Multi-Device heads up comparison. 6 3.7 volt PV's...or is that 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Hi everybody!

So I sat down with a bunch of different 3.7v rigs and ran a head to head comparison using the same atomizer across the bunch.

The results may surprise you!

Here's what I used;

3 "name brands"

1 510 auto battery
1 Ego battery
1 Lea battery

3 well known "mods"

1 Puresmoker Protege
1 Puresmoker Icon
1 Altsmoke Silver Bullet

Once I finished up with those, I presented a new mod I've come up with. I'm going to call it "The Rob". It will not be for sale, mostly because it's impossible to make another one (and the world would probably implode at the speed of light if someone managed to do so).

Here's the video...

Remember, folks. Customer service and commitment to excellence is what it's all about.

Thanks for watching and happy vaping!

Rob

rc51kodiak

Apr 11, 2011
Over There
I understand where you are coming from as far as finding a good vendor that has good Customer service and all, but as far as all batteries or mods being basically the same I will have to strongly disagree but I am no expert in physics so maybe I am wrong.

Sure they will all make a cloud of vapor because electricity and liquid will always make vapor but the type of vapor or heat will always be different depending on the materials used to tranfer the electricity from the battery to the atomizer or whatever type of heating element you choose.

One of the big reason not all pvs are the same is that they are made out of different material or use different wires or switches to transfer the electricity to the heating element and thats where conductivity comes in to play the more conductivity something has the better it conducts electricity such as silver which is one of the most conductive materials. So I personally think before you put a blanket statement out there such as "all batteries and mods are basically the same" you should run a volt meter and test the attie under a load and then if they are still all the same you might be onto something.

I am in no way bashing your vid or post I am just expressing an opinion of mine which may be wrong, as I stated above I am no expert in physics.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I understand where you are coming from as far as finding a good vendor that has good Customer service and all, but as far as all batteries or mods being basically the same I will have to strongly disagree but I am no expert in physics so maybe I am wrong.

Sure they will all make a cloud of vapor because electricity and liquid will always make vapor but the type of vapor or heat will always be different depending on the materials used to tranfer the electricity from the battery to the atomizer or whatever type of heating element you choose.

One of the big reason not all pvs are the same is that they are made out of different material or use different wires or switches to transfer the electricity to the heating element and thats where conductivity comes in to play the more conductivity something has the better it conducts electricity such as silver which is one of the most conductive materials. So I personally think before you put a blanket statement out there such as "all batteries and mods are basically the same" you should run a volt meter and test the attie under a load and then if they are still all the same you might be onto something.

I am in no way bashing your vid or post I am just expressing an opinion of mine which may be wrong, as I stated above I am no expert in physics.

Yea.. you're correct. But you may be missing his point in this video. I think he's aiming his ire at vendors claiming one tube mod is a better vaping experience than others.

But at the same time, I've purchased mods that had cold soldier joints, switches rated at less than the assumed wattage the PV was capable of, or in the case of one very expensive mod, a physical type switch which added resistance to the loop thus lowering the wattage.

And in the above cases, I could discern a difference in performance. Even using the same battery. But that is a relatively extreme example.

The only other difference that seems to toss an exception at his hypothesis is the difference between a generic eGo battery (which I like and use) and a "big battery mod" or "tube mod" which I like and use. A generic eGo battery might top out after charge at 3.6 volts, and run itself down to 3.0 where it cuts off and demands do be charged, whereas something like an 18650 battery used in a tube mod will charge to 4.2 volts, stay at a higher voltage longer (due to capacity) and cut off when it reaches it's voltage limit.

And you can tell a difference between 3.6 and 4.2 volts (assuming totally fresh batteries). Or I should say that many people will. Additionally, higher mAh batteries will produce more wattage for a longer period of time, even if the voltage was the same in my example- for the purposes of discussion.

But tube for tube- the tube doesn't matter. Unless there's some sort of real impediment to the flow of electricity or defect.

So I think he's referring to the tube. And he's right. The tube, barring a crappy switch not rated for proper amperage, or defect in soldering/wire, makes no difference whatsover.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
I completely agree on the service commentary. That's why I won't do business with a certain vendor who's juices are supposedly "tasty".

I also generally agree with you that the same battery in most mods will perform the same. I wouldn't agree that a 510, eGo, or probably even the Lea would perform the same as an Icon, SB, etc.

Ultimately, this test doesn't mean a whole lot without a multimeter, which would allow for a precise display of differences in voltage. When you start thinking about Ohm's law, a seemingly small amount of difference in voltage can become a sizeable difference in the watts generated.

3.3v and 2.0 ohm = 5.4watts
3.8v and 2.0 ohm = 7.2 watts

A 2 watt difference will be quite noticeable.

Unless you're factoring that in, just showing that a device makes vapor does nothing to quantify the difference in vaping experience. Especially with inconsistent drag lengths, how hard you're puffing, etc.

But, I still think the bulk of your message is in tact. Generally speaking, devices of the same class (eGo, 14500, 18650, etc.) SHOULD produce similar results.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
There's a lot of missing of the point going on. Cozzicon has a good eye on the target, here with the statement that I'm targeting people who say 1 chunk of metal with a button is so much better than all of the other button-sporting hunks of metal.

The overarching point is that John and Jane Q Consumer shouldn't have to own a multimeter and an oscilloscope and a chemical lab and be able to quote the zeroth law of thermodynamics before they buy a pv. They shouldn't have to watch 100 reviews, many of them by people who are far more concerned with keeping up the steady flow of free stuff to their house than they are with helping the consumer.

Other than those folks, a lot of the reviewers out there are just doing it wrong...not because they're bad reviewers but because they've forgotten their target demographic. We shouldn't be making reviews and videos for people who are familiar enough with the tech that they can build their own 5v box mod, blindfolded, with their toes. We should be making them for the people who don't know what a volt is, have never heard of CrNi and wouldn't know a volt meter from a microwave if it kicked them in the junk.

This is where I believe things have gone askew and, for my part, I will endeavor to always think about the end user when I do reviews and tips.

Edit : I just scanned back over some of the comments and would like to make the point that I wasn't timing myself on draw length because the average consumer doesn't do so. I believe the average draw on that video was between 4 and 6 seconds and my draw strength is pretty consistent.
(
Again the point has been utterly missed. Don't try to be pedantic and say "oh goodness, you took a .56 second longer draw on the protégé than you did on the icon and you put .082 inHg more draw on the Lea than you did on the atomizer alone with the doorbell wire" because again, this wasn't a demonstration of precise scientific method, it was a demonstration that, under normal use, there is no significant difference between device performance when those devices are putting out similar voltages and the results are from a consumer point of view, undeniable.

So...everyone...take your multimeters and your mass spectrometers and your science experiments and use them to build an atomizer that will never burn out and cleans itself and puts out consistent vapor from 1.5 - 6 volts. Then we can say we have accomplished something.

Last edited:

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I guess that, instead of making that statement quantitative, I should have made it substantive. My intent is to point out that people are looking at this as if I were attempting scientific methodology instead of real world, anecdotal and evidenciary processes (because too many people think scientific method somehow makes their point more valid).

Having well over a decade as an engineer under my belt, I can apply scientific method just as well as the next guy and used to do so in a number of the videos I made, where engineering principles and science were necessary. I will continue to do so as needed but the points I'm addressing are much better suited to everyday, run of the mill comparative testing. Nothing fancy needed, nothing fancy delivered.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
There's a lot of missing of the point going on. Cozzicon has a good eye on the target, here with the statement that I'm targeting people who say 1 chunk of metal with a button is so much better than all of the other button-sporting hunks of metal.

The overarching point is that John and Jane Q Consumer shouldn't have to own a multimeter and an oscilloscope and a chemical lab and be able to quote the zeroth law of thermodynamics before they buy a pv. They shouldn't have to watch 100 reviews, many of them by people who are far more concerned with keeping up the steady flow of free stuff to their house than they are with helping the consumer.

Other than those folks, a lot of the reviewers out there are just doing it wrong...not because they're bad reviewers but because they've forgotten their target demographic. We shouldn't be making reviews and videos for people who are familiar enough with the tech that they can build their own 5v box mod, blindfolded, with their toes. We should be making them for the people who don't know what a volt is, have never heard of CrNi and wouldn't know a volt meter from a microwave if it kicked them in the junk.

This is where I believe things have gone askew and, for my part, I will endeavor to always think about the end user when I do reviews and tips.

Snipped for brevity.

Well, good enough. I'd never venture into telling anyone how to do a review- but that is a personal choice. When asked.. I always give the following advice:

"Don't post a review you cannot live with. You have to look in the mirror in the morning."

Beyond that, I've got nothing additional to add.

:)

rc51kodiak

Apr 11, 2011
Over There
@ terraphon

If your last post has anything to do with my comment that was not my intent. It is hard to convey one's tone or intent sometimes through words on a screen. I was never questioning your knowledge or skills in any type of way hence the LOL and smiles in my post.

I was just getting the ball rolling on a debatable topic as many people have many different oppinions and preferences when it comes to delivery methods in the vaping community. It was not meant to disagree with you or question your abilities.

"A lot of missing the point going on?" Comment was strictly for humor as me an Basilray were the only 2 to comment so far, so I thought it was funny that you said alot of people:)

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
@ terraphon

If your last post has anything to do with my comment that was not my intent. It is hard to convey one's tone or intent sometimes through words on a screen. I was never questioning your knowledge or skills in any type of way hence the LOL and smiles in my post.

I was just getting the ball rolling on a debatable topic as many people have many different oppinions and preferences when it comes to delivery methods in the vaping community. It was not meant to disagree with you or question your abilities.

"A lot of missing the point going on?" Comment was strictly for humor as me an Basilray were the only 2 to comment so far, so I thought it was funny that you said alot of people:)

Hehe, yeah, it was a volley back to you. Not intended as snarky, more as saying "when I said a lot of misunderstanding, I meant the depth of the misunderstanding, rather than the number of people involved". I just got a little long winded about it ;)

The rest should have said something like ;

I wasn't trying to be scientific, I was just making a visual point.

Stupid fingers went on autopilot.

Bowtie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
South of Heaven
  • Deleted by oldsoldier
  • Reason: unnecessary comment

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
  • Deleted by oldsoldier
  • Reason: unnecessary comment and reply

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Thanks for the video! I have the E-power at a regulated 3.7 volts and thought I might of been missing out with some of these mods.

I have been thinking about using a stick style for when I'm out, and I really think I won't be missing much, this confirms I may have a bit less VP but I'm fine with that.

You're right...you MAY get a bit less VP but it's not a *huge* difference and if it's more convenient for you when you're out, I say go that way.

I don't think you'll be too far behind the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread