My Madvapes Nico-Drip Version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
This is finally my madvapes Mahmba I have searched for! Guess we could dub it the "ghetto Mahmba"?! Thanks to Tinear and NicoWolf for the inspiration... and my MadVape buddies here for feeding my inspiration.

It is a 3.7 volt, juice injection 510 vapor box mod with a failsafe horn button switch and the time honored durability of a Nico-Stick. I know this one will not fail (aside from a better tubing).

It's like many people I have been fortunate enough to know..... maybe not so beautiful on the outside, but certainly beautiful on the inside... and that's what truly counts.

I'm not happy with the appearance of this one yet... so that will come later. Just need time to get there. I also do not like how I've experimented way too much on molding the Horn Button Switch. I will definitely tone that down next time and may even replace this one.

I guess I will call it My MadVapes Nico-Drip V2

nico-dripv2.jpg

The Ugly Button I did:

nico-dripv2but.jpg

nico-dripv2parts.jpg

A tutorial will be posted on this in the Modders Forum and over on the MadVapes "how-to" forum within the next few days hopefully. I just need to text the pictures and upload them to my PhotoBucket account, then post it.

Last edited:

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
Amazing work Dreams.. I can't even cut a hole in one of those boxes without shattering it.. Love the led placement, gives the full lighting effect :)

Thanks Hoogie! That's why I use a Dremel rotary tool with a fine grinding tip at slightly high speed... melts right through the boxes to produce perfect holes.

The LED may be moved to light up more of the inside when I get around to making it pretty. I'm thinking of grind-melting a cresent moon shape in order to see the inside tubing from the outside.

I'm a "should've been airbrush artist" and the whole blank areas are driving me crazy! It's like when I see the side of a van or vehicle that would be perfect mural makings.... and I want to take my airbrush to it really bad. These perfect, blank sides are driving me nuts.

I also need to get over to MadVapes and check out all the switches. There may be a perfect one there for re-molding. I love the horn button switches though.... everything about them..... so maybe that is why I'm not happy with what I did to this poor little guy? LoL! It would've been much better had I only re-shaped the side of it.

RIP possibly in the future little Horn Button Switch... I'm so sorry for my overzealous experimentation modding of you. :(

(/me just knows Hoogie's gonna ban me from buying switches from him!)

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
Dreams, a few questions, if you don't mind.

What did you use for the tubing?

What are those little metal(?) nubbins connecting the small hose to the cart and to the bigger hose?

What did you use for adhesive on the tubing (if you used it)?

Does it leak?

That is where it gets difficult to direct anyone to. Tubing.

The part that goes through the box:
What I used I almost hate to tell anyone for fear that people may be tearing lighters apart and wasting butane, etc. But.... what I used was an old campfire lighter. I had to really mod the brass fitting by taking it apart, drilling a micro hole in it and putting back together with stuff called MarineTex. Kind of like JB Weld. To much to go into really. The brass part going into the cart is also from an old lighter.

The Tubing is parts. Part oxygen tubing, part Pipette tubing and part of the tubing from the lighter. The lighter tubing will not hold up eventually and will become brittle, so not good to use. I like it because it's tiny. It's the weakest point. That is where it will eventually leak.

I have not had to use any bonding material on the tubing. Inside the box it fits very snuggly with this set-up.... but...... that is where it would be really easy to make a tube permanent... at the top. The bottom of the tube slips nice and tight onto the dropper bottle... no chance of leaking there and easily removable to refill.

It definitely can be better modified as soon as we all find some good, affordable tubing that is safe and durable.

This is not yet one that I can throw into my pocket at work if the tubing on the outside is hooked in. I'm working on that! Almost had it on my first Nico-Drip... but tried to many times at remodding the top of the box and cracked half the top off!

These are parts from my original Nico-Drip. The bottle in this one was heated slightly using a soldering iron and shaped to fit in the space you see. The JB-Weld behind the bottle is only there to keep it supported.

Edit to add: People are having luck at locating metal parts and tubing at hobby stores apparently.... in the gas powered remote control toy section. I live out in the middle of nowhere and have no such stores.

Last edited:

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
You could also get tubing like this along with the nipples from a hobby shop that sells gas/nitro powered cars and planes. They have what you would need.

LoL.... we posted that at the same time!

I also want to mention in here that I cut-melt the protruding nub off from the main On/Off switch so that it does not stick out on these boxes. Why I do this is because with my last Nico-Drips... after putting them in my scrub pocket at work.... I would see my pocket glowing like a little christmas tree due to the slow changing LED I have rigged up so that it is on when the main power is on. shortening them removes that risk.

There are discussions on using LEDs as to not being safe. An LED requires such a small amount of voltage that there are fears that it will drain a protected battery beyond what it should be drained.

Vape responsibly! Either keep your batteries charged or don't even use an LED.

But by shortening the nub on the main On/Off switch.... I've never had it turn on in my pocket. So I recommend it.

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
I was just in working on the "how-to" pics and came across one that shows how the original Horn Button Switch would've looked and had to crop the picture and bring it in here for show and tell...... and to whine, yeah....

nico-driporigbutton.jpg

Look at that. Perfectly fine as it was!

But noooooooooo........ I had to think I would modify it! UGH! :mad:

Let this be a lesson to others...... know when to stop! A mild modder is better than a wild modder! Say "No" to your Dremel! Be strong and know who's boss!

Don't fear the Button!

What was I thinking?... that I could turn it into the little round tactile switch or something?!? :lol:

Poor lil' Horn Button Buddy... :cry:

Last edited:

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
An idea a friend of mine had was to epoxy the battery connector further into the box so the atomizer would be halfway inside the box leaving less tube exposed. Just throwin it out there.

I wouldn't do that with a 510 atomizer.... it would too easily melt the plastic box. Night be good with an 801 though?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SusanB, oh, don't get me started on airbrushes! I know it's off topic but I'll say this to anyone interested..... I would recommend a Badger 360 for anyone going to buy their first. So versatile and easy to clean.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gk7319, I think your mod looks fine! Especially if it a first mod?.. OMG! I gotta get over there and see it again... my brother pointed it out to me this morning. Very intriguing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay..... beingbekah got me too curious......... I had to test my tubing. So last night at work I did not remove my outside tubing on my Nico-Drip and put a cap on it like I normally do. I removed the two clear tubing connectors and put just the one small tube on, threw it in my pocket and left.

For anyone that has ever seen my Mod-Box..... well....... you could only guess what my pockets must be like! Imagine large scrub uniform pockets with pens, project boxes and, yes, I even carry a little set of fold-up pliers in them! I'm weird, okay, but I'm a good CNA. LoL!

Anyhow... the darned tubing held up and never leaked or flooded once! I vaped freely on my breaks, on my lunch and for the first time ever.... never once had to pull the cart off and refill! I'm still vaping and still have not pulled the cart off! My atomizer never flooded once. I lost not a drop of juice!

I use what I kind of call the "training wheel drip method"..... I leave my cart modded with the blue foam and simply inject the juice into it. That way you do not guess at how many drops or anything. It might be my "training wheels" but I may never stop doing it this way. I'm not one who likes to wa$te juice.

And last night I thought, "Ya know... deitra is right..... that overly modded button aint so bad!" I almost even decided it was going to stay. But no... I modded it a bit too much and the tab needs to be raised a bit.

As for comfortable and maneuverable....... Oh my..... very nice! This one does not matter if you are right or left handed..... does not matter if you press the switch with your thumb or finger.

We need to come up with a source for metal fittings and tubing that everyone can easily acquire. I'm going to see about finding my calipers and doing some measuring.

Oh....... and I'm way too nicotined-up right now...... gotta drop my 24mg level. You're all to blame! I'm BlamingBekah! :lol:

Will post more pics when I pretty it up a bit.

beingbekah

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
N Georgia
(ker-snip)

Okay..... beingbekah got me too curious.......

(snippity)

Oh....... and I'm way too nicotined-up right now...... gotta drop my 24mg level. You're all to blame! I'm BlamingBekah! :lol:

Will post more pics when I pretty it up a bit.

Sowwy. :(

I, for one, am not so worried about pretty, I'm more worried about functionality (just my opinion, I know). I've been toying with a couple ideas for an auto-drip mod, and yours may just be do-able (by me).

Syked to hear that it didn't leak and that you're still working on it. Looking awesome. :thumbs:

misterD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
worster - crappychusetts
hey, DnC (dreamsNchains). can you tell me why you didnt go needle through connector feeding straight to the atty? connman mentioned that you worked on it for a while but had no success somehow. also would you mind posting a pic of the hole on the cart that the tube goes in? i was thinking that maybe the bottle and cart/tubing could go outside the box. being removable so that you could attach it to other devices maybe with the use of magnets or velcro... do you work at a hospital? im planning on using iv tubings think would that work? thanks DnC!!:)
heres a feeding atty video
YouTube - Feeding Atty

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
To be completely honest with you, I'm not worried about pretty either. I don't think any of us are. We all want comfort, durability, dependability and great vape in taste and throat hit.... charges to last longer than 2 hours..... juice fills to last longer than 20 minutes.

Yeah.... if you knew me.... you'd know I'm not worried about prettying something up. But.... appearance is also comforting, attaching, thought-provoking, ambiance, etc. It either draws one in or repulses them. It feels better than sucking on something that looks like I ripped it out of some kids Teddy Ruskin!

In vapes as in Life...... pretty don't hurt.

Especially when it is incorporated into functionality. This pretty is functional beauty. Just as the inside is more beautiful to me than the outside was. The "pretty" slow changing LED serves several important purposes..... but it's damned pretty too!
  • see the juice level in the dark
  • see the fluid flow in the dark
  • locate where you left the damned thing in day or night!
  • locate where you set it in your vehicle while driving in the dark
  • see that the main switch was left on
  • depending on tubing size, time how long you squeeze the bottle before flooding your atty
This one is a workhorse. This one will be with the owner for a very long time. It would behoove the modder to take some time and get it right and consider it worth their while to personalize if they want. Just makes it all the sweeter.

On this one, I plan on experimenting a bit to see what someone could do if they wanted and the end result. I'm pleased with it so far. And the pretty counts.... you'll see.

Last edited:

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
hey, DnC (dreamsNchains). can you tell me why you didnt go needle through connector feeding straight to the atty? connman mentioned that you worked on it for a while but had no success somehow. also would you mind posting a pic of the hole on the cart that the tube goes in? i was thinking that maybe the bottle and cart/tubing could go outside the box. being removable so that you could attach it to other devices maybe with the use of magnets or velcro... do you work at a hospital? im planning on using iv tubings think would that work? thanks DnC!!:)
heres a feeding atty video

(snip)

I'll have to give that video an hour to download and see what it is. (Windstream dial-up here still) :yawn:

My brother and I have not experimented with the needle through the atty yet. It was when I was first making a juice injection tubing system and had torn apart my first atty when I considered taking the syringe I had and sticking through the bottom. We only looked it over for about 5 minutes then I returned to tearing apart everything and anything in the house that may have had small tubes and fittings in it. I've never gone back to that yet and I don't think he has either.

If I remember correctly.... what stopped us was that the metal of the needle would have to go through the positive center of the atty and then touch the negative grounded bridge. It would short the whole thing out unless coated with a nonconductive protection. That's as far as we got and we've been busy with other things since.

I want to get back over to the Modders forum and check out gk7319's "Ugly Mod" (LoL!) and see if that is what they did.

IV tubing might work... I guess it depends on the whole juice set-up and the users preference. I have large tubing inside the box but then it goes to very small tubing... ending ultimately with a very tiny opening going into the cart. Actually a 1/32 drill bit is what I used through the brass nub I have in the cart. Very tiny.... like a syringe needle.

I will take pictures of the tubing and connectors and post them when I can. I will also do my best to measure them. Anyone who has any help on this matter please chime in!

Tubes! Fittings!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread