Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I've written about Amtrak in the past .. waxing nostalgic on the "City of New Orleans", which I have taken to New Orleans more than once .. I always liked Train Travel .. you had what was really a self contained Community, and, back in the old days, there was a Smoking Lounge (I don't know if it should be called a Lounge, as it was more like being inside a giant ashtray) .. but, if you were a smoker, you'd see the same folks there when you decided to light up, you'd likely have more than one cig while there, and, I would always, always, strike up a conversation with those folks .. over an 18-20 hour train trip, you'd get to know these Temporary Friends pretty well ..

A guilty pleasure, for me, would be the dining car .. where food was prepared in a small kitchen in that car .. if you were alone or with one person, you'd always get seated with another stranger or two, thus, unless you wanted to be really rude, you'd strike up a conversation as well while breaking bread with these folks .. the commonality within this "Train Community" was, er, we were all on a train and as long as it was moving, we were not getting off ..

The dining car would have white tablecloths, a small lamp, and, oddly, somehow gave you an idea of what it must be like on the Orient Express .. the rails clacking, passing Mississippi Delta towns like Yazoo City, Jackson and more .. it was quite Romantic .. harkening back to another Age, at least IMO ..

Now, Amtrak is eliminating the Dining Car as I knew it, sadly .. to go more "Airline" style, with prepared food .. purportedly, because the newer Generations are simply not interested in this type communal activity and to cut costs ..

Another Slice of Americana swirls down the drain of History ..

Back in the early '80s, I helped a girlfriend move a lot of her belongings to Roseburg, OR prior to her transferring to Japan. After driving the U-Haul to Roseburg I returned to Lemoore, CA. I rode Amtrak from Portland OR to Hanford, CA. It was really a wonderful trip especially going through the mountains in Oregon and Northern California. I had a sleeper and must admit that it was the only way to travel.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I've only made one trip on a train. Trains feel so much more luxurious than buses. If I ever have to make a trip too long to drive, I hope I remember the train. I just don't even think of it.

And, it's getting so unpleasant to fly nowadays. Maybe it's time for a rebirth of riding trains.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Per my brother's report, bus travel has gotten downright unpleasant. Train is definitely still a nice option. I was thinking about travelling to down home, and bro suggested riverboat. IMHO, more expensive than airplane, but I probably should have checked.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Per my brother's report, bus travel has gotten downright unpleasant. Train is definitely still a nice option. I was thinking about travelling to down home, and bro suggested riverboat. IMHO, more expensive than airplane, but I probably should have checked.

Don't think of it as transportation from one place to the next, but an experience. I'd think the riverboat would be pretty relaxing, almost like a vacation. We've flown so much with our daughter living out of state that I wouldn't care if I never had to get on another plane. Someday I'd like to travel via train. Unfortunately I will be flying again though to SC to visit my sister at the end of Oct.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, misfits :)

pb190925.gif

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I got up early this morning and puttered around. Felt sleepy, and went to bed again. Woke myself up yelling during a bad dream. So I can certainly relate to that cartoon.

I sleep a lot better since Tippy arrived. Unless there is a thunderstorm, in which case both of us have trouble sleeping. Last night was rough. Maybe I should crate him when a storm is predicted; but that seems selfish.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Hola .. :)

A while back, you may recall my DR's request for me to curtail the vape due to a persistent cough .. while I did adhere to his request for a while, and it seemed to help, being the nic addict that I am, I began to slowly re-introduce the PV to my routine .. attempting to curtail the chain vaping / PV glued to hand like a Phone / all waking hours .. (the fact that I use about a 6mg liquid probably encouraged the constant use) ..

At any rate, I think I may have reached somewhat of an equilibrium .. moderation seems to be working ..

Also, I've been reading Threads regarding the latest PV / Liquid clampdown Bad News .. it's quite disconcerting .. somebody claimed Massachusetts Gov did an immediate ban on all B&M sales and sent out the 5 / 0 to shut down shops .. ?? I can't hardly believe that one ..

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011

Well, Mary, I'll take a short Riverboat "excursion/day trip", but the cost of some real distance travel is crazy high .. I may as well go to Europe, since it would be cheaper ..

If anyone is ever in the STL area, there are various Mississippi River experiences .. I like the Blues Cruise (music, not Hockey players) ..

Events Archive | Gateway Arch

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Well, Mary, I'll take a short Riverboat "excursion/day trip", but the cost of some real distance travel is crazy high .. I may as well go to Europe, since it would be cheaper ..

If anyone is ever in the STL area, there are various Mississippi River experiences .. I like the Blues Cruise (music, not Hockey players) ..

Events Archive | Gateway Arch
Yep, they don't offer The departure and arrival points I want, would have to buy the whole package. And one company is offering $300 off of whatever. Three hundred itself is beyond my budget. Some day I will travel down there, and you can show me the town.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Also, I've been reading Threads regarding the latest PV / Liquid clampdown Bad News .. it's quite disconcerting .. somebody claimed Massachusetts Gov did an immediate ban on all B&M sales and sent out the 5 / 0 to shut down shops .. ?? I can't hardly believe that one ..

Sad, but true. And the Governor banned internet sales as well. Hope the shops were paying in to unemployment for their workers... Nothing quite like an "executive order" that puts a lot of people out of work.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Sad, but true. And the Governor banned internet sales as well. Hope the shops were paying in to unemployment for their workers... Nothing quite like an "executive order" that puts a lot of people out of work.

You mean the Gov actually did send out the 5 / 0 to close down shops .. ?? I could not find anything on that thru Mr/Ms Google ..

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
You mean the Gov actually did send out the 5 / 0 to close down shops .. ?? I could not find anything on that thru Mr/Ms Google ..

Hmm, couldn't, either, so that may have been conflated with the bust in Michigan, of street drugs.

But there is this:

Charlie Baker calls for 4-month vape, e-cigarette sales ban | Boston.com

from the end:
According to Baker, DPH, local health boards, and law enforcement will be charged with carrying out the ban in communities across the state.

So it's likely to happen. One MA local site did talk about one business with 8 shops stating that for them it was "business as usual", so raids will no doubt follow.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
One MA local site did talk about one business with 8 shops stating that for them it was "business as usual", so raids will no doubt follow.

Well, that seems kind of stupid to me .. if I had a Vape Shop in Mass, I'd be all "Ban .. ?? What Ban .. ?? I did not get any memo / official call or letter .. "

Or, I'd just keep my mouth shut ..

Users who are viewing this thread