listing side by side mods

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Although not in your choices I love my Kato clome, built like a brick sh*t house, should last a very long time.

They Kayto has been mentioned before and it looks good, I'm just worried about the weight. If it's too heavy it stays home and doesn't get used. Sad but true. I've got dents in my shoulders from carrying heavy weight mods around. Add $15 for a wrap too.

Reactions: Katdarling

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Which one on FT is better? Microstick, Gizmo, Contential?

Between the Microstick and Gizmo, Gizmo worked much better out of the box. There were internal connection problems with the Microstick (and a manufacturing mistake) which made it hit weakly and inconsistently, but it did have a nicer switch IMO. Gizmo's the better deal though, because it takes 18650 batteries as well as 18500.

Continental or Black Oak both work well and have a good switch. Which one kinda depends on whether you prefer plastic or wood. The bulk and the edgy atty cage can make them uncomfortable in the hand though. Do look at the Black Oak too. Both are based on the same design.

$22.85 Black Oak Styled 26650 Mechanical Mod - aluminum + wood at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$24.38 Continental Mods Styled Mechanical Box Mod - 1*26650 / 1*18650 / aluminum / silver at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Detail please, pretty please even. :)

Okay, my main grievance about the Microstick clone is that the idiots press fit the brass switch thread insert into the body on top of the anodizing rather than the bare aluminum. That mistake seriously compromised the electrical connection. Took me time and and several tests with jump wires to locate the problem. If I had yanked it out and removed the anodizing it would not have fit back solidly. So my solution was to install an aluminum pin to electrically bridge the two, shown below.

Hole drilled, pin press fit to create contact, rough.
IMAG0576_picmonkeyed (1).jpg

Ground flush and finished.
IMAG0581_picmonkeyed (1).jpg

Anyway, I'm happy with the mod now, but cannot recommend the Microstick clone in its stock form.

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Okay, my main grievance about the Microstick clone is that the idiots press fit the brass switch thread insert into the body on top of the anodizing rather than the bare aluminum. That mistake severely compromised the electrical connection. Took me time and and several tests with jump wires to locate the problem. If I'd yanked it out and removed the anodizing it would not have fit back solidly. My solution is shown below.

Hole drilled, aluminum pin press fit to create contact, rough.
View attachment 508297

Flush and finished.
View attachment 508298

Anyway, I'm happy with the mod now, but cannot recommend the Microstick clone in its stock form.

I missed seeing the Black Oak.

I don't know how to tag someone but there might be several interested in your solution. Was it hard to get the press fitting out and back in? Seems like such a simple, stupid F&$#%K up.

Another chinese supplier had the 1835O/185OO and I considered that might be a different manufacturer but they don't have the feedback system like FT which makes me nervous. It's also limited to 16mm atty.

My goal was to upgrade my MV gripper since I love that so much even hating the atty restrictions. I'd be tempted to go original but the website wasn't taking orders last I checked and if it was, it'd be another 6 months to get. That leaves the choice of clone or clone or clone.

I can get almost a full day out of a 1835O on the MV gripper. I expected to use it outdoors, camping, hiking, etc. but discovered I was using it everyday due to size and weight. I use my mini Vmod nearly everyday for the same reasons. I don't need hard hitting or clouds. Geesh, I quit on an ego.

The Kato is just under 7 oz. The microstick is about 4.1 oz. There's no point of a mod that doesn't work. I don't like the industrial look of stainless and that's why it needs a wrap. I'm thinking.

ONE MORE! But I know even less about this one or the vendor ...
Authentic Kangside Luxury Box 35W Red 18650 VW Box Mod

Kangside has some interesting products. How does that look compared to the Xvo? I could get talked into getting both a mech and regulated ....

I'm rambling / thinking out loud because your advice has been helpful. Thx.

Last edited:

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
My understanding of the Luxury box is that it's pretty wide for what it is. I have the Xvo stick clone & it's really nice except I'm not into tanks anymore. I tried it a little with both of my Fountain V2's & had problems with both of them causing high ohm warnings or check atty warnings. I also had bad luck using my new Smok TV4 mini but honestly I think that tank is a turd (IMO of course) Also it was pretty tough to get to the squonk bottle on the Fountain but I may try it again. If you want a regulated or TC device the Xvo stick may be an option for you but there have been various complaints about the authentic & clones in the threads dedicated to them. I haven't personally used my clone enough to comment but with my Sub Tank Mini it has been rock solid for the two tanks of juice I used through it.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Was it hard to get the press fitting out and back in? Seems like such a simple, stupid F&$#%K up.

I never took it out. Just installed the pin to make a solid electrical connection between the brass and aluminum.

I can get almost a full day out of a 1835O on the MV gripper. I expected to use it outdoors, camping, hiking, etc. but discovered I was using it everyday due to size and weight.

I think we've talked abut the Gripper before. Hard to replace its soft, rounded, lightness. :( You have my sympathies. If you can get by with an 18350, this tiny and light regulated (not side by side) is supposed to be pretty good: focalecig.com - Authentic KangSiDe Vamo 18350 25W Variable Voltage/Wattage VV/VW Box Mod - Silver

Reactions: aikanae1

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
my main grievance about the Microstick clone is that the idiots press fit the brass switch thread insert into the body on top of the anodizing rather than the bare aluminum.

Thanks, not a show stopper for me. Your solution is elegant. :)

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I never took it out. Just installed the pin to make a solid electrical connection between the brass and aluminum.

I think we've talked abut the Gripper before. Hard to replace its soft, rounded, lightness. :( You have my sympathies. If you can get by with an 18350, this tiny and light regulated (not side by side) is supposed to be pretty good: focalecig.com - Authentic KangSiDe Vamo 18350 25W Variable Voltage/Wattage VV/VW Box Mod - Silver

I forgot that was a replaceable battery. :thumb:
I've been doing searches on 3fvape and they seem pretty stand up alternative. Considering it's still China.

Here's the other one I was looking at. For some reason I thought it might be a different manufacturer, which I guess doesn't mean better or worse? Limited to 16mm atty isn't ideal but I could manage.

MicroStick Style Mechanical Mod - Black, Aluminum, 1 x 18350 / 18500 - 3FVape

I do like the simplicity of mech's. I feel like I could learn to mcgiver them together if I ever needed to. I'd just prefer not starting out that way.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Here's the other one I was looking at. For some reason I thought it might be a different manufacturer, which I guess doesn't mean better or worse? Limited to 16mm atty isn't ideal but I could manage.

MicroStick Style Mechanical Mod - Black, Aluminum, 1 x 18350 / 18500 - 3FVape

I do like the simplicity of mech's. I feel like I could learn to mcgiver them together if I ever needed to. I'd just prefer not starting out that way.

Those are available (variously w/wo attys) from Focalecig, FT and other places. I expect they're the same manufacturer as the bigger one I got, which has the same basic components, so don't have your hopes too high right out of the box. Wish you the best of luck in any case.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Nice find @westpole ! Only $20?? Mhh seems it's meant to pair up with the GS air 2 tank.....but indeed with the 14mm limit and apparently no VW it's a no for me....but indeed hope they bring out some more advanced versions!

BASIC is an appropriate name for it. Good sign for the form factor though.

Users who are viewing this thread