Musicians check in here. If you play, tell us about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one for fellow bearded ERB'er, James:

5b5VDDa.jpg

(pardon the craptastic pics... camera budget still blown on music gear)

KCfHLMl.jpg

7F1o8rB.jpg

The congregation of the twins is complete! It took me a while of tracking a pre-owned one down from Japan and getting it through customs and all that, but the lady on the left is the fretless version (those are inlaid fret lines... thank the cosmos, I'm not that good of a fretless player, haha!) of the fretted gentlemen on the right. Yeah, I gendered them. Whatever. :p

Last edited:
Are there no Hammond players here?
Any Rhodes/Moog/ARP/Sequential Circuits/Oberheim guys out there? No? ...NO?
Jeez.
I am alone in a world of guitar boys.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Nah nah nah nah! I'm a synth-head to be sure. I was 100% ITB for quite a while, but I'm big into the whole synthwave thing. The whole genre connects with me on a fundamental level growing up with '70s and '80s sci fi classics, Miami Vice, John Carpenter, and similar synthtastic stuff. I'm really craving either originals or recreations of Juno-60s and DX7s soooooo bad right now. Something will get my wallet soon. You can't kill the originals as seen here:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I started off at age 12 as a drummer. I spent 6 months in lessons with a practice pad. When I asked my Mom to buy me a drum set she declined because it would be too noisy in the house! Drums were her idea in the first place. Go figure. I guess she didn't think it through at first.

So, I decided I wanted to learn guitar. The Stones and the Beatles were attracting my attention. She bought me a Silvertone acoustic and signed me up for guitar lessons at a local music store. That stuck and I began to hole up in my room some afternoons listening to 45's on one of those fold down turntable stereos.

Once I got pretty good at figuring out all the popular songs from the mid 60's I talked her into a Harmony solid body and a Harmony amp with a 6" speaker from the music shop where I took lessons. I played with some neighborhood guys for a while and around age 15 I found a working group of teens who were forming a band. That took me through high school and we were playing every Friday and Saturday night at youth centers.

I've played regularly in one band or another while holding down a day job. During the 70s and 80s we were playing every Friday and Saturday night. My day job as a Field Engineer/Tech Rep for Xerox coupled with music income put me way over the top. Life's been good!

Nowadays, I'm happy just playing in the praise band at church. Right now that's on hold, but I'll find a way to keep playing.

James Hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2010
toms_river.nj.us
www.myselfalone.com
How is everyone doing? I'm still off vaping (and smokes)... I stumbled into a great job in my chosen profession paying me real money again. I'm now DevOps Admin for a software division of a Credit Card Processing company. It is pretty odd day to day considering I am a hard line Secular Humanist for close to 30 years... and the company is owned and run by the Orthodox Jews from the communities of Brooklyn and Lakewood! They are great, and I'm really digging being mentally tired at the end of my day. The money is a definite plus... I haven't been able to not worry about making ends meet in a long while.

No new gear for me yet, but I got tired of farting around with my intermittently failing DAW so I am waiting on Fedex to drop of new bits and pieces from Newegg.

My daughter turned 3, she has a uke, violin, penny whistle, recorder, harmonica, random percussion, and piano. She is constantly writing and playing silly little songs... it is amazing to watch her love of music grow. She doesn't really play anything... but she is consistent in her strums & plucks, and sings 'around' the key of her current tunings :D

Anyway, I hope you are all well... I'd been thinking about you guys!

Sweet! Those are some YUUUUUGE strings!

Gotta keep those whales breeding. Just doing my part.

Good to hear everything is going good, James. Keep moving forward brother.

No new gear for me yet, but I got tired of farting around with my intermittently failing DAW so I am waiting on Fedex to drop of new bits and pieces from Newegg.

I just built a beast of a computer so as to never deal with that stuff. I'm on a bass & bass-related kick lately, and I need me some Darkglass stuff now me thinks. The new Alpha-Omega Ultra looks and sounds fantastic (IR loader FTW!). This pretty much has me sending money to those fine Finnish friends:

Last edited:
Reactions: James Hart

James Hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2010
toms_river.nj.us
www.myselfalone.com
I just built a beast of a computer so as to never deal with that stuff.

I have a Fractal Design R4 case, Noctua fans and cpu cooler, newish power supply, 2T storage drive, and 128gb SSD left from the old system I'm reusing. New pieces are ASRock AB350 Pro4, AMD A10-9700, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD M.2 boot drive, and an adapter to use my AM3+ Noctua cpu cooler on AM4 processor. It will run my triple monitor set up without a video card and associated extra fans. I'll pick up a second pair of 8gb ram sticks in a few weeks. It will run Win 10 pro... Reaper for recording, Foobar2k for playback (I have my computer hooked up to a late 70s Sony receiver pushing a conservative 85wpc into a M&K Goliath II passive sub and pair of mid 90s JBL 4408 studio monitors

I do video playback occasionally, but pretty much it is just audio, coding and surfing. One of my monitors is a 24" Elo touch screen

20170827_Sony_STR-6800SD.jpg

Here is my kid helping me refurb an early 70s Kenwood I restored for my wife and kid to use with a bluetooth receiver... and watching Lindsey Stirling on youtube
20170904_Dale.jpg

I'm on a bass & bass-related kick lately, and I need me some Darkglass stuff now me thinks. The new Alpha-Omega Ultra looks and sounds fantastic (IR loader FTW!). This pretty much has me sending money to those fine Finnish friends:

Doug makes some killer stuff! That Alpha-Omega Ultra got me gassing a bit too.

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
Hey guys. Been a busy while for. For the record, 3 weeks today no cigars :D ... at my gig today I did songs I have been fearing. I had a few of the regulars mention how strong my vocals sounded today. I feel awesome.

I released my first cd finally. I might have 1 song sold for tv commercial placement. Waiting to hear more. Sold quite a few full cd's already :D Ya, it's been fun and doing fairly new genre. 5 of the songs I got the lyrics sent over, and I decided I was going to do a full country cd. I did 2 covers (got mechanical license for those)

I am back to the americana cd this week. I have 4 songs mostly done for that already. Have a listen.
Heck I even got notice it's on spotify today haha (biting my tongue here)
Music

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hey guys and gals. I have been entered into the CBC Searchlight contest. It's online voting. daily voting over the next week decides who moves on. The final gets to play at the Junos... if you could help a bros out. here's my submission link
Barry Wilson

Done. I hope you win this contest.

• Love
Reactions: Pipeous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread