Lurking?? How to find a home within all the forums and threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I find myself lurking on so many different forums and threads, watching all the cool conversations and learning tons of information, but I feel like I'm intruding on a lot of them:unsure:. I venture to post in a few and then wait for that homey belonging feeling and...yeah it just not clicking. Sometimes just feel 2 noobie to post on a lot of things and just let the vets answer the questions or give the advise. I love it here and not complaining at all. Just wondering if anyone else feels that way, and if so, how do we find our place? If not I'm happy to lurk and post here and there.

I feel that way all the time. I've been here...and trying to post a lot...since August, and I still haven't found a place to roost! So I flit somewhat aimlessly from the "General e-cig" to "new members" to "APV discussions", and wistfully hope something will "click". I've tried starting a few threads, but while I do get some response, I don't seem to be able to inspire any real conversation. I felt pretty happy in the Ovale v8 discussion for awhile, met some great people and had fun talking about my V8. But the the vendor for it stopped carrying it and the thread drifted into oblivion. I chatted it up in the smok telescope thread awhile...but that drifted away too. Same thing with the VV Gripper. Now I'm in love my my Vmod...but can't find any viable threads about it or people to talk to about it (I know people love the things...but they don't seem to be posting here for some reason).

Sigh. So I just kind of hang out and greet the new people, and read some of the stuff here and there and comment here and there. But haven't really gotten into a thread that "clicked" for me in quite awhile now. Starting to drift away myself, I'm afraid.....

Ryan1888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
Glasgow
I would just like to add that I have found ECF to be one of the nicest and friendliest forums I have ever had the pleasure of being part of.
I lurked this forum for a good 3 months prior to joining due to fearing backlash for some uneducated posts that I may have posted. It has been quite the opposite - everyone is super friendly and I can say that I have grown exponentially in terms of a vaper because of this wonderful site.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
You've made a good start :)
The more you post, the more visible you become. That gives the rest of us a better chance of getting to know YOU. As you become more recognizable, the more chance there is to make those connections with others most of us need.

Just bite the bullet, so to speak, jump into conversations. If you don't, how are we supposed to get to know you better? ;)
I love recognizing names and the personalities.

It's your right to let us get to know you better. If when I see you around the forum, I will give you a shout out (it may take a few postings on your part for me to remember you though.....old age and all wrecking havoc on my memory...so be sure to post often!) make sure you give me one too!

I like to think I'm recognized, human nature and all that stuff :blush:

Stormy1960

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I feel weird when I see my name down the line as the last one to post on threads, but I keep odd hours. I am gone for a while, then back full steam ahead when I get a free moment. There seems to be a mix of people on here who are content with what they have vaping wise, and some who look for something new. The conversations are entertaining and educational!

I know what you mean the ones who are always looking for the next thing and then the content ones. I am in the middle.

Worzel

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
I learned to look at my "likes" to see where I am welcome! I check my "likes received" page (my profile) and click on my quote to zip myself to that conversation without having to find the thread, and I can see where the conversation is going. I have been on a forum that is soooooo cliquish, catty, just downright mean, I want to delete myself! This forum is by far the best with it's no flaming policy, and no pron pop ups! I feel like part of a REAL revolution! Part of a greater good!

Stormy1960

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Same here!! :) I figure if I keep poking my head in, eventually I'll feel comfortable. What helped me was finding a thread about my favorite juice vendor....posting there has helped with newbie-itis a lot.

I love it...newbie-itis!! I knew there was a name for my condition. Lol

Stormy1960

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I hope you feel welcome there is no reason not to join in, it's not private so all are welcome. Most folks here seem really nice to me. As you well know there are always gonna be somebody negative too so if you run into anyone like that just ignore them and keep on talking, asking and learning. I used to be shy to but as I get older I learn more and more to just do what I want, while still being considerate of others, and enjoy life! :toast::toast:

Everyone has been wonderful to me and I have always felt welcome...even when I asked what I thought was a stupid question, they just sweetly guide me in the direction I need to go. That was never an issue...more just trying to find a home base I guess..if there is such a thing. I figured I could find out with this thread.:unsure:

Stormy1960

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I have to say that I've been on numerous different message boards for different purposes, and this one is the most welcoming to newbies, and least cliquish. It's great :)

also, I'd post a lot more, if I wasn't stuck using my ipad to get here. Last month my computer went blue, and I haven't gotten around to fix it.

I post in quite a few places, but just kinda of scattered around alot.

Stormy1960

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I feel that way all the time. I've been here...and trying to post a lot...since August, and I still haven't found a place to roost! So I flit somewhat aimlessly from the "General e-cig" to "new members" to "APV discussions", and wistfully hope something will "click". I've tried starting a few threads, but while I do get some response, I don't seem to be able to inspire any real conversation. I felt pretty happy in the Ovale V8 discussion for awhile, met some great people and had fun talking about my V8. But the the vendor for it stopped carrying it and the thread drifted into oblivion. I chatted it up in the Smok telescope thread awhile...but that drifted away too. Same thing with the VV Gripper. Now I'm in love my my Vmod...but can't find any viable threads about it or people to talk to about it (I know people love the things...but they don't seem to be posting here for some reason).

Sigh. So I just kind of hang out and greet the new people, and read some of the stuff here and there and comment here and there. But haven't really gotten into a thread that "clicked" for me in quite awhile now. Starting to drift away myself, I'm afraid.....

Why don't some of us here try to start something up?? I was hoping that others were looking for a home and we could create one maybe...somewhere we can come to roost when we finishing lurking for the day. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread