Lurking?? How to find a home within all the forums and threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormy1960

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Lubbock, TX
I would just like to add that I have found ECF to be one of the nicest and friendliest forums I have ever had the pleasure of being part of.
I lurked this forum for a good 3 months prior to joining due to fearing backlash for some uneducated posts that I may have posted. It has been quite the opposite - everyone is super friendly and I can say that I have grown exponentially in terms of a vaper because of this wonderful site.

Very well said and I couldn't agree more!!! I would still be on analogs without it.

Stormy1960

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Lubbock, TX
You've made a good start :)
The more you post, the more visible you become. That gives the rest of us a better chance of getting to know YOU. As you become more recognizable, the more chance there is to make those connections with others most of us need.

Just bite the bullet, so to speak, jump into conversations. If you don't, how are we supposed to get to know you better? ;)
I love recognizing names and the personalities.

It's your right to let us get to know you better. If when I see you around the forum, I will give you a shout out (it may take a few postings on your part for me to remember you though.....old age and all wrecking havoc on my memory...so be sure to post often!) make sure you give me one too!

I like to think I'm recognized, human nature and all that stuff :blush:

I am biting that bullet..lol I started a thread..only my 2nd, but I did it! YAY

tippyclubb

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2011
Michigan
I find myself lurking on so many different forums and threads, watching all the cool conversations and learning tons of information, but I feel like I'm intruding on a lot of them:unsure:. I venture to post in a few and then wait for that homey belonging feeling and...yeah it just not clicking. Sometimes just feel 2 noobie to post on a lot of things and just let the vets answer the questions or give the advise. I love it here and not complaining at all. Just wondering if anyone else feels that way, and if so, how do we find our place? If not I'm happy to lurk and post here and there.

Stormy this is a great thread you started as I have often felt the same way myself. I'm not really a noobie but feel I don't have alot of information to add seeing as there are so many people on the forum much more knowledgeable than I am. On several occasions I have started thread with little or no response so I gave up on that.

If you ever run across any vaping meets in your area please do attend them. I have been to several in Michigan and it really does help in feeling connected to the vaping community. They are fun and you will surly make a few buddies attending meets. Perhaps you should go to location specific area of Texas on the forum and put together a meet yourself. I did that once about a year ago and 23 people showed up and we had a ball.

fourthrok I have seen your posts in the Vmod section but didn't reply because I had no useful information to add. Like you, I love my Vmod and have two of them and love to talk about them. I check the Vmod section often and if I see another post from you I will make sure to have a conversation with you!

Worzel

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
Sometimes it rubs me the wrong way when a vet jumps on with "mine's better than yours" but I learn from them too! So I don't do (off brand) carts anymore, I do (name brand) carts now, thanks to the vet! I prefer mechanical to VV. I may not look into a Provari, but I drool over IHibrid or GG. I don't need all that though. I was a pack a day light/ultra light smoker, 5'2, 120 lbs. I don't need something the size of the Sears Tower, but I would like to get more tank or atty for my buck!

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
fourthrok I have seen your posts in the Vmod section but didn't reply because I had no useful information to add. Like you, I love my Vmod and have two of them and love to talk about them. I check the Vmod section often and if I see another post from you I will make sure to have a conversation with you!

Okay..you got a deal. I started a thread for us to talk about the VMOD! Let's do this here thing! And everyone else...come check it out. Everyone welcome! :w00t:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Good morning (my morning)!

Writing as someone who has over 5,000 posts, I'm going to rawr for a while.
cheetah_icon_by_topazdragon19-d35u537.gif

A high post count doesn't necessarily mean the person is more knowledgeable - except in how to play on forums. I would wager that, like me, high posters have spent a lot of time on other forums, perhaps all the way back to AOL chat rooms; I used to live in one. I've been on other nice forums; I was a mod on a very nice forum (but it by was invitation only); I've been in what could be called "mean" forums, but when you look at those sorts of forums closely, there are usually only a few mean people and for the most part, they aren't very bright.

A high post count doesn't make a person more credible either. There are people who share their experiences, tell you how they got to where they are and will explain how to get there if you want to go there too. The other extreme are people who insist where they are is the only place to be and if you aren't there, you are wrong - these people are expressing beliefs. On some level, there is an emotional attachment to beliefs and not even facts can dissuade them. Most people fall in the middle. This is true in life as well as forums.

My experiences are never wrong. They are mine, they happened to me. What you have experienced is never wrong either. Technical information I pass on tends to be correct, because I used to make my living in research, I Google fanatically and am a trivia junkie. I also have a learning disability, so I have to look up almost every word I use because I can say it, but can't spell it or read it. (copying & pasting into Google is a wonderful thing). That aside, my information may not always be correct. Neither is information posted by other people. I don't mind being corrected by someone expressing a different opinion if it is based on their experience, based on fact, or even based on a belief, if it is presented as a belief and not a fact.

Here's a tip: if you are wrong, admit it. Apologize if appropriate. If someone tries to engage you in an argument, roll over and play dead. Nothing ends a potential argument faster than unresponsiveness. People who want to argue are most often defending a belief. They want to win even if there is no right or wrong to the topic. If someone you don't agree with "owns" a thread, don't play there.

What does a high post count mean? It means I have more time to spend on the computer than you do. It means I like to write. I am also not emotionally involved with what I write, so I'm not intimidated. I don't care if someone dismisses my experiences or is filled with glee when they can point out that I'm wrong. Most people don't do that, to me or anyone else, but for the one's who do, I'm one dead ocelot.

There are thousands of threads on ECF where you can play. If you have something to add, even if it's a snarky comment (but not mean spirited), post away. It can be fun. Read the "Lazer" thread in the New Members section and see what can happen when one remark skews the direction of a whole thread. In my defense, I wouldn't have been snarky to the guy except he had started 4 other pointless threads just to get his 5 posts in.

I cruise forums about topics I'm interested in learning about and topics that I have experience with. You won't see me post on something like a Darwin thread, except to ask a relevant question. I have no business bothering them. When you cruise threads looking for topics you are interested in, you often run into the same people. You become "friends" because you have the same interests and engage them in conversation.

Other good places to play are suppliers' threads. They are technically for people who are fans of a product, but often diverge into people who like to talk about a product, but also like talking to each other. They are friendly. They will be nice to you. Entering contests is another way of meeting people.

Bottom line: I have 5,000 posts. I have been vaping for almost 8 months. Someone else may have 6 posts and been vaping for 2 years. I have never tried a Kanger T3 or an EVOD, so if you've vaped one of those for 5 minutes, you are an expert compared to me. My opinionated opinion is that this should be fun. It's okay to be nervous, but don't let that stop you from trying to catch the ball when it's thrown in your direction.

Stormy1960

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Good morning (my morning)!

Writing as someone who has over 5,000 posts, I'm going to rawr for a while.
cheetah_icon_by_topazdragon19-d35u537.gif

A high post count doesn't necessarily mean the person is more knowledgeable - except in how to play on forums. I would wager that, like me, high posters have spent a lot of time on other forums, perhaps all the way back to AOL chat rooms; I used to live in one. I've been on other nice forums; I was a mod on a very nice forum (but it by was invitation only); I've been in what could be called "mean" forums, but when you look at those sorts of forums closely, there are usually only a few mean people and for the most part, they aren't very bright.

A high post count doesn't make a person more credible either. There are people who share their experiences, tell you how they got to where they are and will explain how to get there if you want to go there too. The other extreme are people who insist where they are is the only place to be and if you aren't there, you are wrong - these people are expressing beliefs. On some level, there is an emotional attachment to beliefs and not even facts can dissuade them. Most people fall in the middle. This is true in life as well as forums.

My experiences are never wrong. They are mine, they happened to me. What you have experienced is never wrong either. Technical information I pass on tends to be correct, because I used to make my living in research, I Google fanatically and am a trivia junkie. I also have a learning disability, so I have to look up almost every word I use because I can say it, but can't spell it or read it. (copying & pasting into Google is a wonderful thing). That aside, my information may not always be correct. Neither is information posted by other people. I don't mind being corrected by someone expressing a different opinion if it is based on their experience, based on fact, or even based on a belief, if it is presented as a belief and not a fact.

Here's a tip: if you are wrong, admit it. Apologize if appropriate. If someone tries to engage you in an argument, roll over and play dead. Nothing ends a potential argument faster than unresponsiveness. People who want to argue are most often defending a belief. They want to win even if there is no right or wrong to the topic. If someone you don't agree with "owns" a thread, don't play there.

What does a high post count mean? It means I have more time to spend on the computer than you do. It means I like to write. I am also not emotionally involved with what I write, so I'm not intimidated. I don't care if someone dismisses my experiences or is filled with glee when they can point out that I'm wrong. Most people don't do that, to me or anyone else, but for the one's who do, I'm one dead ocelot.

There are thousands of threads on ECF where you can play. If you have something to add, even if it's a snarky comment (but not mean spirited), post away. It can be fun. Read the "Lazer" thread in the New Members section and see what can happen when one remark skews the direction of a whole thread. In my defense, I wouldn't have been snarky to the guy except he had started 4 other pointless threads just to get his 5 posts in.

I cruise forums about topics I'm interested in learning about and topics that I have experience with. You won't see me post on something like a Darwin thread, except to ask a relevant question. I have no business bothering them. When you cruise threads looking for topics you are interested in, you often run into the same people. You become "friends" because you have the same interests and engage them in conversation.

Other good places to play are suppliers' threads. They are technically for people who are fans of a product, but often diverge into people who like to talk about a product, but also like talking to each other. They are friendly. They will be nice to you. Entering contests is another way of meeting people.

Bottom line: I have 5,000 posts. I have been vaping for almost 8 months. Someone else may have 6 posts and been vaping for 2 years. I have never tried a Kanger T3 or an EVOD, so if you've vaped one of those for 5 minutes, you are an expert compared to me. My opinionated opinion is that this should be fun. It's okay to be nervous, but don't let that stop you from trying to catch the ball when it's thrown in your direction.

Yep, this is the first time I have ever been on a forum, although I do have a facebook that I started recently, so I understand what your saying. No one has ever said anything even remotely mean to me or been anything but helpful to me on this forum so I can't really relate to that. Haven't had to roll over and play dead yet! lol Lots of great info and I love your sense of humor!

GaMntGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
North Georgia
Stormy1960 I feel the same way. I read from May to October when I joined. I post and get few replies if any. I mostly read DIY and a few supplier threads.I DIY Vg only-get itchy with moe pg than is in my flavors. I do recognize quite a few names that are posting here. Maybe this could be a home for all of us :) I'm currently vaping DIY piña colada on my 650 mah ego with a J tank I have a 510 for backup. Had 2 but hubby stole it and dropped it thru the hand break on the car. I've tried to get vapers in the greater area together but no one wants to drive. Only 1 other vaper on here that I know of locally and I met him?her this morning.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Ocelot, I spent a boatload of time on AOL (met my hubby in a chat room :wub:). Thirtysomething1 was the room of choice. Man that was the good old days!

Stormy, like the oh so wise Ocelot said, the supplier threads do have a lot of socializing going on. Most of my high post count is because of the HHV thread. Other than my years on AOL, this is the only forum I've been a member of. I love this place! Just keep doing what you're doing, you will be just fine ;)

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Ocelot, I spent a boatload of time on AOL (met my hubby in a chat room :wub:). Thirtysomething1 was the room of choice. Man that was the good old days!

I miss it. I still have a friend from my old room (TransAtlantic) who flew out twice to visit me. I'm still on the email list of another fellow who tried to get a reunion going, but I don't have AOL anymore and refuse to download their software. I didn't realize how proprietary they are until I canceled my account when broadband became available in my area. I had to buy a program specifically written to help one escape AOL to get access to my own files.

ETA: I used to have a wav of Mick Jagger saying "You've got mail luv."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread