issues behind the TH and vapor properties production, then, the TH and vapor qualities are to be substantially the same, nevermind the 'tightness' of the draw. Then, whether it is tighter or airier, it will be better or worse in light of how hard or intense one puffs; thats why some people get light headed and dizzy in one case and some in the other... Then, of course, sealing the lips makes for further blood irrigation, which is behind this also; causing some dizziness. The thing is, I guess, some atties have the coils closer to the holes, thus making for a tighter draw, and some others dont cover the hole that much, this is a natural inconsitency to atties manufacturing process. But, the very reason for the TH and vapor to be different from ideal are not the draw 'tightness' but the fact that if the atty is airer it is to be more likely to drain and flood or clogg, and in the case of a tighter atty this wont happen...
Are you with me?

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Oh! And maybe I did not specify enough and it wasnt implicit, but people who prefer a tight draw tend to suck on harder and with an airy draw they still do causing more air flow than can be vaporized to go through the atty... And people who prefer airy atties tend to suck harder than hard when the draw is tight, ending up in the same road...

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I cant tell the difference between 510 atty manufacturers. But out of all the attys ive ever used (all 510) the draw was pretty even.

The very first 510 starter kit i bought (awesomevapor) had the gold bands the op mentioned, plus AV was engraved in the band. They worked great.

Then i ordered a 5-pack of 510 attys from a different vendor, these didnt have the gold band, but they also work great.

Then i ordered a 510 Riva kit from Eastmall, which came with the gold band attys again (no engraving) and again, working perfectly.

I really wish i was able to identify 510 atty manufacturers by eye... Ive been lucky so far shooting in the dark.

Last edited:

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
All of my 510 atties have similar draw when using an ego, but they are very airy when using box mods because the connector has a hole on bottom for syringe feed system.

They are all very airy when using....my box mods.

All except my 901 with adapter... the 901 with adapter minimizes air flow since the adapter stops the air flow and creates a tighter draw.

The air flow is tight when using ego or a box mod

It's also because the 901 has one air hole and the 510 has two air holes plus have more flow through the atomizer itself. 901s are not known for their airflow. However if you don't tighten the 901 to the adapter too tight you get better air flow. Weird.

I need tight air flow on my box mods, which is why a 901 is great and then I need a 510 for the eGo...

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread