Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

LovesButtercups

Feb 26, 2015
TN, USA
Hi, Lizards!

I don‘t have much to report…been a busy week at work, and the cold has sapped my motivation. I’m off work next week (for the most part, anyway) which is nice, but I have a lot of stuff to do. At least I can sleep a little later in the mornings, that’s always a winner in my book!

Kiki the Cat-squatch has been watching TV in my lap. She seemed to enjoy Wheel of Fortune, so at least she’s easily entertained. Tater is not impressed by much of anything on TV, so she is burrowed up in a blanket, snoring. I’m not a huge believer in reincarnation, but if it IS real, I hope I get to come back as a spoiled house cat…seems like a pretty sweet gig to me.

I hope you all have a wonderful evening! :wub:

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
The packing is still ongoing. We're packing most of the stuff except for the dishes. What's making it so complicated is we're still living here until movers come tomorrow to take whatever we need to go to our daughter's (including our bed and Mike's recliner) and then Monday the movers come to pack up whatever we didn't pack up in the rest of the house and Tuesday the trucks arrive to move it all to storage. Would been easier if we were just moving everything into a new house, but haven't found one yet. Meanwhile its just a mess.
I have had good luck with Nailtiques - formula 1 or 2, depending on how soft/brittle your nails may be. If you’ve been washing your hands a lot more often or have been using more cleaning products than usual, your nails may just be extra dry, therefore more brittle. A good cuticle oil could help, but you may not be able to see a big difference until your nails grow out a bit.

If nothing else, you could always try slathering your hands in Vaseline and covering them with an old pair of cotton socks before bed a couple times a week. I do that sometimes when my hands get super dry in the winter, and it seems to help my nails a little bit, too.
I tried the gloves but hated the feeling of sleeping with gloves on. Lotion with some liquid lanolin mixed in helps my hands tremendously, but my nails are still a mess. Yes, I've been told it's due to my thyroid too. I had the radioactive iodine treatment and now I'm low thyroid. That little gland sure does mess with your body! I'm sure you're right about having my hands in water so much does do the most damage. I was trying to avoid going back to gel manicures.
Lovesbuttercups had some wonderful suggestions. I gave up on nails a long time ago. The doctor says it is my thyroid. They must have my file flagged with something that tells them everything wrong with me is my thyroid. heehee Please let me know if you find something that helps.
So far getting gel manicures is the only way I have any nails. The down side is it's expensive and has to be done about every 2 weeks which is why I was looking for something I could do myself.
Feeling old, joining the cataract club. @Janet H - I know you were happy to have it done, how bad were your eyes (prescription lenses) and how did you cope before any new prescription? It looks like I'll have mine done in the spring (hopefully May). I had a tough time at my eye exam today, I was so frustrated that lines I used to be able to read were impossible. So, now I'm thinking about how I'm going to cope from the time of having one eye done to after the second one heals and I'm able to get a new prescription, unless I decide to spend more $ for other than monofocal lenses. It's tough because I still work, have to drive, and read lots of numbers on spreadsheets. The upside is I can do some work from home and take breaks as needed. It will be good once it's done, but it's helpful to know what to expect during the transition. thanks!
Actually, I was shocked when the doc told me I needed to have it done. Didn't know I was having problems until after the surgery. I was nervous going in for the first eye, but then couldn't wait to have the 2nd one done. Some people just pop the lens out of their glasses on the good eye until the 2nd surgery is done. Your doc can talk to you about what replacement lenses would work for you and you can choose. I have prisms in my lenses due to thyroid eye disease so I do still need to wear glasses, but the Rx is much milder. If I have to wear glasses sometimes I'd much rather just put them on my face and leave them there all the time because I know I'd be losing them all the time. The only problem I have is everything is SO bright now. Not a bad problem to have!

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Hi, Lizards!

I don‘t have much to report…been a busy week at work, and the cold has sapped my motivation. I’m off work next week (for the most part, anyway) which is nice, but I have a lot of stuff to do. At least I can sleep a little later in the mornings, that’s always a winner in my book!

Kiki the Cat-squatch has been watching TV in my lap. She seemed to enjoy Wheel of Fortune, so at least she’s easily entertained. Tater is not impressed by much of anything on TV, so she is burrowed up in a blanket, snoring. I’m not a huge believer in reincarnation, but if it IS real, I hope I get to come back as a spoiled house cat…seems like a pretty sweet gig to me.

I hope you all have a wonderful evening! :wub:
If I die and find out there really is reincarnation I'm coming back as a river otter. Those little critters sure look like they have fun! A spoiled house cat would be a great choice too or maybe even a beloved pet dog...

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I hope I get to come back as a spoiled house cat…seems like a pretty sweet gig to me.
That is a wonderful thought but I have seen the little thin, scraggly cats around a dumpster looking for food and scratching every few feet so we all know the kind of luck I have.
RatYes.gif
heehee
So far getting gel manicures is the only way I have any nails. The down side is it's expensive and has to be done about every 2 weeks which is why I was looking for something I could do myself.
That is the only time in my life I have had happy nails. I only paid for it twice but boy did I like it. Then I started reading about the light they put them under emits high uva something or the other and that was it for me. (it was more the cost though)
two cents.gif

I'd much rather just put them on my face and leave them there all the time because I know I'd be losing them all the time.
I run into that problem because of contacts. I have readers all over the place (and of course a drawer full of all colors so they can always match my outfit,heehee) but it is a bother. They have contacts with the bifocal in them but I am not sure if they are perfected enough. I know the fitting costs more and he said they have to make more adjustments to get them right. I was disappointed to learn that I was not a candidate for monovision where you use one eye for up close and the other for distance. I favor the eye I had operated on when I was five and he said it would never work for me. I can't wait til I get cataracts because he swears I will have better vision. I've never had 20/20. That and medicare is going to be wonderful.

Just with the little bit I have done around this house, I know how hard Mike and you have been working. Selling first would definitely give me more incentive. I know now that it is going to take longer than I thought. I was gung-ho at first but now it seems I am content enough to procrastinate. I am more interested in getting out than I am in cleaning out.

All your stress, fretting and exhaustion will be so worth it when you find the place that feels like home to you both. You will know when you see it. At least you are lucky enough to have somewhere to go in the interim. After seeing your other place, I am probably just as excited and impatient as you to see the new place. I just know it is going to be awesome!
Thumbs Up.gif

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I am not usually a big Thanksgiving person but I am looking forward to this year. I know that it is going to be a little sad because it will be the first time I have never had it with one of my parents. It makes me a little sad when I think about it but it helps me to think about doing something different this year.

My friend that takes me to the church on Wednesday to eat has invited me to eat with his family. It helps because I know a bunch of them. My aunt and cousin did not seem to have my enthusiasm. I had told them not to plan on me this year because I had really thought about grilling out by myself just like dad and me used to do before I started associating with my aunt 3 years ago. I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings but I am pretty determined to do what is not expected of me. Not sure that makes sense to anyone but it does to me.

It is below freezing now but it is supposed to get up to 50. To soon to tell but they say it is going to be in the 60s next week for Thanksgiving. Sheesh! I wish the weather was not fickled like yours truly. :blush:

Happy Friday to all. Hope you have a wonderful day.
DrawHeart.gif

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, all.

Still cold and dry here, another 25 heading to 40, still about 10 below normal. Well, the old normal :facepalm:

What's making it so complicated is we're still living here until movers come tomorrow to take whatever we need to go to our daughter's (including our bed and Mike's recliner) and then Monday the movers come

Hope you're far enough east that the lake effect storm doesn't botch the plans!

1668780422980.png

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Kiki the Cat-squatch has been watching TV in my lap. She seemed to enjoy Wheel of Fortune

Hola .. :)

Funny, my dog sits in my lap when I watch 'Wheel' too .. I recline in my chair, she jumps up and licks my face then looks at me with those brown eyes and mentally begs for a treat .. I keep a treat stash in the side table and generally oblige ..

She acts like she wants to try and talk, and I look at her and say 'Talk to me, Bella .. you can do it ..' .. I'll report back when she utters her first word .. o_O

Getting re-situated with a dog routine once the cold weather settled in took a little time ..

and Mike's recliner

Good to know the essentials are being given Priority One ..

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
A guy and his dog went into a bar and made a bet with the bartender.

The guy said his dog could talk and he bet the bartender 1 free drink for him if the dog could answer a question.

The bartender says okay because there's no way a dog could talk.

The guy asks the dog, "What grows on trees?" "Bark" says the dog. The bartender refuses to give him a drink and makes him ask another question.

"What's on top of a house?" asks the man. "Roof" says the dog. Once again, the bartender refuses and makes him ask another question.

"What's the best baseball player of all time?" "Ruth" The bartender makes them leave.

On the way home the dog asks, "Do you think I should have said Rodriguez?"

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies, information, and suggestions (wouldn't have thought about popping out a lens!) as I get for my cataract surgery. I realized I'm going to have to make some adjustments for the next few months. My favorite route home is a narrow, twisty backroad. Last night oncoming headlights were like spotlights, nearly blinding me. I became one of those annoying people who slowed down/hit the brakes for oncoming traffic (fortunately there wasn't anyone behind me to aggravate). I couldn't see the edge of the road as there weren't any lane lines and the dark edges were covered in leaves. It was actually scary. In the future, I'll be more empathetic if/when I'm behind someone like that. For now, I'm going to go another way home - more traffic and stop lights, but the road is well marked.

My cat doesn't seem to care what's on TV, as long as she can nap on my lap. She gives me the look when I have to get up but will often follow me wherever I go then race back to the chair to wait for me to sit down. lol.

Time to start counting down to spring!

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Well, the stuff to go to our daughters has been moved out. Now we have some room to move around in here. Our poor cats can't figure out what's going on. They know something is up. I figure it's a good enrichment for them so they don't get bored. We should do this for them more often...NOT!!!

@Uncle Willie Yes, the essentials must be moved and set up first thing! Hey, I remember Madge! I must say though that her soap didn't help my hands at all.

@DavidOck I was surprised to see our weather calling for some rain and possible flurries tonight. It only got up to 45 today, but the wind made it feel so much colder. It's going to go to 22 tonight, but I'll be in bed so I predict that I missed it. We're too far east for the lake effect, just cold air!
That is a wonderful thought but I have seen the little thin, scraggly cats around a dumpster looking for food and scratching every few feet so we all know the kind of luck I have. View attachment 985106 heehee

That is the only time in my life I have had happy nails. I only paid for it twice but boy did I like it. Then I started reading about the light they put them under emits high uva something or the other and that was it for me. (it was more the cost though) View attachment 985107

I run into that problem because of contacts. I have readers all over the place (and of course a drawer full of all colors so they can always match my outfit,heehee) but it is a bother. They have contacts with the bifocal in them but I am not sure if they are perfected enough. I know the fitting costs more and he said they have to make more adjustments to get them right. I was disappointed to learn that I was not a candidate for monovision where you use one eye for up close and the other for distance. I favor the eye I had operated on when I was five and he said it would never work for me. I can't wait til I get cataracts because he swears I will have better vision. I've never had 20/20. That and medicare is going to be wonderful.

Just with the little bit I have done around this house, I know how hard Mike and you have been working. Selling first would definitely give me more incentive. I know now that it is going to take longer than I thought. I was gung-ho at first but now it seems I am content enough to procrastinate. I am more interested in getting out than I am in cleaning out.

All your stress, fretting and exhaustion will be so worth it when you find the place that feels like home to you both. You will know when you see it. At least you are lucky enough to have somewhere to go in the interim. After seeing your other place, I am probably just as excited and impatient as you to see the new place. I just know it is going to be awesome! View attachment 985109
You've got the time, just tackle one bit at a time and eventually it'll all be done. OR you could pack up what you want to keep and call in an auctioneer to get rid of the rest!

A great kitchen is a must for me and a shop area is a must for Mike. I can't believe some of the kitchens that are in otherwise lovely homes. Our old pop-up camper had more counter space! And what's with the stove tops on the island in the middle of the kitchen with stools lined up to eat there? Spattered grease anyone? Or that's where the kitchen sink is. Same set-up with the stools. Would you mind scraping those dishes off while you eat? Sheesh!

Yes, we're SO lucky to be able to move in with our daughter and she and hubby and the boys are very excited about it! We think it's going to work out just fine and I will no longer expect her to call me in the middle of my naps!

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies, information, and suggestions (wouldn't have thought about popping out a lens!) as I get for my cataract surgery. I realized I'm going to have to make some adjustments for the next few months. My favorite route home is a narrow, twisty backroad. Last night oncoming headlights were like spotlights, nearly blinding me. I became one of those annoying people who slowed down/hit the brakes for oncoming traffic (fortunately there wasn't anyone behind me to aggravate). I couldn't see the edge of the road as there weren't any lane lines and the dark edges were covered in leaves. It was actually scary. In the future, I'll be more empathetic if/when I'm behind someone like that. For now, I'm going to go another way home - more traffic and stop lights, but the road is well marked.
I used to react one way or another when the driver of a vehicle in front of me is annoying or worse, doing something dangerous. For a long time now I keep in mind that I have no idea what that driver is going through. Maybe they're a flat out jerk in which case I don't want any part of it and just move over and let them get out of my way. Other times I wonder if they're distracted, fearful or really upset. At the very least they're keeping me from getting a speeding ticket. I think you were very smart to choose another route.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Good morning. It's a chilly 23 degrees this morning.

So, today is the day we transport our 2 cats to our daughter's house. I've told "the girls" that we're going to live with Izzy (sweet old dog) and they're not at all sure about that. I'm sure they'll make out fine. Lots of exploring to do to keep them from being bored. Our bed is there and we're taking their snuggly blankets and cozies so there are familiar things to help them adjust. Wish us luck!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, loungers, and it looks to be a lounge day. 21 atm, likely 20 before sunrise, and heading back to 40...

@DavidOck I was surprised to see our weather calling for some rain and possible flurries tonight. It only got up to 45 today, but the wind made it feel so much colder. It's going to go to 22 tonight, but I'll be in bed so I predict that I missed it. We're too far east for the lake effect, just cold air!

Wasn't sure how far east you were, good you don't have to move in the snow!

1668867886526.png

Users who are viewing this thread