• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Lounging By The Beach - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
I wonder what Tink is up to. Oh - it's cold there too!

grumpycatparka_zpsd2610ca9.jpg

jj, did you see that pileup on 94?

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Lisa I haven't heard about the pile up. Maybe it will be on the news later. Big doesn't sound so good. :(

Hi Sea. Glad you got to drop in and enjoy company.

12-15 semis and all the cars in between...........plus those behind, just west of Michigan City. You know the snow by the lake: there was a whiteout. You wouldn't believe the footage. It made my stomach turn.

On a lighter note, a day off from shoveling snow. Tomorrow:

catshovelingsnow_zps9d5b068a.gif

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Lisa, I'll have to backread to see how the weather is doing for you. I heard on the news a day or so ago, that Chicago was really getting a brutal beating this year. So sorry for you, jj and glam.

January is almost over ... only 2 more mos. til things may get better (hopefully). Then you can get back outside.

kangaroo-beach-run-australia-jog-13425598820.gif

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
What got you started working on computers?

These jobs were for a company that did offshore oilrig support. Most of what I did was maintaining electronics, like calibrating smoke detectors, gas detectors, intercoms, and building custom-order control panels for the oilrigs (designed by Engineers there). I had a resume in with Litton Data Systems in NOLA, and they called me a year to the day later. I interviewed on Friday, liked them, they liked me, and they make me an offer. I put in my 2-week notice on Monday, and they didn't want it. I was working at Litton on Wednesday.

This (Litton) is the job you may have seen me talk about where I worked with a team of Electrical Engineers, designing computer control systems for Gov't/Military applications. We used the same CPU that was in the first PC to come out, so a PC was very familiar to me - hardware-wise. I had to learn DOS, then Windows. Litton closed after I had been there for 4 years, so I went to college. I graduated during a Clinton hiring freeze, and couldn't buy a job - not even with my Engineer friends' help. I moved here for a relatioship, where there's even less technical work, so I started repairing PCs out of my home.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Sea I always am glad to see Feb because it's a short month and then mood gets a lot better in March because it's in the countdown!!

Lisa enjoy! Unfortunately we got more coming. At least it will be warmer!

I'm not sure if I want to see the news now. I so hate to think of all those people. Hurt and out in the cold too. :(

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Sea I always am glad to see Feb because it's a short month and then mood gets a lot better in March because it's in the countdown!!

Lisa enjoy! Unfortunately we got more coming. At least it will be warmer!

I'm not sure if I want to see the news now. I so hate to think of all those people. Hurt and out in the cold too. :(

Yeah, I know jj ... it got down to 39 here last night. The days are still in the 70's ... but I kid you not, we are not happy about it! Yes, we don't like the cold but we are in SEVERE drought danger. We're going to have to ration water this year. I was going to plant a good sized garden and plant berries all around my fence perimeter so they could climb my 5-foot fence for support, but now I'm stalling. I'm still picking tomatoes off the vines, but now I think I'll scrap the rest and start some new ones.

Going to grab a friend of mine and pick his brain about indoor hydroponics since they recycle the water.

I feel sorry for all those people in the car pile-up, b/c then they had to get out in that storm besides the damage to their cars.:(

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Yeah, I know jj ... it got down to 39 here last night. The days are still in the 70's ... but I kid you not, we are not happy about it! Yes, we don't like the cold but we are in SEVERE drought danger. We're going to have to ration water this year. I was going to plant a good sized garden and plant berries all around my fence perimeter so they could climb my 5-foot fence for support, but now I'm stalling. I'm still picking tomatoes off the vines, but now I think I'll scrap the rest and start some new ones.

Going to grab a friend of mine and pick his brain about indoor hydroponics since they recycle the water.

I feel sorry for all those people in the car pile-up, b/c then they had to get out in that storm besides the damage to their cars.:(

If they are restricting water use, I'd put if off. We are still coming out of a drought. Never had water restrictions though. We are luckier than most places around us because they have been on restrictions.

Bye and have fun with friend.

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Sea, I've had an interest in the water issue out there for many years. I just loaned a book - "Dead Pool" - to a friend that was here this week. It addresses a lot of the same issues as "Cadillac Desert", which you may have read or heard of. You know I've always planned to end up in SD but in the last few years I've been rethinking it. I'm concerned about water issues. It truly is on the brink of disaster - with or without global warming models.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Think I'll head into lurk mode.

If I don't make it back good night VG, Lisa, and all beachers. :) :wub:

VG I will be back later to close this one and leave the link here and will open the other one for post.

11 or 12? Your choice.

I'd like to make the closing post, if that's OK with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread