New squonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Got my Reosmod in & finally cleaned it up,, went from dull silver in color to bright silver like my silver Picos.. saw a few videos for mirror finish,,, someday when I get the time..

Well this marks the first time of going 100%mech without any safety fuses or kicks etc,,, I already respected vape safety so I think I will be fine,,, likely because I want to keep my teeth & face.

It appears I didn't order correctly so now I have 3 doors instead of 2,,, I call that a good thing.

Besides mirror finish, I need to find a "CNC" shop or something to see if they can engrave and possibly carve out part of the body (as a decorative feature) ,, its a bit taller and heavier than my other mods,,, I will adjust.

Anyway, thanks again for posting the pic with the 24mm atty, mine fits fine.

If you didn't know this already, your Reo does have a hot spring which functions like a fuse and drops the battery away from the positive contact in case of a short. You might want to purchase a few spare springs and maybe some other spare parts just for insurance. Reos are built to last but sometimes parts do wear out, get lost, etc.

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
Not really. The regulated board literally changes the voltage constantly to achieve the desired wattage, so by nature the voltage applied to the coil in a regulated device is going to fluctuate and not stabilize if it is in VW mode.

But if the voltage changes in a VW situation then the ohms must have changed. I don't get what other reason there would be for the voltage to change or fluctuate.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
But if the voltage changes in a VW situation then the ohms must have changed. I don't get what other reason there would be for the voltage to change or fluctuate.
As a coil heats up during a puff the resistance changes. As a coil accumulates vaping byproducts it's resistance goes up.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The mod does not calculate the voltage needed before or during firing. It simply applies voltage until it reaches the wattage limit set by the user, then decreases and increases the voltage rapidly to maintain that wattage and ohms has little to do with it, as the constant voltage change can quickly compensate for any ohm fluctuation. This can be seen easily when firing a mod that has a live voltage readout. The volts will jump a lot at first, then go up and down some as it tries to maintain the desired wattage. If the mod had to calculate when firing there would be a delay in the time when we press the button and when the mod fires, and manufacturers are aiming for instant firing so they are not going to add a feature that slows that process.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: AngeNZ

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
If you didn't know this already, your Reo does have a hot spring which functions like a fuse and drops the battery away from the positive contact in case of a short. You might want to purchase a few spare springs and maybe some other spare parts just for insurance. Reos are built to last but sometimes parts do wear out, get lost, etc.
Agree on parts & I did order Springs. My original spring acted broke yesterday..its all .... eyed.. I had the battery out Don't know what happened - I must have abused it.. Anyway I did work more on the body.. I maxed out at 2000 grit sandpaper so I need get 3000 + 5000
20190908_092139.jpg

Attachments

• 20190908_092045.jpg
    20190908_092045.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
That is looking good, kross.

Agree on parts & I did order Springs. My original spring acted broke yesterday..its all .... eyed.. I had the battery out Don't know what happened - I must have abused it.. Anyway I did work more on the body.. I maxed out at 2000 grit sandpaper so I need get 3000 + 5000 View attachment 837115

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
That is looking good, kross.
Thanks.. Watched a video on mirror finish.. Need higher sandpaper.

I have 3 doors..thinking about an acid wash /something for a light green.

Meantime I am looking for some clearish..about card stock thick to put behind the slotted door (greenish or something like mother of pearl)

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
As a coil heats up during a puff the resistance changes. As a coil accumulates vaping byproducts it's resistance goes up.

Kanthal is designed specifically to not change as temperature increases. It can clearly be seen on most regulated mods. The resistance stays pretty accurately the same during the puff. Other materials like stainless steel will and should increase during the puff.

The mod does not calculate the voltage needed before or during firing. It simply applies voltage until it reaches the wattage limit set by the user, then decreases and increases the voltage rapidly to maintain that wattage and ohms has little to do with it, as the constant voltage change can quickly compensate for any ohm fluctuation. This can be seen easily when firing a mod that has a live voltage readout. The volts will jump a lot at first, then go up and down some as it tries to maintain the desired wattage. If the mod had to calculate when firing there would be a delay in the time when we press the button and when the mod fires, and manufacturers are aiming for instant firing so they are not going to add a feature that slows that process.

If you replace "wattage" with "temperature" this makes sense to me. Otherwise I am not so sure. This is how I understand how it works:

50 times (or similar) each second, the mod does this:

1) Measure the resistance
2) Calculate the voltage required to achieve set wattage
3) Adjust the voltage to the calculated value

So according to ohms law, if the ohms are stable the voltage should be stable. If not, the signal is noisy which can of course be caused by the chip being crap. Judging from pbusardo's videos the DNA chips, among others, have a pretty stable signal/voltage.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Kanthal is designed specifically to not change as temperature increases. It can clearly be seen on most regulated mods. The resistance stays pretty accurately the same during the puff. Other materials like stainless steel will and should increase during the puff.

If you replace "wattage" with "temperature" this makes sense to me. Otherwise I am not so sure. This is how I understand how it works:

50 times (or similar) each second, the mod does this:

1) Measure the resistance
2) Calculate the voltage required to achieve set wattage
3) Adjust the voltage to the calculated value

So according to ohms law, if the ohms are stable the voltage should be stable. If not, the signal is noisy which can of course be caused by the chip being crap. Judging from pbusardo's videos the DNA chips, among others, have a pretty stable signal/voltage.

If it did calculate the data then why does the voltage not start at the needed amount instead of quickly scaling to it's limit? If it constantly has to calculate the data, it would also require a whole lot more processing power than if it just governs the output as it reads live data.

I feel we are pretty much at a bypass in this conversation, since neither of us have the equipment to thoroughly test this to get a definitive answer. But with everything I have seen my mods do, it leaves me to fully believe they do as I have described and just govern the live output since it is much more simple and is much easier and cheaper to get the same end result.

But on a side note, if you look at the graphs on the YouTube guys videos, you will see the graph always ramp up to the desired output and not just start where the limit was set, which also goes with what I described and not with it calculating and starting at the needed voltage.

But either way, thanks for the great conversation. I always like a debate that makes me second guess how I understand something.

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
If it did calculate the data then why does the voltage not start at the needed amount instead of quickly scaling to it's limit? If it constantly has to calculate the data, it would also require a whole lot more processing power than if it just governs the output as it reads live data.

I am not following you. What is the difference between "calculate the data" and "govern the output"? With regards to processing power, I would think that it is a piece of cake for modern chips to do the ohms law equation.

But on a side note, if you look at the graphs on the YouTube guys videos, you will see the graph always ramp up to the desired output and not just start where the limit was set, which also goes with what I described and not with it calculating and starting at the needed voltage.

Yes, there clearly is a ramp up. I do not know what causes it. But if the resistance changes during the puff, the voltage changes too, no?

But either way, thanks for the great conversation. I always like a debate that makes me second guess how I understand something.

Thanks the same. I appreciate how we keep this civilized as opposed to some other forums on the interwebs which appearently are crowded with 14 year olds.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
With Reo, my first squonker, closing their doors, I got one more. Then I got another.

silverveinday1.jpg

ReoMini-day1a.jpg

The black one there turned 5 years old last month.
Now he's got a baby sister to look after, lol.

I thought this thread was for New Squonkers:)
Not for all this hoo haa about wattage and voltage:confused:
I wanna see some Squonkers;)

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Agree on parts & I did order Springs. My original spring acted broke yesterday..its all .... eyed.. I had the battery out Don't know what happened - I must have abused it.. Anyway I did work more on the body.. I maxed out at 2000 grit sandpaper so I need get 3000 + 5000 View attachment 837115
3m lapping film goes up to 250000 grit if I remember right, may be more than needed, just fyi.
9 Sheet Variety 3M NON PSA (.3, 1, 3, 5, 9, 12, 30, 40, 60 microns) Lapping Film | eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread