New guy around with particular need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, new around this wheel thing...and completely lost.

Been smoking for about 16 years....when I went in the army to serve in the reserve armed forces a long time ago...

Now serving as a cop and still smoking. About 1.5 pack a day...from what i've read so far, I must stay away from cig look alike....but still lost in what my options are. Got a baby underway and I'd really love quitting for good not to show bad habit...and to save some bucks....and stay around for a while to see the kid grow...

The special thing is I'm cop and I carry my pack of smoke around on the job for 10 hour shifts...so the unit I'll be going for either need to be pretty tough or be into some hard cover casing to survive a day on the job: jumping fences, running after bad guys and sometimes the grappel and ground fighting that may happen even if you rpefer not to...and also need survivability battery wise cause I don't have access to much power source while on patrol in squad car.

Thanks for the help.

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
Welcome to ECF! Don't be so sure about staying away from the cig-a-likes. They don't have the battery life of some of the bigger PVs, but they work great for a lot of people (myself included). At the end of the day, the best solution is the one that works for you, not the one that gets recommended the most.

That said, I'm a big fan of Smokeless Image. They have cig-a-likes (Volt series) and bigger batteries (X2 series). Both are built well, produce great vapor, and all of their parts are interchangeable. Another thing to look into is possibly a wired unit to use at home or in the car. As long as you have a cigarette lighter in your squad car, you'll have something that works.

also green eyes...since you seems to be using cig-a-likes....how long are the batteries good for...got only limited amount of space either in the bullet proof vest or cargo pockets on the job...so 1 battery to last for the whole shift is a must...being stranded on a crime scene perimeter for 5-6 hours without cigarettes is awefull...so I gues without batteries would be the same...

BuffaloBob

Sep 26, 2012
Buffalo
hi, Welcome & good luck. I smoked for 42 years and quit about 5 weeks ago. If I can do it, anyone can. What first occurs to me is how does your department feel about electronic cigarettes ? Is it something you have to keep hidden ? Do you ride with a partner everyday ? Do you have access to the cigarette lighter (power source) ?

I'm new to this myself but I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas from the good people here. You've come to the right place for support tho you made this post kind of late at night. You may have to bump this thread up in the morning to make sure it doesn't get buried. I'll check in tomorrow to see if you're getting a response. Having a baby is probably the BEST reason in the world to quit, good for you !

Bluesrains

Jul 6, 2012
USA
Hi there, new around this wheel thing...and completely lost.

Been smoking for about 16 years....when I went in the army to serve in the reserve armed forces a long time ago...

Now serving as a cop and still smoking. About 1.5 pack a day...from what i've read so far, I must stay away from cig look alike....but still lost in what my options are. Got a baby underway and I'd really love quitting for good not to show bad habit...and to save some bucks....and stay around for a while to see the kid grow...

The special thing is I'm cop and I carry my pack of smoke around on the job for 10 hour shifts...so the unit I'll be going for either need to be pretty tough or be into some hard cover casing to survive a day on the job: jumping fences, running after bad guys and sometimes the grappel and ground fighting that may happen even if you rpefer not to...and also need survivability battery wise cause I don't have access to much power source while on patrol in squad car.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Racoon,

Well, I can tell you, I was a 2 pack a day and more analog (cigarette) smoker for over 40 years. I loved smoking and chain smoked pack after pack. It took me 2 hours in the morning, just to stop caughing. I tried every type of method to quit, none worked for me. Then I bought an ecig. At first I thought it wasnt that great. The draw was hard and it just wasn't the same feel as a real cigarette. But I hung in there. I went online and found site after site loaded with info and soon found a better longer lasting battery system to use. There are batteries (the power source of ecigs) that last all day long. Depending on how often you smoke, there's a size for you that would last while you're working.

You mention that you need to run, jump fences, and more to catch the bad guys. All the more reason to switch to vaping!! You're going to feel so much better and stronger. You'll be able to smell and taste things again! And when you have to run, you wont be gasping for air! I havnt had any weight gain or chest pain since I switched to vaping.
My house smells great and when I get up in the morning now...I just smile at how good I feel since I dont cough any more. Its the best thing Ive ever done for myself.
Just keep reading on these forums and you'll find all the information youre looking for. Meanwhile do a search online, and check out the many great e-cig stores to see the variety of options you have for an all day vape (ecig).
I wish you all the best. ;)

Smoke free since-8/8/12

Last edited:

LouP

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi racoon186..welcome!!

There's nothing wrong with starting with Smokeless Image stick types I did nine months ago and they worked for me. For noobies now I think an ego twist is great and/or a passthrough battery that you can plug in to either a cigarette lighter (which I don't think they have anymore) or into your computer through a usb port. You won't have to carry it on you, just in the car and take with on breaks.
If you go to the Canada forum you'll find a sticky where you can request a list of canadian vendors thereby "obeying" the law!:)

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
It's good to see a cop vaping, I wish it was more common. I'm out in the country, and any cop that sees me vaping thinks it's... something else. It never ends well. But as someone who has family and friends who are cops, I have immense respect for what you do.

Wish I could help with suppliers up your way, but most US suppliers do ship internationally if you can't find any. You'd be waiting forever for shipping though. There is a Canada regional forum on here, so that could probably get you going in the right direction.

Gypzy.Mama

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2012
Beaumont, Texas (for now)
Welcome to ECF!!! I started out on a cig-alike, 2 actually that I still keep for emergency usage. For me (former PAD smoker for about 10 years), the battery life just wasn't good enough. I got tired of having to throw one on the charger every couple of hours because I was vaping like crazy. Thanks to everyone here, I upgraded to a 900mAh Vision Spinner (may be a bit big for your job though) and a mini ViVi Nova tank. Love them for around the house. Finally got my fiance's kit in the mail a couple of days ago, and I ended up stealing half of it. :oops: We've got 2 350mAh batteries, a Kanger T2 (not a huge fan of the short wicks on it), and a few 22mm Smoketech clearos. I love the Nova and Kanger. Nova holds 2.0mL, Kanger holds 2.4mL. I'm looking at ordering some larger 1.8mL clearos (these only hold .7mL). I got about 5 hours on the 350mAh, with some fairly heavy vaping. My Nova will generally last me most of the day. The 350s with clearo or even a tank like the mini Nova or Kanger are pretty pocket friendly in terms of size. The kit that the batteries came in is fairly sturdy. My 2 year old has dropped it several times and sat on it twice, and all the contents are just fine. Hope that helps! I'll come back and edit with some pics. :D

Last edited:
wow...for a post this late at night...It's amazing the amount of answer...thanks for these..will look up what you told.

buffalo: regarding my department view...they don't want us to smoke in squad cars but I do it anyway and my permanent partner lives with it...but he'll be happy if I swiotch...so nobody willcomplain...got used to hiding the smeel and such away...so it'll just be easier from now on.

Greeneyes: yeah I hear you on the ''thinking it's something else...but we've found folks who modded their stuff for drugs too on the street...so it's always tough calls...

muriarte: thanks for the indestructible referal..will look it up right away

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Hi racoon186 and welcome to ECF. Tough job and my hat's off to you. Lottsa suppliers up here. After 5 posts wait 1 hr for the ECF servers to reset and request a Cdn Vendors list via pm:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...w-nic-supplier-list-via-pm-only-part-2-a.html
You're prolly going to need a Tube Mod of some type. When buying realize Battery Info: 100 mah= 1 hr normal vaping before recharge. With a Tube Mod you can get either get 1000 mah to 3000 mah- more than enuff to last a shift. The next issue would be having enuff juice on hand. There are delivery devices that hold anywhere from 1 ml top 5 ml- normal vaping is about 3-5 ml per day, more when you first begin. Brother in Law's son just signed on with Toronto Police Force. Will be back with more info.

Last edited:

B.Traven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
FL
Why stay away from cig-alikes? Nothing wrong with 'em if they work for you and remember: not everything you read here's gonna be right for you. Maybe try a bunch of stuff at home first over a weekend or something, find what works for you. Whatever you start with, you're probably gonna change to something else anyway. No matter what, if you stick with it, you'll be glad you did and you'll save some bucks besides.

And for god sakes, find something that works for you before you go out in the field with it. Like Eddie Murphy's line about the lack of female companionship making you brave, lack of nicotine--or even a sharp reduction--makes you cranky, especially after a day or two. I suspect you could poll a bunch of spouses here to confirm that opinion. And with a pregnant wife, well... you'll find out.

Of course, being cranky and unreasonable is practically a job requirement for U.S. cops, but I don't think that's the way of your people, eh? Keep smiling and press on regardless.

btraven

well the stay away from cig-a-like might just be in my head....but since I want to QUITT smoking...anything that look like a cigarette just don't feel right in my head...and also with the kid underway...I want the unit to look like anything but a cigarette NOT TO SHOW it's one...and to prevent the kid from seing his father ''smoking'' and not associating it with the thing and prevent bat exposure...

I might be a bit over reacting but my parents used to smoke like thug boat when I was a kid.....so I want mine to stay away from it...

And B.Traven...being cranky keeps us alive...but unreasonnable..up north it put us up on the front page of media...so cranky a bit depending on who we deal with...but unreasonable it a no go since it gives us too much exposure!!! ;)

knonic18

Unregistered Supplier
Oct 28, 2012
Des Moines, IA
Hey Racoon, I wish you the best in your future with e-cigs. I work as a correctional officer at a prison and I don't have to run nearly as often as you, but I would recommend the Joyetech ego style. It is quite durable and the kits always come with two batteries so you have a backup one if by chance you are a heavy smoker and end up vaping a lot. But I have had the battery last for two days on many occassions with what I would consider heavy vaping (clearing the tank two or three times). They are sturdy units with the atomizer on them but you can easily put a clearomizer on it and use that when you are not at work. From my experience I have had it in a pocket and bent over, knelt down or sqwatted and the clearomizers have a tendency to crack and break under a decent side pressure but can withstand a drop in most cases. Some of the cheaper "No brand" ego style batteries you will want to steer away from due to quality control issues and the batteries not lasting worth a darn. You will get over 300 recharges out of the Joyetech brand if not more.

Best of luck and thank you for your work.

LouP

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2012
Ontario, Canada
+1 for Dickyg. Keep it simple, have a backup, and try not to worry so much about the baby. It will be awhile before he/she is ready to judge you.:) You'll also probably have gone through a few different setups by the time baby arrives.

For me, the stick styles were what kept my sanity at first just because I could hold it in my hand like a cig. I Always had it in my hand. Now I almost always have my twist in my hand.
Whatever you choose though, you'll be surprised at how quickly you take to it. And then...the really fun part. Trying out different flavours of juice!!
There is a place just outside of Montreal where you can actually look at and hold different products.

Before you know it you'll be sharing your success with others on this forum! Good Luck!

B.Traven

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
FL
racoon186:

That's good thinking about not looking like a cigarette in front of the kids, it sounds like you're going to be a great dad. And the cranky cops thing was not meant to be taken overly seriously, mostly it was a jab at a particular species of cop in the U.S., so-called "black-glove cops" and I'm sure you know what I mean. Probably no different in Canada,

The serious point was that withdrawal from nicotine can change, for a few days, a person's notion of what reasonable behavior is. I became much more easily angered and, at the time, thought it was perfectly justifiable. Looking back, I can see that I was over-reacting to stuff that normally I would have blown off. It passed after about a week. Of course, that's just me, you'd have to ask around to find out what other people experienced.

btraven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread