Status
Not open for further replies.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
So this again, the OG Drone was delayed over and over. Disappointing
Well it sounds to me like they delayed it for a good reason.

This will save them and customers a bunch of headaches than if it were released on schedule with a weak battery door. I would much rather wait another month and feel more confident in the product.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
If this is fact, at least they have acknowledged there is a problem. Although not sure if Lexan would be a better choice of material.
If it's Lexan MR10 I've seen someone take a sledgehammer to a sheet of it on YouTube. We just don't know what grade of Lexan they're using if this is true.

Reactions: BillW50

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
If they did that, would it still be interchangeable with the Drone 166 door?

No. I mean probably. The door needs changing not the mounting plates.

You’d have a situation where the old doors would fit the new mods but the new doors wouldn’t fit the old mod.

If the lexan has absolutely zero flex it might be fine and need no changes. But if lexan can also flex it will have the same problem. The current mounting system is made for a door with zero flex.

• Informative

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
For those with a lot of patience, FT has the Drone up. It's $139 but with the current coupon (XMAS2018) it drops to $118.15. The bad news is the estimated ship date is Jan 10, which means it probably won't ship until after that. Potentially well after that.

There should also be a MAP price but it's not yet active. Three options available at present (all black, black/amber, ss/amber)

$139.00 Authentic Lost Vape Drone 200W DNA250C TC VW Squonk Box Mod - 1-200W / 2*18650 / built-in 8ml squonk bottle / PC + zinc alloy at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Actually the old door is like 90 percent of the weight.

90%?? I don’t own the original Drone, but interwebs sources claim the weight is about 275 grams sans batteries and atomizer. So the door makes up for 247 grams of that? Not a direct comparison but very similar - Triade sans battery and atomizer = 204 grams. It’s battery door = 42 grams or ~20% of the weight.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
90%?? I don’t own the original Drone, but interwebs sources claim the weight is about 275 grams sans batteries and atomizer. So the door makes up for 247 grams of that? Not a direct comparison but very similar - Triade sans battery and atomizer = 204 grams. It’s battery door = 42 grams or ~20% of the weight.
Yeah, no way it was 90%. That was pulled out of the posters rear end.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Lost Vape designed the new Drone around the original model which was designed for alloys and or metals. It is rare that you can change the bill of materials such as going from an alloy to a plastic but yet keep the same design. The 2 materials have vastly different characteristics and would dictate their own design.

Lexan fetches a higher manufacturing cost in comparison to PC. Changing the bill of materials will also require further testing and further efforts into other processes such as colour matching. More added cost which on top of their loss in investments with the original PC material could mean either a loss in profit or an added cost to the consumer. It is about damage control now, and their safest and most cost effective approach is to use the original alloy door, which is what the Drone was modeled around.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Lost Vape designed the new Drone around the original model which was designed for alloys and or metals. It is rare that you can change the bill of materials such as going from an alloy to a plastic but yet keep the same design. The 2 materials have vastly different characteristics and would dictate their own design.

Lexan fetches a higher manufacturing cost in comparison to PC. Changing the bill of materials will also require further testing and further efforts into other processes such as colour matching. More added cost which on top of their loss in investments with the original PC material could mean either a loss in profit or an added cost to the consumer. It is about damage control now, and their safest and most cost effective approach is to use the original alloy door, which is what the Drone was modeled around.
100% agree and the shop I preordered from informed me last night that there's a 2 to 3 week delay as per LV. So instead of this week he's expecting them the last week of Dec or first week of Jan, this is confirmed by what Fasttech is quoting for shipping. If they were doing a complete change of materials the delay would be much longer. The simplest and most logical fix is to use the OG door that they already have tooling for. We'll see.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
If they end up going with the OG door, I will be in line for one. I'm not sure a 1 month delay is sufficient to redo the door using lexan and have any more confidence in it's long term durability.

What would be a great situation to me is if they sold it with either the plastic or alloy door, and had the other options available as replacements. Similar to buying replacement panels for some mods. That way folks that liked the look of the plastic ones could have them, you would also have the option of going with a more solid door.

Doesn't really address the concerns with the durability of the plastic doors, but options are good. And the ability to easily purchase replacement doors if you happen to drop the mod, etc. I've seen comments here though that the plastic doors move when you squeeze the bottle, etc. Perhaps a redesign of the way it mounts is needed since it's made of plastic.

My guess is the cracks occur at the magnet mounting points because the plastic there is too thin/weak since it's recessed to be able to glue the magnets in. And any flex/force on the door is going to be transferred to that area since it's securing the door to the mod.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
100% agree and the shop I preordered from informed me last night that there's a 2 to 3 week delay as per LV. So instead of this week he's expecting them the last week of Dec or first week of Jan, this is confirmed by what Fasttech is quoting for shipping. If they were doing a complete change of materials the delay would be much longer. The simplest and most logical fix is to use the OG door that they already have tooling for. We'll see.

Not trying to squash your hopes but if they are only changing the material of the door, and not the other plastic components, then 2 to 3 weeks could be a realistic time frame. But Lexan is different than PC. It does not polish or finish the same which could mean we have a visual difference between the different materials. Given the delays and loss in investments, Lost Vape may just accept this. Or….they could change all PC over to Lexan which I would guess would take a lot longer to complete production.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Not trying to squash your hopes but if they are only changing the material of the door, and not the other plastic components, then 2 to 3 weeks could be a realistic time frame. But Lexan is different than PC. It does not polish or finish the same which could mean we have a visual difference between the different materials. Given the delays and loss in investments, Lost Vape may just accept this. Or….they could change all PC over to Lexan which I would guess would take a lot longer to complete production.
Since I ordered all black, I don't think the visual differences would be very noticeable. We won't know what they're doing until they arrive I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread