The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Let's see those patinas!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by jmunk, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. twrex

twrex Full Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Bartlett Tn
    I'm at the store now getting some.

Sent from my s5 while vaping

2. NikZak

NikZak Super Member

May 28, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Started these two last night... Brass GP Paps 18650, sanded, salt and saturated ammonia, Copper Mutant 26650, sanded, salt and saturated ammonia

[​IMG]

A shot just before bed last night (approx 8-10 hours ago)

[​IMG]

And now, here I am at work, still watching over my patina-ing babies, giving them the nutrients they need to grow that gorgeous patina :) this is at about the 14 hour mark

[​IMG]

These will probably go another 8-10 hours, probably won't wash them off until I get home from work tonight, want to really bring out the blues on the Copper and see what happens in 24 hours on Brass as I've only ever done fast patinas on brass and it usually turns out mostly brown which I'd like to avoid this time

Also I don't know if anyone is on Instagram but I post photos there too, Nik_Zak

3. CAP1

CAP1 Full Member Verified Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon, USA
    Which one is the brass?

I bought a brass mech mod I want to patina but I'm trying to find all the brass mod pics i can so I know how it might turn out. Wish I could turn brass a jade green but I'll take what I can get.

4. NikZak

NikZak Super Member

May 28, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    The 26650 is copper and the 18650 is brass

Here is an update, I washed, dried, coated and polished the Mutant last night, looks amazing in my opinion, kind of a blue, green, brown and gold granite effect I think

None of these photos are edited, they're exactly as they look, sorry about the many photos, There's lots of angles where it looks good I think

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Brass Paps came out not bad also, I left it at home though so I'll take some photos tonight of the three tubes I did at separate times on that family

5. 1buda

1buda Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    After I mix the salt & ammonia, what's next? How do you apply the mixture to the mod? From the pictures above I see paper towels on the bottom of the tray, what is this for? Sorry for all the questions.

6. CAP1

CAP1 Full Member Verified Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Oregon, USA
    All these look so good. I cant wait to start on my brass Zodiac RJ Mod!

@1buda, the paper towles hold the ammonia and salt and you use a spray bottle to apply the same on the tubing. Watch some youtube videos. I've been. Watching them for several days now lol. Learning a lot.

7. Mark Howard

Mark Howard Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Nov 11, 2013
    Was going for all blue, but the green doesn't bother me either.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. weenerdog3443

weenerdog3443 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 9, 2014
    md
  9. jmunk

jmunk Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2011
    Orem, UT
    Man all these patinas look so good. I just cleaned my patina off and going to rock it copper this week and put a new one on next weekend.

10. Mark Howard

Nov 11, 2013
    Sir Lancelot
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

11. Kh888

Kh888 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2014
    Illinois
    Looks fantastic!

12. jmunk

jmunk Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2011
    Orem, UT
    Man that is one of the best looking patina I have seen! How did you get those colors?

13. Mark Howard

Nov 11, 2013
    Hard to say, I did egg, then mustard, then ammonia salt, then a vinegar soak. I just kept working into it til it got this way.

14. NikZak

NikZak Super Member

May 28, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've been searching up on this egg patina thing... how exactly does it work as there doesn't seem to be anything on the Youtube about it... perhaps you have a link?

15. Nana Gail

Nana Gail Super Member

Aug 9, 2014
    niceville Florida USA
    Bravo All, Just stunning works of art! Keep up the creativity and let us see them.:thumbs:

16. Evilocity

Evilocity Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2014
    Washington DC
    Sounds like you did all the methods in one shot lol. Well it certainly worked in your favor! That thing looks ridiculous. Almost seems metallic /sparkly in the pic. Definitely one of the best patinas I've seen.

17. Evilocity

Jun 30, 2014
    Washington DC
    Most egg patina jobs are just putting a warm, peeled and crushed hard boiled egg in a zip lock bag with your mod and letting it sit for 6 plus hours (mod not touching). I did it with a copper nemmy and it gave a brownish, mottled patina that was pretty great. Mostly yielded a very aged look, not much color.

18. NikZak

NikZak Super Member

May 28, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    ok, so you'd probably use a large bag and have the egg in a corner right?

19. Evilocity

Jun 30, 2014
    Washington DC
    I used a sandwich size and kept the egg to one side. Carefully placed the mod in the bag while the bag was on the counter and zipped it up. It starts to change color/darken quickly, I left mine in for around 6 hours. I'd say it gets better looking with more time, but I'm impatient and only wanted an aged look. I'd recommend the other methods if you want more color and unique appearance.

20. NikZak

NikZak Super Member

May 28, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sounds good, I might try it on one of the three Cartel clones I'm doing this weekend before I stick it in the ammonia chamber...

So far I've only done torched, ammonia/salt and ammonia and mustard patinas but this might give me a slightly different and more interesting texture

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.