Mech vs Mech Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Thanks for mentioning it. I'm definitely on the look out for something, as I find the Dimitri to be a bit bulky in my hand, and I don't like the top button (thought I would, but its more awkward then anticipated). Part of me is thinking 20 bucks for a Nikita clone that needs minor adjustments (I run .14-.2 ohm when in parallel, .2+ for single tube mechs), thats not bad, but I am also very risk adverse and those flimsy strips look to be an issue.

I am seriously considering picking up a Tirador from a local B&M when they get them in stock.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I will report back on my feelings about my ordered versions of castigador and abaddon when gotten(and another nikita). Second, after some talk with a FT reviewer(JessVapin), which also loves his nikita, I'm currently interested in the dos-equis from FT, either the cheapest or the most expensive(both brass). Jess got both and they are both great with thicker plates(and one he knows runs 0.15 all the time without issue), and the cheaper is just a little less "well-machined" looking, but both hits hard and are great according to him. I really like the smaller sleek parallel boxes myself, and also best with side-button, and the dos-equis is also nice changing batts on without screwdriver.

My castigador i'm waiting for, i'm affraid will have the common issue about getting hot underneath/side, because of too thin strip used for the battery hinge door...

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    I will report back on my feelings about my ordered versions of castigador and abaddon when gotten(and another nikita). Second, after some talk with a FT reviewer(JessVapin), which also loves his nikita, I'm currently interested in the dos-equis from FT, either the cheapest or the most expensive(both brass). Jess got both and they are both great with thicker plates(and one he knows runs 0.15 all the time without issue), and the cheaper is just a little less "well-machined" looking, but both hits hard and are great according to him. I really like the smaller sleek parallel boxes myself, and also best with side-button, and the dos-equis is also nice changing batts on without screwdriver.

My castigador i'm waiting for, i'm affraid will have the common issue about getting hot underneath/side, because of too thin strip used for the battery hinge door...
    With the looming FDA regs on the horizon I will be ordering several more myself for future use.

Reactions: Clied Died

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    Just wanted to add shortly that I just recieved a shenray castigador clone from FC, which I got because it had 8 very positive five start reviews there, and no bad ones, and after short usage I will say that it seems to "hit harder" than my nikita parallel box and has silver plated copper neg/pos/510 contacts. I really like it's small form-factor, lightness and price(23 bucks!), but after having seen an issue at FT of another castigador clone model, where the neg-springs eventually collapsed, then I would rather have e.g. screws or something like the raptor etc, which for sure doesn't have a chance of breakage after long usage. It was a 1:1 with even copied box; If the design isn't patented, then clones are OK, but abusing trademarks isn't imho. Still, I rather have the budget, or the intention, of paying the crazy high prices for mechanical things like these either, so what can you do... I've only used it very shortly, but for now I haven't experienced the hot lower bottom-corner issue of many clones with lower builds, using my standard go-to 0.12 ohms(20g dual 3mm 5/6 KA1; simple, but extremely effective :))

focalecig.com - Castigador Box Style Dual 18650 Box Mod 1:1 by ShenRay - Black

I still prefer the nikita though for much easier maintenance/design and screws for neg-contacts... I'm also beginning to think that it wasen't a "current-issue" with the thin-brass plate needing re-adjustments at times, but just that the continues pressings simply warpes it slightly after repeated usage...

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    Very tempted myself also! Freakin' ingenious simplicity at it's best, design-wise imho :) Your build above, which wouldn't be able to work good on 3.7'ish v(under-load), I imagine would absolutely shine at those volts this puts out and with great surface area and max dense'ness! That is probably the exact build I would run myself if gotten it, lol! :) I have read about possibly blocking the airflow with your hand/fingers and getting hot-juice on hands if overdripped, but I don't think that should be an issue with propper usage honestly...

I just got two smpl's, one SS with magnets and copper-pin, and a copper c-clip style, which after short stress-testings(20g dual macros at 0.12), doesn't show signs of hot buttons yet!

I yesterday got a king v2, which has the most awesome threads and build-quality! Unfortunately it was pre-assembled with the 18350 tube on, and I couldn't get it off, plus the atty 510 adjustment pin was stuck + lock ring also stuck open! After a good freezer resting, I got everything open except locking-ring, but that's OK as I don't lock recessed button mechs, but I would still prefer to get it open for cleaning threads. The button is really nice feeling and it's for sure a great mod which i'm definitely very fond of, infact i'm using it right now! THANK YOU ninja! :) (EDIT: After extensive usage, no hot button at 0.12 ohms and nice medium stiff stock spring. DAMN fine mod this is! Sturdy, beefy tank of a mod, lol, but oh so nice... Highly recommended and shocking 12 bucks only at FT!)

A good cleaning trick btw, which you guys of course already know, is dumping the disassembled mod into a vinegar and salt bath for two minutes and then afterwards rinse with hot water(+ sand the contacts with some rubber or pencil-eraser, just to make completely sure, and use a toothbrush on threads/everything). The acetic acid of vinegar(like citric acid of citrus-juice) dissolves oxidation and salt fastens the operation time highly. Much faster than polishing everything fully up with polish-cremes. Well, maybe the later is more thorough, but vinegar/salt bath is really a fast cleaning method for sure, when feeling particularly lazy...

Now i'm just waiting on an abaddon and an extra of my beloved nikita's, plus more velocities + springs, and I will take a little break and fully get to learn everything...

The castigador I just got is so tight on the springs for the battery, that it's a hassle and I really hope they will loosen in time...

Sorry for ramblings... :)

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    I just recieved my aluminum abaddon from FC and it's for now really nice imho and only 18 bucks. Btw, I love ordering from FC to eu with deutche-post(still sent from china though), as it's only taking a week or a day or two more in last several occasions! Normally abaddon's from ivogo and others are silver plated brass, and mine was also described as such, but after ordering, they changed the detail-picture out(but not text). The version I recieved, where like the new pics, copper on all connections(and pin), and silver plated neg-screws. Silver is a better conductor and less oxidating, but only as long as it lasts, so I don't know if I rather would have had the silver-brass contacts, but nonetheless, it's from first usage really a nice mod which hits really good and is so small, compact and awesome feeling in hand + great copper button. I wanted to try if I liked the abaddons before I contemplated getting the copper ivogo version, but already this version will probably not needing me to get another as it's so great imho...

focalecig.com - Abaddon Style Dual 18650 Box Mod - Silver

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    I just recieved my aluminum abaddon from FC and it's for now really nice imho and only 18 bucks. Btw, I love ordering from FC to eu with deutche-post(still sent from china though), as it's only taking a week or a day or two more in last several occasions! Normally abaddon's from ivogo and others are silver plated brass, and mine was also described as such, but after ordering, they changed the detail-picture out(but not text). The version I recieved, where like the new pics, copper on all connections(and pin), and silver plated neg-screws. Silver is a better conductor and less oxidating, but only as long as it lasts, so I don't know if I rather would have had the silver-brass contacts, but nonetheless, it's from first usage really a nice mod which hits really good and is so small, compact and awesome feeling in hand + great copper button. I wanted to try if I liked the abaddons before I contemplated getting the copper ivogo version, but already this version will probably not needing me to get another as it's so great imho...

focalecig.com - Abaddon Style Dual 18650 Box Mod - Silver

Silver plating on contacts won't improve conductivity. The plating helps slow oxidation.
    I prefer Unplated contacts personally.

Reactions: mhertz

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    If you guys don't have an abaddon, then do yourself a favor and get one! I've now run roughly 25ml's "through it" and am now torn between this and the nikita as my favorite parallel mech box! You won't believe how little it is and the youtube reviews doesn't make it justice! It's so freakin' small and nicely held in the hand with it's rounded edges. Great design, only 2 screws to get to the insides to disassemble and clean and fully mechanical. It doesn't get hot on button or elsewhere on 0.12 builds, except of course from the atty's heat-transference and is just a rockin' box. I'm gonna do some more research upon which all copper box is best between ivogo and the others and eventually get an all copper, but this aluminum is definitely great and without batteries is as light as a feather. Not that I think I will be able to tell a difference between alu and copper bodies, but just because I love this mod so much. Two thumbs up! Also as a going-out device it's awesome, as it's so small and compact, and giving double battery life, so for me, I will also use this to take out with, instead of a smpl and extra batts like I used too...

Last edited:

Mrez

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 30, 2014
    New Jersey, United States
    Mhertz and BadNinja, after my mounting frustrations with that Dimitri clone, I tabled it. I just couldn't get it to work the way I expected. That said, frustration leads to impulse and I took a chance at a local B+M two weeks ago and bought a Mizrah mod...made by the EVE folks. Tiny little thing that hits all my happy points...pure mech, very small, side fire, no tools needed to load batteries. I've been using it for two weeks and its been a delight. I only really have one minor niggling thing, the delrin block the Atty sits on has a slight rise on the side opposite of the button when the batteries are tightened in. It causes a very slight angle in the Atty. Other then that, she hits nicely, feels solid in the hand without being heavy, and comfortable to hold. Disassembly is easy, two screws. Positive connections operate on a thick seasaw block. The metal plate that the button hits to fire the mod is thick and solid. Have to be careful about taking it out and adjusting the throw. To close to the block and it will auto fire..to far and you really have to cram it down. Fires best on a low center press. I've hit .12 -.25 builds and all seem to hit nicely. Really shines in the .18 range...but probably because my .12 builds really have a lot of wire that takes time to heat up. Worth the look. I could see a clone having a firing plate to thin..but be hard to see how they could f it up.

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    Cool, i'm glad that you're happy with your purchase! My eve castigador clone also fires best with a lower center-press, btw. I cannot for the life of me get that damn pin out to remove the battery-door which is key to opening it up, and if I cannot open a mech mod up, to clean and service, then it's of no value to me! (silver-plated copper everything internals, but still!)

Anyway, cheers with your nice purchase :)

Last edited:

Froth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 1, 2014
    Chipotle.
    Have not seen it mentioned so I feel I must!

The Lethal clone 3x18650 box has become my most used mod, for some perspective I am pretty much benching two dozen mechanical 18650 tube mods in favor of a $30 clone 3x18650 box. Now don't get me wrong it's not perfect, nothing is and if you have not held one don't judge it before you do. I thought it was going to be bulky and uncomfortable but it fits my average size hands very well, it also goes into a pants pocket or jacket pocket nicely.

Pros:
    Battery life. With 3x18650 I have 7500mah available using Samsung 25R and I pretty much only run a 0.12 ohm build, it's just what I've become accustomed to using and I'm well aware of the drain it puts on the batteries. Even with a very high drain build I am able to vape a full 15ml of juice before I charge the batteries. I have managed to go 48hrs without charging, no other mod I own has been able to do that including my two dual battery mech boxes. Love the battery life, it's top notch.

The Switch. This switch is amazing, nothing short of perfect. The angle it is on is much more ergonomic than a direct top switch and it uses a 1.5" long solid copper reed as the conductor for the switch so because of this there are no springs required to keep the switch contacts apart. What your finger presses is actually a secondary switch which does have a spring, however you should NEVER experience a hot button because the button you press actually carries no current, the bottom of the button has a plastic set screw which isolates it from any electrical heat transfer. Even with extended long draws on my 0.12 build I have NEVER experienced hot button, not even a slightly warm button. No spring collapse has happened either I still have the stock spring in place, Really can't say enough good about the switch. It will require maintenance though as all mechanical switches do, however it's not terribly difficult once you're accustomed to how the mod comes apart, takes me 2-3 minutes total.

Surprisingly conductive. All of the conductive path is either Brass or Copper and fairly well made, I have not had any issues with the switch or battery contacts.

Price. The clone is under $30 on FT and can be found more places. I have a second one coming to me from FT.
    $27.26 Lethal Styled 3*18650 Mechanical Box Mod - delrin + brass + copper at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    focalecig.com - Lethal Style Mechanical Box Mod by ShenRay- Black

Cons:
    Materials. Plastic body feels weak, might just be because it's so light without batteries in it but I would guess it probably will not survive a direct pocket drop on to a hard surface, I don't plan to drop it so I have no way to really tell. The brass and copper have clear coat on them, if that bothers you.

Poor manufacturing. For $30 I didn't expect much for worksmanship, I have had two of the screws break on me which hold the bottom plate to the top plate, they broke because the flat head notch was cut too deep and eventually the pressure sheared the sides off the head. Luckily, the tubes that these screws thread into are a common thread in the vaping industry, I was able to take two post screws from some other RDA clones and they fit just perfectly. Also, both the wolf emblem and the Lethal logo emblem fell off within minutes of me handling it when it arrived, probably a cheap adhesive was used or poor prep. I epoxied them back on and they have not budged since.

IMO it's worth the gamble for the price, you can get the Lethal and six 18650's for under $60, less than the price of many regulated mods alone.

Last edited:

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Apalachicola, FL, United States
    Have not seen it mentioned so I feel I must!

The Lethal clone 3x18650 box has become my most used mod...

I agree enthusiastically. The Lethal is as good as a mech gets IMO. When I leave the house, I grab my Lethal with a Uwell Crown. Trouble free vaping all day long.

2ACE70AA-6BC4-467F-88F2-CE0EDE6C5AFC.jpg

mhertz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 7, 2014
    Denmark
    I just checked a breakdown vid on youtube and it's nice indeed! The switch(and battery cover) is very similar to that of the abaddon, btw. Nice design and really small and compact looking for a tripple parallel box! I imagine it will pack quite a punch VD-wise with it's nice design and tripple cells ;)

Last edited:
    Reactions: entropy1049

Froth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 1, 2014
    Chipotle.
    Great size comparison Entropy, when people ask me for a size comparison I always tell them that It's not as wide as an iPhone 6, so if you can comfortably hold an iPhone 6 in your hand or any of these larger new smart phones you probably won't find issue with how the Lethal Box fits your hands.

If you've ever held an IPV 2 or 3 the Lethal box is MUCH more comfortable than either one of those IMO, it is also smaller in overall height and width.

Reactions: entropy1049
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread