Let's see those patinas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

isademigod

Aug 8, 2014
Virginia
20140813_031617.jpg
this is the door knocker i tested it on, the first time i sprayed with water to make the salt stick and not ammonia, that was a mistake, but then i buffed one side with steel wool and tried again with ammonia
IMG_20140806_003456.jpg
the only good picture i have of the patina'd mod, i didnt leave it in for long enough and i didnt have good ammonia to get it all the way blue

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
View attachment 364521
this is the door knocker i tested it on, the first time i sprayed with water to make the salt stick and not ammonia, that was a mistake, but then i buffed one side with steel wool and tried again with ammonia
View attachment 364522
the only good picture i have of the patina'd mod, i didnt leave it in for long enough and i didnt have good ammonia to get it all the way blue

You guys and your 'mistakes'... lol. It may not be what you intended, but it's awesome looknig. I'd like to see a more close up picture of it.

If there's one thing I've learned from seeing a few of the 'didn't turn out like I wanted it to' posts around here, it's that patina's shouldn't be scary. Even when they go 'wrong' they're cool.

isademigod

Aug 8, 2014
Virginia
View attachment 364521
View attachment 364522

isademigod

Aug 8, 2014
Virginia
You guys and your 'mistakes'... lol. It may not be what you intended, but it's awesome looknig. I'd like to see a more close up picture of it.

If there's one thing I've learned from seeing a few of the 'didn't turn out like I wanted it to' posts around here, it's that patina's shouldn't be scary. Even when they go 'wrong' they're cool.

haha thanks dude it just didn't look as pretty as I wanted it to look... once I buy more ammonia I'll try again and leave it in longer
thanks for your kind words though it makes me want to try again more

Mark Howard

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
www.dreadysmodspa.com
I guess I'll have to try both types. Thanks.

Do I have to prep before doing so.

Ya, you want to wash the metal and then sand off the outside layer, I'd use 400 grit, you'll be able to see the fresh copper or brass right away. Thats what you want to patina, but use gloves after washing, finger oils witll block patina so don't touch the clean metal.

isademigod

Aug 8, 2014
Virginia
20140818_124516.jpg
GUYS IM FINALLY DONE
i used grocery store ammonia, couldnt find anything stronger. i alternated between coarse and fine salt, maybe about 5 times over the 28 hour period, washing it off with ammonia with salt dissolved in it first.
20140818_235421.jpg
this picture was taken on my phone, doesnt quite do it justice. i didnt wait long enough with the auto gloss enamel, so there are some fingerprints on it
DSCN2097.jpg

NikZak

May 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
OK folks, here's is my third attempt at patina, first time with copper

iWcRU7W.jpg

029n1D5.jpg

super saturated ammonia + table salt solution, 21 hours, 5 coats of timber flooring polyurethane and a polish with Mother's cut & polish results in this tiger/zebra striped beauty

Just for balance, here is my first patina, brass 4nine clone, straight ammonia with sprinkled salt, 4 hours, 5 coats satin flooring polyurethane (can you tell I work in a flooring store?) and no polish

PbnvNtt.jpg

and my second patina, again brass but this time a Stingray clone, this was an ammonia and mustard patina, 4 hours, 5 coats of gloss spray enamel (which didn't dry and turned matte from being handled)

0GmI5Lc.jpg

How did I do?

Reactions: RugDocta

Mark Howard

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
www.dreadysmodspa.com
OK folks, here's is my third attempt at patina, first time with copper

iWcRU7W.jpg

029n1D5.jpg

super saturated ammonia + table salt solution, 21 hours, 5 coats of timber flooring polyurethane and a polish with Mother's cut & polish results in this tiger/zebra striped beauty

Just for balance, here is my first patina, brass 4nine clone, straight ammonia with sprinkled salt, 4 hours, 5 coats satin flooring polyurethane (can you tell I work in a flooring store?) and no polish

PbnvNtt.jpg

and my second patina, again brass but this time a Stingray clone, this was an ammonia and mustard patina, 4 hours, 5 coats of gloss spray enamel (which didn't dry and turned matte from being handled)

0GmI5Lc.jpg

How did I do?

That penny looks great. Brass can be hard to get blues out of, I like seeing some of the brass thru the textures.

NikZak

May 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
oh my god that copper one looks the ....
what strength of ammonia did you use, and where did you get it?

If you're referring to mine, I just bought ordinary cheap household cleaning ammonia from the supermarket. I'll check the strength on the bottle when I get home from work tonight (I remember it was written down the bottom but not what the number was)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread