New squonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I’m not worried about dry hits. I over squonk, if anything. That’s not what I use TC for though, it’s for the consistency. From one hit to the next, I am doing just fine with unregulated squonkers, but from the top of the battery to the bottom is another matter. I rather think TC would be more consistent but might drain my batteries down a lot more than I do with a mech, which gets fairly lame so I swap it out before it’s too low.

6 of one, half dozen of the other, lol.

I find I get more battery life with TC on my BF RDSs. It also works swimmingly for a preheat type setup on a restricted air build. Also, fine tuning flavor, even on something as incapable as a 90w topside is doable.

Reactions: DeloresRose

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I find I get more battery life with TC on my BF RDSs. It also works swimmingly for a preheat type setup on a restricted air build. Also, fine tuning flavor, even on something as incapable as a 90w topside is doable.
I didn’t consider pre heat. I use kind of high mass coils. That could be a plus for me.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I’m not worried about dry hits. I over squonk, if anything. That’s not what I use TC for though, it’s for the consistency. From one hit to the next, I am doing just fine with unregulated squonkers, but from the top of the battery to the bottom is another matter. I rather think TC would be more consistent but might drain my batteries down a lot more than I do with a mech, which gets fairly lame so I swap it out before it’s too low.

I get just as consistent of a vape with power mode as I do with TC. Mechanical or unregulated mods are a novelty to me, I just like to use a regulated so I can vape the battery down to 3.2V+\- with the exact same consistency as a fresh battery.

Fifteen pulls in on the Furyan and I'm looking to swap the battery out. :lol:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I get just as consistent of a vape with power mode as I do with TC. Mechanical or unregulated mods are a novelty to me, I just like to use a regulated so I can vape the battery down to 3.2V+\- with the exact same consistency as a fresh battery.

Fifteen pulls in on the Furyan and I'm looking to swap the battery out. :lol:

Most of mine are like that, but I can get most of a day with a Luna.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

I love TC with my RTAs - and I've spent all week comparing an Arctic Fox TC Squeeze 2 versus the Luna. Same RDA on top, same single wire build. I'm still reaching for the unregulated Luna more :thumb:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I tend to run my mechs down to 3.4v before the vape starts gets weak. My lower ohm builds will get a little weak at ~3.5v. I just strongly prefer the vape I get off of a mech than a regulated. I just don't like the feeling of a regulated, it is not smooth like a mech. The best way I can describe it is almost a choppy feeling vape. Might just be me, but I don't like it. Variable voltage feels smoother than variable wattage to me, but I have yet to find a regulated squonker that offers VV that also offers the ergonomics and/or design that work for me. I can't speak for temp mode, as I can't stand the types of wire that is required to use it.

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2015
    Variable voltage feels smoother than variable wattage to me, but I have yet to find a regulated squonker that offers VV that also offers the ergonomics and/or design that work for me. I can't speak for temp mode, as I can't stand the types of wire that is required to use it.

Variable wattage IS variable voltage. There is no technical difference. It is just that the value is presented in a more sensible manner.

So let's say you want twice as much power. In wattage mode you just dial in twice as many watts. In voltage mode, let's say you're on 5 volts on a 1 ohm coil and want twice as much power. Then you have to use ohms law and calculate it to be around 7 volts. In wattage mode the mod does that calculation for you, but the electricity which is sent to the coil is 100% the same.

With regards to smoothness it might be that you have used a mod with PWM. In ghat case it regulates the voltage DOWN by sending it in tiny pulses.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Variable wattage IS variable voltage. There is no technical difference. It is just that the value is presented in a more sensible manner.

So let's say you want twice as much power. In wattage mode you just dial in twice as many watts. In voltage mode, let's say you're on 5 volts on a 1 ohm coil and want twice as much power. Then you have to use ohms law and calculate it to be around 7 volts. In wattage mode the mod does that calculation for you, but the electricity which is sent to the coil is 100% the same.

With regards to smoothness it might be that you have used a mod with PWM. In ghat case it regulates the voltage DOWN by sending it in tiny pulses.

Variable wattage will fluctuate the voltage up and down to maintain a certain wattage. This can be seen on a mod that does a live readout of voltage while in wattage mode. Voltage and wattage are not the same thing.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Variable wattage IS variable voltage. There is no technical difference. ...

This Isn't Correct.

In VV mode, when I set my Mod to a Given Voltage, the Mod Outputs that Voltage No Matter what change in Ohms my Atomizer may experience.

But in VW mode, the Mod is Free to Change the Voltage to whatever it needs to maintain the Wattage I selected.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio

I have used many different regulated mods. From cheap to expensive. For example, a pico and a high end DNA mod both feel less smooth than a mech to me (the DNA does feel somewhat smoother than the pico, but still not mech level smoothness). This is because the voltage is being raised and lowered at a varying rate to maintain the wattage selected, not just being turned on and off at a constant rate like a PWM.

• Useful
    Reactions: AngeNZ

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
    Congratulations!
    I think I've seen a couple people POLISH the tumbled, too...if ya get bored, and want shiny. :)
    Got my Reosmod in & finally cleaned it up,, went from dull silver in color to bright silver like my silver Picos.. saw a few videos for mirror finish,,, someday when I get the time..

Well this marks the first time of going 100%mech without any safety fuses or kicks etc,,, I already respected vape safety so I think I will be fine,,, likely because I want to keep my teeth & face.

It appears I didn't order correctly so now I have 3 doors instead of 2,,, I call that a good thing.

Besides mirror finish, I need to find a "CNC" shop or something to see if they can engrave and possibly carve out part of the body (as a decorative feature) ,, its a bit taller and heavier than my other mods,,, I will adjust.

Anyway, thanks again for posting the pic with the 24mm atty, mine fits fine.

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2015
    I have used many different regulated mods. From cheap to expensive. For example, a pico and a high end DNA mod both feel less smooth than a mech to me (the DNA does feel somewhat smoother than the pico, but still not mech level smoothness). This is because the voltage is being raised and lowered at a varying rate to maintain the wattage selected, not just being turned on and off at a constant rate like a PWM.

You, and others who have pointed out the same, are correct that in VW mode the mod will adjust the voltage on the fly according to the resistance and set wattage. Some older mods, though, would just calculate the voltage when you push the button, i.e at the beginning of the hit. I think the DNA's calculate it about 50 times a second IIRC.

However, if because of this the voltage fluctuates so much that you can actually feel it I would think that there is something seriously suboptimal about the connection to the atomizer and/or coil.

Actually the vape should be smoother in that case in a VW situation, because if the connection gets worse during the hit the mod will adjust the power so the WATTAGE, which is what counts at the coil, stays the same.

Another thing, which you can see in pbusardo and djlsbvapes videos, is that on some mods the signal is noisy, typically at higher wattages. That might also explain the perception that the vape is smoother on a mech.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    You, and others who have pointed out the same, are correct that in VW mode the mod will adjust the voltage on the fly according to the resistance and set wattage. Some older mods, though, would just calculate the voltage when you push the button, i.e at the beginning of the hit. I think the DNA's calculate it about 50 times a second IIRC.

However, if because of this the voltage fluctuates so much that you can actually feel it I would think that there is something seriously suboptimal about the connection to the atomizer and/or coil.

Actually the vape should be smoother in that case in a VW situation, because if the connection gets worse during the hit the mod will adjust the power so the WATTAGE, which is what counts at the coil, stays the same.

Another thing, which you can see in pbusardo and djlsbvapes videos, is that on some mods the signal is noisy, typically at higher wattages. That might also explain the perception that the vape is smoother on a mech.
    I'd imagine on less than efficient buck/boost converters, pushed to their limits, especially on a barely adequate battery, this noise would be substantial.
    I prefer to vape in TC, which gives me quick ramp, and a quite consistent vape, withe the benefits of fuller range of cell charge, and throttling of watt hours used.

ETA: I do enjoy my mechs and unregulated mods too

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio

This has happened with every regulated device I have used. I highly doubt that all of them had the same connection issues.

Wattage is the result of voltage, so a stable voltage and stable ohm should result in a more stable (or smooth) vape.

And to clarify, I'm not claiming I can feel the up and down pulses exactly, I just can tell it isn't as smooth as a mech. It's subtle and hard to describe, but I can notice a difference. The difference is harder to spot in voltage or bypass mode than wattage mode.

• Useful
    Reactions: AngeNZ

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2015
    Wattage is the result of voltage, so a stable voltage and stable ohm should result in a more stable (or smooth) vape.

Ok, but if your ohms are stable the voltage should also be stable in VW mode, right? And in VV mode, if the ohms are not stable the watts and experience will not be stable either.

What you experience is your subjective perception. As long as you are happy that is what counts, whatever the objective truth might be. For me, I use VW (or VV if I must) first and foremost to avoid the decreasing voltage during the battery cycle, and for the added protection which I do not think I could rest assured without.

Reactions: HigherStateD

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Ok, but if your ohms are stable the voltage should also be stable in VW mode, right?

Not really. The regulated board literally changes the voltage constantly to achieve the desired wattage, so by nature the voltage applied to the coil in a regulated device is going to fluctuate and not stabilize if it is in VW mode.

But I agree, it is all down to the end user and what they like.

While I like the idea of regulated mods and the protections they offer, a mech is my ideal mod. I like the durability and dependability of mechs as well as how they hit. But this doesn't make anything else bad, just different. This discussion just proves it is all about what each person values in their equipment, that is what makes this industry interesting and versatile. Personal taste is everything, and there really is something for everyone out there any more.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread