• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Need honest reviews of the JB by some of the new ones received

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
What has me just a little bit freaked is not the wait as much as the not so favorable reviews. I totally get the learning curve. We've all dealt with that no matter what model we choose, and that's why the tips and tricks and techie forums have lots of posts and helpful answers.

Some of the things i've heard are:

• It floods. not flooding was a major selling point for me, so just how bad is it to flood once you get past the learning curve? some ppl have said it floods as soon as they screw the bottle back on. I saw carlos video of how to drain the tube a 2nd time as you're putting the bottle back on. is that a step that ppl are missing or is that not fool proof?

• I think Clumsy said it prefers VG juice. Is that what's being used when we see the clouds of vapor in the videos, and then wimpy vapor from actual users videos? the reason I ask is because I can't use VG. Plus i think it would be a TH killer. :confused:

• Carlos has redesigned the atty and don't quote me, but i think he said it doesn't run as hot or produce burnt flavor? I thought the old atty didn't produce a burnt vapor? i can't STAND burnt flavor and that's why i seldom even use my 5v passthroughs. I'm a low volter, so this is a concern, not knowing which atty i will be getting

• Others have said they've put paper in the bottle hole to block air. Again don't quote me because i have an ole lady brain and don't remember verbatim well. Someone else said if you put your finger over the atty hole or something like that, it gives a better hit.
I'm just HOPING the JB doesn't have all these issues on a regular basis. I need something that simply works. I don't want to have to start modding a mod to get it to work right. My hands are total crap, my eyes are crap. I'm looking for something to make my life easier, not more of the same.

please don't anyone jump on me for these questions. I'm italian and have bit my tongue on that kind of treatment for asking questions. trust me on that one :p

I'm just trying to figure out the difference between Porphy's great videos demo'g it and the tutorial. I know he pumped the hell out of that bottle and it didn't flood once, but that one had the little plunger button on it, not the new sculpted hole ones.

So, if anyone has gotten one of the JBTL2's or whatever they are called, can you please chime in with your honest results and tshooting snafus? Speaking for myself, it will help me in deciding what to do about the situation.

the thing that keeps me waiting is the reviews for FLAVOR and the 18650 battery. I stocked up on those, have a charger, and gave iken my 10440/14550 battery charger for his dad, so i'm SOL and back to the drawing board before my present stash of parts run dry from age.

Appreciate any info.

Last edited:

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
the thing that keeps me waiting is the reviews for FLAVOR and the 18650 battery. I stocked up on those, have a charger, and gave iken my 10440/14550 battery charger for his dad, so i'm SOL and back to the drawing board before my present stash of parts run dry from age.

Appreciate any info.

juicefreak, I got the JB due to 3 things--great convenience in feeding liquid to the atty , the long lasting atty and I liked the idea of a modder tackling the 2 main weaknesses of ecigs, which are of course having to fiddle with liquids and spend pretty good $ on atty replacement. I'm happy with the JB.

The 18650 battery lasts me into the second day. I do vape other pv's during the day however. I tend to vape heavily.

The flavor production part is where you'll get answers all over the place, depending on the user. For me nothing can beat a 401 and an 801 flavor-wise and JB would be in the middle but superior to 901, 808 and 510.

Most of the time I've used PG and had no problems with PG liquids and none with PG-VG mixes I concocted out of curiosity. My learning curve I'd say was about 3 days at least. I find the vapor production to be quite good and warm.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
I have heard from a few people that said they had flooding issues and I find that hard to believe under normal use. One of the first users made the claim that it could not be flooded but I have never TRIED to flood it, I use it like a normal person would, there is no need to push things to the extreme just to see if it can take it.

The only problem I have EVER had prior to the atomizer finally failing was the switch required constant pressure which I understand has been changed thus creating the delay in getting enough of the new style switches.

The thing with refilling it with the hole covered is news to me, I never ONCE had to blow into a hole or do ANYTHING GOOFY to replace the juice. I simply removed the old bottle and replaced with a new one or refilled that one. NO problems whatsoever, so I really don't know what some of these people are doing but they must be doing something crazy. I have no idea so I can't speak on their experience only mine.

As for the flavors and vapor it has to be experienced to truly appreciate it. Hope this helps with some questions.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
One of the things that bothers me is that reviews could always be a little more thorough and balanced. EVERY design has pros and cons, and these are to a certain degree subjective.

Longer term reviews would be nice. To me a mod is like a girlfriend, you can only really get to know them after you've lived with them for a while. A review of a product fresh out of the box, only going over points or features highlighted by the maker and blowing a cloud or two of vape is of limited use to me. Same thing for a post of 'eh, it sucks, i'm selling mine'. Such superficial acrimonious hype and counter hype doesn't do anyone any favors, especially Carlos.

What's nice about the jb and other proof of concepts out there is that they promise to make vaping available and attractive to the now still smoking masses. Reasonably priced, low maintenance, easy to operate mods are a win for everyone.

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
It floods like CRAZY. Okay, say you've properly blown it out and are enjoying the vape (huge vapor, terribly bad throat hit, natch)... you decide it's time to cautiously give the bottle a nudge. After doing so, the burnt taste lingers, so you give it another go... queue the dreaded gurgling sound. Now you can wait an hour or so before it starts vaping properly again, or just blow it out. It is an extremely finicky device, and one that seems like it shouldn't have made it past the beta stage. Or, maybe I'm just ......ed. Let's see what others have to say about it.

matrixdutch

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
U.S.
Ugh. Throat hit is a huge issue for me. That's disheartening. :(

It floods like CRAZY. Okay, say you've properly blown it out and are enjoying the vape (huge vapor, terribly bad throat hit, natch)... you decide it's time to cautiously give the bottle a nudge. After doing so, the burnt taste lingers, so you give it another go... queue the dreaded gurgling sound. Now you can wait an hour or so before it starts vaping properly again, or just blow it out. It is an extremely finicky device, and one that seems like it shouldn't have made it past the beta stage. Or, maybe I'm just ......ed. Let's see what others have to say about it.

Stormynights

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bristow, Ok.
Ugh. Throat hit is a huge issue for me. That's disheartening. :(

I think this is something each person has to decide on an individual basis. We don't all use the same juice or power. Maybe if we could compare previous choice atomizers and volts it would be easier to decide if the JB will work for you. Someone needs to start a poll.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
It is too bad we can't just get together for a JB vape party....
You mean all 10 of you that actually have a JB :rolleyes: That's going to be quite the shin-dig.:lol:

Back on topic: I have to say the reviews on this thing seem to be at the most extreme ends of the spectrum of any device I have seen. It is either the best thing ever, or it sucks hind tit. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.:?:

Kismayaz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Central FL
If you have no throat hit on your juicebox you are surely not using it right. It has its getting used to, but it's not rocket science.

Juicefreak -

I've never done that "remove the bottle, cover hole, blow out atty thing" If it floods, you just get to enjoy the flavor until it burns up enough juice to continue producing vapor. Once you get that dry burnt sensation, you give it a half pump or less. Repeat as needed. Don't put paper or anything else inside your box or whatever. You can use whatever juice you want with it. It works the same as in any other PV. VG = more vapor, less TH. PG = less vapor, more TH. Same principle applies here. Don't get too wound up in all the "mods to the mod" ideas. The idea already works as described once you get the hang of it. Don't stress yourself out.

Last edited:

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
thank you SO much guys! i really appreciate having a productive conversation about it.

snarky, you and i sound similar in what we're looking ,so i should enjoy it. at this point, i'm 99% about the flavor and just a relaxing vape. Flavor from carlos custom atty was a major sell feature. My best vape is when i've let my ecig sit overnight and that first vape is all FLAvOR. the rest of the day, probably from continual use, the flavor wanes to zilch sometimes, and it's only about keeping the atty dripped and batteries charged. 1/2 the time i wonder why i bother when there is little flavor.

so it sounds like burnt is from letting it dry out too much, the same as any atty would do? flooding, i've seen from carlos last video, vapor is non-existent and needs to be cleared. i guess that's what prompted my question about the JB2 without the plunger. It seems like those are more easily flooded because of the finger on the bottle effect with different strengths of ppl's hands. I shouldn't have that problem, because my hands are so weak i can't squeeze water out of a sponge worth a crap. hopefully that's the reason for the flooding and not because of the bottle itself, versus yours Snarky and Porphy's with the plunger.

MHR7331 something definitely isn't right with your box. that's insane to have that much trouble from a seasoned vaper that knows how to vape. i would say send it in to carlos for a looksee, but no way i'd want to do that either as much as i love carlos. he has enough on his plate getting boxes out the door. that's why i asked in the other thread about atty replacement. i don't want to deal with repairs that i can do myself with the new connector.

or maybe you could do a video of what it's doing and it can be troubleshot that way?

i've got to get my nic lowered bigtime (shortness of breath, wake up in the middle of the night with body vibrations like i have a massive TENS unit hooked up to my entire body) and this was another reason for choosing the JB above all others. less nic without sacrificing TH is what i'm looking for.

Keep the dialog going. I think this is a great way to really help those of us waiting and those of you that have them and are unhappy with them.

Kismayaz thank you! the thought of modding a mod and troubleshooting a new device was really killing me. my husband shakes his head every day watching what i have to go through to keep these e-cigs functioning properly. HE'S hoping the JB will free me up from that too :D He still smokes analogs and has cut back from heart vessel (stent) issues. Everytime I tell him to try vaping, he's like, naw I think I'll pass. Thus another reason for the JB. for HIM. if it's trouble free, i know it can help him get off cigs once and for all. He claims he can cold turkey it 'when he's ready', but the last year and several tries by him has proven that theory wrong :p

thanks so much guys

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
i've got to get my nic lowered bigtime (shortness of breath, wake up in the middle of the night with body vibrations like i have a massive TENS unit hooked up to my entire body) ...

Off topic a little, but thought it may be helpful to the OP...
I used to get that "body shake" thing quite a bit, always seemed like it was when I was trying to go to sleep, or waking in the middle of the night with it. It was pretty weird, my leg muscles or arms would just start firing randomly. I thought it was the nic too, but once I switched to VG juice instead of PG, it disappeared completely. I still use 36mg juice, but with the VG, I have none of those problems. That wasn't the reason I went to VG. It was because of the constant dry/sore throat that PG gave me. I also used to get sore teeth when I was using PG, and that went away too.

Just thought I'd mention it to you because when I lowered my nic and still used PG, it didn't help at all, just made me want a cig.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
thx highping. i have awful dryness too. I had a skin/cartilage graft inside my nose this year and i'm a bit freaked about dealing with the dryness.

yes, i can wake up from a sound sleep and my body is going beserk with tremor like vibrations. i had some heart problems and TIA's in the past that caused similar, so i assumed the nic was causing my blood vessels to spasm. I've been avoiding going to a cardio until i can get this vaping thing resolved.

VG makes my nose run like a faucet and gastro problems. Sometimes i'll add a little VG to my PG just to keep my nose lubricated, but more than a drop or two and i have problems.

That's why i know i'm going to have to just quit vaping entirely within a year. I'm really hoping the JB will help me hit it = be satisfied and lay it down for long stretches because of the satisfaction factor.

i will give VG a shot again though. thank you so much. i was suspecting PG allergy, but wasn't sure.

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
I got mine on Saturday! I have to say I was a little let down due to the wait but have noticed it getting better every day. Starting to get TH and vapor finally but the flooding thing is killin me. I've lost more juice out of the box from flooding than vaping.
I went into this knowing all the issues and refuse to give up! I'll post more as time goes by but my initial thoughts are this...when it fires, it's GREAT! This is what keeps me going knowing that it'll be worth it in the end. Kinda like fishing, standing all day for one dumb bite...I hate fishing!

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
I got mine on Saturday! I have to say I was a little let down due to the wait but have noticed it getting better every day. Starting to get TH and vapor finally but the flooding thing is killin me. I've lost more juice out of the box from flooding than vaping.
I went into this knowing all the issues and refuse to give up! I'll post more as time goes by but my initial thoughts are this...when it fires, it's GREAT! This is what keeps me going knowing that it'll be worth it in the end. Kinda like fishing, standing all day for one dumb bite...I hate fishing!

oh crap i hate dealing with flooding. does it get in your mouth too? juice mouth is horrid. if it at least doesn't travel up that far, it will be a blessing lol.

let us know how you cure the flooding problem. i'm concerned because my hands are weak, i may actually push too hard to get any oomph to push it and it will be too much. seems like that little plunger thing must have had a spring to not over plunge it? i still like the new design better because it looked that that plunger could break off in a pocket.

is it working better now storm?

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
I think I finally discovered my problem with the flooding, it was actually leaking where the wires are epoxied to the atty. I just added some epoxy at the hole and no leaking all day! I lost about 10 ml of precious juice before I figured it out but so far so good.

I actually read about another tip that seems to work pretty well also...it's a little weird but it works. If you're having any trouble with flooding, just turn the thing upside down and vape. I mean upside down so the button is actually towards your chin rather than on the top facing up. Don't ask why it works like that but trust me it does. I'm still hoping mine is still breaking in as, I'm still unable to use it as exclusively as I'd hoped.
I still can't seem to put my other PV's aside for tooo long.
Hope this helps.

jcamacho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Corpus Christi, Texas
I received one of my JBs this afternoon and discovered that a Rath juice 10ml from LiteCig fits perfectly and tonight I'm getting good vapor and taste from it. The Blueberry is excellent, a little strong tasting because I had on hand 24mg strength but oh my, this is the way it should taste. I tried it on my other mods but none can compare to this. All it needs is a little push on the bottle and if it gurgles at first (flood?) all you have to is blow it back through the mouthpiece until the gurgle is gone and you're off to the races. Excellent! Excellent! I ordered mine on Jan.6 and I received an email today stating it was shipping out next week, I bought this one off of Yepster-thank you Yep.

Last edited:

pigspleen

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Saskatchewan
I received one of my JBs this afternoon and discovered that a Rath juice 10ml from LiteCig fits perfectly and tonight I'm getting good vapor and taste from it. The Blueberry is excellent, a little strong tasting because I had on hand 24mg strength but oh my, this is the way it should taste. I tried it on my other mods but none can compare to this. All it needs is a little push on the bottle and if it gurgles at first (flood?) all you have to is blow it back through the mouthpiece until the gurgle is gone and you're off to the races. Excellent! Excellent! I ordered mine on Jan.6 and I received an email today stating it was shipping out next week, I bought this one off of Yepster-thank you Yep.

wow you'll probably get yours before i get mine and i ordered a month before you.....ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread