My first RDA setup - The Results...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Damn... And I just wrapped this... Vapes well at your power reqs.

View attachment 825753

For dual, you'd need a 1.5-2mm max inner diameter with really fancy wire. Coil placement is going to be critical at that size though
I never used a coil smaller than 2mm diameter, even in the old kayfun Mini 2.1 and that was a 14mm rta. ;)

Are you talking about those Dragon nano coils RipDripper used to wrap with cotton back in the day?

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I never used a coil smaller than 2mm diameter, even in the old Kayfun Mini 2.1 and that was a 14mm RTA. ;)

Are you talking about those Dragon nano coils RipDripper used to wrap with cotton back in the day?

I'm saying, it's the only way to keep mass down with that much metal. It's be a bit¢h to build, but if you could pull it off, it'd vape nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrollDragon

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I'm saying, it's the only to keep mass down with that much metal. It's be a bit¢h to build, but if you could pull it off, it'd vape nicely.
Tiny diameter coils always ended up burning the wick in the middle for me due to not enough juice flow.

I think instead of trying to bandaid an RDA into a particular vape style, a different RDA should be chosen. We all have a box full of RDAs that didn't quite work for us and this is no different.

Lots of inexpensive Goon clones out there and even the authentic is not that much, it would be a better option IMHO.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Tiny diameter coils always ended up burning the wick in the middle for me due to not enough juice flow.

I think instead of trying to bandaid an RDA into a particular vape style, a different RDA should be chosen. We all have a box full of RDAs that didn't quite work for us and this is no different.

Lots of inexpensive Goon clones out there and even the authentic is not that much, it would be a better option IMHO.

I think the RDA has less to do with the compromises needed, than lack of TC and/or a second battery.
Asking that much metal to heat quickly, and conversely cool quickly, with out TC as a band-aid, and more wattage as a sledge hammer, takes finesse.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I think the RDA has less to do with the compromises needed, than lack of TC and/or a second battery.
Asking that much metal to heat quickly, and conversely cool quickly, with out TC as a band-aid, and more wattage as a sledge hammer, takes finesse.
We're back to the start of this whole thing. OP has a lack of build knowledge, chose a combo that was advised against and has a blister pack chimney mesh coil as a baseline...

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
We're back to the start of this whole thing. OP has a lack of build knowledge, chose a combo that was advised against and has a blister pack chimney mesh coil as a baseline...

Which is where I started. Save my first choices were a topside and DRSQ, and a rx2 with the drop dead... Coming from a Nord 0.6ohm mesh. My standards aren't the highest either. Will he achieve kayfun flavor? No. Does op or I know what's that even like? I seriously doubt that. Can descent flavor, with Instagram coils, be achieved with 1 battery on SS316L, in a subpar rda, yes. Will learning how to do so be insightful? Most definitely.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I Think we both missed a serious error by OP though.

NEVER RUN DUAL COIL IF THE COILS ARENT TWINS!!!!!!!!

ETA: 316L tiger 26g + 0.2*0.8 2mm ID.
Wicks 95%VG pretty well for what it is, ohms out at 0.12-0.14 cold, 0.20 hot. Warmish vape @ 80w with RDTL airflow. Doesn't get the barrel hot at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20190709_132443.jpg
    IMG_20190709_132443.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cooperant

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Which is where I started. Save my first choices were a topside and DRSQ, and a rx2 with the drop dead... Coming from a Nord 0.6ohm mesh. My standards aren't the highest either. Will he achieve kayfun flavor? No. Does op or I know what's that even like? I seriously doubt that. Can descent flavor, with Instagram coils, be achieved with 1 battery on SS316L, in a subpar rda, yes. Will learning how to do so be insightful? Most definitely.

It would be very subjective as to what the definition of "decent flavor" with IG coils on a single cell device would be.
Since he's new to the building game, he might have more patients and desire in learning to make this RDA usable.

I've wasted too many hours faffing around with mediocre RDAs & RTAs trying to get a decent vape from them that I don't even bother anymore.

I Think we both missed a serious error by OP though.

NEVER RUN DUAL COIL IF THE COILS ARENT TWINS!!!!!!!!
I ran a mismatched pair in the Crius + for a few weeks before realizing there was something a bit off with the vape. I assumed it was one of the coils wicked a little too tight with Rayon. Nope a 9/8 wrap on one side and a 10/9 wrap on the other... :lol:

• Winner
Reactions: HigherStateD

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
It would be very subjective as to what the definition of "decent flavor" with IG coils on a single cell device would be.
Since he's new to the building game, he might have more patients and desire in learning to make this RDA usable.

I've wasted too many hours faffing around with mediocre RDAs & RTAs trying to get a decent vape from them that I don't even bother anymore.

I ran a mismatched pair in the Crius + for a few weeks before realizing there was something a bit off with the vape. I assumed it was one of the coils wicked a little too tight with Rayon. Nope a 9/8 wrap on one side and a 10/9 wrap on the other... :lol:
Quite right. Asking this RDA to produce good flavor, and clouds, below 80w, safely, is a bit much. Can I tell what juice I'm vaping, and even detect notes I don't in other RDAs? Yes.

ETA, it's easier with a single coil setup, and the results can be better, as in, bigger clouds, better flavor, shinier hunk of modern art, and as far as I can tell, once you pop that top cap back on, how it vapes is far more important than how it looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrollDragon

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Right, well, I guess the future for me will be aliens and cripsy lips, for at least a year or so untill I run out of those coils.
At which point I was thinking instead of premade coils to buy some alien wire(saw some "Demon Killer" alien wire on aliexpress that looked nice enough to me, though I'm sure you guys are gonna tell me otherwise:p) and maybe like that I'll be able to take a wrap or so off and maybe dial the heat down a bit while still keeping the clouds... dunno we'll see. But I ain't sinking more money into it for now.

The only thing I have left to decide is if I'm gonna buy a profile unity rta for my inside vaping or not...

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
The way I vape, lots of chain vaping, my rdas get nothing more than slightly warm. And I use a lot of small, low profile rdas with .2-.25 ohm coils on a mech (which is between 70-90w roughly). So as long as the rda is designed right, and the build is positioned properly, the rda should not get hot.

SSL316 or NiCh 80?

I've used a .2 -.25 Kanthal in a Gorge. The vapor to me is hot. Would like to learn how to avoid that using .2 -.25 if I can. I'm currently using a SS316\L 26awg 4 wraps 3mm ID and tapping around .3 (apologies, double checked it's at .35) and it seems the vapor is cool. Drop it to 3 wraps at .25 and it gets hot. Not quite sure where I'm going wrong.

I use single coil only. No need of dual running a single cell 18650 mech.

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Right, well, I guess the future for me will be aliens and cripsy lips, for at least a year or so untill I run out of those coils.
At which point I was thinking instead of premade coils to buy some alien wire(saw some "Demon Killer" alien wire on aliexpress that looked nice enough to me, though I'm sure you guys are gonna tell me otherwise:p) and maybe like that I'll be able to take a wrap or so off and maybe dial the heat down a bit while still keeping the clouds... dunno we'll see. But I ain't sinking more money into it for now.

The only thing I have left to decide is if I'm gonna buy a profile unity rta for my inside vaping or not...
You've got demon killer coils? I've got a pack of those. I'll do what I can to make two work, mine are KA though. Really though, why dual NEED dual coil?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
SSL316 or NiCh 80?

I've used a .2 -.25 Kanthal in a Gorge. The vapor to me is hot. Would like to learn how to avoid that using .2 -.25 if I can. I'm currently using a SS316\L 26awg 4 wraps 3mm ID and tapping around .3 and it seems the vapor is cool. Drop it to 3 wraps at .25 and it gets hot. Not quite sure where I'm going wrong.
By loosing a wrap, you're making the vape more efficient, asking less of the batteries. Ohm has little to do with result in a regulated mod.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
No @HigherStateD , right now all I have are those premade aliens, no idea what brand wire whoever made them used. Demon Killer wire is what I was thinking of buying a year or so from now aka after I run out of the premade ones.
I got most of my wire @2$ a roll for things like alien and tiger. Generic stuff. Fancier stuff, I got at about 6$. Wire is cheap enough that if you don't like the vape you're getting, it's worth changing it up. You could even try unwinding a coil and re-spining it, but that is a pita

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
By loosing a wrap, you're making the vape more efficient, asking less of the batteries. Ohm has little to do with result in a regulated mod.

Agreed but at the same time, ... I'm not running a regulated mod.
*ahem*

I use single coil only. No need of dual running a single cell 18650 mech.

If I was running regulated I wouldn't give a flying fig. I'd use coat hanger wire and not even bother with Steam Engine, or an ohm meter. Regulated would "just work", or not. I could then also likely dip down to .15 although I'm sure most regulated devices still shut off at .20, or ought to so as to avoid short circuiting.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Agreed but at the same time, ... I'm not running a regulated mod.
*ahem*

If I was running regulated I wouldn't give a flying fig. I'd use coat hanger wire and not even bother with Steam Engine, or an ohm meter. Regulated would "just work", or not. I could then also likely dip down to .15 although I'm sure most regulated devices still shut off at .20, or ought to so as to avoid short circuiting.
My mods will fire @ 0.04 ohm. If you don't really know what you're doing to achieve a vape you want on a mech, I'd suggest at least starting your own thread, so as to avoid confusion, or better yet, practice in a regulated in bypass mode.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

Every regulated device will have its own limitations. Some can fire a <0.03 ohm coil as an example. +/- a small variance of course. Should resistance fall outside what the device feels is adequate, it will not fire and spit out an error. A regulated device separates battery from the coil. It's not the resistance that strains a bettery with a regulated device, it is the prescribed wattage/voltage.

VIKINGS – never used Demon Killers. Based on just what I have seen on da interwebs they are of high mass and no different than the 20lb beasts you are currently using. Post the coils you are interested in for others to comment.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Should resistance fall outside what the device feels is adequate, it will not fire and spit out an error. A regulated device separates battery from the coil. It's not the resistance that strains a bettery with a regulated device, it is the prescribed wattage/voltage.

Yes, have understood this a while now. This and my aforementioned lack of desire to "fool around" with electronics chips is what has led me into Mech Land. :) I'll take on using Ohm's Law and calculators to help over having something decide for me.

And yes, I know we've spoken of this great "comprise" too. :)

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
My mods will fire @ 0.04 ohm. If you don't really know what you're doing to achieve a vape you want on a mech, I'd suggest at least starting your own thread, so as to avoid confusion, or better yet, practice in a regulated in bypass mode.

That's not what I was asking you or the person I asked about doing .20 - .25. I believe I might possibly "achieve a vape I want" at .20 - .25. I'm simply unsure how @Zaryk is "achieving a vape I want" at .20 - .25. I thought it was an ABC conversation that could be answered by @Zaryk without confusing the thread. It was simply a question of SS or NiC, not directed to you even.

Think maybe you're causing any confusion. Sure, yeah real "friendly bunch" here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread