NET: Best extraction method to minimise coil gunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
I have recently made a few adjustments with my equipment. Gunking just seems to be the nature of the beast with NET extractions. I wrap my coils on a 6-32 threaded screw, always have. Although I have used micro coils some, I've just never been a big fan of them. I know that's debatable among a lot of vapers but it's just my preference, they seem to gunk quicker to me. ymmv. After I wrap them I actually space them just a little more. Had always used peaches and cream cotton yarn or organic cotton balls but recently moved to Koh Gen Do cotton and upped my wire gauge to 30 ga usually wrapping at five or six wraps coming out at around 1.5 to 1.8 ohms. But the KGD cotton seems to be a game changer for me. Much better performance, flavor and extended coil life, and also reduced the extract percentages down to 12 to 15% max. I normally mix around 60/40 pg/vg but have recently upped nic from 12 to 14, that maybe not such a good thing. Anyway hope this helps. Re-wicking often has just become part of it for me, but is well worth it.

funkymeatball

Jan 15, 2015
Vienna
I have recently made a few adjustments with my equipment. Gunking just seems to be the nature of the beast with NET extractions. I wrap my coils on a 6-32 threaded screw, always have. Although I have used micro coils some, I've just never been a big fan of them. I know that's debatable among a lot of vapers but it's just my preference, they seem to gunk quicker to me. ymmv. After I wrap them I actually space them just a little more. Had always used peaches and cream cotton yarn or organic cotton balls but recently moved to Koh Gen Do cotton and upped my wire gauge to 30 ga usually wrapping at five or six wraps coming out at around 1.5 to 1.8 ohms. But the KGD cotton seems to be a game changer for me. Much better performance, flavor and extended coil life, and also reduced the extract percentages down to 12 to 15% max. I normally mix around 60/40 pg/vg but have recently upped nic from 12 to 14, that maybe not such a good thing. Anyway hope this helps. Re-wicking often has just become part of it for me, but is well worth it.

I have the impression that flavour is more intense if the coil windings are slightly apart. At least with my Nautilus mini.
I'm using Muji 4 layer cotton. It is supposed to be a good replacement for KGD cotton.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFpt1l2CibM

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Do you have the impression that while the flavour gets more intense over the weeks also the "gunk factor" ;-) increases or does the "gunk factor" reach a plateau earlier?

NETs are as gunky at birth as they are at six months old, time doesn't really seem to make much of a difference in the "gunk" factor as far as I can tell.

Multiplicity

Mar 9, 2015
Central US
I've performed hot and cold extractions using VG, PG, PGA, purified water and various mixtures of these as the extraction solvent in tobacco macerations. Pure PGA provides the cleanest but only after you've remove the oils it extracts. All solvents/methods produce an extract that will gunk coils/wicks faster than synthetic flavorings and while filtration mitigates this to an extent it doesn't cure the effect entirely. The benefits of filtration seem to taper off at around 2 micron retention, higher levels of filtration provide only marginal improvement in performance while simultaneously reducing flavor strength.

The best tasting and performing extract I've been able to achieve involves running concurrent cold PGA/water and hot PG/water extractions that are ultimately combined, filtered and then reduced by evaporating off all the PGA and water yielding a highly concentrated extract that I use at < 10%.

That's some wizard-level extraction, right there. Simply amazing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread