Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Ok, managed to build 0.52 ohm on the radar. My narda clone with a 0.5 ohm micro coil tastes better.

Perhaps I'm building and wicking wrong.
I doubt it...for a single coil rda, you'll have trouble beating the NarDA. If you open up the holes IN THE CAP ONLY, you'll find the NarDA even better than before.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
When advice is demanded, why isn't there given any? Simply instigating fear or not telling why "Ohms matter" is just as unhelpful for someone that tries to build a dang coil as saying they don't even need to take a look at it.

I'll try my best to keep it short.

Speaking of regulated devices only (as the OP has a geekvape gbox), the following doesn't apply to mechs

Ohms matter to eliminate a short circuit. That's about it.

For vape quality, looking solely at the resistance of your build is a very bad criterion to judge. There is no reason to blanket build a dual coil to an arbitrary 0.5Ω because it has no meaning at all. I can get there with two 3 wrap kanthal a1 coils or with two 6 wrap SS coils or with 10 wrap titanium coils, just looking at the resistance won't tell you anything about the vape, those three will behave very different no matter what you do (and one of them is really stupid).
In absence of material, thickness and type of build there is no reason at all to build to a specific resistance. Even if you have those, the atomizer you use and the batteries you have determine what you can do.
For security, a 0.5Ω build is equally as safe as a 0.3Ω build or a 1.0Ω build on a regulated device, the resistance doesn't matter here either.

What matters more, for both your build and for security, is choosing the right batteries for the range of power you want to use and know the limitations. There's a big difference between a 0.15Ω staggered twisted alienated dual coil monstrosity you want to fire at 300W and a 0.15Ω single round wire titanium coil you want to use in TC with a threshold of 40W, and it's not the resistance value. There is guidance on the forum on how to choose your batteries (hopefully from a trustworthy supplier) according to your desired power range.
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
As a rule of thumb, with high drain batteries (i.e. the highest power you can get) you should plan with 40W-60W max per battery. This automatically limits what builds make any sense at all.

So when you build for a regulated device and want a coil that doesn't suck monkeyballs then make a coil with a material of your choice that fits the deck and airflow best. E.g. if that's a 32g kanthal wire in a single coil rda then you'd probably do an 8 wrap and sit at 2Ω, if it's a 26g SS316 then it's probably only a 6 wrap that sits at 0.25Ω.
Is any of those two "safer"? Does the "Ohms matter"?

For a beginner that means
-take a wire of just about any material that fits your vape mode (TC material wires for TC, VW material wires for VW), I'd recommend anywhere between 26g and 30g for a start
-make a coil that is easy to install, the space between the posts can be used as a guide, with a diameter that fills a good portion of the space
-make sure you don't have a short, check again after you put the topcap on
-set wattage (evtl + temp) according to the range given by your batteries, start low and increase until you found your sweet spot
-enjoy

On a mechanical mod that's an entirely different story as the battery is directly connected to your build and then indeed Ohms matter a lot.

Now if someone wants to explain to me why exact resistance values should matter on a regulated device then go ahead and convince me, maybe I'm forgetting about something very important, but it better be more than "muh ohms matter everything else BS".

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok, managed to build 0.52 ohm on the radar. My narda clone with a 0.5 ohm micro coil tastes better.

Perhaps I'm building and wicking wrong.

The Build and the Wicking absolutely effects the Hit you get. But the Size, Shape, Air Inlet Position, Drip Tip, etc, on a RDA plays a Huge Role also.

I have RDA's that NO MATTER what I do, they just don't give me the Hit I want. So I wouldn't be Quick to chock something up to doing your Coil or Wicking wrong.

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
managed to build 0.52 ohm on the radar
Got a pic of your build?
While I agree that the radar probably isn't a good flavor rda there may be room to improve, like adjusting your build to the available airflow options or positioning it differently.
But yeah you won't get something close to the narda experience with that, they're meant for different styles of vaping.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

fifamymaingame

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2017
Colorado
Why not use the narda for squonking?

I don't worry about ohms to much in regulated I just make sure it's in the devices lowest and highest resistances but with regulated it don't really matter don't worry about these douches this place is starting to urk me with these scrubs who put to much fear when there's no need

Reactions: Dropmyload

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Got a pic of your build?

Don't laugh, its my first ever build with my own coils. 28ga ss316 3mm 9 wraps each I think coming to 0.52 ohms Dull as a doorknob wrt flavour.
IMG_20180220_205205-01.jpeg

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Don't laugh, its my first ever build with my own coils. 28ga ss316 3mm 9 wraps each I think coming to 0.52 ohms Dull as a doorknob wrt flavour.
View attachment 723425
With that RDA you need to raise the coils up so the airflow hits the coils at 4:30. Also with the wicking cut the ends so they just hit the build deck or maybe just a tad bit longer. The airflow needs to get around the coils. Unfortunately that RDA is not for flavor at all.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
img_20180220_205205-01-jpeg.723425

Eah... I've seen a lot worse.

And once you put the Cover on, Nobody is going know one way or the other.

Looks like kinda a Lot of Cotton. Might try cutting the Tails a tad shorter. But Not Bad for a 1st Build.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
While I can approve of the aesthetics of that arc the right leg of the top coil makes I seriously doubt it will improve your vape. It won't be the main reason for lacking flavor but I'd try to always reduce leg length where you can. What tools do you use for adjusting your coils?

Apart from that you've already been given some good advice on how to improve the build slightly so I'll just shut up for now :D

fifamymaingame

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2017
Colorado
Look up the coily trimming tool can cut leg lengths perfectly equal at any mm you want

They aren't in mass produce atm but something I can't wait to get ahold of cutting legs equal is hard for me and never know what each atty needs but with this tool you can start off long and clip little by little till it's perfect!

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
While I can approve of the aesthetics of that arc the right leg of the top coil makes I seriously doubt it will improve your vape. It won't be the main reason for lacking flavor but I'd try to always reduce leg length where you can. What tools do you use for adjusting your coils?

Apart from that you've already been given some good advice on how to improve the build slightly so I'll just shut up for now :D
That arc was a wrap before it got mutilated :thumb:

I have a geekvape toolkit, usual stuff.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Why not use the narda for squonking?

I don't worry about ohms to much in regulated I just make sure it's in the devices lowest and highest resistances but with regulated it don't really matter don't worry about these douches this place is starting to urk me with these scrubs who put to much fear when there's no need
douches? scrubs? Dude....there's plenty of other places for you to slither to. A week ago, you couldn't make a mech work...now you're a vaping genius. Stop name calling and stop giving advice when you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
When advice is demanded, why isn't there given any? Simply instigating fear or not telling why "Ohms matter" is just as unhelpful for someone that tries to build a dang coil as saying they don't even need to take a look at it.

I'll try my best to keep it short.

Speaking of regulated devices only (as the OP has a geekvape gbox), the following doesn't apply to mechs

Ohms matter to eliminate a short circuit. That's about it.

For vape quality, looking solely at the resistance of your build is a very bad criterion to judge. There is no reason to blanket build a dual coil to an arbitrary 0.5Ω because it has no meaning at all. I can get there with two 3 wrap kanthal a1 coils or with two 6 wrap SS coils or with 10 wrap titanium coils, just looking at the resistance won't tell you anything about the vape, those three will behave very different no matter what you do (and one of them is really stupid).
In absence of material, thickness and type of build there is no reason at all to build to a specific resistance. Even if you have those, the atomizer you use and the batteries you have determine what you can do.
For security, a 0.5Ω build is equally as safe as a 0.3Ω build or a 1.0Ω build on a regulated device, the resistance doesn't matter here either.

What matters more, for both your build and for security, is choosing the right batteries for the range of power you want to use and know the limitations. There's a big difference between a 0.15Ω staggered twisted alienated dual coil monstrosity you want to fire at 300W and a 0.15Ω single round wire titanium coil you want to use in TC with a threshold of 40W, and it's not the resistance value. There is guidance on the forum on how to choose your batteries (hopefully from a trustworthy supplier) according to your desired power range.
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
As a rule of thumb, with high drain batteries (i.e. the highest power you can get) you should plan with 40W-60W max per battery. This automatically limits what builds make any sense at all.

So when you build for a regulated device and want a coil that doesn't suck monkeyballs then make a coil with a material of your choice that fits the deck and airflow best. E.g. if that's a 32g kanthal wire in a single coil rda then you'd probably do an 8 wrap and sit at 2Ω, if it's a 26g SS316 then it's probably only a 6 wrap that sits at 0.25Ω.
Is any of those two "safer"? Does the "Ohms matter"?

For a beginner that means
-take a wire of just about any material that fits your vape mode (TC material wires for TC, VW material wires for VW), I'd recommend anywhere between 26g and 30g for a start
-make a coil that is easy to install, the space between the posts can be used as a guide, with a diameter that fills a good portion of the space
-make sure you don't have a short, check again after you put the topcap on
-set wattage (evtl + temp) according to the range given by your batteries, start low and increase until you found your sweet spot
-enjoy

On a mechanical mod that's an entirely different story as the battery is directly connected to your build and then indeed Ohms matter a lot.

Now if someone wants to explain to me why exact resistance values should matter on a regulated device then go ahead and convince me, maybe I'm forgetting about something very important, but it better be more than "muh ohms matter everything else BS".

Bang on there buddy. Well put! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
View attachment 723425
So I “dewicked” both the narda and the radar. Wow, much better flavour, but the narda blows the radar out of the water wrt taste.

• Agree
Reactions: Asbestos4004
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread