Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Good morning. It's a lovely 57 outside going up to 70. Love this weather and then I see what's happening with Sally and am even more grateful.

Gotta make some zucchini bread today. Also need to make some suet with a bunch of cayenne added into it this time. Time to cut back one of my amaryllis and put it to sleep so maybe it'll bloom for Christmas.

7 days til Autumn
186 days til Spring

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Hola .. :)

Out of the blue, my two Hummingbirds, Ed and Trixie, showed back up on Saturday .. they then disappeared on Sunday .. and nothing this morning ..

What a surprise, after 2 days without seeing any hummers one showed up this morning. It didn't look like one of the regulars though, she just hovered around the feeder without drinking and then left. Maybe she was just passing through.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, loungers.

Been so dry here the weekly mowing was suspended. A month ago. And only a few dandelions, which usually grow despite lack of water.

We did get some "rain" overnight. So my gauge tells me. Just a tad more than a heavy dew. :(

1886705.jpg

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Morning, loungers.

Been so dry here the weekly mowing was suspended. A month ago. And only a few dandelions, which usually grow despite lack of water.

We did get some "rain" overnight. So my gauge tells me. Just a tad more than a heavy dew. :(

Hola .. :)

camel-caravan-sahara-morocco.jpg

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I generally watch 'Family Feud' after the 6:00 news .. however, lately I've been watching 'Wheel of Fortune' (which I used to watch) .. last night, the new season debuted with the Pandemic protections in place .. they even have each player holding a special cover they slip over the wheel spinning nails before spinning .. (I use nails because I really don't know what they are technically called .. the thingy a contestant grabs to spin the wheel) ..

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Florida
    Good afternoon, all!

Not much to say, but thought I'd check in anyway.......

Rain?!?! Oh yes, and a lot of it. Temps are fairly comfortable for NE Florida and we're just hanging out.

Bowling has restarted for the year, although we are using every other lane. Didn't think we were going to make it but where there's a will, there's a way! We have a great team in our Pres/V/P, Secretary......they worked things out so that we could get it all together. There are some who didn't come back this year, and hopefully, the next season will see more of them.

Serious annual gardening is over for this year, but there's still plenty to do out there, something for which I am most thankful. Keeps me active, but do have to be a bit careful with the bending.......back doesn't like that maneuver any more.

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Florida
    I can't do much bending over without getting lower back pain but I've been very lucky with it so far. It goes away quickly. My bad knee is another story but hasn't bothered me badly lately.
    If I bend too long in the garden or stand at the kitchen sink too long...it's a legitimate 'ouch'.....I wear a lot of 2"-3" wedgies when out and about, and I can keep those on all day, and most times, do just that, because they straighten out the back and prevent me from slouching. Can't wear them very well in the garden, though! :D No pain at all......very comfortable.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    Janet this time of yearthe hummers you get are those who were further north for the summer and are coming through your area on the way south. Be sure to leave your feeders up through October for the last few still traveling. It is NOT true that this will stop them from migrating and they need that extra energy because 1. Sadly some of their garden food sources may not be where they remember them from previous years and 2. They have to add about 50% of their body weight for the trip.

Gracie, I'm just starting my fall veggie garden. I planted seeds of carrots and beets (fall crops in FL) and tomatoes and more basil. The figs on my fig tree are just about ready to pick!

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Florida
    Janet this time of yearthe hummers you get are those who were further north for the summer and are coming through your area on the way south. Be sure to leave your feeders up through October for the last few still traveling. It is NOT true that this will stop them from migrating and they need that extra energy because 1. Sadly some of their garden food sources may not be where they remember them from previous years and 2. They have to add about 50% of their body weight for the trip.

Gracie, I'm just starting my fall veggie garden. I planted seeds of carrots and beets (fall crops in FL) and tomatoes and more basil. The figs on my fig tree are just about ready to pick!
    Isn't it odd that every other year, my basil did great, always had a bunch to bring in, dry and then freeze......this year......Nada.......started from seed, and then bought one plant and simply laid the pot on the soil......it rooted, then up and died.......this happened to another local friend here, also.
    Which tomatoes? Everglades, or the cooler temp ones?
    This year was not the best for veggies.......was grossly disappointed.......your red peppers were delicious but only yielded a few.......and the everglades were also delicious, but also didn't yield as much as in other years.
    Am I losing my green thumb....that was the question I posed to my man, and he poo-pooed it, but I'm having some doubts......never in my gardening years did I have this problem.

I'm going to try basil seeds now and see if the cooler temps are more in tune with their growth.......years past they did wonderful in the heat.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    We discovered a good police/mystery series from the BBC playing on Tubi…and Tubi is totally free! If you watch some episodes and like them…there are 19/5-8 episodes per season.

The stories take place in a tiny village where everyone knows everyone else's business. We are enjoying it!

Users who are viewing this thread