lorann flavors what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Sorry this is in the newbie section but I don't meet the req's to post in the diy liquids or the general sections of the forum.

I just got in my shipment from loranns. I ordered 11 flavors (only one dram (3.7ml) each)

The first one I tried was Butterscotch. My liquid consisted of 20% 36mg unflavored nic., 10% butterscotch, 10% Vodka (since I dont' have any distilled water.), and 60% Glycerin.

The flavoring was extremely weak. It has a very strong smell, but when I went to taste it.... i could barely taste the flavoring.....

So I added more butterscotch (twice the amount that I put in.).

I'm using 15ml bottles to mix with.

I also figured maybe butterscotch was maybe one of the weakest flavors so I figured I would try the one flavor that everyone says is extremely strong.....

Coffee.

Basically I used the same formula as above but with coffee (10%). The flavoring is a bit better than the butterscotch but still pretty weak.

After watching Walrus's video on cayenne pepper and seeing how much coffee flavor he used in his mixture in the video... I think I may be doing something wrong since I think I used more flavoring in my liquid than he did in his video.

Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to keep adding flavoring???

Oh and I'm using a Dura-C as my PV. I also have the SD in the mail, and have been debating ordering the Janty Stick.

Thanks in advance.

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Half the fun of DIY is finding your own personal perfection I find it is always best to mix small and build up as needed... to mix too much at once and make a bad batch is a waste... now I dont mess with PG & VG or Vodka I just buy flavorless & add flavor to my tastes but even doing that I mix about 2ml at a time so if I overdoo the flavor I can always add more Flavorless Nic to tone it down if need be...

Thank you Azure!

I just tried another batch.... I chose to try strawberry. (I think I read somewhere that this had food coloring in it....? )

I made a 30%nic, 30%flavor, 40%glycerin mixture. (I started to tasted the vodka in the mixture so I just decided to throw it out of the mix all together. It takes a little longer to seep in but that's ok.)

I can taste the strawberry pretty well now.

mr. Krinkle - I had thought about getting some flavorless nic juice in various strengths but I'm hoping that I can just get down to 0 nic in a few months so it will lower the budget of vaping. However, that is a good option for someone that is planning on vaping the same strength for a while.

I have an order coming from spice barn that should arrive on friday. but I had to order larger quantities. I'm hoping I can get the hang of this and get it down to maybe one or two flavors that I enjoy all the time.

Thanks again and any further info is greatly appreciated.

fiddler

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
New York City
The LorAnn flavors do vary wildly in strength. If you want to try a super strong one, try Bavarian Creme. One drop goes a long way! Another is Key Lime.

The best coffee flavor I've found is Bickfords. However, I'm almost always sipping at a cup of coffee, so coffee flavor in my juice tends not to show up much as coffee flavor is already there in my mouth. Contrast seems to count for a lot.

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Trapped within my imagination
I know there are less expensive suppliers of PG ( if someone wants to jump in) But, I got mine from Bickford flavors (under miscellaneous)- 32oz = 17.95...Liquidxpress and JuicyLiquids also sell smaller quantities....

Some people complain that using the straight VG causes a funny taste, others say using more than 50% in your mix causes them stomach upset, others say they don't like burning the VG at higher atomizer tempts, still others will Only use VG...
I usually use about 20-25% VG in my mix to produce more vapor and add weight to the vapor..I've also heard that PG increases the throat/lung hit.. If you're not intolerant to either VG ro PG...I'd definitely get both and find what works for you...

Last edited:
I found some pg through a different link on the forums. basically asking where to buy pg and vg. I got a gallon of the stuff..... should last pretty long right??

So I guess right now I'm just crossing my fingers. I got the 5 atomizer pack from best ecig dot com, also got some 36mg from them too. (really good prices, I just hope it gets here in less than a month.)

Still trying to soak up more and more info on the SD vs the Janty Stick. elendil's review was really good but I'm going to be continuously obsessed with this until I get my SD. lol

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
a briefly mentioned tip...

mix smaller quantities :) don't try 15ml batches for testing, because you're going to waste A LOT of supplies. try a 1ml or 2ml batch.

other thing, my personal advice, don't use nic fluid when testing new flavors. the nic juice is what you pay the most for, so mix up your flavors without it in the equation first, get your percentages down and figure out if you like the taste, then work in your nic.

well, assuming you are using non-flavored nic juice :)

oh and please keep us updated on the spicebarn order. i found that site the other day and i'm way curious on how the flavors are.

oh and please keep us updated on the spicebarn order. i found that site the other day and i'm way curious on how the flavors are.

I got the spice barn flavors in today and they seem to be a little weaker than lorann's. But then again that may just be me and my senses in comparison to others. I did make a pretty mean batch of caramel / golden delicious apple and WOW is that good.

I did notice that with some companies some flavors are dark and some are not. I seem to have the best luck with the ones that aren't dark. (ie. butterscotch is almost clear with spicebarn but it's extremely dark with bickfords.) Any ideas?

So it seems to me that I just need to add more flavoring to the mixes and keep to small 1-2ml batches w/o nic juice until I get the flavors I want.

-------------

Just an update....
I got my tax return so I decided to order both the SD and the Stick. :w00t:

It seems as though it will probably be a bit redundant since it seems like the same device only different shape and one has pretty lights...... But we'll see.

lol since getting that return I've ordered everything I can think of for making my own flavors (except syringes.). I keep on ordering more parts and supplies that my wife keeps looking at the packages rolling in and finally looked at me and asked where I was expecting to keep all of these supplies..... Then she opened ebay and started looking at apothecary boxes and aromatherapy boxes. :) :) :) I love that woman!!!!! :D

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
I got the spice barn flavors in today and they seem to be a little weaker than lorann's. But then again that may just be me and my senses in comparison to others. I did make a pretty mean batch of caramel / golden delicious apple and WOW is that good.

I did notice that with some companies some flavors are dark and some are not. I seem to have the best luck with the ones that aren't dark. (ie. butterscotch is almost clear with spicebarn but it's extremely dark with bickfords.) Any ideas?

So it seems to me that I just need to add more flavoring to the mixes and keep to small 1-2ml batches w/o nic juice until I get the flavors I want.

-------------

Just an update....
I got my tax return so I decided to order both the SD and the Stick. :w00t:

It seems as though it will probably be a bit redundant since it seems like the same device only different shape and one has pretty lights...... But we'll see.

lol since getting that return I've ordered everything I can think of for making my own flavors (except syringes.). I keep on ordering more parts and supplies that my wife keeps looking at the packages rolling in and finally looked at me and asked where I was expecting to keep all of these supplies..... Then she opened ebay and started looking at apothecary boxes and aromatherapy boxes. :) :) :) I love that woman!!!!! :D

haha, well, luckily i don't share a checkbook with mine...she'd kill me. ;)

as for the dark flavors, that is still an issue that's up in the air. some of lorann's list "caramel color" as an ingredient, and a lot of folks are hesitant on using those for fear of gumming up the atomizers. i haven't tried any myself, but i'm sure i will branch out soon enough. not from experience, but just from discussion, i'd say keep those attys rinsed out if you're using darker colors, just in case they're creating more residue.

the curiosity is...if it has caramel color, it may have some residual sugars that could be crystallizing/caramelizing on the atty and causing poor performance, but none of that is really..."proven."

which flavors did you get from spicebarn?

I got
golden delicious apple - really good
caramel - weak but good
kona coffee - keep forgetting to add the cram and sugar
irish cream - weak but compliments the coffee well
butterscotch - very good but again weak
pure vanilla - extremely weak, as much as I've tried I haven't been able to taste it yet.
root beer - haven't cracked the seal yet.

all of them except for the apple, and butterscotch are dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread