new memeber new mod. Variable Ohm's

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpgtd

Apr 10, 2011
milwaukee, wi
well let me start off by saying I am a new memeber to ECF. I have been vaping for a little while now. I currently use a pen style PV "joye 510" stock. it is nice for on the go but like everyone I want more. so i started drawing plans for a variable voltage batter with a variablable ohm reisitor for a atty. now i have seen the VV PV's but nothing to allow the atty's to change without a different atty. I am just asking if anyone would find this as a use. this will be based off a LR atty then have the option to increase the ohm's. i want this as some vapers to not taste well warm. i do not want multiple atty's to get the taste i want.

crevenew

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2011
Arizona
Just wanted to welcome you to ECF and supply an opinion to your question "... LR atty then have the option to increase the ohm's..." any interest? I would venture the opinion that there may be an interest but folks are gun shy due to reliability of atty's and overall cost today.

Adding this functionality, in my mind , would both increase cost and lower reliability. Bottom line more risk for the buyer.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
If I understand you correctly, you'd like an atomizer that can be used with all voltages. Unfortunately, that just isn't going to happen right now. Would it be useful? Sure it would! Who wouldn't want to have one atomizer that did it all? Right now, you're just going to have to use different atomizers with different voltages if you want to change the vaping configuration.

vpgtd

Apr 10, 2011
milwaukee, wi
I am looking to use my knowledge in electris and robotics to develope the atty. so far with what i have found to do a atty that has variable ohms is to increase the size of the coil with multiple contact points. depending on the resistance you would turn a dail to select the conection points. now on my first build I was able to get 2.2 and 2.8 Ohm's. all this is was a longer coil with three contact points and a two position switch. and for my power source i am using a selectable voltage box at 3.7 volts. and after i get a good working platform going I would like to send test units out for veteran vapers to try out. And as far as cost I have made the atty for pennies.

edit:
and with the longer coil when used at the 2.8 Ohm's the amount of vaper is a lot more than at the 2.2. as the whole coil was used and not just part of it. I have not tested the flavor as right now during building I am only using a 50/50 pg/vg no nic no flavor.

Last edited:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I am looking to use my knowledge in electris and robotics to develope the atty. so far with what i have found to do a atty that has variable ohms is to increase the size of the coil with multiple contact points. depending on the resistance you would turn a dail to select the conection points. now on my first build I was able to get 2.2 and 2.8 Ohm's. all this is was a longer coil with three contact points and a two position switch. and for my power source i am using a selectable voltage box at 3.7 volts. and after i get a good working platform going I would like to send test units out for veteran vapers to try out. And as far as cost I have made the atty for pennies.

edit:
and with the longer coil when used at the 2.8 Ohm's the amount of vaper is a lot more than at the 2.2. as the whole coil was used and not just part of it. I have not tested the flavor as right now during building I am only using a 50/50 pg/vg no nic no flavor.

There's a giant thread in the modders forum on building a genesis atty. Somewhere in the middle of it someone made a similar suggestion. I haven't read the entire thread but, I did read that. They are using either ni-chrome wire or kanthal which is similar and only about 3 loops. Just from my cursory reading of the thread, I think that wire needs to be replaced now and then. So, whatever you come up with, will have to be easy to replace. Also, I'm having a hard time seeing what you are suggesting making contact anywhere but, one side of the loops. I don't think that will be enough resolution. You're the robotics guy though. I'm sure you know some tricks I don't. I'm equally sure they'd love you in the modders forum. :)

So get your post count up and check it out! :)

Oh to help your post count, look at a thread I started in the modders forum. I ask about whether a certain mosfet is suitable. I'm pretty sure it is but, some confirmation would be nice. You'll have to answer here though.

Last edited:

CBB

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pennsylvania
It is much easier to vary the voltage and have an 3Ω where you are evenly using the entire length of the atty so it will be less stressed and run through a wider temperature range than a variable Ω atty could. Once you hit 10 about watts no juice is going to take that it will pretty much all fail, burning the flavors out of it before its vaporized.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

edit:

Love to try it Vpgtd, let me know when your ready, sounds like a very interesting concept you have here.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
The same concept has been using for 2 centuries already in light dimming systems

Not really. The dimmer limits the current to the light using variable resistance in series with the bulb. The variable resistor is not part of the light bulb. To use your analogy, in this case, you would be dimming the light by varying how much of the filament in the bulb the current flows through. It's a lot more difficult proposition. Also pretty interesting, if it can be done right.

SMKNOMOR

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
salem ma
well let me start off by saying I am a new memeber to ECF. I have been vaping for a little while now. I currently use a pen style PV "joye 510" stock. it is nice for on the go but like everyone I want more. so i started drawing plans for a variable voltage batter with a variablable ohm reisitor for a atty. now i have seen the VV PV's but nothing to allow the atty's to change without a different atty. I am just asking if anyone would find this as a use. this will be based off a LR atty then have the option to increase the ohm's. i want this as some vapers to not taste well warm. i do not want multiple atty's to get the taste i want.
There is no need for a variable Ω resistor for an atty as the Ω isn't whats important as the WATTS which is worked out as such: VxV/Ω=W.

Now with a VV you adjust the volts in conjunction to Ω to find the desired wattage. If you were to adjust the Ω's that would just be redundant.

Granted a 1.5Ω cant be used over 3.7 and a 3.5Ω wont perform well at 3.7 but you can achieve similar results with a VV by simply adjusting the volts to the sweet spot for each.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I see it as an interesting exercise, but not that useful if you can vary the voltage. Since Throat Hit, Heat, and Power are one and the same and P=VV/R, you can already dial the Wattage, Power, to anything you want with a fixed resistance. Adding anything to further reduce the reliability of an atomizer and increase the expense of the atomizer, does not make much sense to me.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I see it as an interesting exercise, but not that useful if you can vary the voltage. Since Throat Hit, Heat, and Power are one and the same and P=VV/R, you can already dial the Wattage, Power, to anything you want with a fixed resistance. Adding anything to further reduce the reliability of an atomizer and increase the expense of the atomizer, does not make much sense to me.

In truth, I think you're right. It's better to use the whole atomizer to vape. OTOH It's an interesting proposition and it might yield some unexpected results. It would be nice to see it tried.

vpgtd

Apr 10, 2011
milwaukee, wi
I am no looking to make things any harder. I just think that the ecig need improvent like all the rest of the modders. now the first thing i did not like about it was the structure of the coil. A normal coil on the left the multipoint i made on the right.
normal%20coil.jpg
round%20coil.jpg

even if a multi Ohm coil doesnt work out the design here could be useful as the air tube would not get restricted.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I hope we aren't discouraging you. I find this fascinating. Have you actually tried this? First what are you using to get that many winds? Heavier gauge ni-chrome? That actually might be better because it wouldn't have to be replaced as often. Going in a circle is an ingenious way to make the heating element longer without taking up more space BTW.

This thread really does belong in the modders forum.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
No matter the shape of the coil, increasing the size would require the crucible be altered. This is the part I'd like to see designs on.

I think most of the reduced air flow we experience is due to the crucible, or cup, getting deformed or gunked.
If the coil wrapped around the wick is currently in a slot, where does the C-shaped reside? It would not help to have it sticking half out of the slot, so it would need to be reshaped.

That I find VERY interesting. Everyone who tinkers and attempts to improve these devices has my respect.

vpgtd

Apr 10, 2011
milwaukee, wi
Ok with the nichrome wire as the length and gauge change so does the resistance. so the gauge can be kept the same to get a higher Ohm as I did with my "C" shaped coil but it has a additional contact to support the added weight from the length. and as far as the cup goes during my testing I am direct dripping on a coil over a ceramic tile that I cut with a dremel. and I wound the wire around a paper clip to make them smaller. I do enjoy getting the feedback and input from all of you seeing as a modder who mods for themselves only is not a modder ar all.

if i have given you an idea feel free to change something. all my work will be done under the "TARP NCL"

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
The concept sounds like it would work, but like it was mentioned before, changing the voltage does the same thing. The higher the voltage the more power.

Also a portion of the atty will be used all the time which will wear out faster than the other end that does not get used as much. You will also have a resistive contact on the coil where you lead touches it, which will burn up that particular spot.

Maybe it will be the best thing since sliced bread idk.

Just my $.02

DropEmCigs

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
EU, Copenhagen®
Hi vpgtd.
A commercial atomizer that does about 50% of what you will do is available. You can read about it in this link, where the learned Prof. Beard makes a review of it. It might give you some inspiration or how-to info, even if you don't seem to be in particular need of that :)
Please share your developments - really interesting, since the atomizer is the "heart" of the e-cig imo. And - I do like pics of atty's w/o their caps and sealings... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread