Long time user finally concerned about side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

latexyankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE

This will be long..

Preface:
First off I've been vaping close to 10 years, before 20 years on cigs, back when a 510 was a battery not just a thread type. Back when we had PCC's and cartos. I've had 810's 510's egos, mechs, provari's, tanks, carts, drippers....Ive been wrapping my coils for close to 8 years. I am just stating this so veterans here can understand I've been around the block.

I also have seen and continue to see many defensive and disgruntled responses to people here that post anything other than vaping is great, long live vape. I expect this thread to be treated kindly and respected as I will will also respect your opinions. I've been here along time, I know who are solid contributors and some who are ..... If you search my post history you will find a thread from 5 years ago where I questioned my new relationship with a woman who wanted to start vaping. She had been nic free for 4 years when we started dating and wanted to take up vaping. I was considering ending our early relationship over it. I know in retrospect that it was the wrong approach but seemingly NOONE could understand my point of view. Well now she hates vaping more than anything in her life, cries sometimes because she "cant" quit, hates her dryer skin, despises the "effort" involved (although minimal). All I was saying is that she would REGRET this decision and I was met with extreme backlash, and I was right. I knew it then, its true now. The one thing she regrets the most in the past 10 years is picking up vaping. This thread is closed but some of it will come into play. Please be respectful in your responses and opinions. As I stated up top, I am asking for advice from long term members.

So to the matter at hand. I have been, for the 2 years coughing, wheezing at night (pretty bad, wife can hear it) and just generally not comfortable in vaping.Throat irritation, shortness of breath etc...I exclusively sqounk moved everything to profile rda's with mesh coil. I changed to DL inhale about 5 years ago from a hybrid MTL and started with tight MTL (we had no choice back in the day). I also experience chest pains from time to time. My nic is 3mg, been stuck there for years ever since I went DL.

The wheezing and daily coughing and congestion are not directly related to the mesh as traditional kanthal, SS, TI, whatever would cause it too. I would think its more related to DL inhale and the influx of vapor. I tried to go back to a hybrid MTL setup but just found it hard to become satisfied. I'm thinking of quitting for good, which I've thought of many times before but failed in my attempts. So I'm looking for opinions or options from experienced members who have maybe been in the same boat? I've also noticed that alot of juices have changed, or its just me? What was once smooth is now irritable unless I turn it down to say 20 watts. I've read a few of my brands changed their recipes, cut costs and I blamed it on that. I'm having trouble finding any juices I truly like anymore and never got into DIY. I always felt I should but I feel I dont have the time or patience required to dial in recipes. I'm pretty busy most days and weekends. So I suppose there are a few options...

1. Quit. Honestly I would love to. Save money, no more remembering to bring gear etc. My wife would love it as she states she cant quit until I do, the temptation is too much for her. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that but I am seriously considering the option.

2. DIY juice? Could this be whats been causing this the last few years? 3mg maybe too strong but then I dont feel satisfied and sometimes dont even with 3mg?

3. Back to MTL 6mg? Not sure if this would make it harder to quit. Less vapor but more concentrate, still think 3mg with DL would be more overall nic consumption.

4. Combination of 3&4? But I need a combo that would satisfy.

Not sure about any of this anymore, the FDA is going to shut this down eventually (I really think they will) and we could all be left with only 3 choices. Quit, blackmarket or purchase what THEY manufacture. But for now I am simply not enjoying vaping anymore and it has been like cigs the past few years. I dont want to do it because it makes me wheeze cough and irritated but I'm clearly addicted. Give me your experiences/ideas on what may help me and what are YOUR plans for the future?

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
Silly question, but have you talked to your doctor? After 25 years of smoking 2.5 packs a day I switched to vaping 12 years ago (starting with 36mg and slowly over time weaning myself down to 18-20mg). As a smoker I would cough at night, could not make it up a flight of stairs without being seriously winded, and even coughing when I would laugh.... All of that went away since I started vaping. If I were you I would have a talk with your doctor if you have not already. (If it were me that was happening to, vaping would be the last of my considerations as it has never been an issue).

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I also experience chest pains from time to time.
Once you said this, the rest of our advice doesn't matter at all.

Go get ya a coronary or lung workup of some sort from your doctor. Although you didn't describe the pain, you may need a cardiologist or a pulmonologist, but whatever, you need expert advice.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes I'm not sure I "get" this post. If something changed drastically with vaping, you should get yourself to the doctor and investigate the symptoms.

Also it IS possible to become sensitive to ingredients (I am PG sensitive, not allergic, but sensitive.)

Also, IDK what type of tank you are using but maybe you need to change wick and wire (or even type of wire) more regularly. You would need to put yourself on the vape elimination diet to find out, straight VG, then VG with nic, then add PG then add flavors.

Also, and I'm not trying to be critical, if it's REALLY vaping, stop. You can g get a can of Swedish Snus (confusingly labeled "American Snus" at most gas stations for really cheap. So, it's not like you have to suffer to do it.

Also, my husband still smokes cigarettes and I vape. If I had waited for HIM to be ready then, well, I probably would have an oxygen tank by now.

So, your wife is either totally codependent or using you as an excuse. Either way, that's not acceptable. . "The temptation is too much" is NOT acceptable. She's a grown woman not a child and someone (maybe you) needs to tell her to stop behaving like one.

Best of luck to both of you sounds like you both hate vaping, so yes my advice is to stop. If you can't do it without nic, well Swedish snus is an even SAFER alternative.

Although I do agree that you should see a doc and get a cardiac workup.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Everyone's different. I can only relate to my own experience. I smoked at least a pack per day for over 35 years. Over the last 10 of those years, I developed a terrible morning smoker's cough, got short of breath with nearly any kind of physical activity, and got bronchitis for at least 4 months every year. Over that time, I tried to quit smoking with the nicotine gum, patches, Welbutrin, and hypnosis twice. Nothing helped me to quit.

Bought a disposable NJoy cigalike, my first e-cigarette about 7 years ago. It wasn't great, but I knew this worked better than the other things I had tried. I did some research online, found ECF, and bought a more sophisticated vape setup much like you described. A cartotank and a Provari. Within a week I was smoke free and never touched another cigarette. The morning cough went away, I no longer became short of breath with exertion, and I haven't had bronchitis in 7 years. I would call that a long term success without any side effects.

I fully realize that vaping is not 100% safe. The UK says its 95% safer than smoking, and I'll gladly accept that 5% risk factor for my nicotine addiction. The other stuff didn't work for me, but vaping does. I've dropped my nic from 18 mg to 3-6 mg. For me, my "addiction" is as much the hand-to-mouth behavior and the pleasurable sensation of inhaling-exhaling smoke/vapor, as it is the feeding of my nicotine habit.

Even if the FDA full out bans vaping, it will not deter me from vaping. It's totally a become a part of my life. I know how to DIY my e-liquid flavors and how to make my own coils. I have enough gear stocked up to last me for the rest of my life.

When I retired a few years ago, I moved in with my younger brother who doesn't smoke or vape, to save on living expenses on a fixed income. We live on different floors in the same house. He actually hates my vaping. I try to compromise by vaping only outside or limit my indoor vaping to my bedroom with the door always closed. I'll probably be buying a room air purifier before Christmas, too.

I plan to vape until the day I die.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE

This will be long..

Preface:
First off I've been vaping close to 10 years, before 20 years on cigs, back when a 510 was a battery not just a thread type. Back when we had PCC's and cartos. I've had 810's 510's egos, mechs, provari's, tanks, carts, drippers....Ive been wrapping my coils for close to 8 years. I am just stating this so veterans here can understand I've been around the block.

I also have seen and continue to see many defensive and disgruntled responses to people here that post anything other than vaping is great, long live vape. I expect this thread to be treated kindly and respected as I will will also respect your opinions. I've been here along time, I know who are solid contributors and some who are ..... If you search my post history you will find a thread from 5 years ago where I questioned my new relationship with a woman who wanted to start vaping. She had been nic free for 4 years when we started dating and wanted to take up vaping. I was considering ending our early relationship over it. I know in retrospect that it was the wrong approach but seemingly NOONE could understand my point of view. Well now she hates vaping more than anything in her life, cries sometimes because she "cant" quit, hates her dryer skin, despises the "effort" involved (although minimal). All I was saying is that she would REGRET this decision and I was met with extreme backlash, and I was right. I knew it then, its true now. The one thing she regrets the most in the past 10 years is picking up vaping. This thread is closed but some of it will come into play. Please be respectful in your responses and opinions. As I stated up top, I am asking for advice from long term members.

So to the matter at hand. I have been, for the 2 years coughing, wheezing at night (pretty bad, wife can hear it) and just generally not comfortable in vaping.Throat irritation, shortness of breath etc...I exclusively sqounk moved everything to profile rda's with mesh coil. I changed to DL inhale about 5 years ago from a hybrid MTL and started with tight MTL (we had no choice back in the day). I also experience chest pains from time to time. My nic is 3mg, been stuck there for years ever since I went DL.

The wheezing and daily coughing and congestion are not directly related to the mesh as traditional kanthal, SS, TI, whatever would cause it too. I would think its more related to DL inhale and the influx of vapor. I tried to go back to a hybrid MTL setup but just found it hard to become satisfied. I'm thinking of quitting for good, which I've thought of many times before but failed in my attempts. So I'm looking for opinions or options from experienced members who have maybe been in the same boat? I've also noticed that alot of juices have changed, or its just me? What was once smooth is now irritable unless I turn it down to say 20 watts. I've read a few of my brands changed their recipes, cut costs and I blamed it on that. I'm having trouble finding any juices I truly like anymore and never got into DIY. I always felt I should but I feel I dont have the time or patience required to dial in recipes. I'm pretty busy most days and weekends. So I suppose there are a few options...

1. Quit. Honestly I would love to. Save money, no more remembering to bring gear etc. My wife would love it as she states she cant quit until I do, the temptation is too much for her. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that but I am seriously considering the option.

2. DIY juice? Could this be whats been causing this the last few years? 3mg maybe too strong but then I dont feel satisfied and sometimes dont even with 3mg?

3. Back to MTL 6mg? Not sure if this would make it harder to quit. Less vapor but more concentrate, still think 3mg with DL would be more overall nic consumption.

4. Combination of 3&4? But I need a combo that would satisfy.

Not sure about any of this anymore, the FDA is going to shut this down eventually (I really think they will) and we could all be left with only 3 choices. Quit, blackmarket or purchase what THEY manufacture. But for now I am simply not enjoying vaping anymore and it has been like cigs the past few years. I dont want to do it because it makes me wheeze cough and irritated but I'm clearly addicted. Give me your experiences/ideas on what may help me and what are YOUR plans for the future?

First of all, Schedule an Appointment with you Doctor. And have a Professional check things out.

---

As for ECF Advise...

It doesn't sound like you are Enjoying Vaping anymore. So Maybe it is Time to Quit?

I Can't give you any Ideas other than that. Because to be Honest, I Don't even know what type of e-Liquid your using? Or How much you use everyday?

All I can say is a Couple Years ago I started to have Some of the Issues you posted. And it had Nothing to do with Nicotine Levels. It was the Flavorings.

I moved to Unflavored in my Tank/RDA fill. With a Flavored Wick when I rebuilt and All my Problems went away. So Maybe you should Try that?

It might/probably would make Quitting Easier also.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I would check with your Dr and get a chest X-ray to see what your lungs are showing. Just my own experience after 8 yrs vaping. I could never do DL, it hurts for me. I only did MTL, about a month ago I went to MTE- mouth to exhale, I wanted to give my lungs a break. I don't miss inhaling I found out. I'm at 3 mg. I can vape and not inhale and still enjoy vaping. Plus no more worry about hurting my lungs.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
That's a hard one.

First question I have is, do you think you could be tempted back into smoking if you quit vaping? That would be a factor for me.

I can understand getting burned out with vaping. Sometimes it's a chore. All the gear and bottles and batteries and so forth, and all the coiling and wicking and filling.

I won't try to address your health concerns. But lately I've been trying to reduce the amount of inhaling I do. Just take it into my mouth and blow it out. Easy enough if you do low power MTL. I don't know if there are any problems with inhaling that stuff into the lungs, but why not try to reduce it.

Bottom line is, for me there's one big reason to continue. Namely fear of smoking. And no good reasons to quit. In your case there are good reasons to quit. Your wife's desire to quit, and possible health concerns. Going back to MTL and trying to reduce the amount you inhale might reduce your health concerns but it wouldn't help your wife. If you are sure you wouldn't fall back into smoking I think you should probably try to quit.

Good luck.

latexyankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Silly question, but have you talked to your doctor? After 25 years of smoking 2.5 packs a day I switched to vaping 12 years ago (starting with 36mg and slowly over time weaning myself down to 18-20mg). As a smoker I would cough at night, could not make it up a flight of stairs without being seriously winded, and even coughing when I would laugh.... All of that went away since I started vaping. If I were you I would have a talk with your doctor if you have not already. (If it were me that was happening to, vaping would be the last of my considerations as it has never been an issue).

Yes I have. Its directly related vaping as when I dont vape it doesnt happen. Only happens when I take multiple DL hits and only happens maybe once a month? Lasts just a few seconds, doc cant pinpoint anything as its infrequent and says to monitor and record when it happens. Its vape related.

latexyankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
First of all, Schedule an Appointment with you Doctor. And have a Professional check things out.

---

As for ECF Advise...

It doesn't sound like you are Enjoying Vaping anymore. So Maybe it is Time to Quit?

I Can't give you any Ideas other than that. Because to be Honest, I Don't even know what type of e-Liquid your using? Or How much you use everyday?

All I can say is a Couple Years ago I started to have Some of the Issues you posted. And it had Nothing to do with Nicotine Levels. It was the Flavorings.

I moved to Unflavored in my Tank/RDA fill. With a Flavored Wick when I rebuilt and All my Problems went away. So Maybe you should Try that?

It might/probably would make Quitting Easier also.

I am thinking its a combination of flavorings and vape style, I believe I have become sensitive to certain flavorings and Im pushing them too hard.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I am thinking its a combination of flavorings and vape style, I believe I have become sensitive to certain flavorings and Im pushing them too hard.
You could try vaping unflavored for a while - if you're still experiencing this, then you've ruled out flavorings as a culprit. Then you could try changing other aspects of how you vape. If it stops with unflavored, then you'll know it's a flavoring and can begin to work on pinpointing which one(s).

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

It could very well be.

I have also seen the Same things happen with VG and or PG in Long Term vaper's.

Some who started out using High PG for Throat Hit/Flavor have moved more towards a balanced mix because they were Dry Coughing. And some who Started out at High VG for clouds have done the same because of getting that Heavy Chest feeling.

The Long and the Short of it is though there's an Old Adage that many times applies. And that is...

Keep Doing what You're Doing and You'll Keep Getting whatcha Got.

So I would Change something.

I'd lean towards Quitting. Especially if your Wife is leaning that way also.

latexyankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It could very well be.

I have also seen the Same things happen with VG and or PG in Long Term vaper's.

Some who started out using High PG for Throat Hit/Flavor have moved more towards a balanced mix because they were Dry Coughing. And some who Started out at High VG for clouds have done the same because of getting that Heavy Chest feeling.

The Long and the Short of it is though there's an Old Adage that many times applies. And that is...

Keep Doing what You're Doing and You'll Keep Getting whatcha Got.

So I would Change something.

I'd lean towards Quitting. Especially if your Wife is leaning that way also.

Alot of this hits home. I think i am going to first start with a more simple setup and then experiement with flavorings and juices. I sold most of my old gear though.

Are there any attractive/grown up looking tube mods out there these days? Something i coukd sit a MTL tank on flush?

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I would check with your Dr and get a chest X-ray to see what your lungs are showing. Just my own experience after 8 yrs vaping. I could never do DL, it hurts for me. I only did MTL, about a month ago I went to MTE- mouth to exhale, I wanted to give my lungs a break. I don't miss inhaling I found out. I'm at 3 mg. I can vape and not inhale and still enjoy vaping. Plus no more worry about hurting my lungs.

That's what I do now. I'm currently only inhaling about 25% of what I used to although I vape the same amount. I can get pains when inhaling too much.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Alot of this hits home. I think i am going to first start with a more simple setup and then experiement with flavorings and juices. I sold most of my old gear though.

Are there any attractive/grown up looking tube mods out there these days? Something i coukd sit a MTL tank on flush?

Mech or regulated tube? For regulated there’s the high end Dicodes. There is the EHPro 101 tube mod if you can find it. There’s also the Nunchaku regulated tube. For mechs there’s still a ton out there. Are you using 22 or 25 mm tanks?

FWIW, based on your prior descriptions, the time might well have arrived to wean both you and your wife off nicotine and stop vaping. That’s not a bad thing, it just doesn’t sound like it’s still a good fit for you. The important thing is to not go back to cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread