Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hi I'm a new member and I have also just made my first batch of DIY vape juice not to sure about the steep process but my flavours ain't spot on yet but I will get there with some help
Hi, @Jenko. And, welcome to ECF!
13.gif

Are you a juice Calculator user? Congratulations on completing your first DIY batch. Well done!:thumbs:

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I have quite a few ingredients (50+?) that have cost and on-hand inventory, but no vendor or purchase date, and are attached to recipes (refugees from before I started using JC and tracking that data). I just looked at 3 or 4 of them, and none of them displayed a "Cost/ml was not provided for all ingredients" warning.

I wonder if the problem came about because the "Volume" field wasn't filled out under the "Cost" of the ingredient??

Reactions: IDJoel

oly_r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
Marylandistan
Thank you so much. I needed to add nic to some zero juice and had started a thread seeking info on what calculator would show that for me. One of the responses pointed me to yours and told me what it was called (nicshot or shortfill) and how to do it. I had been using vape tool on my phone just so i could have it next to me while mixing. Love your calc.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
One of the responses pointed me to yours and told me what it was called (nicshot or shortfill) and how to do it.
Hi oly!
I'm glad it is working out for you. @HotRod19579 really did create a wonderful tool (maybe, "suite of tools" would be a better description)!:thumbs:
This is the right thread, if you have any further questions.
:D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Okay... this is a call-out to all of the other JC users, that might still be following this thread. We have a fellow ECFer, @Punk In Drublic, who is wanting to know how to modify an existing recipe. Here is one of their more detailed posts:
How do people modify their existing mixes? Or am I just thinking way too far outside the box? Which is entirely possible

You make 20ml, vape 1.5ml of that but feel the flavoring needs to be adjusted. How do you go about performing such task with a level of accuracy? Or you just change your mind with a recipe but wish to incorporate what you already made into something new. Example: I made a Banana Cream, but after sampling a bit of it I feel it would do better as a Banana Cream Pie. I wish to maintain my percentages but add the needed flavours to create the “pie” part.

Ok….working on a Excel calculator!
Punk has JC, and asked what might work. I have a few thoughts, but I wanted more minds on this than just my sorry one. So, anyone is welcome to chime in. Thanks!:)

I think(?) the "Modify existing recipe" function (under the "tools" tab) will do all but change an existing ingredient to the recipe.
-- It allows for a reduced starting volume (so the user can account for e-liquid already vaped).
-- It allows adjusting (increasing) percentages; and displays the extra concentrate to be added (only the addition... it does not include the original amount), in both mL and grams.
-- It will allow the introduction of new (not previously used) ingredients.

Here is a test recipe for example:
(Note the nic is zero, and the recipe size is 10 mL)
upload_2019-5-28_5-11-23.png

Now, the same recipe, with the Modify window:
upload_2019-5-28_5-24-33.png

(click on image to enlarge)

Now, the same thing; but with the volume reduced:
upload_2019-5-28_5-51-31.png

Everything still looks good to me.

In this final screen shot, I have added an additional ingredient:
upload_2019-5-28_6-6-7.png

So, to me, this looks(?) like it is doing everything @Punk In Drublic was looking for, with the one exception of changing a preexisting ingredient to something else. And that doesn't make sense to me; only in that you can't remove an ingredient once it is mixed in. That requires a new mix. Yes?

Punk, the one other thing you might want to do, is read the Help file on this tool. Open Help, and under "Contents," open the page for "Modify recipe."
upload_2019-5-28_6-13-14.png

HotRod also has a second entry, also addressing the Modify Recipe function, under the heading "Modify existing mix."
upload_2019-5-28_6-17-42.png

I hope that gives you at least a starting point. Feel free to post any questions, or tell me that is not what you are wanting to do, and set me straight.:D I apologize if I misunderstood you.

Right now, I am running on fumes, so I am off to bed. I will check back once I am coherent.
:)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
To note: The Target Amount will scale depending on the Default Percentage one has set within the flavour they wish to add. Should they change the percentage within the modified recipe, the Target Amount does not change to reflect this unless they are increasing the percentage. Not a problem (in my opinion), but should be noted if the Default Percentage differs from what one wishes to use and should they wish to make a minimal amount for the modified recipe. The Target Amount can be edited, but will not allow a lower than needed volume. Nice touch!

Last edited:

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Ahh.. Now this is my specialty! Been doing it ever since I found the Modify Existing Recipe function.

I think it might have been incorrectly stated that you can't lower an existing ingredient's percentage.. Actually you can, but of course only by adding more of all the other ingredients - to which it will tell you how much. And of course you can't magically remove any ingredients -- only add others till it's percentage is infinitesimally small, at 1 million milliliters of resulting mix. :eek:

And yep, the Target Amount goes up automatically, but you have to manually lower it. While adjusting percentages, I'll have to periodically lower it down to make sure it will fit in the container it's in (unless I decide to transfer to a bigger container).

This is one area I hoped for improvement upon, since ingredients added will not be deducted from inventory from here. Nor will it allow you to overwrite the current recipe. But still - simply amazing that such a feature is here at all!

Of course one thing is needed for this to be easy: known bottle markings. (And using pre-mixed base helps, too.. But that's another can of worms. :) )

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
This does exactly what I am looking for :thumbs:. Bit boggled how I missed this! Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked

It also confirms my Excel calculator is correct which is rewarding to know.

@IDJoel – again, thank you for your efforts, very much appreciated.
You're most welcome. And, thank you for your patience. I am glad it was worth the wait. :)
Ahh.. Now this is my specialty! Been doing it ever since I found the Modify Existing Recipe function.

I think it might have been incorrectly stated that you can't lower an existing ingredient's percentage.. Actually you can, but of course only by adding more of all the other ingredients - to which it will tell you how much. And of course you can't magically remove any ingredients -- only add others till it's percentage is infinitesimally small, at 1 million milliliters of resulting mix. :eek:

And yep, the Target Amount goes up automatically, but you have to manually lower it. While adjusting percentages, I'll have to periodically lower it down to make sure it will fit in the container it's in (unless I decide to transfer to a bigger container).

This is one area I hoped for improvement upon, since ingredients added will not be deducted from inventory from here. Nor will it allow you to overwrite the current recipe. But still - simply amazing that such a feature is here at all!

Of course one thing is needed for this to be easy: known bottle markings. (And using pre-mixed base helps, too.. But that's another can of worms. :) )
Thanks for the correction and clarification, @Hoggy. You are absolutely right. And, I didn't even think about inventory management. Great feedback! :D

Michael_S

Jun 9, 2018
Hello

I just tried to import 'pasted text' from a recipe. Actually it imports the recipe. But, It adds also the flavors. I renamed - in this instance Strawberry Ripe to Strawberry Ripe (TPA) as it is stated in the recipe. But still, it adds it as a new flavor.

Probably I'm doing something wrong. But not sure what it is.

Just figured it out. I have to adjust the name of the manufacturer TPA. With that, It just works. I have to clean up my database.

Last edited:

Michael_S

Jun 9, 2018
Regarding to my previous post. May be the way I would like to see it is not possible. Let's say I import a recipe which contains Strawberry from FA instead of TPA. The TPA version is the one which I already have. Now it automatically adds the FA Flavor. Since I will substitute FA with TPA, I will delete the FA flavor. Because otherwise I might get a huge flavor list. Is there a way to show the new flavor in recipes only temporarily?

I hope it's understandable what I mean. I see there is an folder option in the flavor editor. Not sure if that may help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread