My family thinks I'm more addicted to e-cigs than I was to analogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

peachette

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA USA
My family says I am constantly vaping - way more than I ever smoked cigarettes. I say their right, I am craving nicotine more than ever. Is this normal?

I use 18mg all day long - but I'm not smoking analogs! I think they are so worried that they want me to start smoking analogs again. I also think they are jealous of how much time I spend on this forum. What do you think?

robw

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2008
Austin Texas
I vape much more than I ever smoked. Just remember that nicotine leaves your system in 2 hours. Tar, and what have you from analogs take months and years to leave your system. Cancer on the other hand can kill you. I think it is the same as coffee, if you drink to much coffee your body tells you to stop. Nicotine does the same thing. The thing that gives you the head rush in analogs is missing from e-cigs. The single puff from an analog will give a head rush, blur your vision and other things. Replacing that feeling with ecig nicotine requires lots of vaping. Luckily you are not getting tar and all that as well.

Mufftrix

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
Stoke-On-Trent UK
I am finding same am using e-cig a lot! One habit replaced by another? but am going to reduce to medium nic cartridges then hopefully low/zero but will be doing over a few months! Am worse when on computer it so easy just have in your hand don`t realise how much you using it! I am going to have try just using when get urge for a analog if can?

My family says I am constantly vaping - way more than I ever smoked cigarettes. I say their right, I am craving nicotine more than ever. Is this normal? ?

It is peachette, I vape all day now and was never a heavy analog user. Clean nicotine is addictive stuff! But at least it's less dangerous, and is enjoyable, so I could care less. It's just a pesky habit now that we spend a bit of money on.

And my lungs feel a million times better, so it's very much worth it.

Don't go back to analogs under any circumstances regardless of what they say!

Tetsab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2008
East Sussex, UK
Peachette, how many and what kind of strength cigarettes were you smoking before your e-cig arrived? In the 'early days' (6 weeks ago, haha) I started with 18mg same as you but found it left me wanting an occasional 'real' cig.

Just as a back-of-an-envelope calculation, I worked out that as I used to smoke 30/day at 8mg nicotine each, that meant 24mg per day from the tobaccos. Roughly worked out that I was using around 1ml of liquid in my e-cig in a day - result, less nicotine than I was used to. These calcs can't be taken as gospel but made sense to me.

I've been experimenting since then (who doesn't?) and found that some of the time, like when I'm in front of the pc posting here, the lower strengths or diluted higher strengths keep me perfectly happy. In the past I used to chain smoke in similar situations and found I wasn't even noticing that I'd had a cigarette, much less enjoyed it!

I love my e-cig and do find I'll carry on sucking away at it more or less continuously a lot of the time. On other occasions (like first thing in the morning) I definitely want that nicotine 'hit'. For those times I'll top up my cart with a few drops of the 36mg super-high strength - but following that I will actually put the e-cig down and leave it alone for a bit.

Hope this makes some kind of sense to you - but resist all efforts to get you back on the tobacco at all costs; that way madness lies! 8-o

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
The single puff from an analog will give a head rush, blur your vision and other things.

that brings back memories.. from about thirty years ago.. he he

all its done for the last ten years has made me cough.. but now amazingly enough after e smoking i enjoyed the two slim panatella cigars i treated myself to on christmass day..

very perverse this but i can now actually enjoy a real smoke now.. when i feel like it.. do i feel bad about this.. not in the slightest.. it simply tells me my lungs have healed..

some say there is such a thing as an "addictive personality" perhaps all ex real smokers have such a thing.. i think i have.. one addiction has been replaced by another.. i would sooner have nether.. but the one i now have is better than the one i used to have..

trog

spyderuk

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2008
UK
Same here. 10 days in but now I'm settling down a little.

On my 1 hour car journey to work I used to smoke 2-3 cigs but I find I vape most of the way. I've seen others post saying "I use it as a pacifier" & "It's sort of glued to my lips" so I do think this is quite common. Let's face it, you've found a more enjoyable way to do what you have been doing for a while so hell yeah, your going to abuse it lol.

I though maybe I wasn't getting enough nic on medium juice so I have ordered some high to see if I can vape a little less. I also have some zero nic riskee to vape when at home on pc or watching tv etc.

I wouldn't say they are jealous of you and this forum but it sounds like your like me. Once you get your teeth into something new that you enjoy it kinda takes up a lot of your spare time.

I think what i have found is.. you may seem to Vape more often then you smoked because you are using it in more places .. the other thing to remember is .. you are probally not sitting there for 5-7 smoking a full cigarette. i normally have 2-3 puffs then fine for 1-2 hours befor ei have another.. so it may seem u are vaping more then smoking cause you are taking puffs more often thru your hour then you would to smoke.

peachette

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA USA
Peachette, how many and what kind of strength cigarettes were you smoking before your e-cig arrived? In the 'early days' (6 weeks ago, haha) I started with 18mg same as you but found it left me wanting an occasional 'real' cig.

Just as a back-of-an-envelope calculation, I worked out that as I used to smoke 30/day at 8mg nicotine each, that meant 24mg per day from the tobaccos. Roughly worked out that I was using around 1ml of liquid in my e-cig in a day - result, less nicotine than I was used to. These calcs can't be taken as gospel but made sense to me.

I've been experimenting since then (who doesn't?) and found that some of the time, like when I'm in front of the pc posting here, the lower strengths or diluted higher strengths keep me perfectly happy. In the past I used to chain smoke in similar situations and found I wasn't even noticing that I'd had a cigarette, much less enjoyed it!

I love my e-cig and do find I'll carry on sucking away at it more or less continuously a lot of the time. On other occasions (like first thing in the morning) I definitely want that nicotine 'hit'. For those times I'll top up my cart with a few drops of the 36mg super-high strength - but following that I will actually put the e-cig down and leave it alone for a bit.

Hope this makes some kind of sense to you - but resist all efforts to get you back on the tobacco at all costs; that way madness lies! 8-o

Thank you. I think you're right. I definitely need more nicotine in the morning, but during the day, maybe I should try a lower strength.

Also,I am an addictive personality...smoking, drinking, sinning...are some of my favorite things. I've never known when to stop...guess e-cigs are my new addiction.

jimgman

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2008
delaware
i was thinking the opposite...i got the 16mg stuff, was vaping twice as much as i smoked...and was still having withdrawal symptoms like lightheadedness, and would get a buzz off an analog, so i got some 36 mg because i fear what you were saying....i dont want to have to vape ALL the time. i would prefer to be like smoking 15 or so puffs every hour or so, just like i did with analogs. i can easily see your fears, i am constantly fighting the urge to constantly vape. i beleive we are getting much less nicotine from vaping.i saw a test on a thread here somewhere that vapor had 5 times less nic than tobacco smoke, but i also fear...if this is not true, i could end up MUCH more addicted to nicotine than before. again, this is trial and error, and we are ginea pigs for sure. i hope some of the long time vapers can help answer some of this.i've been wondering just how much people are vaping.
ps: rock-god bless you if you only have 2-3 puffs an hour. and btw, i smoked about 1 pack of regular camel menthols a day.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Some people solve this problem by vaping no nic in between nic.

Others drip because one dripping session roughly equals one analog.

Or they vape very low nic all the time.

While my MF worked, I just avoided the other battery. The one I used went flat after an hour or so and then there was a wait of minimally 20 minutes, optimally 70 minutes. I found out there is no problem stopping for that hour before next dose, giving the body a break from the nic.

The worst thing you can do to yourself is vape high nic for long periods of time. Not because of health risks - there might be none, who knows? -, but because these things might become unavailable due to myriad of reasons (government being the top ten) and then you are left with huge nicotine addiction/tolerance, much worse than any analog smoker. I would not want to be in that position. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread