The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My first RDA setup - The Results...

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by VlKlNGS, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Ok, thank you guys. I'll make my decision on Sunday(or Monday) whether to sink more money into it or not, and if I do guess I'll grab a spool of 26 AWG kanthal.
    Can't promise you no spaced parallel coils @mimöschen , I'll check out some youtube vids to see how hard those are to make.
    LE: Actually they don't look so hard to do with the coil jig I would buy, so sure, I could give em a try.

I'll report back with the results.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DarrenMG

DarrenMG Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 9, 2015
    I am also curious about the Wotofo Profile because of the spring, but...

If you were to un-roll two coils, there is quite a bit of surface area there; cotton sag is less of an issue; and I keep seeing videos of people giving up on mesh in RDAs and building them using coils if they can, so I still haven't bought one.

3. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I had my doubts about the profile before I picked one up too. But it really is worth while.

I installed one of the extra springs along with the original (doubled them up) and that helped out a lot. Besides that it is all about getting the right amount of wick and situating it to eleminate any gaps between the wick and the mesh. It's easier than it sounds. It has really good flavor, and requires less tinkering than a standard coil set up. You don't have to rewick as often, and the mesh seems to get gunked up slower so you don't have to dry burn as often either.

With that being said, I do still use regular coil rdas. But the profile found its spot in my daily rotation and will likely stay there for a long time.

Edit- and I forgot to mention that since it is a single strip of mesh, it has substantially less mass than a regular coil, with a lot of surface area. It uses less battery power to run mesh since it is so much more efficient at its job.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DarrenMG

DarrenMG Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 9, 2015
    Thanks @Zaryk. Okay, it's next on my list then. Not that I need yet another RDA, but can't help myself :p

Seriously though I'm so impressed with the Freemax Mesh Pro coils (double or triple), maybe mesh is the future.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    @Zaryk can you give me any details on the juice consumption when you use your Profile please? How many ml per how many puffs, and at what wattage?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Zaryk

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I use mechs exclusively, so wattage isn't something I even think about. Also mechs don't have puff counters. But I use around 9ml on one Samsung 20S down to 3.55-3.6v.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Sadly that doesn't tell me much of anything. :(
    I'm on the complete other end of the spectrum, know nothing about volts, only use regulated devices in w and try to buy with puff counters when I can.

8. Zaryk

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Sorry I can't help more on that subject. I dislike regulated mods very much, so I can't relate it in a way that would translate to your style. Asking on this thread would be more helpful I'm sure. WOFOTO Profile RDA

• Like Like x 1
  9. GOMuniEsq

GOMuniEsq Self-Proclaimed Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    OP, you're an energy vampire. If I may paraphrase:

You: "SIGH—I bought the RDA that you told me too, but—SADLY—the thing heats up too much and—ALAS—I'm hesitant to sink any more money into this project. DESPITE MY BETTER JUDGEMENT—I did and now—SIGH—I have a new problem. And another. WOE IS ME—I might call it quits right now. HUFF—I'll let you know."

You ought to be overjoyed that so many knowledgeable people are willing to advise you on your personal project. But instead you're reluctant and vaguely resentful. This is your project. You're the one who stands to benefit. You'll only get out what you're willing to put in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    First of what the heck is wrong with that thing in your avatar @GOMuniEsq ?!?! Take it to a doctor or something, poor little thing... :(

Second, I'm just being overly cautios with money atm since I have other things going on as I've detailed a bit on a couple of posts back.
    Resentful? Neah, I just know what I want and I get a little sad when I'm told I can't have it, even if it's from someone who's only trying to help me. That might be what you're picking up on. But I do appreciate all the the help, as I've stated several times before.

Np @Zaryk , thanks for the link, I'll go check it out.

11. GOMuniEsq

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    He's an african pygmy hedgehog preparing to annoint himself with foamy saliva. Interesting habit, no? Why they do it is still not fully understood.

Cheers! I have seen you express appreciation, which is good. But your problems are not other people's problems. Crack open that wallet and spend with glee, because good equipment is an investment that pays off! You stand to save many thousands of dollars in the coming years.

• Like Like x 1
  12. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Gross habit more likely. Saliva... Not my thing... F me, now I can't stop looking at it!... :(

We'll see, we'll see, just let me survive through November and black friday please, then I'll probably be more loose with my wallet. ;)
    Till then I'll most likely just buy the stuff mentioned above and see if/by how much that improves the situation. And we'll take it from there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. GOMuniEsq

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Cheer up, friend. "Black Friday" was invented as another way to empty the wallets of skinflints and materialists. Good investments are always a bargain.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. gpjoe

gpjoe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    VIKINGS, sadly for you, being on a tight budget does not serve you well with vaping. I get it, and can appreciate that you have a budget, but many of the folks here have spent literally thousands of dollars over the years buying stuff to try and find their perfect vape, me included.

Your way is likely smarter and better - asking questions, and doing thorough research - in order to arrive there quicker.

Having said that, vaping is very subjective and it is likely that what works for someone else may not be ideal for you. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have bought something that other folks were raving about only to be disappointed, but more often than not you can get a good idea when you see trends. There are many items that a LOT of people are in agreement on and those are where to start.

I have two Profile Mesh RDAs and use them on my Pulse 80 mods. I don't prefer a very hot vape, so I'm running around 35w and a 3000mAh Ijoy 20700 battery lasts for about one refill of the juice bottle - about the same as my single coil ReCurve RDAs at the same wattage using a clapton coil.

I really like the vape off of the Profile Mesh - lots of vapor, smooth firing and draw with no spitting or popping, decent flavor, and as others have stated the mesh is very thin and seems to cool off quickly versus the mass of a bulkier dual coil build.

Again, your mileage may vary but I really enjoy my Profile RDAs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Yeah, you're not the only one whispering good things in my ear about the profile @gpjoe we'll definitely have to come back to that for if/when I ever get to my second setup.

And no offence, seriously, to anyone who has spent thousands of dollars on vaping gear, but no way is that an option for me, not even a discussion.
    Heck I'd rather shot myself in the foot(which yeah would actually still be cheaper) then have to do that even assuming I could afford it!

16. gpjoe

Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    I seriously doubt that anyone here would ever be offended by your budget. Just understand that many of us have gone through what you are going through, but by trial and error, and it can be costly.

Also, a lot of members here treat vaping as a hobby once they get off tobacco and they have the means to spend like any other hobby. There are also those that vape as frugally as possible to stay off of cigarettes, and the whole gamut in between. How much anybody can or will spend is a personal decision.

As far as the hobby aspect goes, it reminds me of a headphone forum I joined years ago. There was a saying that the veterans used to greet new members:

"Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Zaryk

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I am on a tight budget too. I have a son diagnosed with leukemia six months ago, I get no support from anyone (except our insurance covers a lot thankfully). But I still get some expensive items from time to time (vicious ant spades, signature sq, kronig box, moddog pulsar, US modz stinger, purge squonk, ect) because I save up or find good deals sometimes. I may have dropped $2000 ish on vape gear since i started about two years ago, but the cigs would have cost me well over $7000 in that time. Still saved $5000 and got nice high quality made stuff to vape on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GOMuniEsq

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    It's worth mentioning that the thousands that some have spent is eclipsed by the tens of thousands in sin taxes that they have saved. Myself, I'm poor. I've probably spent less than $1000 on my habit in all the years I've vaped. But I used to spend $400/mo when I smoked, so ignoring inflation I've saved $36000. How can I go wrong?

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. gpjoe

Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    Yep, I forgot to mention that if the OP has quit a pack-a-day habit there should be some funds that can now be diverted to vaping. Obviously I don't know his situation, but still a very good point.

I have saved well over ten thousand dollars. by cutting back (dual use) and finally quitting. Far more than I have spent on vaping.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    All valid points.
    Btw how about you @gpjoe , can you give me any details on the juice consumption when you use your Profile please? How many ml per how many puffs, and at what wattage? Or are you in the same camp as @Zaryk using only mechs?

With my SKRR sub tank and it's 0.2 qf mesh coils at 65-70w I go through about 10-15 ml and around 250-300 puffs per day. If I where to get the profile(or some other single coil atty if for whatever reason we decided the profile is not good for me) later on for a second "inside the house" setup I'd really like it if I could ideally beat that juice consumption, or worst case scenario at least match it. Would that be possible?

Good night peeps, see you tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.