Music... To inspire your will to stay smober!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
See, Lynn! I told you that translation offer was gonna get me kicked off ECF!
My apologies, Classwife, if I offended!
Now, where's my disguise? I'm going to have to sneak in the back door from now on with a wig and sunglasses ....

Cullin, we have derailed you again - glad to hear your launch party was a success and I wish you the best of luck with school!

I'll help you sneak back in! I've got a wig, some dark glasses and a long dark coat! I'm out back scouting for the best door! Lol

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
Okay, sorry it took me so long. So when I was 12, my parents got a divorce, all four of my grandparents passed, a good friend passed, and my dog (my best friend) got sick and was put down. I always knew the divorce was never my fault, however, something changed in me that year and set me on a dark and dangerous path. I began rebelling, not trying in school, changed my appearance drastically (punk), became massively depressed, and considered trying certain substances. They never really stuck until I hit high school, thats when the daily use of whats now legal in Colorado began.

For me, it was a definitely a gateway. I held all of this trauma in, never told anyone what I was feeling, and tried my best to pass off as stable. I was constantly trying to build and maintain this wall so that I didn't have to feel. Once I hit my junior year in HS, I was introduced to much harder substances and they took me, immediately. I was instantly hooked, and they took over my life. Somehow, I managed to scrape through HS while still achieving a decent GPA, but things were quickly deteriorating. Once I graduated high school, these things had completely taken over my life. I was debilitated. The depression, and endless cycle of trying to get more left me beyond repair.

I finally decided it was time to get well, so I went into treatment, graduated, stayed clean for just about a month, and thought I had it licked (probably the worst notion anyone like me could have). I immediately found that I was convincing myself I could use recreationally, that I could handle it, and I finally cracked. I went out and got some, and stupidly went back to the dose I was taking before I got clean for that month and my tolerance had been drastically reduced. Well, this caused me to OD, shortly after I had started driving. I lost consciousness and flipped my car on the highway at 70mph. The next thing I know I'm waking up in a hospital surrounded by 20 EMT's, doctors, and ER nurses. I immediately told them what happened so they knew how to treat me (medically), even with a police officer in the room (he issue me a DUI, as I deserved).

This was my awakening, I was killing myself. There is no scientific reason that I lived through that crash. I should have been dead, my car was a mangled nightmare. The first person to roll up on the accident was a registered nurse who just happened to be on her way to work. This occurred about a minute from a fire and ambulance station, and about a mile from the hospital where that nurse worked and I was taken. Those four things opened my eyes, something wanted me here. I have never been religious nor will I ever be, but I cannot deny that something greater than me kept me around. I immediately cleaned myself up, and enrolled in college. This is when I began writing music as a way to get things out, not hold them in any more.

I now have 3 years and 3 months clean from those substances and I was just admitted to a top 10 engineering school. I'll be majoring in Petroleum Engineering. Not to mention the album, the point of this thread!

The album is a musical representation of that 'Shift' in my life. A few of the songs have been wrapped in the guise that they're about girls, but that was marketing. They are truly a representation of this change in my life.

Well there it is, my life on a platter. All of that and I'm only 20 years old.

Awesome story brother!! Amazing!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread