New Provari V2 reveals the Lava Tube to be... well, crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
I see a lot of Provari owners trying to justify spending over $200 for a kit. A lot of people don't buy into the hype and are happy with LT's..sure the Provari has a higher amp limit but it did have a lower one not long ago..it also has a nice finish but so does the newer LT's maybe not quite as good but it costs about 1/3 as much for the chrome and if you don't care about finish 1/4 or less with sales..the LT will have a higher limit too and already there are some reported to have a higher one.

I don't need to justify my LT it works great at the volts I use it with the single 2.5ohm cartomizers I use..I started posting about the Provari because of all the Provari owners that felt the need to put down the LT like it was threatening to them. I got sick of reading it..I was sick of reading about it before I even owned a VV and at the time I thought the LT was overpriced because they were over $100 then being sold at one vendor..once there was competition the LT's price dropped..I think the Provape will have to lower there price with the competition of all the LT's coming to market now..the Provari is mass produced and I'm sure has a high profit margin.

The LT is a solid device for the money..the Provari is well built but priced about 2x as high as I think it's worth plus the short coming of only having 1 button (a matter of opinion but 1 button wouldn't work for me as I like to change voltages with the simple press of the buttons)..the Provari won't be able to handle low resistance much over 5v like I said in my other post not to mention the much shorter battery life with DC's on a single battery...

No need to explain man. It works for the type of cartomizers you use then that's all that matters.

From looking at video reviews, it appears as if the Provari V2 can handle low res dual coils a little past 5.5 volts. I only want 5 so it works for me. Moving past 5 with a low res dual coil is not my cup of tea.

vaptamist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
FL
Let's be honest here - you're not trying to justify why you spent 70$ on a lavatube, but in every single Provari thread I see, you're trying to justify why you DIDN'T spend 150-200$ on a Provari. The last time I saw someone this obsessed with convincing himself he made the right choice was a few months ago with that guy who kept making threads about wanting someone to take apart their Provari and photograph the internals, and saying that if someone handed him a Provari (that he had never actually held, used, or seen in person) that he would throw it in the trash because it was garbage.

It sounds like the Lavatube is working great for you. Stop trying to convince yourself, and for heaven's sake stop trying to convince everyone else.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
No need to explain man. It works for the type of cartomizers you use then that's all that matters.

From looking at video reviews, it appears as if the Provari V2 can handle low res dual coils a little past 5.5 volts. I only want 5 so it works for me. Moving past 5 with a low res dual coil is not my cup of tea.

Well 5.25v at 1.5ohms = 3.5amps..maybe higher ohms dual coils or the ones they were using were a bit higher than 1.5ohm or they were just higher ohm DC's than 1.5ohm...with a 3ohm coil you would put out the same wattage as a 1.5ohm DC at the same voltage it would just be split across 2 coils but at a higher amp cost.

The only advantage I see here is 2 separate places that juice comes in contact with the coils so a DC could feed more juice. CE2's are very efficient though in vaping juice..they use more juice at a low volt..maybe it's because of the wicks and coil placement..plus the coil is closer to the mouth piece...there can be some fiddling with them sometimes though but once they are figured out they work great.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Let's be honest here - you're not trying to justify why you spent 70$ on a lavatube, but in every single Provari thread I see, you're trying to justify why you DIDN'T spend 150-200$ on a Provari. The last time I saw someone this obsessed with convincing himself he made the right choice was a few months ago with that guy who kept making threads about wanting someone to take apart their Provari and photograph the internals, and saying that if someone handed him a Provari (that he had never actually held, used, or seen in person) that he would throw it in the trash because it was garbage.

It sounds like the Lavatube is working great for you. Stop trying to convince yourself, and for heaven's sake stop trying to convince everyone else.

Well there is a difference I am not starting threads to bash the Provari..you are dead wrong that I'm trying to convince myself on the money I spent on my $60 "LT" kit and plan on buying 1 or 2 more. I also haven't posted I would throw one in the garbage either and how many threads do you see that I started here on the front page.

I'm not even sure I started a thread in this board maybe the LT one..what I was and am sick of is one group of owners of a device (not all Provari owners and it seems to be a relatively small group of them that seem to me to be trying to convince themselves) constantly bashing the LT a lot more than people who don't own it or own other just as costly devices.

So if you want to know why I'm posting here that's why. I also haven't been saying that the Provari is bad just overpriced and missing features I would want in a VV device especially at such a high cost..also for that price I would expect a better than 2 digit display...

Last edited:

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
I don't need to justify my LT it works great at the volts I use it with the single 2.5ohm cartomizers I use..I started posting about the Provari because of all the Provari owners that felt the need to put down the LT like it was threatening to them. I got sick of reading it..I was sick of reading about it before I even owned a VV and at the time I thought the LT was overpriced because they were over $100 then being sold at one vendor..
It's not so much about being "threatened" by the LT, it's more about owners of a device that does it's job well and with consistency wanting others to have the same experience. Based on all available information, the provari does it's job more consistently than the LT. It's not productive to undermine other people's experiences, especially those who have owned both devices, with your posts in the VV mod threads. It's fine that you have your thoughts and opinions, but it will only be taken with so much weight considering you refuse to buy/try a provari (you made it a point to bring out that you had enough money to buy multiple mods, but chose not to).

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
It's not so much about being "threatened" by the LT, it's more about owners of a device that does it's job well and with consistency wanting others to have the same experience. Based on all available information, the provari does it's job more consistently than the LT. It's not productive to undermine other people's experiences, especially those who have owned both devices, with your posts in the VV mod threads. It's fine that you have your thoughts and opinions, but it will only be taken with so much weight considering you refuse to buy/try a provari (you made it a point to bring out that you had enough money to buy multiple mods, but chose not to).

My "LT" does the job I ask it to very consistently within hundredths of the volts I set it at when tested with a load. I get a lot of my opinions from owners of both devices not everyone is in love with the Provari or LT..why should I buy a 1 button device for $211+ in a kit when I know I won't like it and it won't do better than the "LT" I own for what I use it at for about 1/4 the cost.

Is it really productive of you to comment on what I say and try to undermine my opinion when you know it's not going to change anything?..not really but you're going to do it just like I'm going to keep posting my opinion when I see fit as long as I see fit and am within the rules..I don't take what you say with much weight at all..thanks for telling me it's ok for me to have my thoughts and opinions :glare:

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
Of course it's fine to have your own thoughts and opinions, nobody need permission for that. My point was that your arguments would carry more weight if you bothered to try the mod you spend so much time trying to put down. I haven't personally tried a LT, but I'm not posting in a bunch of threads trying to dissuade people from that certain mod (which I haven't tried). You may not be starting threads to promote the LT or bash the provari, but your popping up in every thread that so much as mentions the two, in order to do so can be a bit tiresome. I know my particular opinion counts for little, but am hopeful, perhaps blindly, that something I say (or other who have mentioned the same thing) might click for you. Of course this probably done in vain, and I personally am not up for much more bickering. I'm glad you enjoy your mod and it does what you need it to do. Ultimately no matter how we get there, we're all ahead of the game not having to be chained to smoking. Let's just be happy for that, regardless of the differences in our preferences.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Of course it's fine to have your own thoughts and opinions, nobody need permission for that. My point was that your arguments would carry more weight if you bothered to try the mod you spend so much time trying to put down. I haven't personally tried a LT, but I'm not posting in a bunch of threads trying to dissuade people from that certain mod (which I haven't tried). You may not be starting threads to promote the LT or bash the provari, but your popping up in every thread that so much as mentions the two, in order to do so can be a bit tiresome. I know my particular opinion counts for little, but am hopeful, perhaps blindly, that something I say (or other who have mentioned the same thing) might click for you. Of course this probably done in vain, and I personally am not up for much more bickering. I'm glad you enjoy your mod and it does what you need it to do. Ultimately no matter how we get there, we're all ahead of the game not having to be chained to smoking. Let's just be happy for that, regardless of the differences in our preferences.

Yet you are trying to give me "permission" to have my opinions and thoughts :glare: I'm popping up in threads just like some Provari owners do whether they tried a LT or not.."a taste of their own medicine"..the funny thing is I never called their device crap just overpriced and lacking in options but built decently.

Your here to try to insult my opinion I see right through you..if you weren't insulting my opinion (and just generally being insulting while trying to look like you're being reasonable at the end) in this post I wouldn't be replying to it..yeah let's just be happy and have no opinions on a forum for opinions about VV..lol...

I up for the argument besides you and some others give me a good laugh :D Most of the time I find posting on here relaxing and the arguments are too because I am calm and arguments are stimulating..would I prefer they be less insulting?..sure but some people are just going to be insulting when they run out of arguments...

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Well, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here. I have my ego and love the stardusts on them. I did want to try something in variable voltage, but really was not interested in LR or DC. Just my startdusts. I figured the lavatube would suit my needs just fine so I bought a SS version with batteries and charger for $69. I don't know what the others were like, but the SS is very solid and heavy. I could use this thing as a club. Anyway, I love it and have no regrets at all for buying it. Except the stardust looks a little silly on it. Now those new vivi novas........hmmmmmm.

harleydiva

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Southern Michigan
I had a LT, and then bought a Provari. I prefer the Provari for the look and feel and solid construction. It also gives a more consistent performance, and never fails to fire like the LT does sometimes. But.....the LT has the advantage of the multiple buttons, and I set up a friend with it who has brain damage from an accident. It is much easier for her to use, and she is thrilled with it as a step up from her KGO. I don't mind the single button, but I will agree the LT is easier to change settings.

I have a vivi nova on the way.....as well as a couple of the 3ml phoenix tanks.....looking forward to trying them.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I do think you made my point for me. If you need to tow a 26 foot boat, buy a truck made to pull a 26 foot boat. Have six kids, buy a vehicle made to haul 8 passengers. Want to vape at 6 volts, buy a device that will let you vape at six volts. Don't be misled and buy a truck that says it is made to pull 26 foot boats that will only haul a 15 foot boat, an eight passenger van with only four seats, or a device that says you are vaping at 5.5 volts and only putting out 4.2 volts. Thank you for explaining this in that I couldn't have said it better.

To me, comparing the Lavatube with a Provari isn't a fair comparison, because of the price differnce. You talk about buying a truck to pull a large boat. You're correct, you need a bigger truck for that - and you're going to pay for it.

The lavatube isn't priced to compete with the Provari. The lavatube is priced to compete with the eGo's. It's very similar in price point to the eGo stuff, and it does a much better job than the eGo's do.

But you don't give a .... because "IT'S CRAP!!!!!!!"

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I think it's more consistent with human nature to want to justify why you did spend more money for something than why you didn't. Naturally, Provari owners will be more interested in evangelizing than LT owners. How many Chevy owners do you hear trying to justify why they didn't buy a Ferrari, even if they could afford it? There is such a thing as the law of diminishing returns that comes into play with everything from audio equipment to automobiles to PV's. Those who have a higher point at which they recognize diminishing returns are always most likely to diss the judgement of those with a lower point. You can see this every day in the fierce battles that rage on the audio forums between people who don't believe a well constructed, moderately priced speaker cable sounds any worse than a $100/ft. cable. The $100/ft. cable people swear up and down that they can hear the difference, despite the laws of physics and all results of double-blind testing being against them. So, to some degree, people who ignore the laws of diminishing returns and buy the highest priced item they can possibly afford are also buying a measure of perceived quality, i.e. confidence and Placebo effect. Since neither of these can be objectively measured or shared, they feel more compelled to justify their decision.

As it is, the Provari has enjoyed a position in the market that's fixing to get snatched out from underneath their feet. They will not be able to maintain their pricing and still sell to anyone but the same type of people who are convinced of the virtues of obscenely overpriced speaker cable. If Provari boosted their price to $500, these people would still buy them for no other reasons than the placebo effect and that they could brag about having a $500 PV. When the Smoketech is selling for $70 for a tube and $89 for a kit, those people will comprise nearly all of Provari's remaining customer base unless they drop their price significantly. Luckily for Provari, there are a lot of people like that, so they may get away with it for some time, but I'm not sure how long. Maybe they'll be able to pull it off with hype and meaningless techo-babble, the same way Monster Cable has been able to, but I'm sure they're more ethical than that.

I predict that Provari is about to get a dose of reality administered to them by the tag-team of Smoketech and the plethora of inexpensive and improved Lavatubes. As soon as the Smoketech VV price breaks the $100 floor, Provari is going to have to reassess their market position and pricing structure. Already, the writing is on the wall, as evidenced by their $159 sale prices. Once Smoketech gets some good reviews in, and a kit w/batteries and charger costs $99, look out Provari. My prediction is that it'll happen by the Fall of this year.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
To me, comparing the Lavatube with a Provari isn't a fair comparison, because of the price differnce. You talk about buying a truck to pull a large boat. You're correct, you need a bigger truck for that - and you're going to pay for it.

The lavatube isn't priced to compete with the Provari. The lavatube is priced to compete with the eGo's. It's very similar in price point to the eGo stuff, and it does a much better job than the eGo's do.

But you don't give a .... because "IT'S CRAP!!!!!!!"

Amen, brother. I just bought a Ferrari; that BMW I had sure was crap. I just bought a Lamborghini; that Ferrari I had was crap. I just bought a Bugatti; that Lamborghini I had sure was crap. I just bought a Lexus. Was that Toyota crap? No. It was a Toyota.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I'm not sure the placebo effect is really valid. For sure, some people will pay the big bucks just to have the satisfaction of owning something most people don't, but this is a new market for most people and I think most people are still pretty cost conscious. However, you're spot on about the law of diminishing returns. Is a $100 steak 10x better than a $10 steak? Is a $1000 steak 10x better than a $100 steak? The higher you go, the less bang for your buck. My only concern about the lavatube is how long it lasts and I haven't owned it long enough to tell. For performance, I see the lavatube as a major upgrade over the ego, but the provari as a minor upgrade over the lavatube.

knivesout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
MT
I predict that Provari is about to get a dose of reality administered to them by the tag-team of Smoketech and the plethora of inexpensive and improved Lavatubes. As soon as the Smoketech VV price breaks the $100 floor, Provari is going to have to reassess their market position and pricing structure. Already, the writing is on the wall, as evidenced by their $159 sale prices. Once Smoketech gets some good reviews in, and a kit w/batteries and charger costs $99, look out Provari. My prediction is that it'll happen by the Fall of this year.
AFAIK the provari has always been at the "sale" price of $159. It does seem silly to me that they do their pricing that way, as it's not really a sale if the price is always the same. IMO, there will always be people that prefer to buy quality US-made items when they can, especially when the vendor offers fantastic customer service. There's more to it than just a placebo effect as well, testing has shown it to be a solid device that does exactly what it claims to do. It will be interesting to see if Provape feels that they need to modify their pricing, but I have a feeling that they'll introduce new features to compete with the other mods coming out, as opposed to just dropping the price.

What you mentioned about diminishing returns does make sense, although comparisons to things like audio gear and Monster cables aren't really that applicable to PVs. Perhaps if there was testing to indicate that the LT and provari do the exact same thing, but all the available info doesn't seem to indicate that. Even if they did do their jobs identically, there will be people that are willing to pay more for better build quality and customer service/warranty support. Of course there are also those who would buy it just because "it's the best", or because it's price point suggests it's the best. I was definitely leery of paying that much for a mod, and I wouldn't have done so unless all the available data indicated that there was a significant difference in quality between the two mods.

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Sorry to be so blunt in my title, but it's simply fact as far as I see it.

Apparently, after a few months using my Lava Tube, I didn't even know what variable voltage vaping was. After just 5 minutes with the Provari, I now know how varying voltage was meant to affect the way ejuice vaporizes. As I vaped day to day with the LT, thinking I was pushing some serious power through my coils with the upper settings, I never knew the intense heat and TH that real 5v and above brings to vaping. What a mighty difference there is vaping the Provari at 5v to vaping the LT at 5v... with the same atty. The heat is a mind blower! Also, I can finally detect differences in the vape with small increments to the voltage, and now understand the concept of fine tuning a juice to its peak performance. If vaping were an RPG adventure, I feel like I have just leveled up! :2cool:

I'm not trying to get into a shootout with LT lovers, I'm just stateing fact the way I'm experiencing it, and hope that others can benefit from my experience. Perhaps the electonics in my LT are defective, and have been ever since I got it - but if they aren't, the difference in performance between the two is astounding, and reveals the LT to be seriously lacking in that department.

Happily in love with my Provari V2! Well worth the expenditure. :vapor:

Back several months ago I loved using the smoktech 1.7 resurrectors. so when I bought my Lt that's all I had. I know that when I read the description of the LT specs.. they said it was not recommended using LR cartos. But it had an amp ceiling of 2.5. OK.. I wanted to be able to use the resurrectors at 4-4.1 volts. that's well under the 2.5 amp limit so I figured I was safe. I wasn't. I took pictures of how my LT would not let me get above 3.8 with a resurrector that metered 1.8. with the voltage set at 4v my LT wouldn't let me get over 3.8v, even though the readout was still showing 4v.

the pictures can be seen in this thread. That's when I went straight to provape and ordered a provari. When I got it I did the same tests. When I first bought my provari, it was a v1 with a 2.5 amp limit. When I put a resurrector on it, it let me go right up to the amp limit before it told me I needed to lower the voltage. The voltage I set was the voltage I got... right up to the amp limit. I did send my provari in to get the v2 upgrade but I really didn't need to since I don't even go over 2.5 amps. But it was nice to know I had the latest upgrade.

For someone who likes a cooler vape or doesn't care about numbers then I guess the LT would be a fine device. I do like to see the numbers. The LT shows voltage with no load but it's the underload voltage that matters.. I guess I could have bought higher resistance cartos but I should have been able to use the cartos I had at the voltage I wanted to use them without being knocked down. When I got my provari I too was blown away by the difference. Right or wrong, good or bad these were the results I got and I wasn't satisfied with the LT I had. So I bought a device that gave me the results that did satisfy me. I don't think the LT is crap but it wasn't for me. I think I've finally gotten over being angry at the LT. I really wanted it to work for me. If it would have performed like it was advertised.. If it had lasted 6 months I would have been happy. There's talk of a new version. I'm sure there will be video reviews with voltmeters to see if this new version will actually give the voltage it's set at and hold that voltage. It can't be that hard, madvapes does it and only charges $35 for their vv mod. If such a device does come into existence, and the reviews are good then I'll recommend it to people who ask for recommendations. As for the placebo effect.. I could care less how many people own what, all I care about is having a device that works for me. Customer service is worth something too and I don't mind paying more for that piece of mind.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Back several months ago I loved using the smoktech 1.7 resurrectors. so when I bought my Lt that's all I had. I know that when I read the description of the LT specs.. they said it was not recommended using LR cartos. But it had an amp ceiling of 2.5. OK.. I wanted to be able to use the resurrectors at 4-4.1 volts. that's well under the 2.5 amp limit so I figured I was safe. I wasn't. I took pictures of how my LT would not let me get above 3.8 with a resurrector that metered 1.8. with the voltage set at 4v my LT wouldn't let me get over 3.8v, even though the readout was still showing 4v.

That's assuming the 2.5a limit is on the output on the LT..I'm pretty sure what's happening is a automatic limit not voltage drop..without a spec sheet it's hard to say what that limit is is could be a 2.5a limit on battery drain or the temperature sensor in the processor saying that's too hot turning it down.

I know when I test with my 2.5ohm CE2 I get a steady reading within hundredths of the volt up to the limit with no dropping of volts..so that shows me that the regulator works good. I did see something with the 3ohm atomizer that came with it but only well over 5v.

If the limit is on the battery side and you put a high drain on the battery as the voltage dropped down under the strain the amp limiter would drop the voltage. I suspect this is what might be going on..it's only speculation though without full specs of the device. If I ever do further testing I will post my results..if you use single coils in the 2-3ohm range that's the best place for the V1 "LT".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread