Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, all.

IF they get it right, we should have some relief late tomorrow, the cut-off low is supposed to be on the move. And they're actually imagining real rain along with a change in the wind direction. If only there were some way to even out the rain from the south to douse all the western fires...

Meantime, we're still fending the house bound cats off our ankles...

54027cd281b7da66091fd06c407bdeab.gif

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Thanks, @Bea-FL, I have DirecTV and there are episodes on PBS and a few more on the OWN network. I am going to check out Tubi and see what else it has to offer. Thanks for the recommendation.
YW

If you like British TV shows you might check out Britbox. We love British shows! You get a 7-day free trial and then it’s $6.99/month. But you can also subscribe through some other companies…maybe Amazon? I don’t really know because we subscribe to Britbox directly. BTW they have the whole “All creatures great and small” series!!!

Programmes A-Z | BritBox

Last edited:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Janet flyers are strictly nocturnal…probably why most people don’t know they have them. Yours probably visit the feeders too.

Back in my wildlife rehab days one of my fellow rehabbers was raising a litter of them. They were the cutest things with those huge eyes and they have the softest fur!

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Hola .. :)

Random Musing For Today ::

When I owned and ran my mid-level Concert PA and Lighting business, I always had a loan on the gear .. it's quite difficult to have the cash on hand to pay for something that costs north of 500K and I had a relatively modest system .. so, during the regular season of outdoor shows / County Fairs / Festivals, etc, I relied on the cash flow to pay that loan as well as my crew, transport costs and other expenses .. most folks that are in the Business rely on loans / lines of credit ..

It was a great life while I did it, although not very good for personal relationships .. pulling in, setting up the stage and the gear .. hearing that low level hum as things warmed up, making sure everything was as perfect as possible and running smoothly .. the rush of a Band hitting the stage and having your fingers crossed that everything would run flawlessly ..

The live entertainment Business has likely been hit as hard as any segment of the Economy .. other than isolated instances such as Sturgis, the need for this type of work has dried up, and, I suppose, rightfully so .. really, Entertainment in general, theaters, street festivals, any venue that depends upon a gathering of people ..

Yes, there are those "virtual" things, but nothing can replace the energy and joy of just plain old good live Entertainment .. more folks than most would think work not only as Entertainers, but behind-the-scenes as well .. and that goes for Joes Fleetwood Mac Tribute Band all the way up the chain .. the vast majority of these folks are not well off financially, work when they can and go from one gig to the next .. sure, the top end folks can hunker down and still do fine, but that's the exception, not the rule ..

It was hard and grueling enough when things were normal ..

I don't know if things will ever get back to the "good old days" .. the fear that has been instilled in a large portion of the Populace will cause people to hold back until they are fully and completely comfortable with gathering again in larger groups .. and, that will take time ..

We've, I think, reached a point now where we have adapted as best we can .. it's been long enough that, for most of us, our ways and habits have molded themselves to this River of the Unknown that continues to flow and is, obviously, not going away ..

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Hola .. :)

Random Musing For Today ::

When I owned and ran my mid-level Concert PA and Lighting business, I always had a loan on the gear .. it's quite difficult to have the cash on hand to pay for something that costs north of 500K and I had a relatively modest system .. so, during the regular season of outdoor shows / County Fairs / Festivals, etc, I relied on the cash flow to pay that loan as well as my crew, transport costs and other expenses .. most folks that are in the Business rely on loans / lines of credit ..

It was a great life while I did it, although not very good for personal relationships .. pulling in, setting up the stage and the gear .. hearing that low level hum as things warmed up, making sure everything was as perfect as possible and running smoothly .. the rush of a Band hitting the stage and having your fingers crossed that everything would run flawlessly ..

The live entertainment Business has likely been hit as hard as any segment of the Economy .. other than isolated instances such as Sturgis, the need for this type of work has dried up, and, I suppose, rightfully so .. really, Entertainment in general, theaters, street festivals, any venue that depends upon a gathering of people ..

Yes, there are those "virtual" things, but nothing can replace the energy and joy of just plain old good live Entertainment .. more folks than most would think work not only as Entertainers, but behind-the-scenes as well .. and that goes for Joes Fleetwood Mac Tribute Band all the way up the chain .. the vast majority of these folks are not well off financially, work when they can and go from one gig to the next .. sure, the top end folks can hunker down and still do fine, but that's the exception, not the rule ..

It was hard and grueling enough when things were normal ..

I don't know if things will ever get back to the "good old days" .. the fear that has been instilled in a large portion of the Populace will cause people to hold back until they are fully and completely comfortable with gathering again in larger groups .. and, that will take time ..

We've, I think, reached a point now where we have adapted as best we can .. it's been long enough that, for most of us, our ways and habits have molded themselves to this River of the Unknown that continues to flow and is, obviously, not going away ..
Our non-profit works concessions at our local arena and have since it opened in 2000. All 2020 concerts have been either rescheduled to Spring 2021 or later, or cancelled. We rely on the income to cover our local expenses, but it also is a means for us to fellowship and serve. My group misses the opportunities.
I cannot imagine the scope of job losses in this industry. Not only the employees of the arena, but also the food and beverage distributors, law enforcement who work overtime for security, the local union members who help setup and tear down, and the companies that provide maintenance and service to the building are all suffering. All of this income is spent in our area, supporting restaurants, businesses, and local economy.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Our non-profit works concessions at our local arena and have since it opened in 2000. All 2020 concerts have been either rescheduled to Spring 2021 or later, or cancelled. We rely on the income to cover our local expenses, but it also is a means for us to fellowship and serve. My group misses the opportunities.
I cannot imagine the scope of job losses in this industry. Not only the employees of the arena, but also the food and beverage distributors, law enforcement who work overtime for security, the local union members who help setup and tear down, and the companies that provide maintenance and service to the building are all suffering. All of this income is spent in our area, supporting restaurants, businesses, and local economy.

Yes, I think that this entire Industry has been somewhat under-appreciated since the beginning of the Pandemic .. and, you're right, there are multiple layers of folks effected .. you can even drill down and look at the Civic Organizations that do things like pancake breakfasts and what not ..

I have very fond memories of my time on the road, but these days, especially with Summer coming to a close, I miss the activities and the social interaction in a Summer of the Lost .. local fireworks shows, street festivals, County Fairs ..

It's just a slice of Americana that, hopefully, will resume when ready ..

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Good morning!

I love really old cookbooks. It’s fun to read how cooking was done but also the types of food items that used to be popular. I have a digital collection of the first cookbooks written in the 16th and 17th centuries and I thought some of you might enjoy browsing one. This one was written in 1660 and the original is in the old English which would be difficult for us to read but this version is in modern English. Enjoy!

The accomplisht cook by Robert May

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Good chilly morning! It went down to 40 here last night. Oops, didn't think that was going to happen until tomorrow so I didn't bring in a few of the plants I want to over-winter inside.

Good morning!

I love really old cookbooks. It’s fun to read how cooking was done but also the types of food items that used to be popular. I have a digital collection of the first cookbooks written in the 16th and 17th centuries and I thought some of you might enjoy browsing one. This one was written in 1660 and the original is in the old English which would be difficult for us to read but this version is in modern English. Enjoy!

The accomplisht cook by Robert May

Oh my. I don't understand half of what was written. Don't think I've ever even seen a snipe!

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Good chilly morning! It went down to 40 here last night. Oops, didn't think that was going to happen until tomorrow so I didn't bring in a few of the plants I want to over-winter inside.

Oh my. I don't understand half of what was written. Don't think I've ever even seen a snipe!
    40 here also

Users who are viewing this thread