Maybe the FDA Can Semi-Objectively Regulate E-Cigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas002

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2018
Omaha NE
Ok, I know most readers are already starting to read this thinking "no way" after reading the title but yesterday there was some evidence that maybe they are data-driven and possibly even a little rational and politically agnostic! They approved the first cannabidiol based drug ever - Epidiolex for epilepsy. It was a unanimous vote by the FDA advisory council of 13-0 which is encouraging. This might be a glimpse into how the process going forward to regulate e-cigs, and other products, may be less restrictive than we think. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic but that's just me.
:banana:
[a gif of me getting burned by a flamethrower goes here]
:pop:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
And I found out that Santa Claus is real!

Sure, we can hope for evidenced based scientific decisions to be made. After all, that really is the task for an agency like the FDA. But lobbyists and politicians undermined that principle decades ago. I don't blame the agency itself. I do blame the outside influences for corrupting that principle.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Cannibanoid meds have been around for ever. I think they're schedule 3, or they were the last time I checked. Marinol is covered by SOME insurance plans, not all, and has been for some time.

Most Cannibanoid meds are considered "okay" even by Federal Government employers, if there's a good reason for using them. There is a specific marker (either present or absent) compared to the real stuff, if it's prescribed by your doc, drug testing labs can discriminate between those medicines, vs the real stuff. I know all this because mah kiddo has terrible inflammatory diseases, and it's pretty much the only thing that worked for him. We went that route before the cost defeated me and I became his adult "caregiver" until he came of age.

I will say, the cannibanoid medications work, with less of a psychoactive affect (IMO). I am happy to hear that another is available as not everyone wants to, you know, take the other approach.

I'm not sure it has much to do with vaping, other than perhaps a slight hope that vaping will be treated a bit more kindly, there was a good article posted on here a couple days ago, might've been the deeming thread, that the FDA was not going to ask for any data readings coils on the market for now, but potentially other hardware too, here's hoping :)

Anna

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Cannibanoid meds have been around for ever. I think they're schedule 3, or they were the last time I checked. Marinol is covered by SOME insurance plans, not all, and has been for some time.

Most Cannibanoid meds are considered "okay" even by Federal Government employers, if there's a good reason for using them. There is a specific marker (either present or absent) compared to the real stuff, if it's prescribed by your doc, drug testing labs can discriminate between those medicines, vs the real stuff. I know all this because mah kiddo has terrible inflammatory diseases, and it's pretty much the only thing that worked for him. We went that route before the cost defeated me and I became his adult "caregiver" until he came of age.

I will say, the cannibanoid medications work, with less of a psychoactive affect (IMO). I am happy to hear that another is available as not everyone wants to, you know, take the other approach.

I'm not sure it has much to do with vaping, other than perhaps a slight hope that vaping will be treated a bit more kindly, there was a good article posted on here a couple days ago, might've been the deeming thread, that the FDA was not going to ask for any data readings coils on the market for now, but potentially other hardware too, here's hoping :)

Anna
I have a license for the stuff that you roll. It's very expensive. But it sure works for my ailments.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Governments regulation is NEVER objective..... it ONLY enables the BIGGER companies in an industry survive.... Ie Philip Morris and China will do better after regulation than any custom mod builders or Vape sellers or customers.

There is a reason Facebook and silicon valley is OK with regulation of its industry..... regulation ELIMINATES competition.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yep my thoughts may be: lets let a few more cannibanoid meds on the market (super expensive) and then outlaw the rest. Only, cannibanoid medications have VAST differences between the organic whole, not to mention, then we are "paying" the pharma folk instead of the burgeoning OTHER market, which at least around here has generated SO MANY jobs. IDK. I hope I'm being dire, but I know, almost as a fact, that the president has been toting "pharma improvements" around for a while, and we know Sessions hates everything that can fix you (even if it truly does) if ONE person can locate enjoyment in it.

Also, good luck finding a doc to prescribe that sort of stuff. I was lucky enough to encounter one for my kid, but fortune sent a Vaping PCP my way (both things) and he apparently gives less than a rat's rear about whether he's going to be scolded for prescribing schedule III medications. They're a weird bunch of meds to prescribe with some legal hurdles. I'm going to imagine it would be hard to find a doc willing to prescribe Marinol off label for anything other than severe wasting caused by cancer or by AIDS. That is the only thing it is "technically" approved for, and prescribing schedule III off label is the type of thing that makes most docs pretend they've never heard of it, (even if they have) rather than prescribing it.

I guess we will see. Etc.

Anna

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Yep my thoughts may be: lets let a few more cannibanoid meds on the market (super expensive) and then outlaw the rest. Only, cannibanoid medications have VAST differences between the organic whole, not to mention, then we are "paying" the pharma folk instead of the burgeoning OTHER market, which at least around here has generated SO MANY jobs. IDK. I hope I'm being dire, but I know, almost as a fact, that the president has been toting "pharma improvements" around for a while, and we know Sessions hates everything that can fix you (even if it truly does) if ONE person can locate enjoyment in it.

Also, good luck finding a doc to prescribe that sort of stuff. I was lucky enough to encounter one for my kid, but fortune sent a Vaping PCP my way (both things) and he apparently gives less than a rat's rear about whether he's going to be scolded for prescribing schedule III medications. They're a weird bunch of meds to prescribe with some legal hurdles. I'm going to imagine it would be hard to find a doc willing to prescribe Marinol off label for anything other than severe wasting caused by cancer or by AIDS. That is the only thing it is "technically" approved for, and prescribing schedule III off label is the type of thing that makes most docs pretend they've never heard of it, (even if they have) rather than prescribing it.

I guess we will see. Etc.

Anna
I wish the president would fire that guy. I seen you called the thingy organic very crafty. I had to be examined by a special doctor. Without that recommendation it's not happening..

Reactions: stols001

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I agree but I would add that for every successful "corruptor" there must be a willing "corruptee". To pervert this process, it will take two morally compromised people.
And I found out that Santa Claus is real!

Sure, we can hope for evidenced based scientific decisions to be made. After all, that really is the task for an agency like the FDA. But lobbyists and politicians undermined that principle decades ago. I don't blame the agency itself. I do blame the outside influences for corrupting that principle.

• Agree
Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread