Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Hola .. :)

Is the Stock Market a reflection of some truth .. ?? I don't know, but panic sure seems to be gaining a foothold .. it sounds like my usual paranoia, but the Honchos at the Big Money level tend to have more inside information than most of us .. the Deep Web is also either fueling truth and/or making it sound much more chilling than "We, the People" may be told ..

My feelings that the Chinese Government is not being fully forthcoming remains high as it relates to the coronavirus .. I can't speak to what anyone else feels, but it just looks like this thing is playing out like a B Movie script ..

I am glad to see that the CDC is finally stepping up it's game ..

CDC outlines what closing schools, businesses would look like in a pandemic

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
I will add .. it seems to me that POTUS should begin to take a more warning tone .. whether or not it's "Chicken Little" .. saying things like "A vaccine is close .." or "buy stocks now .." .. IMO, is not helpful in the least as it relates to Citizens getting prepared for a "What If ..?" type scenario ..

OK, so maybe it all goes away at some point .. but, in the meantime, let's not bury our heads in the sand and ignore what could be a serious threat ..

At the minimum, a News Conference or an Address to the Nation on TV just as a warning precaution would seem to me to be in order .. "Rest assured that we are doing all things possible with which to contain and minimize the effects of this new virus .. " ..

Am I over reacting .. ?? That's the problem .. I don't know ..

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Good afternoon everyone!

20200225_133637.jpg

20200225_133705.jpg

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Am I over reacting .. ?? That's the problem .. I don't know ..
I was in the doc's office the other day, and while there I asked the (dumb ?) question.
Are the flu shots we got this year effective in any way against the new virus.

He said no, but not to worry about this new virus , as it was nothing compared to the H1 and H2 that are out there now, and he added that this years flu shots were only 30% effective against the H1 and H2.
Those are the worst, and the number of people catching it was over the charts.
The H1 and H2 were infecting and killing more people than the new virus can even come close too ...so far !
He also noted that most of the people catching the new virus, recovered.

All I know for sure is ... stay away from crowds and buffets :blush:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Is the Stock Market a reflection of some truth .. ?? I don't know, but panic sure seems to be gaining a foothold .. it sounds like my usual paranoia, but the Honchos at the Big Money level tend to have more inside information than most of us .. the Deep Web is also either fueling truth and/or making it sound much more chilling than "We, the People" may be told ..

It's a reflection of panic, imo. Yes, there will be disruptions to lots of things, since so much is made in China. Those manufacturing short-falls will impact stores here, since at least for a while, supply will be limited. The fear is that it will continue for so long that many companies bottom line will suffer, so stock prices fall in anticipation. But who knows, there might be one of those proverbial silver linings, as it may make some companies decide to move manufacturing back here...

Apparently the fatality rate for Covid-19 is around 2 - 3 %, and mostly in places where they're running in the tens of thousands who have caught it - and while the Chinese did get a huge hospital built and running in just a couple weeks, hard to say how well equipped and trained their health care folk are, or how quickly those infected realize they have Covid 19 and not "just" a cold or flu.

Study of 72,000 COVID-19 patients finds 2.3% death rate

As Slots says, the flu in the USA has already killed more this season that Covid has in China.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
"Rest assured that we are doing all things possible with which to contain and minimize the effects of this new virus .. " ..

START RANT ! ! !

YEA - RIGHT ! ! ! Anyone remember, 1976 and the virus that was beginning at that time . . . What did the government do - NOTHING ! ! ! They said almost the same thing then, as - People were dying . . . The government continued to ignored the people and the illnesses - especially given that they believed those people deserved what was happening to them . . . :-x :censored: :evil: :-x :censored: :evil: :-x :censored: :evil:

END RANT ! ! ! :facepalm:

SO - Given who is in office and leading the fed gov now . . . Do Ya' really expect them to do the right thing or anything for that matter and actually mean it . . . Just Sayin' . . .:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
It's a reflection of panic, imo. Yes, there will be disruptions to lots of things, since so much is made in China. Those manufacturing short-falls will impact stores here, since at least for a while, supply will be limited. The fear is that it will continue for so long that many companies bottom line will suffer, so stock prices fall in anticipation. But who knows, there might be one of those proverbial silver linings, as it may make some companies decide to move manufacturing back here...

Apparently the fatality rate for Covid-19 is around 2 - 3 %, and mostly in places where they're running in the tens of thousands who have caught it - and while the Chinese did get a huge hospital built and running in just a couple weeks, hard to say how well equipped and trained their health care folk are, or how quickly those infected realize they have Covid 19 and not "just" a cold or flu.

Study of 72,000 COVID-19 patients finds 2.3% death rate

As Slots says, the flu in the USA has already killed more this season that Covid has in China.

I can't remember where I read it, but the stats on regular old flu showed a current USA death rate of .01% .. so, if that's true, then covid-19 or whatever it's being called, would be over 20x as potent .. ?? No .. ??

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
START RANT ! ! !

YEA - RIGHT ! ! ! Anyone remember, 1976 and the virus that was beginning at that time . . . What did the government do - NOTHING ! ! ! They said almost the same thing then, as - People were dying . . . The government continued to ignored the people and the illnesses - especially given that they believed those people deserved what was happening to them . . . :-x :censored: :evil: :-x :censored: :evil: :-x :censored: :evil:

END RANT ! ! ! :facepalm:

SO - Given who is in office and leading the fed gov now . . . Do Ya' really expect them to do the right thing or anything for that matter and actually mean it . . . Just Sayin' . . .:rolleyes:

Not trying to correct you, but, I thought it was the early 1980's .. I had good friends that passed .. with Gays, African-Americans, Latinos, and drug users being the primary folks, and an Administration that advocated cutting school lunch budgets and allowing condiments to count as vegetables ..

And yes, I expect them to do the right thing .. but actually doing it is, apparently, too much to ask, in too many cases ..

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Not trying to correct you, but, I thought it was the early 1980's .. I had good friends that passed .. with Gays, African-Americans, Latinos, and drug users being the primary folks, and an Administration that advocated cutting school lunch budgets and allowing condiments to count as vegetables ..

And yes, I expect them to do the right thing .. but actually doing it is, apparently, too much to ask, in too many cases ..

Actually, long story short , people were dying way before there was any discovery and/or recognition of the retrovirus - HIV or AIDS. In reality from 1970-1980 a number of somewhat common diseases (especially STD's) where infecting a number of people that were resistant to previous "normal" and accepted medications - both in Africa & USA. Approximately, around the mid 70's a number of health organizations, including more specifically the Gay Men's Heath Center in NYC (were I was also a volunteer) became extremely concerned and started to realize there was a major problem effecting too many people - so it was listed just as a "Resistant Virus Strain"/"Resistant STD". Also, at that time, since it was supposedly only infecting a certain populations the Government labeled as 4H (Homosexuals/Haitians/Hemophiliacs/H -eroin Addicts). Then there was a huge uproar, because people were being lumped together with "Undesirables". As such, while they were also still a main group of people who were still being infected - Hemophiliacs (innocent victims), H - eroin Addicts (also aka sex workers), and Haitians were removed from the classification. It was then called/listed as "GRID" - Gay-Related Immune Deficiency approximately in 1982 and also referred to as "A.I.D." - Acquired Immunodeficiency Disease.

I could go on and tell Ya' a lot more - both personally/professionally, especially since I not only lived in the heart of the Village, NYC; And - As a GAY Man - not only was I active with a number of Gay Community Activities - I went through what was happening at the time (actually stop counting the friends and acquaintances that died at 170) - However, I really think that is enough info for now . . . NOT PLEASANT MEMORIES ! ! !

Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Five years ago, after a period of dual vaping, I decided enough was enough and set my birthday, February 25th, as my quit date for smoking. On February 25th, 2015 I smoked the last two cigarettes in the pack. Today is the 5th anniversary of being totally smoke-free. I never really thought I would finally be able to put down the cigarettes. That same day, on the 26th, I found this site and became a member. Thanks to everyone on ECF for all of the support and new-found friends.

Jerry

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Five years ago, after a period of dual vaping, I decided enough was enough and set my birthday, February 25th, as my quit date for smoking. On February 25th, 2015 I smoked the last two cigarettes in the pack. Today is the 5th anniversary of being totally smoke-free. I never really thought I would finally be able to put down the cigarettes. That same day, on the 26th, I found this site and became a member. Thanks to everyone on ECF for all of the support and new-found friends.

Jerry

And many many more to come!

images

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Good morning everyone!

My PC is being a pain lately...as I am....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's old so I understand completely:D

That's one of the reasons I'm not here as much, but know that this place is my favorite place on my PC...besides desktop Euchre:D

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
About this COVID19 virus. I'm not believing much of what I've seen so far from anybody. China has been hiding a lot of info or making up stats. The news always sensationalizes everything especially if it's something new. We have a few friends who are in a panic and think they're going to die if they get it. Some people don't use common sense and need the gov't to tell them to wash their hands. And then there are all the homeless people and the health problems there. I don't see how a disease can be prevented from entering a country. Many people get the virus, think they have a cold (or are symptom free) and recover without anyone ever counting them. I'd be more worried if I was already in bad health or had a small child. We've been living and dying with the flu for a long time already. One good thing might be getting people to think about diversifying their businesses and how to function in a quarantine situation. Oh, and I just heard the president will be holding an news conference tonight so that's more info to add to the mix.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN

Jerry
    Big congrats, that is wonderful.:banana::rickroll::party:

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA

Jerry

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

HD.jpg

AND CONGRATULATIONS ON 5 YEARS!!

HD.jpg
    sf.png

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    I can't remember where I read it, but the stats on regular old flu showed a current USA death rate of .01% .. so, if that's true, then covid-19 or whatever it's being called, would be over 20x as potent .. ?? No .. ??

Yes, more potent, but in spite of "hot spots" still a lot less wide-spread. Perhaps hotter weather will reduce it, like flu. I suspect that's what the donald and the cdc hope.
    Meantime, same approach as flu, or, I suspect, any other air transmissible disease.

Jerry

Congarats.jpg
    betty.boop.6.balloons.gif
    Congarats.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread